test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Help Paladin At-Will and Encounter for Tank Leveling 45+

drakeos99drakeos99 Member Posts: 393 Arc User
edited April 2015 in The Citadel
So what's decent At-Will for leveling cause been switch from Valourios/Oath Strike (Main dps) but secondary is shield bash (MUST have)

.... any suggestion ?
Drakeos Lightblade - Human - Oathbound Paladin (Protection) (MAIN)
Drakeos Shadowbow - 60 Combat Pathfinder Hunter Ranger (Alt/retired)
Falados - Drow (Mez) Level 60 Trickster Rogue - Offically retired
Drakeos - Drow (Mez) Scourge Warlock/Druid (retired)
Post edited by drakeos99 on

Comments

• Options
    moobenw1moobenw1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    im using radiant strike, wich im guesing you are calling shield bash, for obvious reasons. awesome gap closer aswell as a nice armorpen buf.

next im using Shielding strike. higher dmg then Valorous and i personaly find the shield more usefull aswell on lower levels as the dmg taken is so low that the 5% resist will come down to single digits. not sure how it will work out @ 70 yet.

Now Oath Strike i have not played with as i dont like the "Oath of Protection" part of it. The taunt is nice but not needed. The point i dont like, correct me if im missunderstanding it, is the 75% less dmg to other targets. This to me reads as it also affects allies basicly giving the mobs a 75% dmg taken reduction?
  • Options
    couatl13couatl13 Member Posts: 112 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    moobenw1 wrote: »
    Now Oath Strike i have not played with as i dont like the "Oath of Protection" part of it. The taunt is nice but not needed. The point i dont like, correct me if im missunderstanding it, is the 75% less dmg to other targets. This to me reads as it also affects allies basicly giving the mobs a 75% dmg taken reduction?

I think it's more enemies deal 75% less damage to allies, meaning they aren't hitting them as hard as they are hitting you.
  • Options
    wowmiliwowmili Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The "Oath of Protection" from Oath Strike just taunts the Target on the 3rd hit in PVE.
    The "Players deal 75% less damage to other targets for 3 seconds." is just for PVP, because you can't force People to attack you obviously^^ but they then deal 75% less damage to anyone else but you, for 3 seconds.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Guess Shield Strike then ?
  • Options
    chadblodgettchadblodgett Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    moobenw1 wrote: »
    im using radiant strike, wich im guesing you are calling shield bash, for obvious reasons. awesome gap closer aswell as a nice armorpen buf.

next im using Shielding strike. higher dmg then Valorous and i personaly find the shield more usefull aswell on lower levels as the dmg taken is so low that the 5% resist will come down to single digits. not sure how it will work out @ 70 yet.

Oath strike causes the target to become taunted and suffer a 75% damage penalty when attacking anything other than you...so yes, this is an insanely powerful skill to be using
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Its not that powerful really
    i dont think youll need a spammable single target taunt to tank and the "Players deal 75% less damage to other targets for 3 seconds" works only in PVP.

Its still a good Skill to lock a Boss or something on you if you need so much Taunts, i guess.

Atm i'm using Shielding Strike and Radiant Strike (ofc, its crazy)
    But right now i dont feel i need Shielding Strike, i'm using Templars Wrath and that gives a crazy amount of temp hp, i never lose hp.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    What about Encounters and Class action ? (Im using Templar Wrath, Scared Weapon and Smite then for class is Aura of Courage and Aura of Radiance (until aura of solitude)
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    i'm using the exact same skills and wouldnt want to change anything atm^^
    Dont know yet what i think about Aura of Solitude, if "Allies" also means random Players running around then i would rather keep using Aura of Radiance.
  • Options
    moobenw1moobenw1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    wowmili wrote: »
    Its not that powerful really
    i dont think youll need a spammable single target taunt to tank and the "Players deal 75% less damage to other targets for 3 seconds" works only in PVP.

thnx for clarifying that, i just totally missunderstood it then. It should have worded a bit different to clarify it tbh.

dailies:
    Divine judgement: awesome dmg
    Lay on Hands/Heroism: swapping between these 2 whenever i see fit but mostly use AP on divine judgement

Feats:
    Aura of Vengeance: free dmg when mobs hit you, those ticks also proc sacred weapon so decent for ranged tanking aswell.
    Aura of Radiance: Free dmg that builds bonus threat and seems to hit everyone in 30' without a mob cap

