What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Trickster Rogue (Thief) in PvP !!!!

wade8765wade8765 Member Posts: 86 Arc User
edited April 2015 in PvP Discussion
Trickster Rogue (Thief) in PvP

Thread copied to appropriate Forum...

I'm a Level 52 Hunter Ranger. I'n PvP I'm losing a lot of One on One contests. But the character who can beat me without even losing a single hit point is the Trickster Rogue. How do you combat him? He goes invisible and I can't do anything. If I run he gets me with daggers. If I move all over the place he gets me with that knife through the neck ability he gets. I'm not complaining, I just want some tips on what to do

Please Help

Thanks

Post edited by wade8765 on

Comments

• Options
    crispyslinky07crispyslinky07 Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Just run...
    Ant
    < Goon Squad >
  • Options
    fukiiyufukiiyu Member Posts: 159 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2015
    Just run...

Again, look up a trapper build and watch some pvp videos of someone playing HR.

It doesn't have to be Xbox One content, even the PC version could show you some tips/tricks that you may not have though of.
  • Options
    wade8765wade8765 Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Thanks, that is good advice. I'll watch some vids!!

My other plan is to start a Rogue character and see how others can over come me as the thief! I bet that when I play a Rogue I'll get killed over and over again because put simply my skill level needs improvement!!

LOL

Thanks Again

• Options
    latinlegendlatinlegend Member Posts: 43
    edited April 2015
    Trapper does not do much to help when they can skill lock the **** out of you & THEN pile on the damage. I run a PvP specific trapper build & unless I just happen to catch a rouge off guard OR run into one that does not know what they are doing, I still get melted with ease. The issue is that they are ridiculously OP in the current module running on the Xbox One but a fat nerf is coming form them in a later module which should put them in there place. Of course, with the nerfs come buffs in other areas so it depends on how people take it. Class is broken as hell though at the moment. THAT much is for sure.
  • Options
    krad777krad777 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Trapper does not do much to help when they can skill lock the **** out of you & THEN pile on the damage. I run a PvP specific trapper builder & unless I just happen to catch a rouge off guard OR run into one that does not know what they are doing, I still get melted with ease. The issue is that they are ridiculously OP in the current module running on the Xbox One but a fat nerf is coming form them in a later module which should put them in there place. Of course, with the nerfs come buffs in other areas so it depends on how people take it. Class is broken as hell though. THAT much is for sure.

In b4 rogue players reply and tell you to "learn your class, rogues aren't op etc."

While I don't agree with them being EXTREMELY overpowered, it is pretty clear that playing as a Rogue in pvp=Easy mode.
    "An Idle mind is the devils workshop"
  • Options
    fukiiyufukiiyu Member Posts: 159 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2015
    wade8765 wrote: »
    Thanks, that is good advice. I'll watch some vids!!

My other plan is to start a Rogue character and see how others can over come me as the thief! I bet that when I play a Rogue I'll get killed over and over again because put simply my skill level needs improvement!!

LOL

Thanks Again

Yes, you will die a lot at first and that's because you over extended and probably missed your LB. (If that is the spec you're going for)

Knowing when to engage and not to engage is key as a TR.

Thinking you're OP and invincible then running into the enemy group LB 1 of them, probably killing them, will leave you wide open for CC and burst killed.

Good luck with your Rogue, you won't really see how it's done until you hit 60 and join in on the end-game PvP though..
  • Options
    munkey81munkey81 Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Trapper does not do much to help when they can skill lock the **** out of you & THEN pile on the damage. I run a PvP specific trapper build & unless I just happen to catch a rouge off guard OR run into one that does not know what they are doing, I still get melted with ease. The issue is that they are ridiculously OP in the current module running on the Xbox One but a fat nerf is coming form them in a later module which should put them in there place. Of course, with the nerfs come buffs in other areas so it depends on how people take it. Class is broken as hell though at the moment. THAT much is for sure.

I am sorry friend but I completely disagree with you. I have personally played against you in quite a few matches that I can recall. Every match, you chose to try and tank my TR in Duelist Flurry. I almost never had to even use encounters, because you just stood still. There are certain encounters from each class that you will definitely want to avoid at all costs. Duelist Flurry, while not an encounter, is one of them. It will absolutely destroy you, if you just stand there and take it..especially when used in Stealth. Especially an Executioner TR like myself, that's just loading up damage on you with Shadow of Demise.

Of all the class's in this game, the Trapper HR has been my best and closest 1 vs 1 fight. As well as I have been absolutely melted before I even knew what hit me from one at range.

Nerfs incoming for TR's? I am afraid you are mistaken my friend. Shadow of Demise is fixed in Mod 6. Other than that, they have tweaked certain abilities and encounters, increased dmg on numerous encounters/abilities.

The skilled TR's are going to be even more deadly when PC mods hit Xbox.

