test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is High Vizier Finally Marginalized?

karamekoskaramekos Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 47 Arc User
edited April 2015 in The Library
For the longest time (through mod5), my CW ran PVE with High Vizier. I'm interpreting the new stat curves, as well as the need for more HP, as the catalyst to move into the gear released with mod6. While my High Vizier set served me well, the value seems marginalized relative to the new gear in mod6, at least in PVE. Has everyone else left their High Vizier gear behind?
Post edited by karamekos on

Comments

• Options
    ph33rm3ph33rm3 Member Posts: 549 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    karamekos wrote: »
    For the longest time (through mod5), my CW ran PVE with High Vizier. I'm interpreting the new stat curves, as well as the need for more HP, as the catalyst to move into the gear released with mod6. While my High Vizier set served me well, the value seems marginalized relative to the new gear in mod6, at least in PVE. Has everyone else left their High Vizier gear behind?

High Vizier?? Isn't that a garbage loot drop from Tiamat? :p
  • Options
    angrymanagementangrymanagement Member Posts: 487 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    HV gear is dead, at least for now.
    It may have a use later after groups get fully decked out in BIS slot all around, but for now it is toast.
  • Options
    helpimblindinrlhelpimblindinrl Member Posts: 972 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Its dead as the dodo because you need the hp from the new gear in mod 6. Even if you could make up the other stats with enchants the lack of hp on hv means it straight up isn't dungeon viable.
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The old Epic gear is intentionally being marginalized (and a good thing, too) in order to intentionally get rid of the set bonuses. It's screwed-up that people actually get ejected from parties all because they aren't wearing the "right gear" for starters.

Most (if not all) the new gear doesn't have set bonuses and a good thing, too. Now people can mix-n-match the gear *they* like that suits *them* best and shouldn't be penalized for it. I am so tired of hearing about High Vizier and Holy Prophet and so on and so forth. Sure I have those sets on one of my wizards, but I use different sets on my other wizards - and they get looked down upon because of it - even though I'm the same player, playing the same way.

So yes: I am hopeful High Vizier and all the others are not only marginalized but die a quick death. It is my understanding you cannot even farm for them or get them through loot drops of chests, etc., now - only whatever you can find in AH (Per Dev Panderus comment a while ago).

Good riddance High Vizier and all the other snoot-meister favorites. (And I'm not saying everyone who likes them is a snoot-keister - but they know who they are).
  • Options
    joocycuzzzzzzjoocycuzzzzzz Member Posts: 577 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I salvaged mine as soon as I hit 70.

Gives you decent Raw AD.
    Beta player

One of the many Control Wizards that misses Shard Of The Endless Avalanche. RIP Shard (Beta-Mod3)
  • Options
    helpimblindinrlhelpimblindinrl Member Posts: 972 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I didn't. Nostalgia and so on. Probably will in a month or two when I'm real short on inventory space
  • Options
    joocycuzzzzzzjoocycuzzzzzz Member Posts: 577 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I didn't. Nostalgia and so on. Probably will in a month or two when I'm real short on inventory space

You can see your nostalgia in your collections window, it's still there.

This **** just clogs up my inventory now so I got rid of it.
    Beta player

One of the many Control Wizards that misses Shard Of The Endless Avalanche. RIP Shard (Beta-Mod3)
  • Options
    beatannierbeatannier Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 692 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    HV Cult is officlaly dead :)
    Two modules too late, but finally.

Now; you need to create the new fake god.
  • Options
    abaddon523abaddon523 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I still have my High Vizier set. I don't use it normally. However there are situations where it is still beastly.

I do dragon runs in WoD with it on. I just sit back out of range of the dragon and cast control powers to keep three stacks up. That gives everyone fighting the dragon +30% damage and I never draw aggro so I don't need the HP other sets provide. In that situation it is well worth having.

Tiamat will be another situation where everyone will greatly benefit from one guy just hanging back and keeping the HV debuff up. That is, if Tiamat were at all possible in its current incarnation.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    aulduronaulduron Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,351 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Still wearing mine. Haven't found anything better yet, and I'm not likely to find it before mod 7. Of course, I can't do dungeons though.
  • Options
    beatannierbeatannier Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 692 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    abaddon523 wrote: »
    That gives everyone fighting the dragon +30% damage

Repeating the same lie thousand times will not make it a true.
    You left with the dead god. But this one will not ressurect itself.

