test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is anyone having just minor or no issues with lag and freezing?

theungodlytheungodly Member Posts: 131 Arc User
edited April 2015 in Player Feedback (Xbox One)
There's a lot of threads and posts about the lag and the freezing, but i'm wondering if there's anyone who actually have a smooth experience with this game or if it's just as bad for everyone?

I have a fiber 100/10 connection and i'm connected with a wire, so i don't have a crappy connection.
Maybe two times out of 10 i have a decent experience when fighting a dragon and the framerate might be something like 15 fps. The other eight times it's anything from bad to just unplayable. I'm talking about 3-7 fps.
HR - "The Ungodly"
DC - "The Unholy"
Guild: Ruthless
Post edited by theungodly on

Comments

• Options
    pentnoirpentnoir Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I can usually minimize graphics lag by clearing the cache, but the lag will still be there. The internet lag is not as forgiving. I can do nothing about it. I live in a rural area with adsl, so it's not great to begin with, but the problem is usually with the neverwinter servers or path as I can hop over to netflix and watch movies just fine.
  • Options
    planting42planting42 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Playing lvl40 dungeons is ridiculous. The engine can't seem to show the effects on-screen. Forcing us to clear cache every time we experience this is poor coding. This needs fixed.
  • Options
    jowens8jowens8 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Up to yesterday (and today) the experience has been great. One dungeon (cant remember the name) where you fight a bunch of abberants and an Aboleth at the end was horrible lag, to much graphics or something. Besides that dungeon and the past 2 days of Server Not Responding during game play and freezing, my experience has been 100% positive. It has been smooth for about 2 weeks. I think it has to do right now with the event going on that is causing issues. Last even (a few days ago?) was something to do with Orcs that they removed. I was having a lot of connections/lag issues then. I think that 3 day event content is causing problems.
  • Options
    thezer0fluxthezer0flux Member Posts: 412 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I don't really have any issues with lag. I mean, there have been a few stutters and the occasional disconnect when changing zones, but nothing like what I read in the lag complaint threads. I've been able to connect at will whenever I want (other than maintenance windows, natch) and play any area without much, if any, noticeable lag or slow down. Also, I've never cleared the cache either. The most I've done is quit the game and restart to stop the issue of disconnecting while zoning.
  • Options
    pufpuffpasspufpuffpass Member Posts: 88
    edited April 2015
    No problems here with lag. Well I did have some 2 days ago, but it seemed like everyone was. Couldn't even click a new quest from a NPC.

Whenever I'm done for the night, I turn off my Xbox like I was going to clear the cache. When I wake up I plug it back in. Also I have two xboxs running on my connection whenver I play. So if you have lag. Clear the cache.
  • Options
    googootsgoogoots Member Posts: 147 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Never have lag problems but boy oh boy does the frame rate plummet often. Also get a lot of freezing for a few seconds before it goes back normal. I don't use the instant on setting on the xbox, I want it to shut down completely, as with my PS4, so I'm not wasting energy. Standby modes should be banned.
  • Options
    finaldeath1689finaldeath1689 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    googoots wrote: »
    Never have lag problems but boy oh boy does the frame rate plummet often. Also get a lot of freezing for a few seconds before it goes back normal. I don't use the instant on setting on the xbox, I want it to shut down completely, as with my PS4, so I'm not wasting energy. Standby modes should be banned.

So should coffee makers and microwaves and other electronics that constantly draw energy by that logic. Heck, ban refrigerators cause they constantly drain energy or electric water heaters or throw your power hungry cell phone in the trash. If you are so hell bent about a couple bucks a year energy waste take it up with the power companies and government that refuse to get with the times and continue to use old hardware resulting in terrible power generation efficiency and more than half of all power generated being wasted due to extremely old and outdated energy transportation methods.
  • Options
    dr6toesdr6toes Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I have no issues until I hit level 45 then the game slowly spirals into unplayability, I just hit 49 with my tr, and I can barely take five steps before "server not responding" then I wind up back I the same place I was at, repeat about 15 times then the server boots me for inactivity. Guess I'll go start something else.
  • Options
    thecameljokeythecameljokey Member Posts: 39
    edited April 2015
    I dont often have lag but the game seems to freeze 100% at certain coords in some zones the first time I go there... it freezes up for a good minute or so... it is so often now that I now when it's going to happen.
  • Options
    zaknafyenzaknafyen Member Posts: 200 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    A week ago, April 10th through April 14th, something about the Neverwinter servers was causing my internet connection to drop. It's all fine now. Now, I only experience frame rate lag in Icespire Peaks (whole zone) and at the Blue Dragon in Rothe Valley (I've resulted to solely using Cloud of Steel because the frame rate lag makes getting out of red circles nearly impossible).