The class's are all very balanced in Xbox, its people gearing improperly and not understanding game mechanics of each class that is the problem.

I recommend watching some PvP vids of HR Trappers buddy. Doesn't have to be xbox either. There are a ton of them out there on youtube. HR Trappers are naaaaaaasty man. I know instantly when I'm playing against a good one, and any mistake that I make will certainly end in my death.

Cheers!
  • Options
    muttonmunchingmuttonmunching Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    People complaining about TRs are taking things a little too far, they are quite easily countered with either a few CC abilities at the right time, a good tank/cleric, and a little bit of noticing when their names pop up when they want to lashing blade you, I currently run PvP on my 60 CW and 40 TR, (Soon to be 60 TR) and I have noticed that end game with a little bit of smart positioning I can 1 burst almost all TRs that I end up going up against in PvP, especially with their only defensive skills doing massive amounts of punishment to their burst damage. Rogues are supposed to kill you quickly, they don't have good defense and can be easily killed by ranged classes who learn a little bit of CC kiting/dodging during the rogue's pre-attack animations. If you are looking for a class to directly counter rogues I reccomend GFs or Clerics as they can be set up with enough HP to stop any rogue without a perfect crit build with a greater vorpal (Those will show up, then you can start to complain a little and go buy an enchant to counter it or respec.) The only class on xbox one that deserves any sort of change in PvP right now is the Scourge Warlocks, and that is simply because they are based off the wrong types of damage to win vs most other classes, (charged abilities, obvious animations, and high damage that only kicks in over-time, and can be killed before they get all the required ticks on their abilities) Please stop complaining about TRs, learn your class, (You can find quides all over the internet, just use google, and respec for the 70,000 or so AD it will take to get 500 zen.) and try to counterplay those squishy rogues, everyone can do it, just need a little planning and less acting like you are playing CoD.
  • Options
    latinlegendlatinlegend Member Posts: 43
    edited April 2015
    munkey81 wrote: »
    I am sorry friend but I completely disagree with you. I have personally played against you in quite a few matches that I can recall. Every match, you chose to try and tank my TR in Duelist Flurry. I almost never had to even use encounters, because you just stood still.
    Cheers!

You have not played me because for one, with someone as rich of a PvP background as mines, I do not stand still. I am always moving & switching stances. On top of that, the name I use on this board is not the name I use in the game. That is someone else you encountered as I only PvP in the early AM hours just for the dailies & nothing else. I do not plan to make PvP something I do regularly as it is laughable compared to some vastly superior experiences, such as Dark Age of Camelot. Hell, even Tera makes this PvP look like joke. As for the Nerfs, unless the patch notes & numerous threads I've read are misleading, nerfs are coming to better balance them with the other classes. Even with them, they are much stronger than they should be. Pretty much copying the damage bad PvP MMO's like WoW did to the rouge or " dagger " class on a whole.
  • Options
    uloi1234uloi1234 Member Posts: 44
    edited April 2015
    You have not played me because for one, with someone as rich of a PvP background as mines, I do not stand still. I am always moving & switching stances. On top of that, the name I use on this board is not the name I use in the game. That is someone else you encountered as I only PvP in the early AM hours just for the dailies & nothing else. I do not plan to make PvP something I do regularly as it is laughable compared to some vastly superior experiences, such as Dark Age of Camelot. Hell, even Tera makes this PvP look like joke. As for the Nerfs, unless the patch notes & numerous threads I've read are misleading, nerfs are coming to better balance them with the other classes. Even with them, they are much stronger than they should be. Pretty much copying the damage bad PvP MMO's like WoW did to the rouge or " dagger " class on a whole.

DAOC had plenty of pain points. When it started you could chain mezz. As a minstrel I could just beat on someone, mezz, sit, rinse and repeat until they died. Hell you could do it to 3 people and there wasn't s@#$ they could do about it.
  • Options
    rapier89rapier89 Member Posts: 42
    edited April 2015
    People complaining about TRs are taking things a little too far, they are quite easily countered with either a few CC abilities at the right time, a good tank/cleric, and a little bit of noticing when their names pop up when they want to lashing blade you, I currently run PvP on my 60 CW and 40 TR, (Soon to be 60 TR) and I have noticed that end game with a little bit of smart positioning I can 1 burst almost all TRs that I end up going up against in PvP, especially with their only defensive skills doing massive amounts of punishment to their burst damage. Rogues are supposed to kill you quickly, they don't have good defense and can be easily killed by ranged classes who learn a little bit of CC kiting/dodging during the rogue's pre-attack animations. If you are looking for a class to directly counter rogues I reccomend GFs or Clerics as they can be set up with enough HP to stop any rogue without a perfect crit build with a greater vorpal (Those will show up, then you can start to complain a little and go buy an enchant to counter it or respec.) The only class on xbox one that deserves any sort of change in PvP right now is the Scourge Warlocks, and that is simply because they are based off the wrong types of damage to win vs most other classes, (charged abilities, obvious animations, and high damage that only kicks in over-time, and can be killed before they get all the required ticks on their abilities) Please stop complaining about TRs, learn your class, (You can find quides all over the internet, just use google, and respec for the 70,000 or so AD it will take to get 500 zen.) and try to counterplay those squishy rogues, everyone can do it, just need a little planning and less acting like you are playing CoD.

