test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

GF Tank/DPS Build Advice

carmen5544332211carmen5544332211 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
edited June 2015 in The Guard Barracks
Ok so I just started a GF yesterday and I really like it but I want to be sure I pick the powers that I like and are not completely useless so I want you guys to tell me what are the best powers at endgame for both PvE and PvP. I want to have a hybrid of a tank and a DPS or striker so please keep that in mind when referring powers.

Currently I like Enforced Threat and Lunging strike, are those good powers at endgame or do I eventually get an upgrade for them?

(I am currently lv 19 if that helps)
Post edited by carmen5544332211 on

Comments

• crixus8000crixus8000 Member Posts: 1,205 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2015
    For pve in group play I would reccomend - Enforced threat - Knights valor - Into the frey

If you are struggling with survivability maybe swap one of them for iron warrior depending on the situation.

For pve solo play - lunging strike - anvil of doom for dps and last one is up to you although I would go with frontline surge if you was IV

For PVP dmg the most versatile I would say is - Bull charge - anvil of doom - lunging strike

If you don't have that much dps have anvil still slotted for dmg and either frontline surge, bull charge or flourish for controll and then last power KV to support the team. You could also swap out anvil or your controll power for something like iron warrior to make you very hard to kill.

I would say shield talent class feature is amazing, it's bis in pve and pvp in my opinion. And if your SM go with steel defence class feature too. In pve and have fighters recovery daily power slotted 100% of the time since it will gain your life back great in pve and works very well with steel defence.

For pvp use a controll daily or a defensive one like supremacy of steel or villains menace. Have shield talent slotted and your other class feature maybe ferocious reaction if your IV or combat superiority, steel defence, shield warriors wrath or desperate survival are all other good choices.

I hope this helps :)
    Crixus - PVP GF
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kysuunkysuun Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The following is a link to one of the leading (I am using it) GF builds. It is very detailed.

http://guidescroll.com/2013/05/neverwinter-guardian-fighter-hybrid-tank-pve-build/
  • negepicmaggotnegepicmaggot Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Once Servers back up on Xbone I will take pics of my lvl 58 GF Build.....im no expert but I can take a lot of punishment and deal it out just as quickly!....I hope it help even if it is just for a guide

I will say that if this is your first then you must understand that a GF is not a huge damage dealer...it is however one of the most wanted class's after cleric for epic dungeons......it is not about the damage they deal....but rather the damage they can take.....you are there in pve solely to take the Threat off your group.......with a good tank and a good cleric the rest of team can concentrate on the boss whilst the tank(GF) deals with the rest....
  • hydrosmurf75hydrosmurf75 Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    kysuun wrote: »
    The following is a link to one of the leading (I am using it) GF builds. It is very detailed.

http://guidescroll.com/2013/05/neverwinter-guardian-fighter-hybrid-tank-pve-build/

There has been two MAJOR updates that made that build horrible from what I read on the bottom of the page. That build was posted 2 years ago.....
  • traumapaladintraumapaladin Member Posts: 31
    edited April 2015
    Ok so I just started a GF yesterday and I really like it but I want to be sure I pick the powers that I like and are not completely useless so I want you guys to tell me what are the best powers at endgame for both PvE and PvP. I want to have a hybrid of a tank and a DPS or striker so please keep that in mind when referring powers.

Currently I like Enforced Threat and Lunging strike, are those good powers at endgame or do I eventually get an upgrade for them?

(I am currently lv 19 if that helps)