Other than that, I only experience screen locks every so often, though I got a few really annoying full game freezes that required a game quit and even a full system hard-boot.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Its interesting to see that some people don't have any major issues, when so many others do. I just wonder why.
    My major issues looks like graphics lag. Just like i'm playing a new game on a outdated PC. Like the hardware can't handle everything on screen when 15-20 people are fighting a dragon. The frame rate drops to 4-5 fps most of the times. But could it be graphics lag? That doesn't make sense if some people are having next to no issues.
    HR - "The Ungodly"
    DC - "The Unholy"
  • Options
    thezer0fluxthezer0flux Member Posts: 412 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    theungodly wrote: »
    But could it be graphics lag? That doesn't make sense if some people are having next to no issues.
    It's perplexing, isn't it? It makes even less sense when you consider everyone on console is running the same hardware/software spec. There are infinite hardware/software combinations on the PC side that could cause these issues, but that's not the case on XB1.
  • Options
    zaknafyenzaknafyen Member Posts: 200 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    But could it be graphics lag? That doesn't make sense if some people are having next to no issues.

It's server lag. There's a huge memory leak somewhere that's causing this, primarily in zones with one or all of the following:

- Large open areas where objects/landscapes far off in the distance are clearly visible (ie Roth Valley, Blue Dragon area)
    - Weather effects, such as Icespire Peaks
    - Large/Dense spell/aura effects (White/Blue Dragon)

With that said, I didn't start experiencing this until those two zones/areas and, it wasn't until then that my game would freeze to the extend that it would require a full system hard-boot.

Additionally, if it's not the server, it's entirely possible the game hasn't been fully optimized for the XB1 system specs. Having an option to adjust UI and/or decreasing spell and weather effects would greatly help alleviate this.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    As said, it's perplexing indeed.
    If some people are having a smooth ride, it can't be the optimization. But to me it sure feels like my XBOX can't handle the game.
    The frames really starts to drop when it's more and more going on on the screen, no matter where i am - dragons, dungeons and skirmishes. 1-10 people against a dragon works okay, but 10 and more people against a dragon or 5 people against a cr@p ton of foes, it's a slideshow.
    zaknafyen wrote: »
    Having an option to adjust UI and/or decreasing spell and weather effects would greatly help alleviate this.

Maybe it would, but wouldn't that be a tragic route for a console game? The option to adjust graphics is a thing for PC where the hardware isn't static. If that would be an option i honestly think that it shouldn't had been released at all. Then the XBOX simply can't run it.
    HR - "The Ungodly"
    DC - "The Unholy"
  • Options
    iowastatecycloneiowastatecyclone Member Posts: 18
    edited April 2015
    As said, it's perplexing indeed.
    If some people are having a smooth ride, it can't be the optimization. But to me it sure feels like my XBOX can't handle the game.
    The frames really starts to drop when it's more and more going on on the screen, no matter where i am - dragons, dungeons and skirmishes. 1-10 people against a dragon works okay, but 10 and more people against a dragon or 5 people against a cr@p ton of foes, it's a slideshow.

Maybe it would, but wouldn't that be a tragic route for a console game? The option to adjust graphics is a thing for PC where the hardware isn't static. If that would be an option i honestly think that it shouldn't had been released at all. Then the XBOX simply can't run it.

Given the x1 specs compared to my computer, there's no way it's the x1 as it plays fine on my outdated computer. My guess is it's bad / rushed programming on the port. Hopefully they are working on optimizing the engine and it will become better with each patch. I personally think this game was just rushed from dev to production with little QA / optimization done in the middle.
  • Options
    nervusbreakd0wnnervusbreakd0wn Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    i was doing the pirate king and it was so bad that it booted me off the game , came back and now it was running better. This is a problem.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I guess i have to avoid dungeons, dragons and skirmishes for now on, until this hopefully gets attention and a fix.
    I just ran Caverns of Karrundax and it was 4-5 fps all through. The lag is crushing my patience with this game.
    And again; i have a 100/10 wired connection. I've checked ping against many different servers around the world and there are no issues. I have never experienced a game run this bad, off or online.
    HR - "The Ungodly"
    DC - "The Unholy"
  • Options
    nervusbreakd0wnnervusbreakd0wn Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    OK NOW I see and feel the difference today, I dont know what you guys did but i can feel it, its not there yet but you guys need to get this down packed because ESO coming with the beta and if their servers run smooth this might not look to good on your end.

But I have faith in your development and I think you will pull it off and show everyone how things are done!