test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Just to confirm: Pre-"Power creep" Tier 2 armor to be thrown away now?

skrimshaw72skrimshaw72 Member Posts: 32 Arc User
edited April 2015 in General Discussion (PC)
I'm sure this was covered, but I guess I'm having a hard time wraping my head around the fact that the Tier 2 Lv 60 armor I spent months earning is now totally invalid and I'm expected to throw it away? I keep searching *I'll admidt my search-fu might be weak* for ways to enjoy the game in that hard earned armor, but alas I'm not finding it. I guess I assumed they were going to make it so our armor would grow in level with us. Turns out even my Xvim's set wont grow past level 60.

Someone please tell me there is a forge fuled by gold (NWN HoU referance) that will allow me to upgrade my hard earnd stuff instead of living with the knowladg there is now green "vendor trash" more powerful?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Did your level 40 armor grow with you to 50? Did your level 50 armor grow with you to 60? Why would you expect your level 60 armor to be useful at 70? This is what happens when levels are added. And lets be real none of the T2 dungeon armors where anything close to hard earned after Tiamat starting dropping them by the gross.

The only real hard earned armor is black ice, and that can be upgraded.
  • totallyspamtotallyspam Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    This must be your first MMO because in the history of the MMOverse, any time a lvl cap is increased the previous gear becomes obsolete - always.
  • haelrahaelra Member Posts: 220 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Remove the enchants and salvage for a handful of AD.
  • walk2kwalk2k Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Remove the enchants and salvage for a handful of AD.

confirmed

to be fair, that stuff is 2+ years old.

I mean I was watching an old video from beta, a certain well known streamer's then-mega-elite CW was wearing.... HV of course.
  • suicidalgodotsuicidalgodot Member Posts: 2,465 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'll be keeping my good old HP and HV for when some extra "bit" of debuffing might come handy, and the lack of HP less relevant (as you're OSKed with those 50k extra from 70 armor, too, anyway). Similar deal with the extra stealth armor for TR. But that's been the keepers...

...and I don't really expect it to ever get used again - except maybe eventually for morphing.
  • twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Slightly depends on your class and what T2 set you had. My TR is still in her T2 PVP set because the stealth bonus is just too good to go without, but she hasn't hit 70 yet so that may change. I expect my other toons will upgrade sooner.
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • lordrhavinlordrhavin Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    This must be your first MMO because in the history of the MMOverse, any time a lvl cap is increased the previous gear becomes obsolete - always.

Yeah. Does say much about the care and vision of the developers regarding roleplaying. Hell prevent, one could simply sell it on AH to help the next adventurer getting from 60 to ~65. This game is completely made for max-level; the only mission you have in level 1-70 is: get to lvl70 as fast as you can. But If that's the mission, i simply dont understand why they not make every zone a lvl-70-zone and let players start at lvl 70.

There is no use for all that profession items you can create because players that could use it level so fast that they dont come into needing it, there is much to fast leveling (im lvl 68 with my GF and still in 3rd camp of reclamation rock!) and there is no concept at all for a world playable (not just leveling) by players of ANY level between 10 and 70. Those Lvl60-gear could still have use if leveling from 60 to 70 would take you a year and drops of high level item would be REALLY RARE. But again, hell prevent, someone would actually think.

So much potential in world and content, leading to such a small game.
  • umscheumsche Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 461 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    In the 2 MMOs from US I've played, it works this way. First you level up to the cap, then you gear up. The gear you get by leveling becomes quickly obsolete.

It works the way you seem to want it in Korean MMOs, leveling takes ages and max level is a very hard goal to obtain but still, once you change tier level, previous tier gear becomes obsolete.
  • lordrhavinlordrhavin Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    umsche wrote: »
    In the 2 MMOs from US I've played, it works this way. First you level up to the cap, then you gear up. The gear you get by leveling becomes quickly obsolete.

Pretty close to what we in europe think of the avarage us-american cultural philosophy and œcologic behaviour xD
    edited April 2015
    It's still much more european friendly than korean farmfest. :)

Getting 0.15% of a level and close to no loot with an intense hour grind is not that great.
  • khimera906khimera906 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    The only real hard earned armor is black ice, and that can be upgraded.
    No-no-no, Black Ice gear took us forever to farm - forever - and some had to buy it with real world money when it was on sale. It was that bad. Your analogy means nothing when level 40-50 gear is just trash you find while leveling. Black Ice gear can not be upgraded. You have to farm it again and upgrade those pieces.
    I want to upgrade my Corrupted Black Ice gear into a new set of end game gear, not farm the original pieces again, and upgrade them into a mediocre set with more HP. That is not an upgrade, and asking us to farm Black Ice gear again is sadistic.

