test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Focused Wizardry

unangwataunangwata Member Posts: 183 Arc User
edited April 2015 in The Library
Hi, i am quite new to CW and i have dilema about Focused Wizardry feat. 30% damage increase for single target powers seems pretty OP, however 10% loss of damage to area effect powers looks significant because CW have them so many. So i am not sure how useful will it be for my wizard (until i get Desintegration that is, isn't it too powerfull??). Also how does it work with at-will like Chilling Cloud which does aoe damage on last hit, or mastery powers which gain aoe effect (like Repel) , do they lose the feat bonus and gain penalty ?
Generally I'm not sure how many aoe powers I will use or are they worth using, should i focus on single target (bosses)?

Thank you for any advice you have
Post edited by unangwata on

Comments

• helpimblindinrlhelpimblindinrl Member Posts: 972 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    If you are into pvp you want focued wizardry if you aren't dont worry about it
  • grabmooregrabmoore Member Posts: 188 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    If you are Master of Flame, take it! It significantly increases smolder damage.
    If you are 0815 Spellstorm lamer, don't.
    @grabmoore

Heroes of Darkness

Retired since 02/15
    My opinions are my own. Please do not judge my friends nor guild for my statements.
  • abaddon523abaddon523 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I find that Focused Wizardry is absolutely worth it on all builds.

In general, the times you need damage most is during bosses where you will typically be using single target spells. Pumping up the damage of Ice Knife, Icy Rays, and Disintegration alone is enough to make the feat well worth your while.

Chill strike is a single target spell. When slotted in tab it becomes AoE. So focused wizardry will buff it 30% normally, but will decrease its effectiveness 10% if placed on tab. The same is true of Repel. Chilling Cloud is classified as an AoE all the time so it gets the 10% nerf for all casts.

Something else worth knowing is that Storm Spell procs will also get a buff or a nerf depending on what spell procs them. So if you cast Icy Terrain and it crits and you have Focused Wizardry then the Storm Spell procs will do 10% less damage. If you are casting Ray of Frost and it crits and you have Focused Wizardry then the Storm Spell procs will do 30% more damage.

The total net effect is that you will do a bit less damage over the course of a dungeon run with Focused Wizardry. However, you will do significantly more damage when you NEED the damage. Burning the boss down is a much more important time to be squeezing out every last bit of DPS you can muster than it is while clearing the dungeon.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ofnieslafofnieslaf Member Posts: 381 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    grabmoore wrote: »
    If you are Master of Flame, take it! It significantly increases smolder damage.
    If you are 0815 Spellstorm lamer, don't.

since when mof acts condescending? pls know ur place, which is below spellstorm thanks

ONTOPIC: yes it worth it..... because of boss fights, where most damage is required. + it makes you excel in both pvp and pve

regards
  • aulduronaulduron Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,351 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I don't use it. I only use single target powers when there is only one mob to fight. So, not very often.
  • nathyielnathyiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    As MoF, I choose not to invest into it.
    since mod6, smolder damage haven't been that huge in comparison to other damage. I use it as a debuff with swath of destruction.
    3 point in it result for me in a 1k damage increase in smolder but a 3k loss on steal time. The same goes for it, etc.
    For me, when I balance the gain and the lost, it is a little damage increase if not a no change at all. In comparison, the other 2 are net gains in all case.
  • c1k4ml3kc3c1k4ml3kc3 Member Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    unangwata wrote: »
    Hi, i am quite new to CW and i have dilema about Focused Wizardry feat. 30% damage increase for single target powers seems pretty OP, however 10% loss of damage to area effect powers looks significant because CW have them so many. So i am not sure how useful will it be for my wizard (until i get Desintegration that is, isn't it too powerfull??). Also how does it work with at-will like Chilling Cloud which does aoe damage on last hit, or mastery powers which gain aoe effect (like Repel) , do they lose the feat bonus and gain penalty ?
    Generally I'm not sure how many aoe powers I will use or are they worth using, should i focus on single target (bosses)?

Thank you for any advice you have

It's not "OP" the way you think if your base damage is 10k, it'll be 13k, but your overall AoE spells will significantly lose their usefulness in the runs with a lot of mobs.

Focused Wizardry is a must against the new bosses given that the Arpen became the best attribute that you can get now (or the one that you get the best results for the invested buck).

It's a very good feat for Single-target spells.

However, I do believe that investment in Learned Spellcaster performs better against the new mobs and I find them much harder to deal with rather than the end-boss.

Having one CW specializing in Spellcaster and one in FW is a very good combo.
    True Neutral
    Left the Game due to heavy Damage Control & Missing Spanish Language
  • angrymanagementangrymanagement Member Posts: 487 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Below is some parse information regarding Focused Wizardry & Spell Storm.
    This was done with minimal feats & no proc pets/boons. Class abilities are EoTS & Storm Spell.
    The first 3 damage numbers are generated from AOE attacks (COI, IT, ST, SS, Storm Pillar, OF). The Forth Number is generated from Single Target attacks (Disintegrate, EF, CS, IR, Ray of Frost, IK).
    Each parse was over 500 seconds.

29vj8cg.jpg

Keep in mind, that for PVE, the most StormSpell procs come from COI & IT (constant ticks with Spell Twisting). After that would be RoE (6 ticks or perma with Spell Twisting) & EF (4 ticks). While the DPS of the encounters themselves may seem less than other encounters, once you take the multip proc chances into account they seem to come out ahead.

Edit: RoE & EF can only proc Storm Spell once on the first tick.
  • abaddon523abaddon523 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Below is some parse information regarding Focused Wizardry & Spell Storm.
    This was done with minimal feats & no proc pets/boons. Class abilities are EoTS & Storm Spell.
    The first 3 damage numbers are generated from AOE attacks (COI, IT, ST, SS, Storm Pillar, OF). The Forth Number is generated from Single Target attacks (Disintegrate, EF, CS, IR, Ray of Frost, IK).
    Each parse was over 500 seconds.

29vj8cg.jpg

Keep in mind, that for PVE, the most StormSpell procs come from COI & IT (constant ticks with Spell Twisting). After that would be RoE (6 ticks or perma with Spell Twisting) & EF (4 ticks). While the DPS of the encounters themselves may seem less than other encounters, once you take the multip proc chances into account they seem to come out ahead.

It's not always the number of damage ticks that indicates how many chances a spell has to proc effects. Ray of Enfeeblement counts as 1 encounter spell even though it does damage over time. Entangling Force works the same way. Whereas Steal Time, even though it only does damage once, has multiple slow ticks and each tick "counts" as an encounter spell and can proc Storm Spell.

But thanks for the breakdown. It is consistent with the testing I've done.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • angrymanagementangrymanagement Member Posts: 487 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    That's a little disappointing on the EF & ROE procs. Oh well.
    Chill Strike does outdamage EF without multiple procs.