The problems isn't necessarily with the rouge one shot ability(though 20-30k crits are ridiculous), because dodging it can be done in most situations and no one who is ranged should ever stay still in pvp unless they arent being attacked or the enemy is preoccupied.Its that currently on the xbox one they are in so great numbers do to that ability, that you dodge one of them only to be hit by 2 more. PvP matches would run a whole lot smoother if a que system was in place to stop people from going against 2-3 rouges in a group all speced for 1 shot that usually run when they miss and re stealth to try again. I've seen bad rouges that wouldn't fight me straight up and me with 20% health unless they could do it from stealth and go for the one shot, on the other hand i have been wrecked by good rouges so quick i literally didn't even know what was going on and them not even go for the insta kill abitlty. There are far more ****ty rouges out there than they are good, and the ****ty ones go down quick. Simply because they have heard people complain about constantly getting one shotted by them so they roll one in the hopes of doing it to. Knowing how to play your class or dodge can only go so far when you dodge one only to be hit by another.

I played with a group of people that had never tried the pvp before last night,I knew the chance of winning a match was slim but I told them how much fun it was and that it was a challenge compared to the pve content and usually an easy way to get daily ad from quests. we played 3 matches and all 3 matches had 2-3 rouges who would insta kill then run. Because of that those people said they would never pvp again in this game again. I understand sometimes you just have bad luck in a que. But to consistently get in a match against 2-3 rouges has nothing to do with bad luck, just a bad que system in general. You wouldn't expect nor want to get on a 4 man rouge team in the pve que system, the same should be said for pvp.
  • Options
    gatorfanaticgatorfanatic Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    munkey81 wrote: »
    I am sorry friend but I completely disagree with you. I have personally played against you in quite a few matches that I can recall. Every match, you chose to try and tank my TR in Duelist Flurry. I almost never had to even use encounters, because you just stood still. There are certain encounters from each class that you will definitely want to avoid at all costs. Duelist Flurry, while not an encounter, is one of them. It will absolutely destroy you, if you just stand there and take it..especially when used in Stealth. Especially an Executioner TR like myself, that's just loading up damage on you with Shadow of Demise.

Of all the class's in this game, the Trapper HR has been my best and closest 1 vs 1 fight. As well as I have been absolutely melted before I even knew what hit me from one at range.

Nerfs incoming for TR's? I am afraid you are mistaken my friend. Shadow of Demise is fixed in Mod 6. Other than that, they have tweaked certain abilities and encounters, increased dmg on numerous encounters/abilities.

The skilled TR's are going to be even more deadly when PC mods hit Xbox.

The class's are all very balanced in Xbox, its people gearing improperly and not understanding game mechanics of each class that is the problem.

I recommend watching some PvP vids of HR Trappers buddy. Doesn't have to be xbox either. There are a ton of them out there on youtube. HR Trappers are naaaaaaasty man. I know instantly when I'm playing against a good one, and any mistake that I make will certainly end in my death.

Cheers!

Well I guess I'll join the TR bandwagon then Since that the only viable class in PvP
  • Options
    robertdiazrobertdiaz Member Posts: 43
    edited April 2015
    The key to killing TR's as a HR is to find them before they can do their 1-shot combo on you. I see so many players that just stand still when they cap a point or move in a predictable direction without doing anything to try and reveal them.

Once you know a rogue is on the other team you have to use your utilities to identify them-- aka the lantern artifact, rapid-strike / AOE melee moves, unpredictable dodges in and out of the circle. Positioning yourself just outside a point once you've capped it is another key, because the rogue will reveal himself the second he steps onto it...since that will cause the point to become contested despite no one being there. You can even do this on the home points by moving from one side of the circle to the other and randomly slashing, then hesitating outside it, then randomly dodging, etc. Eventually the rogue has to step on a point to get to you and hit the alarm. Aoe'ing with melee in random directions also kills their stealth meter if you make contact so you can quickly figure out if they're near where you're slashing.

You should keep up fox's cunning as much as possible and use fox shift whenever an un-stealthed enemy comes in range. Fox shift can and will hit them out of stealth if they are near a teammate you've targeted or if you face where they are.

I try and stream pvp fairly often so if anything you're welcome to watch and see what I do.
    Britney Spears Hunter Ranger

twitch.tv/xx_alucard