Don't follow any guide online without fact checking it with a high level GF that has completed current high level end game content such as castle never or lostmauth. All the guides I have found are outdated, just terrible, or both. With that in mind I am GF with 15k GS and have completed castle never, will be doing lostmauth as soon as my campaign progress allows, and while my build may not be min maxed to the utmost it will work for anyone. The primary rotation of powers I use are into the fray, enforced threat, and frontline surge as my encounters. My at wills are threatening rush and tide of iron. These are picked to fulfill the two roles every tank in every dungeon is expected to fill in every dungeon 1. Hold aggro 2. Crowd control 3. Buff allies/debuff enemies. Daily powers are up to personal preference almost all of them are viable given the situation. Passive powers go with enhanced mark for added threat generation and furious reaction for those o $&@% moments.As for paragon paths and feats go Iron Vanguard and invest your paragon feat points into tactician the final buff at the end of the feat tree will be extremely valuable to your group in end game content when control wizard dailies being up can spell salvation or doom. The feats you pick in getting there are less important than your end point, but use your better judgement on what seems most valuable. DO NOT spec your character for damage unless you are planning on only doing PvP a high damage tank is worthless in a dungeon when he is dead more often than he is alive. Now as for gear I suggest working toward the grand regent tier 2 set as the stats on it are amazing and the 20% increase to power derived from your defense stat doesn't hurt at all. My current character derives about a third of his total power from this set bonus. Build your character for defense, health points, deflection, and regeneration in that priority order. When your damage mitigation hits about 45% your deflection hits about 30% you know you are in the right ball park. From there begin stacking armor pen, power and crit as you will be hitting diminishing returns on your primary defense stats. Armor pen should stop being stacked at around 2000, power has no diminishing return as far as I know so stack away, and crit isn't a very good stat for a GF so only stack this after your armor pen reaches the 2k mark which will not be any time in the near future. This is a pretty lengthy explanation for 1 forum post sorry if it seems a little condensed and convoluted, but I promise that if you follow this build you will be end game viable and likely will be the preferred tank by every group.
  • zachwhozachwho Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Agreed with above, the guides for the IV conqueror build are extremely out dated. The main thing that made those guides work was an armor set bonus that now sucks. Get either the grand regent set or the high general. I recommend the GR. Go tactician. The cap stone power is great for groups.
    edited April 2015
    And to add more, your cap on armor pen is 24%. Bosses have 24% damage resistance. This is the number you want to aim for. When you look at your character sheet, on the stats tab, you will see your armor pen rating. That value gives you a certain % of the mods damage resist you will ignore with your abilities. What this doesn't show (as far as I'm aware) is the % of resist ignore you get from dexterity. For every point above 10 in dex, you get 1% resist ignore. I personally have a 14 dex. That gives me 4% resist ignore, so I'll need to make up the rest with armor pen value to reach 24%. I always socket dark enchants in my offensive slot for this reason.
  • arakk00arakk00 Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'm an experienced GF from the PC server. A BiS Conqueror GF can keep up with low-geared DPS classes- but against similar geared players, no GF spec can currently do enough damage to compete. INSTEAD, a good Guardian Fighter focuses on BUFFING, DEBUFFING, and TANKING. As of mod 5, no spec is better at this than Tactician. Feats in this tree have your encounter powers up faster, debuff the damage done by mobs, directly buff your party's damage, and even give you and your group free action points whenever you take damage. You should be picking to improve the group versus improving 'you'. Similarly, once you get the Tactician capstone (big feat), you should grab Plate Agility and Shield Defense from Protector to maximize your tanking power.

A mod 5 Guardian Fighter will not do any DPS. Ever. Conqueror is a PvP spec- so is Protector's capstone. Tactician is the way to go for a pure PvE character.
    A <Friendly Dragon>!
    edited April 2015
    Amen to the above on all accounts!
  • boatmanfall3nboatmanfall3n Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I absolutely agree with the above in that a good tank should be concerned about his group and not themeslf.

Even at a full DPS spec you will never outweigh the benefit of buffing 3 DPS classes and/or debuffing the enemy.

One of your main goals as a tank is to make the DPS and healer's life as easy as possible by keeping enemies grouped on you, thus away and off of them.

What at-will powers are you end game tanks using? I love threatening rush to keep mark on as many targets as possible which indirectly buffs DPS classes. We have to dish out damage to maintain threat though. We cannot just mark everything and hold agro.

I tend to use threatening rush and cleave but I would like to drop cleave for tide of iron. Thoughts? Is it still possible to put out enough AOE damage with enforced threat and aggravating strike to maintain agro on large groups of mobs?
    edited April 2015
    I pretty much have threatening rush/cleave on my bar at all times. I swap cleave for tide on boss fights where in on the boss, like spider queen and world dragons
  • tgsmoothtgsmooth Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    My GF is a Swordmaster and I have utterly destroyed IV Gf's in pvp even when it was them and other players with them. I can easily handle 2 enemies at a time... IMO Swordmaster is the way to go. You can still fulfill your roll in PVE and Tank pretty easily. Me and my CW have beaten T2 bosses by ourselves. My recommendation is getting the blood crystal artifact for 24,000 glory and upgrading it to an epc. This will give you additional Guard/Stamina Gain. Also Grand Regent Armor is the way to go for this path. For those that are pro IV why would you wear grand regent for the power gain when your so bent on tanking and not damage. Some of us tank want to be able to do more than beat on one T2 ad for 5 minutes to kill it.... Tanking gets extremely boring. If this is the case for you get the Ioun Stone companion and start stacking it with AP and Power. For those that Disagree At 15k I'm trucking with over 5,000 Power - 1,400 Crit- 1,600AP - 1,200 Recovery - 2,200 Deflection and 5,300 Defense. I'm not saying this is going to make you hit for that much more in T2 but the difference is a nice change in pace, with crushing surge I average about 4,300 a swing. I love my Gf and I have yet to see one out score me in PVP unless they are on a tenacitied out team ....or stealing their mates kills lol . So hope this helps anyone, theres always options to consider.
  • xrollxtidexxrollxtidex Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I agree with tgsmooth^^

