test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Totally Bummed Out

radix4257radix4257 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 190 Arc User
edited April 2015 in General Discussion (PC)
Due to the total nerf of the Scourge Warlock especially the elimination of Life Steal as a useful game mechanic I can no longer solo my SW anywhere. I have respeced her and swapped enchantments to try and increase her chances of living to no avail. I just can't do enough damage and drink enough healing potions to survive more than 2 opponents at a time. So unless any of my playing partners are online I can't finish up Spin to get the Elemental weapon and doing dragon runs all day to farm stones is boring. So in the end, thank you Cryptic for ruining my favorite toon and making Neverwinter no longer fun to play.
Post edited by radix4257 on

Comments

• syrickwolfsyrickwolf Member Posts: 102
    edited April 2015
    radix4257 wrote: »
    Due to the total nerf of the Scourge Warlock especially the elimination of Life Steal as a useful game mechanic I can no longer solo my SW anywhere. I have respeced her and swapped enchantments to try and increase her chances of living to no avail. I just can't do enough damage and drink enough healing potions to survive more than 2 opponents at a time. So unless any of my playing partners are online I can't finish up Spin to get the Elemental weapon and doing dragon runs all day to farm stones is boring. So in the end, thank you Cryptic for ruining my favorite toon and making Neverwinter no longer fun to play.

yup yup and yup. just be careful or theyll ban you for saying the word cryptic in a negative sentence.
  • pycon929pycon929 Member Posts: 50
    edited April 2015
    Due to the total nerf...

That's a little extreme don't you think? Sure, the class is highly rejected for reasons unknown, but it still functions well with the right gear/feats/boons.

Life steal wasn't "nerfed" it was fixed. It was extremely OP before and now players like you just cry about not having that one crutch to carry you through all the content. Sorry, it's true.

If you're gonna drop the Scourge just because the game got a little challenging for you then please do. If you're not even going to try and find a solution to the new difficulty of mod 6 with one of if not the most challenging classes in the game then drop it and make a rogue or wiz like everybody else.

So sick of hearing about how "weak" scourge has become.
    edited April 2015
    pycon929 wrote: »
    That's a little extreme don't you think? Sure, the class is highly rejected for reasons unknown, but it still functions well with the right gear/feats/boons.

Life steal wasn't "nerfed" it was fixed. It was extremely OP before and now players like you just cry about not having that one crutch to carry you through all the content. Sorry, it's true.

If you're gonna drop the Scourge just because the game got a little challenging for you then please do. If you're not even going to try and find a solution to the new difficulty of mod 6 with one of if not the most challenging classes in the game then drop it and make a rogue or wiz like everybody else.

So sick of hearing about how "weak" scourge has become.
    actually thats a little unfair. lifesteal was one thing the class depended upon. and when its nerfed its a direct nerf to the class. you cant say there sad for using it its like saying its sad for a cw to use inelegance or a tr or hr for using dex.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    syrickwolf wrote: »
    yup yup and yup. just be careful or theyll ban you for saying the word cryptic in a negative sentence.

Provide useful, constructive feedback, and there will never be an issue.

For instance: Instead of having life steal have such a low chance to return 100% of the damage dealt, why not increase the % chance a bit, but lower the amount of health returned, so it is a lot more reliable for classes that rely on it.

Instead of simply piling HP onto all the newer gear and having enemies hit for ridiculous amounts, how about making defense, deflection, and other stats more useful, while adding debuffs and other effects to enemy attacks instead.

Similarly, instead of enemies either just running up and wailing on you, how about adding new scripts where they try to take better positions or make use of flanking positions...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
    edited April 2015
    bioshrike wrote: »

For instance: Instead of having life steal have such a low chance to return 100% of the damage dealt, why not increase the % chance a bit, but lower the amount of health returned, so it is a lot more reliable for classes that rely on it.

Instead of simply piling HP onto all the newer gear and having enemies hit for ridiculous amounts, how about making defense, deflection, and other stats more useful, while adding debuffs and other effects to enemy attacks instead.

