test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Contradictory business models..

silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
edited May 2015 in General Discussion (PC)
Business model A. (Allow them to play multiple classes differently, so they can buy lots of items from our store)

So, they want me to roll new alts(buy slots), they want me to buy bags for every alt, heck they might even want me to buy a few companions for those alts..

GREAT, I would love to do so, HOWEVER..

Business Model B comes into play (we feel players leave to not enough content, lets remove content and give them grinding)

This negates EVERYTHING about business model A.

I for one do not see these two things working symbiotic to each other. I have no issue running items together to get bis stuff, I do however, see a massive issue with how you implemented the level of grind in this game.

In mods 1,2 and 3, model A worked for me, its the reason I came to this game, I could compete in pvp, i could run all DDs, choose what I wanted to do for the day. Then for some strange reason you decided business model B had to be introduced, I went from playing 5 toons competitively down to 3, now I honestly cant really keep 1 at a competitive point (I will hit 3k with my dc sometimes this month when my jewlery gets to 25.) thats a far cry, my cw/gwf will be in the mid to late 2s at some point this mod and the rest of my toons (ALTS I love to play, hr, tr, gf, sw and pally) will not see anything like that again ever.

There needs to be less grind, period. Its just too much to incorporate business model A at all, I dont SEE how business model B gets you more money, it does (maybe) retain a few folks who would otherwise grow bored.

Im the exact opposite and I think many are like me. I left another major mmo, in a raiding guild, to get away from that level of grinding (in fact, THAT game had less regular pve grind then this one does now)

I want to play all my toons again, I want this game to be like those earlier mods.

You even somehow made simple level grinding terrible and removed the ALTERNATIVE path to get to 70.

These things are not desirous. I have no trouble doing some grinding, farming ect, I do however, think its ridiculous that you want us to spend hours and hours sitting around killing things for a few stones to convert to RP. Its a boring sort of mmo imo.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Poor management. That about sums it up. Fire your current operations/project managers and start over with those that have excellent business acumen.
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
  • sasagerusasageru Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    myowmyow wrote: »
    Poor management. That about sums it up. Fire your current operations/project managers and start over with those that have excellent business acumen.

See this: https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/9213383-neverwinter%3A-looking-into-elemental-evil

They've pretty much already done that. Lets see what happens next.
    DPS Rogue | Heal/Buff Cleric

• ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Well, one positive change is that you can buy the T1 gear for different classes from the Seal Trader, and it's all BoA. So that will definitely help get your alts geared up faster.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • urlord283urlord283 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,084 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Just what is T1 gear... blue or purple or something else?
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    ironzerg79 wrote: »
    Well, one positive change is that you can buy the T1 gear for different classes from the Seal Trader, and it's all BoA. So that will definitely help get your alts geared up faster.

I noticed this yesterday and it will be really helpful for alts as the most vital item to acquire is the armour with an armour slot (and 15iK HP) that costs 600 seals. Apart from that you can make do with blues from the AH.
  • myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    sasageru wrote: »
    See this: https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/9213383-neverwinter%3A-looking-into-elemental-evil

They've pretty much already done that. Lets see what happens next.

Thanks for the link. Hopefully that will help going forward. But it may require more changes in management, such as true managers, not just lead-level . . . :)
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
  • jonnybggjonnybgg Member Posts: 51
    edited May 2015
    Thanks for the link. Hopefully that will help going forward. But it may require more changes in management, such as true managers, not just lead-level . . . :)

I feel that adding experienced DMs to write storylines, etc., may be a real benefit to this game. As it is, I don't think there is much in the way for a "creative department"...
  • fenchimpfenchimp Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Hopefully that will help going forward.

It won't. This was announced a little before the weekly update where they fixed very little and made bags BoE.

Unless that's moving forward. In which case I give up on gaming.
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    jonnybgg wrote: »
    I feel that adding experienced DMs to write storylines, etc., may be a real benefit to this game. As it is, I don't think there is much in the way for a "creative department"...

Hmm...if only there were thousands of authors generating free content that they could polish and use as new content. That'd be really somethin'. Why such "infinite content" would be a real brilliant marketing idea!

sigh.jpg
  • silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    urlord283 wrote: »
    Just what is T1 gear... blue or purple or something else?

Armor is a little confusing atm.

t1 is alliance blue
    t1.5 is pvp purple
    t2 is pve protector (which if they EVER updated pvp rings to = pve jewel ones, you could use this in pvp)

however.. you CAN refine t1 using r5 black ice to be a better pve set then the pvp purple is (the refinement on pvp purple, isnt worth a hoot or hollar really, with like a total .25% increase for hundreds of thousands of AD spend and hundreds of thousands of black ice to farm.

However, pvp set is fine to use for t2 farming, so you can skip alliance if you want, you might have to adjust stats around and have different enchants in place for both pvp and pve a little annoying, but less annoying then farming t1s per se.
    edited May 2015
    Yes

There are some excellent things in the foundry

They could run contest and pay in Zen... it is just binary stuff

Just sayen

Urlord
  • jonnybggjonnybgg Member Posts: 51
    edited May 2015
    eldarth wrote: »
    Hmm...if only there were thousands of authors generating free content that they could polish and use as new content. That'd be really somethin'. Why such "infinite content" would be a real brilliant marketing idea!

sigh.jpg

I know, right?

