Install Arc

Neverwinter Math

cactusjacktercactusjackter Member Posts: 287 Arc User
For example:

Leadership > Feed the Needy = 10m

Hero = +50% speed

Feed the Needy + Hero = 6m 39s

50% of 10 is not 6.4.

Makes me question if all the other percentages used in the game are also wrong.
Post edited by cactusjackter on

Comments

• crazyvipacrazyvipa Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    For example:

Leadership > Feed the Needy = 10m

Hero = +50% speed

Feed the Needy + Hero = 6m 39s

50% of 10 is not 6.4.

Makes me question if all the other percentages used in the game are also wrong.

That is awesome.
  • zephyriahzephyriah Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,980 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    xsayajinx is correct. The problem, for some, is an understanding of ratios. I will try to explain why he is correct.

An example that is easy to understand. You take a trip to visit someone 60 miles away and travel 60 miles per hour. It will take 1 hour. 60/60 = 1

Now, same trip 50% faster. 60 * 1.5 (150%) = 90 You will travel at 90 mile per hour. Does this cut the trip in half to 1/2 hour? No. 60/90= .666 or a 1/3 reduction.

Same trip 100 % faster (2 purples) 60 * 2 (200%) = 120 So,now traveling 120 miles per hour. 60/120= 1/2 So, it cuts the time in half. Therefore, it is a 100% speed boost that cuts the time in half.

Aside from the speeding tickets, HTH.
  • telprydaintelprydain Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The key is in the wording: It's +50% of the default speed, not -50% of the total time.
    Casual Gamers
    Join us brothers and sisters and distant relations and confused onlookers.
    Join us in the shadows where we stand mostly vigilant... although slightly distracted by our inventories.
    "In war, unqualified. In peace, disorganised. In death, mild irritation."

JOIN US.
  • cactusjacktercactusjackter Member Posts: 287 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Yes, but if the default speed is fast enough to take 10 minutes, double speed would take 5 minutes.
  • thezer0fluxthezer0flux Member Posts: 412 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Yes, but if the default speed is fast enough to take 10 minutes, double speed would take 5 minutes.

Yes, double speed would take half the time, but +50% speed (or 150% of base speed) isn't double speed. You would need a 100% speed increase (or 200% of base speed) to run at double speed and finish in half the time.
  • cactusjacktercactusjackter Member Posts: 287 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Good point. My Maths brain has been so little used since school 20 years ago that it simply can't work it out :D
  • thezer0fluxthezer0flux Member Posts: 412 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    It's an easy mistake to make. Our brains look for the simplest solution, and when we see "50%" we immediately think "that's half!"