Similarly, instead of enemies either just running up and wailing on you, how about adding new scripts where they try to take better positions or make use of flanking positions...
    yeah no even if your feedback is useful but not what they want theyll ban you for it.
  • suicidalgodotsuicidalgodot Member Posts: 2,465 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    A simple fix - too complicated for Cryp to see, maybe, but in principle super-easy - would've been to make one of the two new feats in the Temptation tree "Increase Lifesteal chance by 3/6/9/12/15%". Make it the tier four feat, so only dedicated TempLocks can pick it...

...doh.
  • kurtb88kurtb88 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 597 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I sympathize with your plight. But perhaps it might encourage you to know I solo'd through everything on my SW just fine. My SW is Fury and has about 17K GS before Mod6. Maybe if you retrait and change your play-style you can begin soloing? I don't know exactly what to say. My SW had rank7 enchants, a perfect vorpal enchant, and all my gear and artifacts were purple level, but my artifact weapon and offhand were blue. So, if you can get your walock to that state you should be fine. The encounter powers i use almost exclusively are Dread Theft, Empowered Killing Flames, and Warlocks bargain. I begin a fight with Walocks Bargain on the strong mob, then hit dread theft targeting that mob to make use of the Bargain curse, then i move around to make dread theft hit as many mobs as i can, usually backpedaling away from the mobs. Surprisingly enough i do get lifesteal in chunks that seem to keep me up and going. Maybe you can respec your boons to take as much life-steal, that will help it trigger. In WoD campaign boons i put one point into each of the three: dragon's thirst, revival, and fury. Which seems a perfect spread.

Here is a screenshot of my character so u can see the stats that seem to work well for me:

enishi.jpg
    click the image to get the fullsize.
    edited April 2015
    kurtb88 wrote: »
    I sympathize with your plight. But perhaps it might encourage you to know I solo'd through everything on my SW just fine. My SW is Fury and has about 17K GS before Mod6. Maybe if you retrait and change your play-style you can begin soloing? I don't know exactly what to say. My SW had rank7 enchants, a perfect vorpal enchant, and all my gear and artifacts were purple level, but my artifact weapon and offhand were blue. So, if you can get your walock to that state you should be fine. The encounter powers i use almost exclusively are Dread Theft, Empowered Killing Flames, and Warlocks bargain. I begin a fight with Walocks Bargain on the strong mob, then hit dread theft targeting that mob to make use of the Bargain curse, then i move around to make dread theft hit as many mobs as i can, usually backpedaling away from the mobs. Surprisingly enough i do get lifesteal in chunks that seem to keep me up and going. Maybe you can respec your boons to take as much life-steal, that will help it trigger. In WoD campaign boons i put one point into each of the three: dragon's thirst, revival, and fury. Which seems a perfect spread.

Here is a screenshot of my character so u can see the stats that seem to work well for me:

enishi.jpg

The Accursed Diabolist gear i am wearing is really good. I think maybe it helps a lot because the mobs die fast. Also, much of the stuff is actually better than what i had as i was going through the new levels. I never had those shirt, pants, rings, cloak, and elemental weapons until i hit 70 and completed spinward rise. I was using all my old stuff which was inferior.

Good luck.
    edited April 2015
    You guys are missing the point...Life steal was "nerfed" because it was OP. Before mod 6 everyone cried about it being to easy. Now everyone is crying about it being to hard. If you really think making LS proc on a % chance ruined an entire class then you must be brain dead. Stop focusing on 1 issue and look at the big picture. EVERY class has had to deal with the LS change. The thing that pissed me off was the actual true nerf of Soul bonding and Creeping death. 2 amazing skills that never in a million years needed to be messed with. Stand back and ask yourself, "why are they nerfing actual feats and skills of a class that doesn't need the nerf?" Screw LS. Ask why scourge is being screwed with in the first place, or why CW are tanking like tanks and GF dominating PvP like rogues?
    edited April 2015
    i forgot to mention that my SW never owned any armour enchant either. Yet, i still solo'd ok. So have hope.
    edited April 2015
    So pycon929, in your infinite wisdom, instead of trolling, how about offering a workable solution?

