test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Pvp build

sirfortysirforty Member Posts: 35
edited April 2015 in The Library
Going to share my pvp build as I've been getting lots of messages asking for it. Xbox one only. Not a PC build.

Spellstorm Contol Wizard PvP Build

Feats!

Weapon Mastery and Toughness ::: 3/3 on both. Staple CW feats.
Fight On ::: 5/5. 10% encounter cooldown? Yes please!
Blighting Power and Arcane Enhancement ::: 3/3 on both. Extra damage!
Focused Wizadry ::: 3/3. This skill is OP. Must have.

Paragon!
Renegade Tree

Critical Power ::: 5/5. EotS procs constantly, on top of regular Crits. More ice knife!
Reaper's Touch ::: 5/5. Debatable. I advance on targets, so this works for me. I also stay on node 2.
Nightmare Wizadry ::: 5/5. Tried for a team buff here. Seems to work.
Masterful Arcane Theft ::: 5/5. Can set up a nasty damage bonus with this for RoE.
Chaos Magic ::: 1/1. This. I can't even! Heals, damage, and extra crit and arm pen!

Oppressor Tree
Bitter Cold ::: 5/5. That extra damage buff. Oooooo.

Thaumaturge
Tempest Magic ::: 5/5. Damage buff. Useful against the guardians.

Powers!

At-wils and Encounters
Ray of Frost ::: 3/3. Staple pvp at-will. Watch storm spell do work with it.
Magic Missile ::: 3/3. Hits hard, and adds arcane mastery for them buffs.
Chill Strike ::: 3/3. Personal preference. Nice to stun a runner, plus it hits hard! Also adds chill!
Entangling Force ::: 3/3. Must have. Incredibly useful, and short cooldown!
Ray of Enfeeblement ::: 3/3. I love this skill. Great opener to reduce damage and mitigation.

Spell Mastery slot (right bumper) Icy Rays ::: 3/3. This is my staple and most important skill. Time it right, and with the pvp gear is 10 second cool down minus another 10% from feat, and with chill already on.??it hits as hard as Ice Knife. No joke. This skill is ridiculous. Spell mastery slot also gives a 50% damage increase to it when targeted at single person. That plus the focused Wizadry feat, and the damage buffs...almost double damage! Hits so freaking hard. It's also very nice with those pesky rogues who keep trying to go stealth and get all up in your face.

Passives
Storm Spell ::: 3/3. Crits hit so much harder when this procs. Almost double your crit damage on proc.
Eye of the Storm ::: 3/3. Perma Crits for a 6 seconds every 20 seconds? Amazing. Considering most fights last roughly 5 seconds with this build (often less, just one skill rotation) this passive is amazing.

Dailies
Ice Knife ::: 3/3. If you're not using this in pvp, I don't even know.
Ice Storm ::: 3/3. Personal preference. Incredibly useful if you're going 3v1. Widdle down their health, and then pop this for a double or triple kill!

Stats!
13 STR
16 CON
14 DEX
23 INT
16 WIS
19 CHA

Ratings
This is something I'm kind of messing around with still. I started stacking hit points, crit, and arm pen. Turned me into a force to hold my own against the 2 or 3v1. Saving the glory for the profound warding jewelry and belt, as that'll give a nice recovery, deflect, and hp boost. Using silvery enchants for offense and radiants for defense. I opted out of a lot of life steal, mainly because I gamble a lot on the Chaotic Growth proc from chaos magic. When you start getting 3k health per second for 10 seconds during a tough fight, it'll definitely turn in your favor! Happens more often than not for me at least.

DISCLAIMER
This is my first ever guide I've made. Criticism accepted, overdo it if you like, won't bother me too much :cool:
I'm not saying that this is the end all be all pvp build, but I make it work pretty amazingly. It's great for high priority targets such as clerics, and it's great for a 2v1 as you drop so serious of damage it makes one of the 2 falter and creates opening. All the cool downs are pretty quick as well. I tried experimenting with various builds for pvp, like an AoE build. It wasn't bad, and kept people from being reckless on a node and was great for assist and controlling a node, but the build I made the guide for is my overall best performing and strongest. With the right play style, I think it's capable of holding a node down better than an AoE build. Just my opinion at least.

Get out there and start getting those 25+ kill and 4k+ score games! Good luck :D
Demon "Head Hunter" Spellstorm Control Wizard
Skorn Scoundrel Trickster Rogue
Midget Healz Anointed Champion Cleric

Xbox One
GT : SirForty
Post edited by sirforty on

Comments

• tojoptojop Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Wow, this build looks extremely solid. My CW is only 48, so I can't participate in any EotS shenanigans yet. But your build has definitely given me something to think about when I restat at 60. Cheers!