Encounters
    Templar's Wrath: you would be silly not to get it, insane shield that never breaks for me + decent aoe dmg
    Smite: good single target with an ok aoe dot. probably swapping it later for Relentless Avenger
    Sacred Weapon: good supplemental dmg on autoswings. this also gets procced by the Aura of the Vengeance feat

these are the skills i use solo, there are so many other encounters that i wanna play with that seem so freaking cool but sadly only seem to have use in a group setting. encounters for group play that come to mind are Blinding Oath/Bane/Vow of Enmity, im only 60 and @ 65 Circle of Power is probably gonna make it into my group setup aswell.
  • Options
    bigwhopperbigwhopper Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    moobenw1 could you list your feats?
    What do you consider the most important stats on eq for leveling
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    first off i am by no means an expert on the paladin and am most likely going the wrong way about it, but considering it is a new class and i can just respec it whenever i see no harm going and picking what i want/like.

I am currently 65 and so far it has been a breeze. I have build my char tanky and thus i am prioritizing the tanking stats Defence>deflect>health>power>Lifesteal>crit. My articats are Waters of elah'zad and the guardian aswel as the paladin ones as they give the tanking stats i want. @70 i will add the SW arti to it for the deflect.

Last time i posted my encounters/feats/yadayada i was level 35. The only thing that has changed is my feat "Aura of Vengeance" has be swapped out for "Aura of Courage". With the reflect eating up my "Sacred Weapon" stacks my dmg wasnt on the targets i wanted it. This way its easier to prioritise the higher health mobs and as a happy side effect my single target is a bit higher aswell.

Feats:
    Weapon Mastery 3/3: just filler points, in hindsight could have probably dumped into Divine action but the crit is always there and while soloing i dont use Divine call to much
    Toughness"3/3: nobrainer 9% health
    Exemplar's Haste 3/3: more encounter spammage
    Wrathful Strikes 3/3: again filler and could also be dumped in lights shield but i prever the extra dmg over 2.5% resist but thats just me
    Impassioned please 3/3: i know i said i didnt use divine call to much solo but its more usefull for solo then the aura radius increase
    Divine Attunement 3/3: 6% more healing recieved, always nice for a tank.
    Steadfast 5/5: 2.5% extra health from constitution,

Paragon
    Bulwark
    Holy resurgence 5/5: it was either this or controll resist, seeing as your shift heals you aswell cant go wrong with extra regen when you have to block for extended periods.
    Stand Fast 5/5: extra dmg resist and deflect, cant go wrong.
    Martyr's Blood 5/5: **** hits me? no problem they will deal 10% less dmg.
    Vigilance 5/5: could also pick the top one but i feel the 25% flat dmg redux has allot more uptime making it for me atleast more usefull.
    Avenger's Pressence 5/5: ally sucks and takes dmg he shouldnt? no problem, you just recover your encounters faster making his fail your succes :D. Damage taken by your active companion WILL also proc this, so have them baddys out.
    Holy Barrier 1/1: nothing much to say, a shield on divine call use after you take dmg. cant go wrong.

Light:
    Gifts of Light 5/5: 10% more healing, cant say anything but thank you.
    Warrior's Bastion 5/5: the sole reason i went into light. 10% more defense from gear, considering i prioritise that highly it will add up.

the final 5 points im not to sure yet where i will drop them. At the moment it is a tossup between "Aura Gifts"(25% of my power as an aura to party) or "Exemplar of the Light"(1500% weapon dmg shield on daily use).

Enchantments i just stacked up on some ****ty draconic rank 4 wich i use whereever there is an open slot. For the utility i use Azure for the extra xp wich with the grind in 61+ is heavily needed.

Companions: i just pick wichever i am in the mood for. Most notably i use a "Fawn of Shiallia" for the healing ring when needed otherwise im using a Renegade Illusionist for ranged. I have also a augmentation companion banked ready for 70, the stat bonus granted by them is just simply to good to pass up on. Otherwise i just level a random pet, the extra input from companions since mod6 is definatly noticable and you SHOULD NOT go without a companion while soloing.

