test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Stuttering in game

doriangreighdoriangreigh Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 707 Arc User
edited May 2015 in General Discussion (PC)
I haven't played in a couple of weeks. Back then the game stuttered a bit but aside from rubberbanding lag it was ok, it was worse in the new areas such as spinward rise.

Now I stutter so bad its nearly unplayable EVERYWHERE. Is this a known issue on AMD CPU? Can it be fixed like in past with disabled cores or something?
Post edited by doriangreigh on

Comments

• doriangreighdoriangreigh Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 707 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    magenubbie wrote: »
    Don't think it's a CPU issue in this case. A lot of sloppy coding has been done with and after "rework" 6. But for me it hasn't been that horrible. Granted, the lag in Sharandar kills you before the mobs are within striking distance, especially when you're dealing with Quicklings, but I"ve seen no new issues recently.

What might have happened is that the patches over the last few weeks fragmented your hard drive. Just shooting blanks, but that's the most logical thing I can come up with. And by defragging overnight you lose nothing. Give it a shot?

My RAID drive its on says 0% fragmented so i'm guessing that isnt it.

My video drivers are up to date.

So no one else is having these major stuttering issues? It hurts my eyes after like 10 minutes of playing.
    edited May 2015
    magenubbie wrote: »
    Last suggestion I can think of.. Did the game put you back into DX11? If so, try DX9.

I actually took myself back out of it and that made things slightly and I mean SLIGHTLY better. I was in D3D9ex I think is the setting, put it back on auto and its slightly less choppy but still no where near as smooth as it was prior to M6. I was perfectly smooth, unless I was in Tiamat or with 20 - 30 people in doing dragon heralds prior to mod 6.

MOD 6 launched and I was stuttery in ebon downs just like I was in preview, and I was stuttery in the new areas especially spinward rise.

Now i'm stuttery in every area, including PE and dungeons are playable but OMG does it hurt my eyes after a bit. Plus i'm getting weird lag issues, not exactly rubberbanding but almost like teleporting.

I have none of these issues in another MMO I started playing.

I know in a previous game the developer actually had similar issues with stutteriness in a new expansion of the game, that actually caused me to quit, but they actually brought in outside contractors to work on the game and fix it. I don't know how long it took but they apparently fixed things all smooth.

I'm thinking that either PWE/Crytpic needs to do the same or just give up cause i'm pretty sure these issues are going ot get worse with every passing MOD/patch.

I was hoping for some work around since some time back there was an issue with AMD CPU's that if you disable some of the cores you got a smooth running game again but this time nothing seems to work and its annoying as all get out.
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Try to play with the advanced video options, turn on and off options improving performance. I turned on framerate stabilizer lately and it improved my FPS (I'd hate playing on low because of one event) during herald's runs, if it helps.
  • saksagansaksagan Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Hi there,
    i have the absolut same problem, the game becomes nearly impossible to play with all this stuttering. And this occured first with mod 6...maybe get more worse with every patch...but the last could just be my imagination.
    At first i thougt of a hardware issue, but changing all the graphic settings to very low doesnt help anything.

I am somekind of happy, that there are other poor people out there with the same problems...so maybe i not get mentally wasted^^
  • todddyb1todddyb1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    same here. mine just started a few days ago and the stuttering hurts my eyes after a while.
  • str8slayerstr8slayer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 715 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2015
    Some update within the past 3-5 months, the graphical optimization of the game has REALLY taken a turn for the worse. In areas where I used to get 50-60 FPS I'm now getting 25-35 without anything going on. This isn't even counting the areas which have had FPS issues since their release (sharandar/MC), some patch in the fairly recent past is causing problems with both Nvidia and AMD GPU's (mostly higher end ones). I'm running an AMD R9 GPU now and since before mod 6 I am getting TERRIBLE client crashes which would cycle my CPU up and somehow keep the process in memory even after I had terminated it... The only thing that's stopped these crashes is turning shadows to low or off, medium or higher and the game crashes within moments/minutes.

I highly doubt Cryptic has the resources to look at these problems and it's clear we're gonna be stuck with this buggy client/GPU code probably forever. This game's client has some serious performance issues that weren't there before, I almost feel bad for these guys...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    My guild leader has been complaining of stuttering issues since the CTA dropped. I myself noticed the game wasn't running very smoothly the last few days. Always seemed to be on my Combat HR. A simple relog appears to fix the problem for me. My pc uses DX11 although I set it to auto in-game but change it to DX9 whenever I run MC.
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • tonyswutonyswu Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Mute the game.

I had the same issue, in certain areas my game would stutter so bad the FPS drops to 2 while everyone else in my part was ok. I muted my game by turning the output device to "Digital Sound" in the Audio section, and the problem went away immediately.

I've sent in a ticket on this, they said they will forward to devs to take a look at.
    edited May 2015
    Glad to see i'm not the only one.

I have tweaked a number of settings, frankly I just recently clicked defaults on everything, drivers are all still the latest (same drivers for the past couple of months for my AMD video card seem to be the latest still).

The stuttering in some areas have gotten better although it still happens pretty often and still hurts my eyes but I can play at least an hour now before I get a headache from the choppiness. Most of which is inside dungeons it seems.

Everything is on default now except the DX setting which is back on D3D9ex so I don't have to keep swapping back and forth to run MC which is still borked when it comes to using any other display setting.

I was wondering if multi monitors might be an issue as my computer that is about 1 generation behind my main computer that also has AMD CPU (4100) and an AMD video card (HD6870) and that seems to run much smoother than my AMD (9370) with AMD (HD7970), but that older computer has a single monitor.

Any chance any of you folks with stutter have more than 1 monitor? Mostly I agree I think its on the program side which is a developer issue since I didn't have any of these issues prior to MOD6. Guess i'll wait to see the patch that got delayed to see if that makes anything better.
    edited May 2015
    Snow? Thanks i'll give that a shot, but basically are you saying I have to play with NO audio?
  • myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Ray Stephens stuttered, too, but he could sing without stuttering . . .
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."