I'm a 16k GS Swordmaster, Protector build. I have very similar stats as listed above. ~4200 power ~2200 Arpen ~5500 Defense, ~2300 deflection ~1300 Regen ~ 1500 Recovery. I also have an Ioun stone but am using my stone to stack power and HP mainly. I put my Arpen on my character for PvP. I have 50%+ DR and 33%+ deflect. I also have the complete Grand Regent set. I also saved up my glory to 24k and bought the blood raven crystal asap. And like above, I have yet to encounter an enemy GF give my any problems in PvP. I'm currently saving up for my Profound PvP set.

At wills = crushing surge, tide of iron
    dailies = supremacy of steel, crescendo
    encounters = knights valor, into the fray, enforced threat, lunging strike, anvil of doom, bull charge
    features = shield talent, guarded assault, steel defense

I change them accordingly to what I am going to be doing, PvE group, PvE solo, PvP

I absolutely LOVE my GF and have had multiple randoms in game ask me for GF tips.
    Roll Tide : Guardian Fighter
    ASYLUM
  • nyotskinyotski Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    being a pure tank is boring, it takes forever to finish daily campaigns on your'e own.
  • tristan313tristan313 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Just created a Guardian Fighter myself a few weeks ago. I hated how slow he was (even Rangers got a funky leaf-dash forward), while the only way to move forward quickly was the Lunging Strike move. <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> as it is, I stopped using him for other classes. Got back into him this past weekend and took Iron Vanguard for Threatening Rush (mini Lunging Strike with Marking mechanic! Marks target and nearby enemies!)... He's up to lvl 37 now and I think he's a bit more fun with the loadout I've got on him.

He's a Damage/Tanking Hybrid to get through solo PVE and not feel like I'm just a pincushion.

At-Wills: Cleave and Threatening Rush
    Daily: Terrifying Impact and Fighter's Recovery
    Encounter: Lunging Strike, Frontline Surge, Enforced Threat

It feels like he has a bit more mobility and I'm thoroughly enjoying my time with him.

A couple of things to note though:

1) Dunno if I need to use my shield more or because he's still building as a hybrid, but getting into high-level packs (especially for this past weekends CTA: Ebon Downs event) leads to death quickly if I'm not smart about using my F Surge knockdown and T Impact daily strategically.

2) Damage is decent, but expect to battle bosses and their adds, moreso than assassinating them with a Trickster or Scourge in a few seconds of massive burst damage.

3) The Ebon Downs CTA this past weekend just highlighted it, but teamwork is key if you're in a group. If you've got a competent team working together with you, your Guardian will shine and you gotta keep your end of the bargain by keeping everything off of them. With the IV Threatening Rush mobillity, you tag + mark, tag + mark, Enforced Threat and make sure your party stays clean. In return, your DCs buff while others smash everything while you cherry pick dying targets in between. It feels pretty **** heroic. And the team will SAIL through encounters (aside from Dragons).

4) On the flip side, you got a group of idiots who think they're hot and aggro all the bosses onto the entrance of the CTA when everyone is a DPS class, and you'll die no matter what. Then they die very soon after. Having a healer DC buff you and heal you while you sit in the middle of a mob swinging like a madman is heaven. Having dumbasses rain death on the grouped supermob + bosses where the majority can't be one-shotted is just insane...
  • atlas77777atlas77777 Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I have an 18.4k GF IV conq spec. Timeless hero's gear, rings of pain, 22.5% armor pen, strength belt etc. Threatening rush, cleave, enforced threat, lunging strike, into the fray, villain's menace, fighter's recovery. I can do eLoL with ease, but obviously I out gear the dungeon by a significant margin. Excluding the benefits from being able to solo play easily, conq spec has its advantages for the tank and for the team. Threat generation is rarely a problem. I haven't had to use enhanced mark since I switched. Into the fray still speeds up runs significantly.