Again i am by no means knowledgable of the game/class and just play how i like to. I could be doing it completely wrong and if i am i am open for input and discusions. Hit my up either here or ingame @ Moobeh_@moobenw1.
  • Options
    twwhoppertwwhopper Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    hey thanks big time for the post...Great information
  • Options
    twwhoppertwwhopper Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    doesn't seem we have any interrupts maybe its just because I am only 25. Mob casting and nothing seems to work.
  • Options
    leafusleafus Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    You don't need a healer companion as protection. You don't actually need a healer at all. Get a striker companion they will be doing most of your DPS. Between Shielding Strike and Templar's wrath, you can take on multiple groups of mobs and bosses too. Third hit with Shielding Strike and you are suddenly taking ZERO damage. Watch the 0's fly and your health bar not move an inch. Then fill it back up with Templar's Wrath. Rinse and Repeat.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    twwhopper wrote: »
    doesn't seem we have any interrupts maybe its just because I am only 25. Mob casting and nothing seems to work.
    interupts are definatly something we have a lack of, ~60 you are able to pick up "Relentless Avenger" which with clever use can be used kindof as an interupt. If you are able to you can also opt for the "Vicious Dire Wolf" wich is part of the "guardian of neverwinter" pack, which also contains a 110% mount and are both account wide unlock for all characters. This pet has a Active bonus of "5% chance to interupt your target", 5% might not seem much but it is allot more then you had before.
    leafus wrote: »
    You don't need a healer companion as protection. You don't actually need a healer at all. Get a striker companion they will be doing most of your DPS. Between Shielding Strike and Templar's wrath, you can take on multiple groups of mobs and bosses too. Third hit with Shielding Strike and you are suddenly taking ZERO damage. Watch the 0's fly and your health bar not move an inch. Then fill it back up with Templar's Wrath. Rinse and Repeat.
    i personaly prefer the controler as the strikers tend to stand in the bad stuff in melee. And to your comment about aoe pulling, this is something i forgot to mention. Our single target dps is our weakness and we need to work around it, this can be easily solved by pulling multiple packs and just aoe 3~5+ packs down. Ofcourse make sure you are able to hand the bigger pulls before you try them.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Have you updated yet ?
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    drakeos99 wrote: »
    Have you updated yet ?
    only got to 69 so far, nothing changed yet. The dps is defo starting to get noticably lower but with some aoe pulling more then managable.

Ill post back later when i get to 70 and some dungeons under my belt.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Thank you moobenw1 :) if everything goes well then would be nice survival build :P
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Did you have a go at WoD , IWD ?

did do a bit of IWD earlier today, tanking was fine but ofc my dmg was low on the heroic encounters. With the help of some DPS the encounters did go breeze.

WoD i havent gotten into yet, just got to 70 20min ago and will finish up the air place first for the artifact.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Sweet cant wait and idm about low dps (im waiting for proper tank spec so i can play properly)
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    39f0ba74b24581887f729b9d7c751bb1.png

Sort of went down your path lol kinda like it more heath and more survival wondering whats good encounters for tanking and also for PvP ?
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    drakeos99 wrote: »
    Sort of went down your path lol kinda like it more heath and more survival wondering whats good encounters for tanking and also for PvP ?
    H7d1pp5.png

quick update. Ive been 70 for a good while now. Dungeons are a pain with pugs but with an organised team rather easy. Been farming them whenever the lag allowed me, just need boots to finish up the set and 2levels in my artifact for epic. Ive been slacking on my weapon/shield and they are only 16/15 respectivly.

Still going with the same stat prio i posted earlier: health>defense>deflection. for enchants i use radiant in offense/defense slots and Dark in util slots. Artifacts are pala/guardian/warlock and waters of Elah'zad.

Encounters i alway have templars wrath on, most the time circle of power aswell. The third slot i either use Bane(20~30% more dmg for the grp) or Vow of enmity(no more worrying about losing agro on bosses. Classfeatures radiance and courage, or incase its needed protection.
  • Options
    animalustanimalust Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 573 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2015
    i actually like to rock the Recharge speed class feature
  • Options
    eugeecoeugeeco Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    twwhopper wrote: »

Our very first encounter power disorients what it hits. I interrupt casting all the time with it. I actually use it over Sacred Weapon currently. With a full charge it does a LOT of damage and disorients everything (it's a big burst) for 4 seconds. But you can also just tap it for a quick interrupt.