I don't want a free upgrade, I wanna work for it - that's ok, but after the **** they put us through to get that gear, they better find a way to keep it relevant somehow. I would really hate to just salvage it for a little Black Ice.
    I hate dancing with Lady Luck. She always steps on my toes.
  • kahfakahfa Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited April 2015

It works the way you seem to want it in Korean MMOs, leveling takes ages and max level is a very hard goal to obtain but still, once you change tier level, previous tier gear becomes obsolete.

i think there isn't any mmo where your lvl 1 equipment will still be your equipment even after reaching max lvl. Almost all, if not totally all, MMOs makes you upgrade your equipment as you lvl up
    Misfits
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    khimera906 wrote: »
    No-no-no, Black Ice gear took us forever to farm - forever - and some had to buy it with real world money when it was on sale. It was that bad. Your analogy means nothing when level 40-50 gear is just trash you find while leveling. Black Ice gear can not be upgraded. You have to farm it again and upgrade those pieces.
    I want to upgrade my Corrupted Black Ice gear into a new set of end game gear, not farm the original pieces again, and upgrade them into a mediocre set with more HP. That is not an upgrade, and asking us to farm Black Ice gear again is sadistic.

I don't want a free upgrade, I wanna work for it - that's ok, but after the **** they put us through to get that gear, they better find a way to keep it relevant somehow. I would really hate to just salvage it for a little Black Ice.

You CAN upgrade your Purified or Corrupted BI gloves via level 4 BI Crafting. And if you're talking about "forever" to farm being the 11 second run from the docks to the vendor to buy the other three pieces...I can't help you much there.

And the upgraded version is substantially more powerful than the regular set.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • fenchimpfenchimp Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    What I don't get is why make everyone's ages and ages of hard work obsolete just for 10 crappy levels... If they were going to do that, why not go the distance and add 40, capping at 100? They came out with enough new content that there could have been an adventure area for every 10 levels, and one could completely max out all of their moves. But for a meager 10 poorly-executed levels, overwriting two and a half years of laboring in the game seems like a stretch.
  • burkaancburkaanc Member Posts: 2,186 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    holy %<font color="orange">HAMSTER</font># your 2 year old armor isnt bis anymore, getting t2 was easy past mod 2, and in mod 5 you could get a full set for peanuts
    Paladin Master Race
  • drkbodhidrkbodhi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,378 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    lordrhavin wrote: »
    Pretty close to what we in europe think of the avarage us-american cultural philosophy and œcologic behaviour xD

Awesome... and I agree as a non-average American".
    ez0sf4K.png
    Atwil "At" - Tiefling TR / Saardush - Black Dragonborn GWF / White - Tiefling OP
    Leadership Council of Civil Anarchy
    SYNERGY Alliance
  • lerdocixlerdocix Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    fenchimp wrote: »
    What I don't get is why make everyone's ages and ages of hard work obsolete just for 10 crappy levels... If they were going to do that, why not go the distance and add 40, capping at 100? They came out with enough new content that there could have been an adventure area for every 10 levels, and one could completely max out all of their moves. But for a meager 10 poorly-executed levels, overwriting two and a half years of laboring in the game seems like a stretch.

God forbid the MMO releases a major expansion and your 2 year old BIS gear becomes now leveling gear!
    You'd make that argument on say WoW forums, you'd be communities laughing stock for the rest of your life.
    edited April 2015
    fenchimp wrote: »
    But for a meager 10 poorly-executed levels, overwriting two and a half years of laboring in the game seems like a stretch.

Laboring? You call playing a game Labor? Why would you do that to yourself?
  • fenchimpfenchimp Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    lerdocix wrote: »
    God forbid the MMO releases a major expansion and your 2 year old BIS gear becomes now leveling gear!
    You'd make that argument on say WoW forums, you'd be communities laughing stock for the rest of your life.