I leveled as tactician. I ran T1/T2s as tactician. I switched to conq to make dungeons/skirmishes go faster. It's understandable that tactician buffs the group more than a conq can buff himself to an extent. However, if that buff is purely defensive (knight's valor) it can be used as a crutch for players. Maybe they need a crutch, but in my team's case and every dungeon I've run we don't need it. I use Greater plaguefire, always have targets marked and tanked, use the lantern often, and do respectable damage. What I do works for me and my team. That being said, I don't recommend it for every player. While holding aggro becomes a non issue, survivability does. Damage mitigation is now about proper use of guard to block attacks as opposed to typical turtle build where you can keep your shield up for an extended duration. I think it's a more fun, more challenging, and more rewarding version of the "tank".

If you are interested in the play style, I have been streaming at night for a few hours while we farm eLoL.

twitch.tv/G3TxxS0M3
    -Rex, the Mad King of [Legendary Outlaws]

"I saw you out there. I don't know what came over me, but I couldn't let you die. I found something inside of myself, something incredibly heroic. I mean, not to brag, but objectively..." -Peter Quill

Rex IV Tact GF | tRex SS Rene CW | GT: G3TxxS0M3
  • zizoomzizoom Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    atlas77777 wrote: »
    I have an 18.4k GF IV conq spec. Timeless hero's gear, rings of pain, 22.5% armor pen, strength belt etc. Threatening rush, cleave, enforced threat, lunging strike, into the fray, villain's menace, fighter's recovery. I can do eLoL with ease, but obviously I out gear the dungeon by a significant margin. Excluding the benefits from being able to solo play easily, conq spec has its advantages for the tank and for the team. Threat generation is rarely a problem. I haven't had to use enhanced mark since I switched. Into the fray still speeds up runs significantly.

I leveled as tactician. I ran T1/T2s as tactician. I switched to conq to make dungeons/skirmishes go faster. It's understandable that tactician buffs the group more than a conq can buff himself to an extent. However, if that buff is purely defensive (knight's valor) it can be used as a crutch for players. Maybe they need a crutch, but in my team's case and every dungeon I've run we don't need it. I use Greater plaguefire, always have targets marked and tanked, use the lantern often, and do respectable damage. What I do works for me and my team. That being said, I don't recommend it for every player. While holding aggro becomes a non issue, survivability does. Damage mitigation is now about proper use of guard to block attacks as opposed to typical turtle build where you can keep your shield up for an extended duration. I think it's a more fun, more challenging, and more rewarding version of the "tank".

If you are interested in the play style, I have been streaming at night for a few hours while we farm eLoL.

twitch.tv/G3TxxS0M3

I do agree as I switched to the other side from Conqueror to Tactician, but to my opinion, the later one one is more reliable as long as you team with different people. If you always play wih the same guys, do whatever you like. But If you often PUG, just go Tactician as you'll be more tanky and be able to spam daily's very often. Not the most funny way to play but when you get used to make huge DPS just by reflecting damage it can be very effective some times.
  • atlas77777atlas77777 Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    zizoom wrote: »
    I do agree as I switched to the other side from Conqueror to Tactician, but to my opinion, the later one one is more reliable as long as you team with different people. If you always play wih the same guys, do whatever you like. But If you often PUG, just go Tactician as you'll be more tanky and be able to spam daily's very often. Not the most funny way to play but when you get used to make huge DPS just by reflecting damage it can be very effective some times.

I don't see how tact is more tanky. In fact, I'd argue conq is more tanky than tact. Temp hit points, more dmg (i.e., more health from lifesteal.

I'm less tanky than some because I opted for a STR belt rather than CON. And I have purely offensive gear. I've switched back to using KV in eLoL/eSoT because we get lazy farming that place. It's monotonous. Either way, you can still go turtle when you have to with any spec.

-Rex, the Mad King of [Legendary Outlaws]

"I saw you out there. I don't know what came over me, but I couldn't let you die. I found something inside of myself, something incredibly heroic. I mean, not to brag, but objectively..." -Peter Quill

Rex IV Tact GF | tRex SS Rene CW | GT: G3TxxS0M3
  • rockstargfurockstargfu Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    atlas77777 wrote: »
    zizoom wrote: »

I don't see how tact is more tanky. In fact, I'd argue conq is more tanky than tact. Temp hit points, more dmg (i.e., more health from lifesteal.