Corpse stinks.
    Don`t smell it.
    Leave it now.
    Don`t necro.
  • Options
    lewel555lewel555 Member Posts: 616 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    What do you wear instead? The level 70 gear comes, well, at level 70.
  • Options
    ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Had to ditch mine reaching the Fiery Pit. I was starving for more crit.
  • Options
    ph33rm3ph33rm3 Member Posts: 549 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I still have my High Vizier set. I don't use it normally. However there are situations where it is still beastly.

I do dragon runs in WoD with it on. I just sit back out of range of the dragon and cast control powers to keep three stacks up. That gives everyone fighting the dragon +30% damage and I never draw aggro so I don't need the HP other sets provide. In that situation it is well worth having.

Tiamat will be another situation where everyone will greatly benefit from one guy just hanging back and keeping the HV debuff up. That is, if Tiamat were at all possible in its current incarnation.

HAHA. That's not how it works. It's 3 stacks of 450. (doesn't stacks with other CW's) 3x450 is 1350. When 400 points = 1%, you are looking at a total buff/debuff of less than 3.5%.

Now you know why you never draw aggro. The Dragons don't even notice your insignificant attacks. If you are going to be that useless, you might as well just go stand at the fire.
  • Options
    kieranmtornkieranmtorn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 382 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    ph33rm3 wrote: »
    HAHA. That's not how it works. It's 3 stacks of 450. (doesn't stacks with other CW's) 3x450 is 1350. When 400 points = 1%, you are looking at a total buff/debuff of less than 3.5%.

Now you know why you never draw aggro. The Dragons don't even notice your insignificant attacks. If you are going to be that useless, you might as well just go stand at the fire.

Actually it works just like it used alway has. Go run a Dread Ring lair in HV in mod6, look at the ACT parse, and you'll see the 30%. Because monsters don't have defense stat, only a defense resistance (and each 450 approximately equal to 10% of the monsters DR). I've done all the DR lairs in mod6 in HV. Works just like normal, just have to not miss a dodge since your hit points aren't enough.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    ^^ This. The people who claim it doesn't add a 30% damage boost either haven't tested, or failed at math, or didn't know what they were looking at.
    Some people want to throw it into the damage equation, but you don't need to. Run a parse with and without HV stacks. Seperate out your crits/noncrits themselves seperated by CA/non CA, and do some basic math. Non crit/non CA come out at 30% more damage, and crits usually come out a bit above that.

When you look at effectiveness in ACT, it is not telling you to add something to the damage equation, it is telling you that the attack did a straight up % damage increase from its base overall damage.

PS. You can collect parses in ACT, go to an individual ability output damage, Copy that as CSV, paste it into notepad, import into Excel or Open Office (free spreadsheet), sort by CA/non CA, seperate your data, sort by Crit, get the average damage for each type of damage (non crit non CA, non crit CA, crit non CA, crit CA), then run your test again with stacks, get the same averages again, and compare them.
    If you wan't your results to be accurate, drop all proc pets/boons/feats prior to capturing parses. Also drop any varying class abilities such as CP unless you are explicitly tracking your stacks. Also stacks of arcane can throw off your arcane parses.

But back on target, HV is toast...at least for now.
  • Options
    onegaki101onegaki101 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 327 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I would suggest CWs that have HV to keep them if they can. Need all the debuffs that you can get to increase the overall dps of the group due to large hp pools for bosses now.

I still use my HV set and haven't had much trouble with T1s with it.
  • Options
    c1k4ml3kc3c1k4ml3kc3 Member Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Given how the new gear doesn't do any justice to the players, sticking to the HV seems equally reasonable imho.

In fact, I've seen some of the folks wearing it. At first I though that they're out of the mind, but then I saw that the content's terrible and with a proper HV and adequate dodging (which will happen no matter how you look at it) there's some chance to melt mobs a bit faster.

Key point - do not pull aggro. One-hit = kill. Two if you're lucky.

With the new gear you get like, what? Three hits at most?

Play with the HV out of the protest towards the new module. That's what I'd do since the new gear is useless despite giving so much HP.
    True Neutral
    Left the Game due to heavy Damage Control & Missing Spanish Language
  • Options
    abaddon523abaddon523 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Testing out how the High Vizier set works is so trivially easy that by this point anyone who still refutes it can be safely classified as willfully ignorant. You don't even need to be running ACT to notice it.

Copy a character over to the test server.
    Do a full respec.
    Assign power points, but no feat points.
    Equip the High Vizier set and go attack any enemy anywhere with magic missile or any other spell.
    Look at the damage.
    Then use Steal Time on them (which places 3 High Vizier stacks on the enemy) followed by magic missile.

Notice that the Magic Missile after Steal Time does ~30% more damage than the one before it.

Done.