Gamerz kitteh has teh sadface.
    edited May 2015
    silverkelt wrote: »
    Armor is a little confusing atm.

t1 is alliance blue
    t1.5 is pvp purple
    t2 is pve protector (which if they EVER updated pvp rings to = pve jewel ones, you could use this in pvp)

however.. you CAN refine t1 using r5 black ice to be a better pve set then the pvp purple is (the refinement on pvp purple, isnt worth a hoot or hollar really, with like a total .25% increase for hundreds of thousands of AD spend and hundreds of thousands of black ice to farm.

However, pvp set is fine to use for t2 farming, so you can skip alliance if you want, you might have to adjust stats around and have different enchants in place for both pvp and pve a little annoying, but less annoying then farming t1s per se.

Thanks That helps a lot

I have PVP purple

Not sure I can live in a T2 DD long enough to get T2 stuff then

Maybe if I queue up with a great team to carry me

What are the chances?

Urlord
  • setimoselosetimoselo Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    silverkelt wrote: »
    Business model A. (Allow them to play multiple classes differently, so they can buy lots of items from our store)

So, they want me to roll new alts(buy slots), they want me to buy bags for every alt, heck they might even want me to buy a few companions for those alts..

GREAT, I would love to do so, HOWEVER..

Business Model B comes into play (we feel players leave to not enough content, lets remove content and give them grinding)

<snipped alot>

It's not just the grinding content though. It's the refining that is incredibly expensive. Back in the day if we wanted alts it was a matter of how many times we wanted to run dungeons for gear. It was great for new players because there was a constant stream of players que'ing for dungeons. It was great for people with alts cause we could get multiple pov's of the game and keep the game alive for us. Now having one character is expensive and time consuming to maintain. I won't even get to the fact that the average player feels like having one character is more of a job then having fun and this is a game. The game model needs to return to being alt friendly so I can personally enjoy playing on my other characters. I would also like to not have two jobs, no one would ever accept playing Neverwinter on a resume anyway.
    23uvq8m.png
  • walk2kwalk2k Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    it's true. I had 4 characters (since beta) that I played regularly and completed all campaigns thru Dread Ring. once IWD hit the grind was so bad (for glove and weapon) I had to cut that down to 2. after Tyranny of Dailys hit I finally gave up the 2nd one and now just play 1 main char.

the only thing I've ever spent money on in this game was a $20 epic mount, for account wide. now if I had to do that again I would just save up AD to buy a single-char one from the AH since all my other chars don't do anything but sit at the altar praying and restarting leaderships.. don't need no epic horse for that :P Pets, same thing, already got most all the best ones for my 1 main char... don't need more.
  • blacksladdiblacksladdi Member Posts: 359 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    you can just pvp your way to 70, do so via invoking your alts (mine are all almost 70 just by invoking) and then play your main toon (probably a tank or healer is best to use for this) to grind alt gear from seals since now you CAN get seals from bosses instead of 10 from end chest if you ever kill the end boss.

but really i agree the amount of grind makes playing more then 1 toon near impossible - since you need alot of refinement points to get your artifacts at a epic / legendary level to run pug groups.
  • suicidalgodotsuicidalgodot Member Posts: 2,465 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I have all but resigned regarding my alt-o-holism. I have all but resigned concerning the current armor, too. Meh stuff, carrier materiel for external HP and little else, no collecting, set bonus, heck, not even looks that tickle my urge to get that stuff...

...so I pull my alts one by one through SpinRise to get the new ArtiGear, and slice my Pala through the campsigns. All rather unmotivated, with little enthusiasm and even less joyful findings - heck, even sapphires are something like a once-monthly-only drop nowadays. Absolutely uninspiring gameplay, currently. Dungeons? What for? Run them a few hundred times to finally buy mediocre armour and the Lostmauth set with another crit severity buff? PvP? Welcome to exploit-o-rama? Grind RP? Only to have them cut down to 40% by Mod 8's ArtiGear? Nah...

I thought Tiamat was drab, tedious, highly repetitve assembly line work - enter, do stuff, click! one more token on the counter, rinse, repeat... ...I thought it can only get better. I was wrong.

This is the second mod in sequence where the new higher-end stuff was quite a failure for my taste. Mod 8 will hopefully reintroduce some armour set variety. If not... ...who knows. Maybe I'll then even wait that one out, too - and pull even GF, GWF, and SW through their respective campaigns' remainders. But I wouldn't really bet on that.

Heck, right now even Sharandar feels like a cornucopia of innumerable options. Meh...
  • walk2kwalk2k Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I thought about sending my alts the excess t1 gear (must of got like 8 full sets by now..) but decided to salvage it instead... zero interest in playing the other chars, mostly due to can't afford the RP for weapon/offhands..
  • translucentwolftranslucentwolf Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Started last year. Bought all the packs. Bought 200 bucks of zen when the 'charge rewards' stuff came around. Dumb whale, right? Well... mod 6 cured me. Kiss all the casuals goodbye. It's a *darned shame* that casuals generate a fair amount of your zen sales, boys. Darned shame.