I'm less tanky than some because I opted for a STR belt rather than CON. And I have purely offensive gear. I've switched back to using KV in eLoL/eSoT because we get lazy farming that place. It's monotonous. Either way, you can still go turtle when you have to with any spec.

Person in your quote just copys and paste from guides
  • djionicsxb1djionicsxb1 Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Everyone has copied and taken advice from others, but my best advice is to play with your GF, try different paragons, different armour and even enchants and then look up info on artifacts and such when you have found something that suits your style of play and your actual main playing time.

IE its no good copying someones build if:

1) They are talking from the POV when they have a 19k+ GS to do A,B,C because you will be lacking a lot in one or two areas if your are 15k or lower. So its about adapting as you get stronger. IE swapping enchants or armour etc etc

2) Are you playing solo or mainly grouped. Does the group usually have a cleric ? Are you doing PvE or PVP ? All these again come into consideration

3) What do you see yourself as and what do you want to do in the game ? Again a buff bot a brick wall a hybrid etc etc

I did a lot of research read up lots and then just built a GF as that was what I wanted to be in this game. I didnt even care about paragons at first and mixed and matched. Then when I couldnt solo ghost stories without help due to such low dps (was very low GS at the time aswell). I looked more into builds. I then chose conq build and then as I have gone up GS and played I have adapted into a well rounded hybrid that now helps in all situations without to much loss in my main job of being a tank.

1) I do dps (6k+ power)
    2) I only have 1k crit as I wear timeless full set
    3) On average have 4k-4.5k defence (IE if im wearing timeless or my profound conq set)
    4) Have all the powers unlocked and at lvl 3 so I can switch in and out depending on situations. IE PVP, solo or grouped PVE will depends on my mode eg buffbot and threat holder or dps when solo.

My build is one that is unique to me from my POV as I am built for action point gain and recovery, and use blood raven crystal as main artifact as a back up.

YES I use health pots and even other pots to boost me in PVE/PVP but as I solo play a lot I can look after myself.

I have just started to read more into mod6 and I am sure when that has dropped you, me and mostly everyone else will again adapt and even respect to cover the changes.

Anyway if anyone wants my spec/build let me know I will give you my view and style of play. Its more fun when its natural and you enjoy the game and you char for what it is

EDIT: Oh I am a 17.5k GS player *with augmented main companion*
  • rockstargfurockstargfu Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Everyone has copied and taken advice from others, but my best advice is to play with your GF, try different paragons, different armour and even enchants and then look up info on artifacts and such when you have found something that suits your style of play and your actual main playing time.

IE its no good copying someones build if:

1) They are talking from the POV when they have a 19k+ GS to do A,B,C because you will be lacking a lot in one or two areas if your are 15k or lower. So its about adapting as you get stronger. IE swapping enchants or armour etc etc

2) Are you playing solo or mainly grouped. Does the group usually have a cleric ? Are you doing PvE or PVP ? All these again come into consideration

3) What do you see yourself as and what do you want to do in the game ? Again a buff bot a brick wall a hybrid etc etc

I did a lot of research read up lots and then just built a GF as that was what I wanted to be in this game. I didnt even care about paragons at first and mixed and matched. Then when I couldnt solo ghost stories without help due to such low dps (was very low GS at the time aswell). I looked more into builds. I then chose conq build and then as I have gone up GS and played I have adapted into a well rounded hybrid that now helps in all situations without to much loss in my main job of being a tank.

1) I do dps (6k+ power)
    2) I only have 1k crit as I wear timeless full set
    3) On average have 4k-4.5k defence (IE if im wearing timeless or my profound conq set)
    4) Have all the powers unlocked and at lvl 3 so I can switch in and out depending on situations. IE PVP, solo or grouped PVE will depends on my mode eg buffbot and threat holder or dps when solo.

My build is one that is unique to me from my POV as I am built for action point gain and recovery, and use blood raven crystal as main artifact as a back up.

YES I use health pots and even other pots to boost me in PVE/PVP but as I solo play a lot I can look after myself.

I have just started to read more into mod6 and I am sure when that has dropped you, me and mostly everyone else will again adapt and even respect to cover the changes.

Anyway if anyone wants my spec/build let me know I will give you my view and style of play. Its more fun when its natural and you enjoy the game and you char for what it is

EDIT: Oh I am a 17.5k GS player *with augmented main companion*

Couldnt have said it better

Most ppl fail understand you stat allcations and encounters dont matter for squat by themselves .

Matters about things you mentioned above, you have typical guildies? Play solo alot? Etc

Then the others gain meaning

Post edited by rockstargfu on