Well, considering I joined these forums four months ago and everyone thinks I JUST started this game, I'm already a laughing stock. Nothing I say has any merit or impact whatsoever, so why not speak my mind? This is a forum for conversation, after all.
  • twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    lerdocix wrote: »
    God forbid the MMO releases a major expansion
    I'd hesitate to call Mod 6 a major expansion. Very little new content. Raising the level cap and the adjustment of the stat curves does not, IMO, qualify as an expansion. More of a reset.
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • b0rkch0pb0rkch0p Member Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    My Draconic Templar set I got finished in Feb or March.. but to be fair I only started back at the end of Dec.. but still seems sad that all that work I did in tiamat to get the full set all I get is salvage.. ah well.. gives me something to do again. I'm waiting for that one moment the Green says it's better than a piece in the Purple 4set which will break it =/
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,335 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    T2 gear was not hard earned for a long time since mod 5. The whole set of 4 pieces AoW (for GWF) was like 30K AD for all 4 (not each).
    Same for MH for DC.
    Black ice gear needed work. The ToD gear needed work. AE gear was "hard earned" because of all the refinement.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,335 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    -- already answered by somebody else ---
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • suicidalgodotsuicidalgodot Member Posts: 2,465 Arc User
    edited April 2015

Two remarks:

(1) In most games I played so far the obsolescence of gear is less of a problem as the acquisition of decent stuff isn't that grindy unless you want a very specific thing. And this months- or millions-consuming (or illicitly accelerated) refining process to finally get it to full power either isn't there at all or way less hard.

(2) The Norwegian MMO I play (The Secret World) works completely differently - leveling up can be a horrible grind, and yes, your gear becomes obsolete over time, but there it's more of a continuous process. P2W? Nay. P2LookDapper, or for some boost in the very early phases, or some time-limited 2x XP or Skill Point buff. Getting Purple gear is difficult, but anyway a topic only for the endgame...

...but there you can respec in the middle of the dungeoun for moderate in-game currency cost, save multiple char configs and switch between them at a moments notice in three seconds, can learn every skill in the game with every char,... ...that is a factor where the skill based and party composition based teamwork aspect can shine.

Here, where your chars' choices are fairly limited, and the time demand to get them well-geared is atrociously high, the difficulty to build up your char after hitting the magic 70 we currently see is at best an ugly nuisance, and for many longtme players a really nasty surprise. And for the newcomers a really tough hurdle.

Furthermore the way to enforce the obsolescence of old gear used here is at best cheaply executed. It does work, but neither are there adequate replacements for what we lose, nor are there adequate stepping stones for the new players...

lordrhavin wrote: »

...and economic, and manufacturing quality, and social security and responsibility, and foreign policy,...

Yup. But politics shouldn't be discussed here. Still, the current situation in this game is so typically US-American: Wreak havoc and tell people to adapt, leave, or perish. Traditions? Meh. Your traditions don't interest me, and ours? Well, now don't get sentimental, that's a luxury... ...nothing personal, you know, but the boss said: "do it!" and so I do.
  • ashnvfashnvf Member Posts: 294 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The problem isn't the obsolescence of gear per se, it's the way they went about it.

In most games when the level cap is expanded, they add new regions or sections within existing regions and of course new gear. However, if you had best in slot gear, the "green/blue" gear would only be slightly better. Likewise, you would be more than ok to use your old gear in the old content and usually even could get by with the old gear in the new zones. To make matters even worse, they removed all the old gear drops. Thus the only HV pieces you can get are what you have, or what you can find on the AH.

What they unfortunately did here is redo the entire mechanics of the game, such that a level 70 (even in BiS 70 gear) will be weaker than a 60 BiS was in the old content. Likewise, due to the fact that mobs hit way harder and you need 3-5x as much HP as before, you need to use the new gear or else you get one shotted.

So, the new gear is NOT better than the old gear. Nothing they have introduced has made the new gear exciting or fun. HV is still far better than any of this <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, with the exception of the HP they added on. So instead of coming up with new 4 piece bonuses, or failing that, slightly improved versions of 4 piece bonuses, they decided to take a mulligan.

Unfortunately, what I think will happen is there will come a time when players find an easy way around the HP issue of the old gear, and it will become a necessity to have a set of the old stuff. At the end of the day, 30% extra group damage is pretty huge when you want to do speed runs.

Then again is there really anything worth farming in the new content that anyone wants to do speed runs?
  • katbozejziemikatbozejziemi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    You spent months to get 4 pieces of armor? Maybe you should reevaluate how you play.