test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Bone Idol - Campaign

kithliskithlis Member Posts: 217 Arc User
This campaign is my tribute to D&D CRPGs of the past. Like many, I grew up with the Black Isle RPGs.
My campaign is it's own story, but those who share that past and pay attention may catch a few of my references to those games of old... and hopefully through the story and optional quests of this campaign, I was able to instill in them perhaps an ever-so-tiny spark of what I enjoyed once upon a time.

Story and characterization come first in my quests, but I do like to mix-n-match encounters to add a little challenge.
I tried to offer balanced combat for the solo player. Clerics might find some parts tougher, CWs might find bits a little easier.
I also enjoyed crafting in the foundry, so a couple of my maps are completely customized - so perhaps you'll see something you haven't before!
The Bone Idol
by @kithlis
NWS-DHAWD84o8

Campaign: The Bone Idol of the Dead Three - long thought lost to time, or never to have existed - depicts the contest between Bane and two other old gods, Bhaal and Myrkul, for their powers of divinity.
Through the ages, it fragmented and lost its power.

Retired Adventures, Salbuthan Anrahael and Kallin Ban, proudly display it in their treasure gallery...

... but is the Idol all it seems? And why has it drawn such sinister interest?

#Story; #Characters; #Solo; #SideQuests; #Eventful; #Exploration; #BlackIsleTribute; #CustomMaps; #TrollPoo?

Playtime: Target is ~20min for each quest. Listed play-times may be longer due to bonus quests and optional dialogue. Your mileage may vary.

Part 1: Idol Hands - NW-DG6DZO4ZB - Daily Eligible -

Part 2: Idol Threats - NW-DL3H3SAEC - Daily Eligible -

Part 3: Idol Hearts - NW-DIYPEF53Z - Daily Eligible -

Part 4: Fallen Idols - NW-DFTYG5o6D - Daily Eligible -

Poster_zps8918d9ac.jpg
Devilish enemies conspire in Part 1!

ShadowsGrave_zps76bd87da.png
What lurks beneath a forgotten village? Find out in Part 2!

NewEnemies_zps1166a73c.png
The plot thickens in Part 3!

SafeAndSound_zps83e25dcd.jpg
Where are we safe, if not at home? The story ends where it starts - catch the finale in Part 4!
Post edited by kithlis on

Comments

• kithliskithlis Member Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Part 4 has recently made it to Daily Eligible... oddly before Parts 2 and 3. Both are close and then it'll be a 4-pack of Dailies :)
    edited December 2013
    All 4 quests have now made Daily Eligible.
  • roguish98roguish98 Member Posts: 78
    edited December 2013
    I played "Idol Hands" prior to leaving for work this morning. I thoroughly enjoyed its characters and story! I am subscribed and will continue to support this author's fine work. The nods to other promising Foundry efforts at the end was a neat and appreciated touch.

Thank you,
    roguish98, AKA Calista Blacksea
    edited December 2013
    roguish98 wrote: »
    I played "Idol Hands" prior to leaving for work this morning. I thoroughly enjoyed its characters and story! I am subscribed and will continue to support this author's fine work. The nods to other promising Foundry efforts at the end was a neat and appreciated touch.

Thank you,
    roguish98, AKA Calista Blacksea

Thanks!

The cameo characters that advertise other Foundries at the end of Part 1 were part of an initial contest that I ran when the quest was new. Players that took the time to do my Bonus Quest could advertise a Foundry of their choice (built by them or someone else), through an NPC they designed. I was hoping that it would make the Repertory feel more "alive" and a little like a "quest hub".
    I'm very thankful to those that did win - as they often gave me pointers on how I could improve as well.

I had thoughts about doing another similar contest for later quests, but the first one was a lot of work to maintain, and took a while longer to actually get 5 winners.

Glad you enjoyed the first Part :)
    Definitely appreciate the feedback!
    edited September 2014
    I'm making some updates to the Campaign, since I haven't really touched it in nearly a year. We've had three new Modules since then!

I'm also going to re-tool the way I tried to do choice-continuity between parts 2-3-4. It's a little too bulky.
    The "code-for-item" paradigm works, but it's not very user-friendly.

I have given Part 1 an update over this last weekend, and depending on available playtime, I might get the other three finished up before the end of the month.
    Sadly, I removed the cameos at the end of Part 1, too many of them were dead ends, as the quests they advertised have fallen to the void.

These will mostly be cosmetic and cleanup changes. I will use new assets (such as the Bane Shrine) when they suit the quest, but I don't plan on changing the tone, pace, or intensity of the quests.

The end goal is to submit for Featuring, and I'd like to have the whole campaign touched-up before submitting one.

If anyone will/did play the quests, if you have any suggestions on new assets that would enhance the quality, please feel free to suggest!
  • mrthebozermrthebozer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Hey man,

Sounds like we split/came back at roughly the same time. It's been too long since I played Bone Idol, so I'll give it another pass this week at some point on my ranger and get back to you.

