test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Easy Temp Fix For Auction House Search

jarlax1jarlax1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 68
edited April 2015 in Player Feedback (Xbox One)
I can understand how hard it may be to fix the root of the problem as I have a degree in programming with the auction house search tool. I would like to suggest one small fix that would take a person 10 seconds after they actually found the line of code.

Can we change the SQL from SELECT <field> FROM <table> WHERE <field> = <'%variable for what the user types in%'>

To only having the wildcard or % AFTER what the person types in.

To this:

SELECT <field> FROM <table> WHERE <field> = <'variable for what the user types in%'>

This way when I search for things like "Mark of Power" I wont get every listing for "Lesser Mark Of Power"

Thanks
Post edited by jarlax1 on

Comments

• eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Um, no thanks. I like being able to search for words within the name not ONLY beginning with search field.
  • cummins12vcummins12v Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    This. You CANT buy things like Mark of Power on the AH with how it is designed. It only pulls the lesser ones. ALL 400 happen to be lessers AND only about 2 pages or ( less than 20 items ) will even have a buyout option. The problems with AH I believe are HIGHLY intentionally ( same thing happened on PC release from what I found via google ). Its simply a way to maximize micro-transactions. We will see a fix when and ONLY when they feel they have made enough money via micro-transactions. Until then, they wont be touching it. Guaranteed.
  • gawmonstergawmonster Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Or how about adding a dropdown ... Begins with/contains/etc that programmatically affects the query. Sure, it's just a bandage, but it is a bandage that could get us through the slump until a complete revamp is slated.
  • thezer0fluxthezer0flux Member Posts: 412 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    A really quick fix would be to add paging (on the DB side) to the searches. Right now they only pull the top 400 items. Instead, after we reach the end of the top 400, pull the next 400, and so on. You're still only dealing with 400 records at a time, but at least we could keep paging until we found what we're looking for.

Of course, both the OPs suggestion and my result set paging suggestion seem harder to implement than the class/level/quality filter options, which are all probably columns in the table/view and don't even require wildcards. The current state of the AH list makes it quite difficult to use. I bet there are lots of potential customers that just don't use it because you have to know exactly what you're looking for to find anything. And don't even get me started on the default sort and lack of sort options. Why do they list the outrageous 500k AD starting bids for an item worth about 1k at the top of the list -- BEFORE all the actual bids? Why can't I see only items with buyout prices?

Does this stuff work on PC, or is it broken over there too?
  • munkey81munkey81 Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Something certainly needs to be changed.

I haven't been able to find one single thing I'm looking for on the AH in 60 lvls.

As well as no one puts a **** buy out price on it. I literally NEVER buy anything, unless it has a buy out price.

I wish they would take the auction part out honestly, its just irritating. Who the hell wants to wait?
  • thezer0fluxthezer0flux Member Posts: 412 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I just wish people would stop undercutting each other in a race to the bottom. So many lucrative items have plummeted in value because people don't want to wait a day or so to get their diamonds. So instead of listing where everyone else is listing (possibly even driving prices up for high demand like a real market), they post just lower than the current low price in the hopes of selling first. Then someone else does it, followed by another... until an item that was consistently, if slowly, going for 9.5k falls all the way down to less than 2k overnight. Combined with the 400 record limit and horrible sorting, a lot of listings don't even make the list if you search for them by name. I think they really need to wave the listing fees until they fix the AH lists/searches.
  • kickinchicken80kickinchicken80 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Need to trade, can't find what your looking for?

Try the fansite http://neverwintertradeforum.com/index.php

Still in early days, but we aim to make things easier to find and build a nice community around the trades

Thanks
    Neverwinters Fan site trading forum http://neverwintertradeforum.com/index.php
  • theungodlytheungodly Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Yeah, if they wont bother to fix the totally broken search engine, at least they could expand the 400 max results. Some things you just cant buy or sell just because the search cant find it amongst everything else.
    We're also missing out on a great source of knowledge of what we can get. If the search engine was functioning i could see what was out there and what equipment to strive for by entering my class, my lvl, and so on.
    HR - "The Ungodly"
    DC - "The Unholy"
    Guild: Ruthless