test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Help me fix/improve my TR.

sinibytesinibyte Member Posts: 61 Arc User
edited May 2015 in The Thieves' Den
I originally posted this in the other forums, but did not realize there was an xbox class forum. So here goes!

http://nwcalc.com/tr?b=pa7:260zsg:14jqa4,1li3i2i:15u0uv:100000:15u000&h=0&p=min

This is my build (xbox player, fresh 60) - I mostly PvE, but like to PvP (for fun). I use Duelist Flurry and Cloud of Steel for my At-wills. Dazing Strike, Lashing Blade and Path of the Blade (or swap for Shadow Strike). I like the constant use of stealth and having my stealth bar repop quickly for a 1-2 punch with One with the Shadows. Stealth and either Dazing Strike for AOE or Lashing Blade for single target. For AOE, I re-stealth and Path of the blade. I use courage breaker on bosses during the fight, and Shocking execution when they get low on health. In PvP, I stealth lashing blade, dazing strike then shocking execution if I can - filling the gaps with duelist flurry and cloud of steel for if they run. I use First Strike and Skillful Infiltrator. I nearly always finish top damage and most enemies slain in dungeons. PvP, I tend to finish middle of the pack with an even 1:1 K/D.

I’ve been stacking power and crit equally. 21 STR, 23 DEX, 19 CHA are my final stats (I think).

I like to play as a burst opener then combat rogue style from there on out.

I don’t know if I'm doing it right, but it feels very fluid and has served me well to 60 – it is enjoyable. BUT - How can I improve? I looked at some other builds and couldn't find anything like how I've been playing - so I assume I'm doing it terribly wrong.

Thanks!
Post edited by sinibyte on

Comments

• fukiiyufukiiyu Member Posts: 159 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2015
    <//Delete>
  • pandynupandynu Member Posts: 45
    edited April 2015
    Hi there,

Based on the build in your link, I have some suggestions for point redistribution:

Pick-up and max the following:

Bait and Switch (I find this useful if I ever have to solo a boss like A'Drx'l the Aboleth Overseer or the group is struggling with adds - situational at best)
    Wicked Reminder (This is very useful for boss fights)
    Blitz (most builds consider this core - used on trash pulls)
    Tactics (see below)
    Infiltrator's Action (see below)

(You currently have no points in any of the above but they are good to have).

To gain the points, I would suggest removing points from the following:
    Sneak Attack
    Tenacious Concealment
    First Strike
    Remove the III point from Bloodbath (unless you want it for PvP)
    Deft Strike (you will never use this in PvE)
    Courage Breaker (you will not use this in PvE or PvP) (see below)

As far as Class Features go (aka Actives), remember that you can only use two at a time so it is not always necessary to max out the ones you will not be using. For a Master Infiltrator Executioner (and even Saboteur) you will primarily use Skillful Infiltrator and choose the second from the following:

Tactics
    Infiltrator's Action
    Invisible Infiltrator

For boss fights, you should use Lurker's Assault. Courage Breaker will not produce as much damage as what you will gain while using Lurker's Assault. Consider the 25% Power increase from using Courage Breaker. If you have 2800 power, gaining 25% of that is gaining an additional 700 power. Remember that there is a 1:10 ratio for the power to damage conversion. 700 power produces 70 damage. That 70 damage is then converted and then added to your base damage at a 1/25 ratio; ultimately, 28 damage is added to your base damage. As a rogue, our total base damage is equal to the sum of our 2 daggers (~994 for our current Mod), plus total power, which is then divided by 25 or [Weapon Damage+Total Power)/25]. You now have a base damage of 1022. After all that comes the actual damage calculation (which includes a whole lot of considerations, including ArmPen and target resistance). Skills have different damage multipliers, but I am fairly certain base damage is consistently applied regardless of that multiplier.

The damage gained from stealth provided by Lurker's Assault is far superior. Hopefully the explanation above is enough to convince you without me having to show all the math :').

If you are still reading, also consider:
    Power is basically useless for a TR. You should not stack it either. Instead, stack ArmPen until you hit the soft cap (I believe this is 24% or something like 2600 ArmPen). And then you can resort to power. You will never have to stack Crit as TRs have enough of this naturally (gear and Cat augmented pet). If you're wondering about Power vs. Crit, this next bit is for you.

Damage gained from power is linear while crit chance has a diminished return. Power is tricky because the actual damage gain is linear but percentage increase diminishes as base power increases. Ultimately, there is an ideal balance between power, crit strike, and crit severity that I will not go into because it depends on if you have a vorpal, what rank that vorpal is, and if you are a renegade/Drow. Why does Vorpal matter? Without it we get +.75% damage per extra 1% crit. You would need at least a normal vorpal to gain 1% extra damage for each 1% extra crit. For crit itself, you gain less than a .5% crit chance per 100 points of crit if you are at 1800 crit or higher.

Please note that the above does not consider base crit, I am aware of this.

I am a supporter of unique builds and play-style, but I also understand the benefits of cookie-cutter builds. Hopefully the information above will help you in deciding how to spec and what skills to use.
  • tallcupofcoffeetallcupofcoffee Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Great post; thank you!
  • swagicalxswagicalx Member Posts: 31
    edited April 2015
    Rubbish all of the above PM me for details.... I usually hit around 25-40 mill in dungeons pretty sure my biggest 1 hit was around 80k thus far also.
    edited April 2015
    Also I can 1 shot about anyone but a GF in pvp
    edited April 2015
    swagicalx wrote: »
    Also I can 1 shot about anyone but a GF in pvp

I am fairly certain any TR can one shot just about anything in PvP; I do it on my 11k gs TR. -.- so that's not really a talking point.

If you want to talk about total damage in dungeons, I am usually at 18 million in the groups I run with guildies; when you have 3 dps in your group, there's no way you will hit 25-40 million total damage unless you're running CN. Total damage between 3 dps is about 15-19 million damage each in a T2 clear, killing each boss on the first attempt. In CN, 3 dps total damage is about 25-32 million each, killing each boss on the first attempt.

If you are hitting 25-40 million damage in a dungeon, you're either solo'ing it or playing with 1 dps and 4 people picking their wedgies.
    edited April 2015
    swagicalx wrote: »
    Rubbish all of the above PM me for details.... I usually hit around 25-40 mill in dungeons pretty sure my biggest 1 hit was around 80k thus far also.

Also, a 80k hit is really weak. My big crits are usually over 200k. Maybe specify what you think is rubbish and why.
  • ab0vegr0undab0vegr0und Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 6
    edited April 2015
    Go on my xbox profile and use my build, don't listen to these new players. I can flawless solo Castle never in 54 minutes including dracolich.
    edited April 2015
    Guess ill start putting up screen shots....sigh*
    How ever I'm never below number 1 on any dungeon I've every ran at 60
    couple mill above any control wizard or any other DPS class for that matter.

Average is 15 mill
    don't worry screen shots will follow
    and 80k was my highest before
    I have no T2 armor either just FYI...but its soon to come don't worry.

Always another DPS or two in my group but doesn't mean they are as responsive as me?
    meaning I'm pretty sure I get first Encounter hit on every mob every time Encounter DoT.
    plus I try to go all out every dungeon I'm in I'm a rogue and I've yet to be vote kicked out
    so I must be doing good things!!

Also best streak in pvp was 40 kills 5 deaths.
  • uloi1234uloi1234 Member Posts: 44
    edited April 2015
    fukiiyu wrote: »
    <//Delete>

Troll! :)
  • fukiiyufukiiyu Member Posts: 159 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2015
    uloi1234 wrote: »
    Troll! :)

Hahaha what?