test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Evil Gods ??

mezzlomezzlo Member Posts: 4 Arc User
edited May 2015 in General Discussion (PC)
Will the Evil Gods ever make it into the game? It would be nice to once again be a true disciple of Cyric and I believe it would truly round out the full scope of the realms.
Post edited by mezzlo on

Comments

• tyria501tyria501 Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    This is why we have Roleplay. Unfortunately we will probably never have the option to actually select an evil god for our patron in character creation.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    mezzlo wrote: »
    Will the Evil Gods ever make it into the game? It would be nice to once again be a true disciple of Cyric and I believe it would truly round out the full scope of the realms.

Think of it like this - the deity listed on your character sheet is simply who you declare you worship to the Neverwinter guards - it could very well be that that was a lie, and your true allegiance lies elsewhere...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • nehemiah217nehemiah217 Member Posts: 181 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    mezzlo wrote: »
    greyloche wrote: »
    if you believe that money is the root of all evil. i would argue that an evil god may already be worshiped in the game.

He DID say he'd like to be a true disciple of Cryptic...

Oh, oh, he said Cyric... Not Cryptic.... I thought he said Evil... Sorry about that. My mistake....
  • whitupigguwhitupiggu Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I vaguely remember them saying a long time ago they wouldn't add evil gods. So if you want to make an evil character you're stuck with oghma or tempus.
  • mezzlomezzlo Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I understand all of what you are saying,it would just be nice for role playing. Yes I also know the a disciple of Cyric does not go around declaring he serves a evil deity. I guess since I am old school D & D that I prefer more than instant gratification in a game and see how much more there could be to this game.
  • mezzlomezzlo Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Also who stole the name Mezlo ???? I have been using that name since 1979 when I created my first D & D toon. I would like to meet him :)
  • suicidalgodotsuicidalgodot Member Posts: 2,465 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    ...I see an option that would be pleasing for all: Offer an Expanded Religion Change Token For 3000 ZEN - evil deities unlock included... :^/
  • phoenix1021phoenix1021 Member Posts: 532 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Playing an evil character wouldn't make any kind of sense in this game. I'd be more interested in having more choice of good deities! (Ilmater, Bahamut etc.)
  • isoplethisopleth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I'd be more interested in having more choice of good deities!

I'm surprised more haven't already been added. The pickins are slim for certain races - my drow characters for example have a hard time with the choices we have. I'm lost without Eilistraee but I believe she is dead during this somewhat awkward time period they chose for the setting. I don't even know what I'd pick for a half orc.. Tempus I guess? :/
  • yriel3yriel3 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    isopleth wrote: »
    I'm surprised more haven't already been added. The pickins are slim for certain races - my drow characters for example have a hard time with the choices we have. I'm lost without Eilistraee but I believe she is dead during this somewhat awkward time period they chose for the setting. I don't even know what I'd pick for a half orc.. Tempus I guess? :/

Eilistraee is 100% alive in the era this game is set (post Sundering 5e Forgotten Realms, see here). Ed Greenwood himself confirmed that she and Vhaeraun too are back here, and by his contract what he says is considered canon.

Also there is an interesting passage in his upcoming novel, Spellstorm, saying that Eilistraee is one of the deties with whom the returned Mystra is sharing the Weave.
  • k3ll0k3ll0 Member Posts: 373 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The Faerunian pantheon is turning into a **** telenovela.
    Not that it wasn't pretty close to begin with.

Anyways, at least back in the editions I'm familiar with (ie. 3.x) the Neutral alignements were entirely legit for even clerics of the less pleasant deities. Plus in many cases whatever the divinity's personality issues the portfolio covered phenomena that even the most right-thinking folk will readily acknowledge as an inescapable if unpleasant part of life, and as such the relevant god/dess due a certain degree of appropriate respect if only to avoid pissing them off and incurring their wrath. Eg. if I recall correctly the goddess of bad luck was routinely invoked and paid due respect in marriage ceremonies to avoid ruffled feathers (she has jealousy issues), and it was mentioned in one of the sourcebooks that Malarite huntsmen often acted as sort of rough-and-ready communal law enforcement in rural areas - manhunt is a hunt like any other as far as the Beastlord is concerned, presumably.
    Which is incidentally a rather faithful rendition of how people have IRL tended to entreat with deities handling such topics.

It's really just the more inveterately power-mad, control-freak jerkasses like Cyric, Shar, Bane and Llolth that might cause problems in terms of narrative coherency. Most of the rest of the fouler-tempered Ferunian divine crowd isn't AFAIK overly concerned with what their followers specifically get up to as long as they pay their patrons due respect and subscribe to their basic philosophies.
    edited May 2015
    Yes, Torilian people usually worship a wide variety of gods, praying each one accordingly to what they want to get. A sailor could pray to Selune to show him the way in his travels, and to Umberlee and/or Talos in order to avoid feeling their wrath. As you say, people pray to evil gods mostly out of fear of attracting their attention (and therefore bad stuff) upon themselves. So, it could make sense to include certain evil deities as character options.
  • phoenix1021phoenix1021 Member Posts: 532 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    yriel3 wrote: »
    Yes, Torilian people usually worship a wide variety of gods, praying each one accordingly to what they want to get. A sailor could pray to Selune to show him the way in his travels, and to Umberlee and/or Talos in order to avoid feeling their wrath. As you say, people pray to evil gods mostly out of fear of attracting their attention (and therefore bad stuff) upon themselves. So, it could make sense to include certain evil deities as character options.

No it wouldn't. That choice in the character screen is your main deity, not the one you give lip service out of fear.
    You can't follow your deity half-assed, their is a very severe punishment for that in the afterlife. If you chose Talos, you better get out there and destroy things and believe in his supremacy, or else you have a real bad problem.
    And during the 1-60 campaign we are openly working against at least Asmodeus, Shar, Lolth and Cyric. That's also why warlocks have Belial/Fiona as patron and why they constantly tell you how disappointed they are about your good ways.
    I know playing evil might sound "cool", but we are really the good guys here. And that's how D&D mostly is, playing the good guys fighting monsters and evil people.
  • totallyspamtotallyspam Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The Evil Gods have arrived, they've embedded themselves into the codes for M6.
    edited May 2015
    No it wouldn't. That choice in the character screen is your main deity, not the one you give lip service out of fear.
    You can't follow your deity half-assed, their is a very severe punishment for that in the afterlife. If you chose Talos, you better get out there and destroy things and believe in his supremacy, or else you have a real bad problem.
    And during the 1-60 campaign we are openly working against at least Asmodeus, Shar, Lolth and Cyric. That's also why warlocks have Belial/Fiona as patron and why they constantly tell you how disappointed they are about your good ways.
    I know playing evil might sound "cool", but we are really the good guys here. And that's how D&D mostly is, playing the good guys fighting monsters and evil people.

I see your point, but IMO some ''grey zone'' evil deities could be added and make sense within the game. Mask and Vhaeraun are an example, especially considering that they are enemies of Shar and Lolth, respectively, that they are completely fine with neutral followers and that they are both back in the present era (and for Vhaeraun, that the game seems to assume that drow characters are renegades, so he -and his sister- wouldn't be out of place). In general, Neverwinter wouldn't be hurt by ''grey'' options (or by more options at all).
  • lesplelesple Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    tousseau wrote: »
    And here I thought it was the Iconians... :p

Nah, it's obviously empress Sela.
    What's a signature and what does it do?