test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Which profession for a new player and why?

bardmedicine11bardmedicine11 Member Posts: 201 Arc User
edited May 2015 in PvE Discussion
I'm surprised I couldn't find threads like this, so I made my own.

Pure PvE casual player, what are your recommendations for profession?
Post edited by bardmedicine11 on

Comments

• rversantrversant Member Posts: 896 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Leadership is always the #1 priority to max imo. especially for casual players so you can generate a passive income
    other useful ones are jewelcrafting and the ones for your classes armor/weapons
    People are way too negative, Why cant we just all get along.

Drunken Goose of MidNight Express. - 3.3k Paladin , 3.6k GWF , 3.1k GF,
  • darkstarcrashdarkstarcrash Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,382 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I really don't see the point of Weaponsmithing/Artificing at this point. Finish Spinward Rise and reach 70 and you have very nice MH and OH, even before you drop any RP into them.

And unless you are going to invest in 4 mithral tools, there's little reason to level armorsmithing for your class. The main use for it is the shirts and pants - and you won't get a gem slot without the mithral tools.

Leadership, Jewelcrafting and Alchemy are the professions I max on everyone nowadays.
  • pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Yeah - Leadership, Jewelcrafting and Alchemy are, I think in this mod, the correct answers.
  • rversantrversant Member Posts: 896 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I really don't see the point of Weaponsmithing/Artificing at this point. Finish Spinward Rise and reach 70 and you have very nice MH and OH, even before you drop any RP into them.

And unless you are going to invest in 4 mithral tools, there's little reason to level armorsmithing for your class. The main use for it is the shirts and pants - and you won't get a gem slot without the mithral tools.

Leadership, Jewelcrafting and Alchemy are the professions I max on everyone nowadays.

yeah I guess. my suggestion of class armor / weapons was as he said he was a casual pve player, so he probably wont rush up to 70 and smash out hard farming sessions.

Alchemy is good to level because on unified but I used to find myself just selling all the buff pots that dropped on AH because you can get some decent AD from them.
    People are way too negative, Why cant we just all get along.

Drunken Goose of MidNight Express. - 3.3k Paladin , 3.6k GWF , 3.1k GF,
    edited April 2015
    rversant wrote: »
    yeah I guess. my suggestion of class armor / weapons was as he said he was a casual pve player, so he probably wont rush up to 70 and smash out hard farming sessions.

I was a very casual player when I started this game, and I still out-leveled armorsmithing and weaponsmithing professions on my way to 60. I think the only stuff I ever used were the green shirts and pants, but otherwise gear drops from questing were always better for my characters than whatever I could craft for them. And as you get higher up, items with gem slots drop -- and the only way to have gem slots on crafted gear is to invest in those expensive tools.

I mean, I have invested in the tools, and I make a decent living from crafting shirts, pants, and jewelry. But it took a long time to accumulate the necessary equipment, and I wouldn't recommend it for anyone just trying out the game.
  • zevathonzevathon Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    An alternative strat:

Do Leadership, then Jewelcrafting, both to 20. Then do Weaponsmithing or Artificing to I think 14, then switch to Alchemy to 20. When you're doing your overnight leveling quest in Alchemy, go back to Weaponsmithing or Artificing.

Alchemy gathering tasks give no Prof XP. You may as well get the mats you need from Weaponsmithing or Artificing. Then its a fast road to 20 on Alchemy as you have tons of mats.

And by then you probably have a bunch of <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> potions stored up too!
  • tyria501tyria501 Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Leadership and Jewelcrafting for free payers. You well need the AD from leadership for just about everything, though even at rank 20 it does not seem like much. Jewelcrafting for special rings/belt/necklaces until you manage to scrape up enough AD for the neck/belt/artifact sets.

If you are playing free then ignore alchemy since you have no way of acquiring basic alchemical knowledge without spending money that I have been able to find. Just buy pots with gold, it is easy enough to make with a few drop hunting passes on any given map.

Good luck.
  • suicidalgodotsuicidalgodot Member Posts: 2,465 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    zevathon wrote: »
    An alternative strat:

Do Leadership, then Jewelcrafting, both to 20. Then do Weaponsmithing or Artificing to I think 14, then switch to Alchemy to 20. When you're doing your overnight leveling quest in Alchemy, go back to Weaponsmithing or Artificing.
    [...]