Well, since you asked. If I could see your gear/stats ect.. it would be easier to determine your problem. I can almost 100% guarantee you it's not because of LS "nerf"
  • freefrothfreefroth Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    kurtb88 wrote: »

enishi.jpg

+10 to this guy for giving a constructive, non judgemental reply. Well played, Sir.
  • overdriver13overdriver13 Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    bioshrike wrote: »

You are breaking the rules by discussing moderation. That is a violation of Rule 37658867.232456540008 Part 45676809 Subsection 9123454673625390505673456, Clause 439907654789.

Yet your post will not be scrubbed because it paints moderation in a good light. Which means the rules are some arbitrary bul**** because only negative discussion of moderation is ever acted upon.

And "constructive" has absolutely no meaning here. The preview forum has thousands of pages of "constructive" feedback about mod 6 before it went live, and that feedback was not heeded at all. Yet that feedback was correct and we are now witnessing the promised disaster of this mod. So tell me what "constructive" is supposed to mean when the feedback is completely ignored altogether. Also, when a thing is so bad that there is no way to say something constructive about it, than what you have left is lies. So essentially forum policy is that we lie to avoid making "non-constructive" posts.

It is a farce and you know it.
  • hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,462 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    People are *so* missing the point.

If lifesteal was OP, it was because it was being abused by other-than-SW's. The simple fix would be to have lifesteal simply work differently (or more reliably, whatever) for SW's since the class was literally built around it.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    You guys are missing the point...Life steal was "nerfed" because it was OP.
    Life Steal was OP for all classes other than SW, which was literally built around the old LS mechanic as it's only means of defence/survival. No dodge, no DR, precious little Deflect, very little CC, no healing other than LS (well - SB has a little healing from Sparks).

I have no problem with LS being adjusted BUT that should have triggered a complete redesign of the SW. It didn't. Along with other nerfs SW is sub-par except if you want to run a full Glass Cannon build - which is pretty useless for solo play.
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • magnusolammagnusolam Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 82
    edited April 2015
    Life Steal was OP for all classes other than SW, which was literally built around the old LS mechanic as it's only means of defence/survival. No dodge, no DR, precious little Deflect, very little CC, no healing other than LS (well - SB has a little healing from Sparks).

I have no problem with LS being adjusted BUT that should have triggered a complete redesign of the SW. It didn't. Along with other nerfs SW is sub-par except if you want to run a full Glass Cannon build - which is pretty useless for solo play.

It should also be noted that LS worked well and was reliable previously, now it is not reliable. As for OP, well, if you felt it made your character OP you could have simply not geared up to use it end of problem. Why would you worry about others using it? They should be free to choose same as you. If the make up of groups were not to your liking you could leave.

If the problem was PvP then well, there's always going to be problems with PvP as long as characters are allowed to enter fully geared up. Remove boons and auto switch to basic gear for PvP (or when entering PvP areas - No targeting from outside the area, obviously) and most of these problems disappear.
  • lowenduslowendus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 322 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I've not seen a single random Solo Queue SW in any dungeon as of yet.

I'm not exaggerating.

It's like people gave up on their SW toons
  • twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    lowendus wrote: »

I'm not exaggerating.

There are still a few around in the levelling zones (both 1-60 and 60-70).

I haven't given up on mine but I have 'parked' her until such time as the devs see fit to address some of the shortcomings and bugs.
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • jobsalotofworkjobsalotofwork Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited April 2015

