test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is there an explanation of gear stats somewhere?

daradaldaradal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited April 2015 in PvE Discussion
What Im looking for is some kind of explanation fo really what each stat does, ie

What does Defense do, Crit, Power, Armor Pen etc etc. On the surface they seem to be obvious but I'm wondering if there are other things they help. Some aren't though Deflection??? Also what does each stat actually boost or cause. Such as

Power, increases damage
defense , decreases damage taken?

Things like that....just something that spells stuff out for those of us that may have not played D&D before.....
Post edited by daradal on

Comments

• elyrielleelyrielle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The tooltips I thought explain them pretty clearly. Defense is damage reduction, armor pen reduces the damage reduction of the enemy, etc.
  • daradaldaradal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I guess I never saw the tooltips, Ill have to look at them.....
  • zheavyzheavy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Seeing as I can't make a new thread for some unknown reason tho this account is pretty old...i'll just post here seeing my question is relevant.

Is there any thread or any place out there that has an in-depth explanation of each character and gear stat explanation? Some of the tooltips are vague..some stats have explanations that use completely different terms then other games so not all of it is fully clear. But that is not my only question, i'm trying to find some in-depth mechanics of each stat as well if possible, maybe if some of them have diminishing returns, if they have a specific formula to calculate reduction off defense for example...etc...
    edited May 2013
    bumping for my question ><
  • lughlavadalughlavada Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    zheavy wrote: »
    bumping for my question ><

POWER = Damage of attacks, healing. I'm pretty sure the number you see in the tooltip is added to your weapon's BASE DAMAGE, therefore it ups the damage of all attacks and all healing.

CRIT = Adds to your chance to crit. Self-explanatory.

RECOVERY = Lowers the cooldowns on your ENCOUNTER POWERS, and increases the rate at which your AP Meter fills.

AC = For every point above 10, adds .5% Damage Resistance

DEFENSE = Also adds to damage resistance, much less per point than AC

DEFLECTION = Your chance of partially nullifying an attack's damage by reflecting it. The % of damage it nullifies upon activating is displayed a bit lower on the char sheet, I forget what it's called.

LIFE STEAL = self-explanatory.

ARMOR PENETRATION = The amount of damage resistance you will bypass. 1% armor penetration bypasses 1% of damage resistance. If a mob has 20% resistance and you have 15% penetration, his effective damage resistance is 5%.

REGENERATION: Raises the rate at which you heal naturally (Note that if your Regeneration is 0, you will not have a base natural heal rate. You MUST have more than 0 points in regeneration to heal naturally over time -- but the amount you heal is laughably low unless you seriously gear yourself balls to the wall for this stat).

MOVEMENT: Boosts your movement rate by an incredibly small amount. I have around 500 movement slotted into my utility slots and it only increases my move rate by 2.6%. Again, pretty much worthless unless you get a ton (IMO -- and this is only an opnion -- nothing lower than 10% or 20% movement rate increase will feel noticeable).

It doesn't matter which character you play, all these stats do the same thing for all 5 classes.

Attribute points are different class to class. Hover over your attributes and see the tooltips to see how your character's above combat stats are affected by your various ability scores.

Hope that helps!
  • djleberdjleber Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lughlavada wrote: »
    POWER = Damage of attacks, healing. I'm pretty sure the number you see in the tooltip is added to your weapon's BASE DAMAGE, therefore it ups the damage of all attacks and all healing.

CRIT = Adds to your chance to crit. Self-explanatory.

RECOVERY = Lowers the cooldowns on your ENCOUNTER POWERS, and increases the rate at which your AP Meter fills.

AC = For every point above 10, adds .5% Damage Resistance

DEFENSE = Also adds to damage resistance, much less per point than AC

DEFLECTION = Your chance of partially nullifying an attack's damage by reflecting it. The % of damage it nullifies upon activating is displayed a bit lower on the char sheet, I forget what it's called.

LIFE STEAL = self-explanatory.

ARMOR PENETRATION = The amount of damage resistance you will bypass. 1% armor penetration bypasses 1% of damage resistance. If a mob has 20% resistance and you have 15% penetration, his effective damage resistance is 5%.

REGENERATION: Raises the rate at which you heal naturally (Note that if your Regeneration is 0, you will not have a base natural heal rate. You MUST have more than 0 points in regeneration to heal naturally over time -- but the amount you heal is laughably low unless you seriously gear yourself balls to the wall for this stat).

