test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

power debate

lordsarveriouslordsarverious Member Posts: 160 Arc User
edited May 2015 in The Library
I just started a Control Wizard, and have it to almost 20 now. I have seen many builds use Conduit of Ice in the Mastery Slot, and I am unsure why. I have it there, but I just don't really like it. I think Repel with Mastery might be better for mobs, as it keeps them from charging me. Could someone with more knowledge explain the CoI niceties?
Co-Founder of AoF Neverwinter Branch (TR 60, CW 60 SS)
Find me on XBL to get an interview to join the guild.
5.jpg
Post edited by lordsarverious on

Comments

• Options
    strictlyevilstrictlyevil Member Posts: 338 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Conduit of Ice on mastery adds chill stacks to enemies and increases the number of ticks of damage the ability has. Add that in with some feats that increase damage with chill stacks and it becomes a very useful ability to have on mastery. Repel might work in some very specific situations where your tank isn't able to hold agro too well but other than that freezing the enemies would be a much better way of controlling mobs than to just push them back.

At your level you aren't going to see any real big damage. Once you get to 60 and gear up you'll have enough abilities to control the mobs rather than have them jumping all over you.
    Ancient 18.8k CW | Ancient Heals 18k DC | Ancient Tank 22.2k GF | GT: XGC Army
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    tojoptojop Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    CoI in slot also works much better once you have access to Icy Terrain. With both skills adding chill to each enemy in range, along with Eye of the Storm.... Tastiness.
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Chill Strike in the mastery slot works better at low levels because it turns it into a very long range, hard-hitting AOE. Most of the times it should kill or almost kill whole packs of weaker mobs.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    lordsarveriouslordsarverious Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Thanks for the responses guys. That makes sense. I just hope I can get to like it until the other powers drop in. Back to the grind it seems. ;)
    Co-Founder of AoF Neverwinter Branch (TR 60, CW 60 SS)
    Find me on XBL to get an interview to join the guild.
    5.jpg
  • Options
    katamaster81899katamaster81899 Member Posts: 1,157 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    As ironzerg mentioned, chill strike is a good alternative to CoI on tab - it all comes down to personal preference.
    dulopa4e1d9.png
    || Axios Guild Leader || Neverwinter Trade Forum Moderator || Infernal Paragons ||
    Check out my foundry, titled "Akro's Gone Wacko", featuring our ex-CM Akromatik!: NW-DL8J7BY5T
    Erza Moonstalker | Lara Moonstalker | Julie Marvell | Erza Moonhunter | Annie Hellangel | Jenn Moonstalker
  • Options
    kingsd85kingsd85 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    ironzerg79 wrote: »
    Chill Strike in the mastery slot works better at low levels because it turns it into a very long range, hard-hitting AOE. Most of the times it should kill or almost kill whole packs of weaker mobs.
    So is putting chill strike in mastery is pointless at 60?
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    kingsd85 wrote: »
    So is putting chill strike in mastery is pointless at 60?

In my opinion, yes. Putting CS in mastery doesn't give you anything that CoI doesn't do better. My normal skill slate for T2 dungeons is CoI in mastery, Chill Strike, Entangling Force, and Icy Terrrain active. Ice Knife and Oppressive Force for dailies. Depending on Boss fights I'll switch out CS or IT for Ray of Enfeeblement. Btw I'm Renegade build, passives are Eye of the Storm and Spell Storm
  • Options
    katamaster81899katamaster81899 Member Posts: 1,157 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    tojop wrote: »
    In my opinion, yes. Putting CS in mastery doesn't give you anything that CoI doesn't do better. My normal skill slate for T2 dungeons is CoI in mastery, Chill Strike, Entangling Force, and Icy Terrrain active. Ice Knife and Oppressive Force for dailies. Depending on Boss fights I'll switch out CS or IT for Ray of Enfeeblement. Btw I'm Renegade build, passives are Eye of the Storm and Spell Storm

If you're going to use chill strike in a PVE build, it is only viable in spell mastery, as that is the only way it becomes an AoE encounter.
    dulopa4e1d9.png
    || Axios Guild Leader || Neverwinter Trade Forum Moderator || Infernal Paragons ||
    Check out my foundry, titled "Akro's Gone Wacko", featuring our ex-CM Akromatik!: NW-DL8J7BY5T
    Erza Moonstalker | Lara Moonstalker | Julie Marvell | Erza Moonhunter | Annie Hellangel | Jenn Moonstalker
  • Options
    mizzou0mizzou0 Member Posts: 41
    edited May 2015
    I would suggest running COI in mastery along with steal time, icy terrain and sudden storm.
    That is my AoE loadout.
    MIZZOU
    Control Wizard
  • Options
    frankherbfrankherb Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I thought that cs adds aoe damage to targets that are frozen
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    If you're going to use chill strike in a PVE build, it is only viable in spell mastery, as that is the only way it becomes an AoE encounter.

You're definitely not wrong. I edited that post a couple times before posting, and ended saying the exact *wrong* thing. Chill Strike is for when I'm soloing, and a single target stun is actually useful. For T2 dungeons that spot becomes Steal Time. Other skills are pretty much the same across the board, save for the occasional slotted Ray of Enfeeblement when I'm trying to set records against dragons, or some such.

Preview is my friend....