I was running HB fury for the start of mod 6. I leveled initially in mt hotenow as I still had those quests and then on the shore and in the earth area finally using spinward rise to hit 70. It was a total pain. I had 12k GS in the old system and a white healer. If I didn't use that crappy companion I was going to die and even with him I died and drank a ton of potions. At 70 it was still a pain after buying 2 burning pieces from the PvP vendor and wearing the best gear I had found or was awarded from the new quest chains. Finely I used my free respect to switch to damnation SB and PVE is so much better. Not as easy as mod 5 but not nearly the chore it was previously. I don't require that healer any more and I'm having fun. Note I still have no enchants nor the artifact weapon. The other "big" change was getting tier 4 in my primary powers when I rebuilt the character. Also I only had rank 2 boons from sharandar and dread ring until today so i think damnation SB is a good choice if you're lower gear score or a more casual player.
  • twoedge1twoedge1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    SW jack of all trades master of none. LS changes has affected the temptation builds the most, I predict an update to SW 8 months down the road where it's feats are ''re-examined" in this role. However I am more concerned about the on going nerf's to it's DPS ability than life steal. I've ran eLoL several times now and most the time I finish 3rd in the pain giver chart, spec as a hell bringer fury using encounters that keep creeping death going, followed up by TT daily when possible. I've seen well geared GWF's and HR's do twice as much damage. This class was billed as a DPS monster when it was first released, that is no longer case. Similar item spec CW, GWF, HR and TR can do just as well or out shine it in this DPS role, and with the LS changes it's not very good at a support role either if spec'd for temptation.
  • ogariousogarious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    You guys are missing the point...Life steal was "nerfed" because it was OP. Before mod 6 everyone cried about it being to easy. Now everyone is crying about it being to hard. If you really think making LS proc on a % chance ruined an entire class then you must be brain dead. Stop focusing on 1 issue and look at the big picture. EVERY class has had to deal with the LS change. The thing that pissed me off was the actual true nerf of Soul bonding and Creeping death. 2 amazing skills that never in a million years needed to be messed with. Stand back and ask yourself, "why are they nerfing actual feats and skills of a class that doesn't need the nerf?" Screw LS. Ask why scourge is being screwed with in the first place, or why CW are tanking like tanks and GF dominating PvP like rogues?

No, I think it was YOU who is missing the point. If Lifesteal was OP, it was OP for classes that do not rely on it as part of the game mechanic of the class, like say, that Rogue, or the Control Wizard, or the Great Weapon Fighter, or the Guardian Fighter, or the Divine Cleric, or the Oathbound Paladin, or the ummm Hunter Ranger.

Lifesteal was part of our game mechanic. Same way as Deflection is a part of the game mechanic for HR's, or Defense for the Guardian Fighter, etc. AND THEY TOOK IT AWAY! They changed it so it was a fricken useless thing. My level 70 SW, in Elemental gear, has 6% lifesteal

SIX PERCENT. Are you getting the point now? Or do I need to get the impact driver?
    edited April 2015
    twoedge1 wrote: »
    SW jack of all trades master of none. LS changes has affected the temptation builds the most, I predict an update to SW 8 months down the road where it's feats are ''re-examined" in this role. However I am more concerned about the on going nerf's to it's DPS ability than life steal. I've ran eLoL several times now and most the time I finish 3rd in the pain giver chart, spec as a hell bringer fury using encounters that keep creeping death going, followed up by TT daily when possible. I've seen well geared GWF's and HR's do twice as much damage. This class was billed as a DPS monster when it was first released, that is no longer case. Similar item spec CW, GWF, HR and TR can do just as well or out shine it in this DPS role, and with the LS changes it's not very good at a support role either if spec'd for temptation.

8 months down the road there will be no SW's left. 2 months down the road there will be no SW's left. So they might want to make it a bit of a priority....
    edited April 2015
    There are still a few around in the levelling zones (both 1-60 and 60-70).

I haven't given up on mine but I have 'parked' her until such time as the devs see fit to address some of the shortcomings and bugs.

Yeah, pretty much parked mine and stripped the enchantments for the CW. Then got so frustrated that I had to do that to be even remotely useful in the game that I havent logged in more then 3 times for the whole double XP week.

Swear to you, I get on teamspeak then play Wasteland 2 while the rest of my guild plays Neverwinter.
  • suicidalgodotsuicidalgodot Member Posts: 2,465 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    lowendus wrote: »

I'm not exaggerating.

Mine's a TempLock - that was the thing I wanted her to be - Leech Healer. Not the finicky wasted spark mechanics or Soul Puppet games of the other two branches...

...mothballed, demilitarized reserve fleet hulk is her status currently. When I'm through with all my three other non-fighter alts I might give reactivate her, or one of the two Fighters I hadn't touched during Mod 4/5.

So Cryptic wanted to nerf the DPS-classes' self-sufficiency. OK. They wanted to increase the demand for healers. OK. But why did they kill this one? Wouldve been so easy - one feat greatly upping lifesteal chance on the fourth column of the Temptation Tree, and all would've been perfectly viable...