Welcome back!
    c447.png
  • orangefireeorangefiree Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,148 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    It's been a long time since I played these, but I remember something about having to destroy an object during one of the bosses. (Not going to say what it was or what the boss was to avoid spoilers) I think reskinning a summoning portal to an invisible ghost and sticking it inside said object would flow better than a simple interaction. You'd have to make said object lose collision in order for it to work, but that isn't too hard especially since the inverse visibility thing works now you can just set it to be visible unless someone has an item that isn't obtainable anywhere in the quest.

Also, welcome back to both of you.
    Neverwinter players are stubborn things....until you strip them down to bone. (Cursed players, my flowers, MINE!) Oh how I plotted their demise.
    edited September 2014
    Thanks for the encouragement and notes, guys! I have worked through a short list of things to change that I found myself, too - just a small to-do list, which mostly consists of the mechanic for translating player-choice between the last 3 parts.

It's also encouraging to see the occasional play and tip, still!
  • kendaricvkendaricv Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Just got around to try it out, solid work so far (doing part 2 at the moment). One problem I noticed in part 2: In the cave, after you crossed the bridge by using the sword, it's possible to get stuck when you spawn the three chests. As you can't get back to the platform after a relog, you can get stuck completely.
    edited September 2014
    kendaricv wrote: »
    Just got around to try it out, solid work so far (doing part 2 at the moment). One problem I noticed in part 2: In the cave, after you crossed the bridge by using the sword, it's possible to get stuck when you spawn the three chests. As you can't get back to the platform after a relog, you can get stuck completely.

Blast! I thought I fixed that... hmm ok. (Also I was able to unstuck by doing "/stuck")
  • kendaricvkendaricv Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    It worked when I redid the cave part after a longer log-out. Wow, part three was a nice twist in the story, well done.
    Will give part four a try tomorrow.
    edited September 2014
    kendaricv wrote: »
    It worked when I redid the cave part after a longer log-out. Wow, part three was a nice twist in the story, well done.
    Will give part four a try tomorrow.

Thanks - I have it fixed in Foundry now, and it will go out with the next publish. That might be a little bit while I rework the choice/token continuity between the last parts (in progress in foundry, preventing a republish while it's 1/2 done).

Part 1 was submitted for Featuring. No looking back now.
    edited October 2014
    Parts 2-4 have been tweaked to remove the bulky continuity-codes, instead relying on simple questions to the player on what they accomplished in the previous parts.

I think I caught all the interactions affected by the changes. I'll head through myself soon to make sure it all translated into LIVE.
  • driftrunnerdriftrunner Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I have been into the Bone Idol quest for the first time... LOVE it. I got to Part 3 and ran into a single problem: after defeating ???, i cannot find any way to advance. If I teleport out and back in, I can only face his Simulacrums... so I am officially stuck... fantastic event, otherwise!
    YT?
    edited November 2014
    Ack! You're right - the encounter group didn't get split correctly. Incoming hotfix!

Update: hmm, working in foundry correctly, but not translating to LIVE. I'll have to look at it some more tomorrow!
    edited November 2014
    Fixed!

Make sure you have Version # 1.51 (at bottom of quest description). You may have to abandon the quest in your log in order to pick it up again.
    Sometimes the game UI is buggy and it doesn't list the correct updated version. 1.5 = Broken. 1.51 = Fixed.

The final fight in Part 3 is now a little more challenging (as I couldn't split the encounter).
  • driftrunnerdriftrunner Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    kithlis wrote: »
    The final fight in Part 3 is now a little more challenging (as I couldn't split the encounter).

So long as I don't get stuck in the shield, difficult is ok...
    edited November 2014
    This campaign was awesome... as far as anything in NW can be... WELL done!
    edited November 2014
    This campaign was awesome... as far as anything in NW can be... WELL done!

Thanks driftrunner! Glad you enjoyed it - and thanks for pointing out the issue in part 3!
    edited April 2015
    Unsure if there were recent changes to prevent farming quests, the the way I had some encounters split caused issues in Part 1. I also had "too many enemies" in a small space, and had to trim back for one of my timers.

I think all the issues are worked out of Part 1, though the final battle has more enemies now. Possible additional tweaks soon, but it's at least playable again.

Edit: On patch note review I found this: "Social aggro has been adjusted so nearby enemies are more likely to attack you when you have aggroed another enemy in that encounter."

This would explain why my split encounters were acting strangely.
    edited September 2015
    DylVKRl.jpg

@Locksheon's Twitch Stream was a ton of fun to watch! Check out his trailer of clips from his playthrough of The Bone Idol!
    https://youtu.be/nmD5HNaBH4U

You can find info on his channel, and other foundries he's streaming here: Forum Link
    Post edited by kithlis on