MOVEMENT: Boosts your movement rate by an incredibly small amount. I have around 500 movement slotted into my utility slots and it only increases my move rate by 2.6%. Again, pretty much worthless unless you get a ton (IMO -- and this is only an opnion -- nothing lower than 10% or 20% movement rate increase will feel noticeable).

It doesn't matter which character you play, all these stats do the same thing for all 5 classes.

Attribute points are different class to class. Hover over your attributes and see the tooltips to see how your character's above combat stats are affected by your various ability scores.

Hope that helps!

Thats not what hes asking, he wants to know how to work out each stat so he can theorycraft - what you have said is not indepth in any way and just relates directly to tooltops
  • velizarevelizare Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    next logical question is the type of increasement of the stats. is it linear, or diminishing returns and in this case, where is the point of the dimishing return.
  • thelgowthelgow Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 51
    edited May 2013
    daradal wrote: »
    What Im looking for is some kind of explanation fo really what each stat does, ie

What does Defense do, Crit, Power, Armor Pen etc etc. On the surface they seem to be obvious but I'm wondering if there are other things they help. Some aren't though Deflection??? Also what does each stat actually boost or cause. Such as

Power, increases damage
    defense , decreases damage taken?

Things like that....just something that spells stuff out for those of us that may have not played D&D before.....
    djleber wrote: »
    Thats not what hes asking, he wants to know how to work out each stat so he can theorycraft - what you have said is not indepth in any way and just relates directly to tooltops
    Jeez, that's EXACTLY what he asked. You even quoted it.
    "gear stats" and "What does Defense do, Crit, Power, Armor Pen etc etc"

And OP, having played D&D for over 20 years, 1st edition, even I don't know what half of these gear stats are since they don't exist in D&D. That's just knowledge from other video game RPGs.
    edited May 2013
    Thanks lughlavada for the post, it did actually give a slightly better view of the game. But my current question is the same as velizare
    next logical question is the type of increasement of the stats. is it linear, or diminishing returns and in this case, where is the point of the dimishing return.
    thelgow wrote: »
    Jeez, that's EXACTLY what he asked. You even quoted it.
    "gear stats" and "What does Defense do, Crit, Power, Armor Pen etc etc"

He was referring to me, please read...
  • misterfungimisterfungi Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Thank you!
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Before the mods put this thread to bed, as they most definately will misterfungi...Jokes about Vilithrax are getting rather old :p Think its time for some valindra/other undead creature jokes, because drunk Vilithrax won't cut it any longer...However, even with the lathander set, this thread is a bit too old for a res and this necro will be put to rest....Posts in here from 2013 and all :p
  • micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Before the mods put this thread to bed, as it will misterfungi...Jokes about Vilithrax are getting rather old :p Think its time for some valindra/other undead creature jokes, because drunk Vilithrax won't cut it any longer...However, even with the lathander set, this thread is a bit too old for a res and this necro will be put to rest....Posts in here from 2013 and all :p

This is a Wilfred level of necromancy.
    edited April 2015
    micky1p00 wrote: »
    This is a Wilfred level of necromancy.

As it seems the mods have elected not to shut down this necro, it might be fun to come up with some new jokes for them here :p The vilithrax one seems kind of old :D
    edited April 2015
    As it seems the mods have elected not to shut down this necro, it might be fun to come up with some new jokes for them here :p The vilithrax one seems kind of old :D

Well, I did write "This is a Wilfred level of necrophilia."
    So perhaps it's spread.

Also with Valindra demoted to t1 maybe she looks for more undead body guards to buff up her army and regain past glory and that causes the meaningless resurrection of old threads.

You know Val, she can't be satisfied with groping under-geared players. She wants to grab the best and tell them how pitiful they are !
    edited April 2015
    micky1p00 wrote: »
    Well, I did write "This is a Wilfred level of necrophilia."
    So perhaps it's spread.

Also with Valindra demoted to t1 maybe she looks for more undead body guards to buff up her army and regain past glory and that causes the meaningless resurrection of old threads.

You know Val, she can't be satisfied with groping under-geared players. She wants to grab the best and tell them how pitiful they are !

I wouldn't quite use the word necrophilia here Janne...very out of context :p However, this thread should be returning to its phylactery now, its brief rise to power needs be laid to rest :p
    edited April 2015
    I wouldn't quite use the word necrophilia here Janne...very out of context :p However, this thread should be returning to its phylactery now, its brief rise to power needs be laid to rest :p

Yup, that's why I've edited it immediately, probably shouldn't write it now too. I'll probably should be quiet now....