It's as easy as game testing gets. Anyone disputing these results has not done this basic, fast, easy, simple test.

whd078.jpg

There you have it. Found a random Yeti, hit him with a magic missile for 651 base damage which was reduced to 581 damage (89% effectiveness) because of the Yeti's damage resistance (this character didn't have enough Armor Penetration to negate it all). Then I cast Steal Time. Then another Magic Missile. The second Magic Missile does 694 base damage but it does 806 actual damage (116% effectiveness). 116%/89% = 130%. That is a 30% increase in damage thanks to the High Vizier Debuff.

There you go. So easy a caveman can do it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    dajoulzdajoulz Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    c1k4ml3kc3 wrote: »
    Given how the new gear doesn't do any justice to the players, sticking to the HV seems equally reasonable imho.

In fact, I've seen some of the folks wearing it. At first I though that they're out of the mind, but then I saw that the content's terrible and with a proper HV and adequate dodging (which will happen no matter how you look at it) there's some chance to melt mobs a bit faster.

Key point - do not pull aggro. One-hit = kill. Two if you're lucky.

With the new gear you get like, what? Three hits at most?

Play with the HV out of the protest towards the new module. That's what I'd do since the new gear is useless despite giving so much HP.

so the Eternal gear from Tyranny is not worth getting?
    looked like something interesting enough to farm a little easier...i haven't really checked or read about it!
    anyone has actual feedback about that?
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I picked up the Eternal gear around level 66 or 67, and wore it until i picked up a purple set from dungeon chests.
    There is over 26k health on that set and of course more stats all around.
    The coin gear is very nice & you can load up on crit/health, but it will take a while to farm a full set.

I should add, I already had all the currency for it. If I hadn't then I wouldn't have bothered with it.
  • Options
    c1k4ml3kc3c1k4ml3kc3 Member Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    dajoulz wrote: »
    so the Eternal gear from Tyranny is not worth getting?
    looked like something interesting enough to farm a little easier...i haven't really checked or read about it!
    anyone has actual feedback about that?

For fun dude, for fun only. Playing HV now seriously is beyond suicidal. Unless you really have the knowledge of how to never, ever get aggro. But yes, chasing new gear as if it's the end of days is wrong imho since it doesn't bring much to the table.

Chasing new artifact sets, on the contrary, brings much more to the table.
    True Neutral
    Left the Game due to heavy Damage Control & Missing Spanish Language
  • Options
    dajoulzdajoulz Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    c1k4ml3kc3 wrote: »
    For fun dude, for fun only. Playing HV now seriously is beyond suicidal. Unless you really have the knowledge of how to never, ever get aggro. But yes, chasing new gear as if it's the end of days is wrong imho since it doesn't bring much to the table.

Chasing new artifact sets, on the contrary, brings much more to the table.

considering everyone and their mothers are saying HP is the stat to focus on now, i was thinking Eternal gear would be better than any pre-mod 6 purple gear/set!
    i could only farm 2 out of the 4 pieces (thx for intense farming pre-mod 6!) and the HP boost is indeed enjoyable!

now what to actually aim for in an end game state of mind?
    is there a list of actual new mod 6 gear somewhere?
  • Options
    grottolgrottol Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Testing out how the High Vizier set works is so trivially easy that by this point anyone who still refutes it can be safely classified as willfully ignorant. You don't even need to be running ACT to notice it.

Copy a character over to the test server.
    Do a full respec.
    Assign power points, but no feat points.
    Equip the High Vizier set and go attack any enemy anywhere with magic missile or any other spell.
    Look at the damage.
    Then use Steal Time on them (which places 3 High Vizier stacks on the enemy) followed by magic missile.

Notice that the Magic Missile after Steal Time does ~30% more damage than the one before it.

Done.

It's as easy as game testing gets. Anyone disputing these results has not done this basic, fast, easy, simple test.

whd078.jpg

There you have it. Found a random Yeti, hit him with a magic missile for 651 base damage which was reduced to 581 damage (89% effectiveness) because of the Yeti's damage resistance (this character didn't have enough Armor Penetration to negate it all). Then I cast Steal Time. Then another Magic Missile. The second Magic Missile does 694 base damage but it does 806 actual damage (116% effectiveness). 116%/89% = 130%. That is a 30% increase in damage thanks to the High Vizier Debuff.

There you go. So easy a caveman can do it.

^^
    Underrated post.
    "Gravity doesn't work!" Says the imbecile whilst they do not float from this rock to space.
  • Options
    commanderdata001commanderdata001 Member Posts: 307 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2015
    It is. But you shouldn't salvage it... ;)