Edit: I just took another look at your stats, and I wonder why you favor Charisma over Wisdom? Is the Crit Chance buff that much more important than the four solid buffs from Wisdom, or am I just not acknowledging Comabt Advantage enough?
  • muttonmunchingmuttonmunching Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I like the build, I quite often run a PvP control wizard, I would reccomend using thaumaturge (Middle tree) above renegade, I and a friend both respeced once for each tree of feats, and found that the thaumaturge tree is quite easily the strongest, it comes with 2 HUGE DoTs in one package, 400% of weapon damage as un-negateable damage on about 15% of your encounters (800% in PvE, insane either way) along with 25% increased icy ray damage, single target range to outrange other casters, and a bunch of damage buffs, Renegade does have times when it is really nice, but thaumaturge can absolutely blow it out of the water. Also I would reccomend maxing wisdom instead of charisma, combat advantage damage is good, but you get better recharges from maxing wisdom instead (I maxed INT and WIS, as well as having a belt of wisdom, just crazy recharge reduction+ap gain)

Ability guide looks great other than that though, if you are ever looking for another CW to PvP with/compare build to hit me up @FE4Rofth3D4RK.
  • krad777krad777 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    This is a good build but I also would recommend Thaumaturge. Our skill set up is nearly identical but thaumaturge does seem to out put quite a bit more damage. I've ran both trees myself. And since you're using EOTS i would recommend Wis > Cha as well. The extra crit chance wont make much of a difference but the recharge rate is noticeable.

I'm sure you do very well with this build though. Always good to see other well built CW's out there. I'm constantly seeing horribly built ones in PVP.
    "An Idle mind is the devils workshop"
  • sirfortysirforty Member Posts: 35
    edited April 2015
    krad777 wrote: »
    This is a good build but I also would recommend Thaumaturge. Our skill set up is nearly identical but thaumaturge does seem to out put quite a bit more damage. I've ran both trees myself. And since you're using EOTS i would recommend Wis > Cha as well. The extra crit chance wont make much of a difference but the recharge rate is noticeable.

I'm sure you do very well with this build though. Always good to see other well built CW's out there. I'm constantly seeing horribly built ones in PVP.

I used Thaumaturge for a bit, and creeping frost is indeed awesome, along with assailant. I opted for renegade purely for the heals that come out of it, and the fact the heals can benefit a team if you don't have a cleric. Also the 30% team bonus damage and the other buffs. I just stacked the recovery enchants instead of using points WIS and took CHA for the extra crit chance when you don't have EotS up, my recovery is already at 38% for non spell mastery encounters, so I didn't feel the need for the extra %. I bet I'll eventually end up trying to roll with WIS eventually to see whats up though.

I've also opted out of EotS and went for the feat that gives 10% crit for having chilling presence slotted. Don't know why, but it seems I crit more often with this for some reason...can't remember who, but someone said to try it out and it works nicely (not counting the damage buff from it as well). The only thig I miss about EotS is not being able to time a guaranteed crit on ice knife or icy rays to get those huge numbers up (both of those crit for 20k+ for me). Might go back to EotS to compare some numbers again.

Started seeing a lot of CW in pvp rocking the same skills I've been using, so it's cool seeing others crapping on people haha. Lots of fun as always

Xbox One
  • krad777krad777 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    sirforty wrote: »
    I used Thaumaturge for a bit, and creeping frost is indeed awesome, along with assailant. I opted for renegade purely for the heals that come out of it, and the fact the heals can benefit a team if you don't have a cleric. Also the 30% team bonus damage and the other buffs. I just stacked the recovery enchants instead of using points WIS and took CHA for the extra crit chance when you don't have EotS up, my recovery is already at 38% for non spell mastery encounters, so I didn't feel the need for the extra %. I bet I'll eventually end up trying to roll with WIS eventually to see whats up though.

I've also opted out of EotS and went for the feat that gives 10% crit for having chilling presence slotted. Don't know why, but it seems I crit more often with this for some reason...can't remember who, but someone said to try it out and it works nicely (not counting the damage buff from it as well). The only thig I miss about EotS is not being able to time a guaranteed crit on ice knife or icy rays to get those huge numbers up (both of those crit for 20k+ for me). Might go back to EotS to compare some numbers again.

Started seeing a lot of CW in pvp rocking the same skills I've been using, so it's cool seeing others crapping on people haha. Lots of fun as always

Nice. Cant go wrong with either build. And agreed! More CW's are starting to catch on. Me and you literally run the same skill set up just a different build. I'm sure I'll be seeing you in game.

Cheers.
    "An Idle mind is the devils workshop"
  • sirfortysirforty Member Posts: 35
    edited April 2015
    Whats your CW name? I'm sure I've already played either against or with you already.

Xbox One