Artificing / Weaponsmithing are plain useless...

...in Mod 6 there's nothing useful you can make with them. Nothing. Medicre weapons and offhands anybody? What? You all got artifat weapons and artifact off-hands? Doh...

The Armor Professions (Platesmithing, Mailsmithing, Leatherworking, Tailoring) at least offer some Armor Enhancement kits, which can be useful and / or auctionable.

Leadership is the slowest Profession to level, so it can be smart to start with Jewelcrafting until Level 10 - and use the second row slots to level Leadership. Also it makes a lot of sense to pull all professions to level 25, 20 is just the slot unlock, but the goodies all come from the level 25 tasks...

...Alchemy: Well, there''s that thing about Unified Elements. But all those potions are rather meh, the Dyes (Level 7 or 8 unlock) are the only thing from that that really can be sold for some AD...
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'm surprised I couldn't find threads like this, so I made my own.

Pure PvE casual player, what are your recommendations for profession?

If you have access to purple assets, alchemy can be leveled up to 3 quickly, and there's a rare task that you can use to unlock another profession slot.

If you don't have access to purple tools, then simply stick to leadership - it'll give you character XP, gold, skill kits, potions, and most importantly, astral diamonds.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • zoiks100zoiks100 Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'm pretty sure Alchemy is currently the highest consistent AD income in the game, it requires rank 25 to get there though, also like all professions, to be really effective you'll need higher quality assets. And while normally Alchemy is by far the fastest to level, if you choose to generate all the potions necessary to level it, it's about the same speed as the others, only with the added, annoying RNG factor. So you can either take a long time, or you can buy the mats you'll need to level it.

The key to Alchemy's AD income is Unified Elements, which sell for around 75k AD each still. While the cost for the mats is only 4 Elemental Aggregates for 20k, 5k AD each, and 2 gold worth of vendor mats, that's 50k profit. The task takes at base 12 days with 1 white quality worker, meaning 4k/slot/day, with 4 epic quality workers it takes 4 days meaning 12.5k/day/slot, and this is a common task that can be run on all 9 slots.

For those who don't mind tedium, there's also Arcane Shard->Eldritch Crystal farming, which typically earns 5k+/day/slot.
    Don't Panic.
    airplane-2-o.gif
    Okay, Panic.
  • zevathonzevathon Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    bioshrike wrote: »
    If you have access to purple assets, alchemy can be leveled up to 3 quickly, and there's a rare task that you can use to unlock another profession slot.

If you don't have access to purple tools, then simply stick to leadership - it'll give you character XP, gold, skill kits, potions, and most importantly, astral diamonds.

Yeah, unlock the 100% speed with 2 purple assets i.e. 2 Grandmaster Alchs. They used to be cheaper, but you could always buy 2, use them on all your toons, then sell them back...

With 3 Quality assests in alch at level 3, you can then get the other unlock off a blue batch task.

For the 3rd prof, folks have said "armor kits". Well, if you have a bunch of toons, I pick up those profs on them, 1 type each, but if you run out of *different* profs, then go do Artificing or Weaponsmithing for the Alchy mats on others.
    edited May 2015
    One of your professions should be Jewelcrafting, because personalized jewelry (such as Personalized Adamant Ring of Piercing) have high stats and *2* gem slots. They are best in slot, and can be used on your companions as well.

You don't need fancy tools to make the personalized jewelry, but you will have to buy the precursor item (Gemmed Exquisite Adamant Ring of Piercing...) off the AH.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    zevathon wrote: »
    Yeah, unlock the 100% speed with 2 purple assets i.e. 2 Grandmaster Alchs. They used to be cheaper, but you could always buy 2, use them on all your toons, then sell them back...

With 3 Quality assests in alch at level 3, you can then get the other unlock off a blue batch task.

For the 3rd prof, folks have said "armor kits". Well, if you have a bunch of toons, I pick up those profs on them, 1 type each, but if you run out of *different* profs, then go do Artificing or Weaponsmithing for the Alchy mats on others.

4 blue workers will accomplish the same thing, and may very well be a cheaper investment.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums