test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

So T2 dungeons are far from being impossible...

diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
edited April 2015 in Player Feedback (PC)
I just tried grey wold den with a team of people I didn't know well, and while it took us a fair bit of planning, it's far from being the hell and pain testers on preview said it was. Yes the bosses require to adapt. It's an entirely new game and support is definitely mandatory. We've used 3 support characters (GF, DC & HR), and we killed the first boss after 7-8 attempts, the second one in two attempts, and downed the first boss up to 60% of its hit points.

Now the team wasn't a random /lfg party or the average guild member but we didn't play together before attempting this one, and decided we would not go further due to the lack of gear. 3 of us had less than 60K hit points, someone didn't have an armour enchantment, gear was a ragtag of SCA login rewards (lol), T1 and some mod 5 gear. Our GF barely met the item level requirement and didn't die every 2s to adds or whatever, because support chars can definitely help preventing the massive amount of incoming damage if they have synergistic spells. It's all about knowing the mechanics, using the right spells and giving the right amount of DR and temp hit points. I got hit by the boss several times, and with support fully up, it was on average a mere 50k dmg - definitely survivable.

Now I will clearly not give tips or any kind of help, because I do want to be one of the first to kill the final boss, and because it's against the tradition of MMOs to give away strategies, build and stuff like that before the instance is on farming mode by your guild/team, but if people who don't know eachother, don't use voice chat, have terrible gear, and have language barrier issues can do it, you can do it too with your guild. :)

Side note : 0 exploits and cheats were used during this attempt. My cleric is faithful and doesn't use the horribly imbalanced 'gift of haste' and the ranger didn't use weird things to increase his damage tremendously.

Edit: cryptic, 2 freaking seals of the protector from the first and two from the second boss, you're kidding me, right?
Post edited by diogene0 on

Comments

• Options
    rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    uLyb1tC.jpg

far from possible for normal people
  • Options
    zacazuzacazu Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,934 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    hmmm... the second team have 2 cws (3 range classes). and the first? just for curiosity. a rogue at least?
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    zacazu wrote: »
    hmmm... the second team have 2 cws. and the first? just for curiosity

1 GF, 1 DC (me), 1 CW, 1 GWF and 1 HR.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    opa, nice. gwf do a good job? survive for all the fight? and damage thing?

because still 3 range classes.
  • Options
    ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    There is no question if they are possible or not. Its also not the "skill required" that is anything. Its HOW you are FORCED to play.

These dungeons you HAVE to have CC because you cannot "tank" them. Ask your GWF if he ever got hit and if he did he was spamming "1" for a respawn...

As mentioned MANY times, noone is saying its not possible. When you CC a group and they cannot attack or you have things like "Fox Shift" allowing your party a free dodge to eat an attack, it matters not if the hit was for 1 million damage or 1 damage.

To put it simply.

Lets say there is 1 mob in open world. He has 300k HP. Drops epics. Hits players for 100k damage. However can be controlled.

Youll see some players able to solo it, others will have zero chance.

Classes like DCs will be able to do it, they can debuff the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> out of a single target, and have immunity frame dodges. Not to mention are unkillable with their uber healz.
    Classes like TR can do it, they ITC->BB->ITC and perma stealth till its dead.
    Classes like CWs will do it, they jsut control it to death and watch the DOTs/SS kill it.
    HRs? Spam dodges, fox shift + roots. Ranged attacks.
    What do all these classes have in common?
    - Range
    - CC
    - Immunity Frame Dodges

What about the other guys?
    GFs - wont be able to since they cant "heal" themselves and dont dish enough damage, they will hide behind block for a short period of time until it runs out OR the 20% damage that comes through eventually kills them.

GWFs - will get nearly 1 shot before they even have a chance to pop unstoppable.

SWs/OPs - dont know enough to comment TBH.

Well what do THESE guys have in common?
    - no range
    - no real CC
    - No immunity frame dodges.

So whats the solution? Post pics about how "its doable" or do we actually look at the REAL issue? BTW, dont know if you thought of this but a "GWF" is supposed to have a "tank path" called the "sentinel" ask your GWF if he can even fathom "tanking" because he will just get 1 shot.... Id imagine the GF "tanking" = him holding KV+Block while the rest of the group CCs+kills everything. Is that really "tanking" or just "buffing the group".
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    for this i asked about gwff. if in fact have one and are important to the party in this fight.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    ayroux wrote: »
    There is no question if they are possible or not. Its also not the "skill required" that is anything. Its HOW you are FORCED to play.

These dungeons you HAVE to have CC because you cannot "tank" them. Ask your GWF if he ever got hit and if he did he was spamming "1" for a respawn...

As mentioned MANY times, noone is saying its not possible. When you CC a group and they cannot attack or you have things like "Fox Shift" allowing your party a free dodge to eat an attack, it matters not if the hit was for 1 million damage or 1 damage.

To put it simply.

Lets say there is 1 mob in open world. He has 300k HP. Drops epics. Hits players for 100k damage. However can be controlled.

Classes like DCs will be able to do it, they can debuff the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> out of a single target, and have immunity frame dodges. Not to mention are unkillable with their uber healz.
    Classes like CWs will do it, they jsut control it to death and watch the DOTs/SS kill it.
    - Range
    - CC
    - Immunity Frame Dodges

GFs - wont be able to since they cant "heal" themselves and dont dish enough damage, they will hide behind block for a short period of time until it runs out OR the 20% damage that comes through eventually kills them.

GWFs - will get nearly 1 shot before they even have a chance to pop unstoppable.

- no range
    - no real CC

So whats the solution? Post pics about how "its doable" or do we actually look at the REAL issue? BTW, dont know if you thought of this but a "GWF" is supposed to have a "tank path" called the "sentinel" ask your GWF if he can even fathom "tanking" because he will just get 1 shot.... Id imagine the GF "tanking" = him holding KV+Block while the rest of the group CCs+kills everything. Is that really "tanking" or just "buffing the group".
    i agree.. to conclude that i used clearly broken mechanics called wai in this forum.
    there are not tankable and i can feel the pain as hr with jokes of dodges, most classes dont even have that
  • Options
    edited April 2015

Look we had a GWF and no he didn't die more than the rest of the team. Gear was on par with the average gear of the team. But support classes with several layers of mitigation buffs can make the incoming damage completely under control. This isn't a race anymore, the more support characters the better. If my squishy cleric with 17% base DR didn't die from the boss hits (with fox cunning down), there's no way a GWF dies. Sure I had to heal him a bit more than the CW or the ranger, but that's the fate of a melee class.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    for gwf is a race. only have damage. About that... is the top? 2 times more damage than cw (support class too?)

is a valid question. if this is a matter about a party job and, the only thing of gwf have, damage, is... bizarre, well. destroyer at least is ok for this mad game (not funny, not solid, not clean; ok).

another guy say: "gwf do more damage than a whole party"; is true?

if yes, well :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    for gwf is a race. only have damage. About that... is the top? 2 times more damage than cw (support class too?)

is a valid question. if this is a matter about a party job and, the only thing of gwf have, damage, is... bizarre, well. destroyer at least is ok for this mad game (not funny, not solid, not clean; ok).

no, cw still tops damage and its not rare to see him best healer too.
    in single target gwf can somewhat compete as sm destro
  • Options
    edited April 2015

Since you keep asking, even if it's off-topic. Yes GWFs are the top damage dealers in the current module. The buff to several at-wills, the new encounter and the 20% weapon damage buff made them top damage again. Clearly above CWs and TRs. They're top damage dealer but somehow still the top 1 QQ class too. There's never enough buffs, according to people who play the class.
  • Options
    fgreyspearfgreyspear Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 472 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2015
    diogene0 wrote: »
    Now the team wasn't a random /lfg party or the average guild member but we didn't play together before attempting this one, and decided we would not go further due to the lack of gear. ...
    I do not understand this part of your comment. Overall it reads as if you succeeded with your test, but here you say that you quit. I am confused. Did you or did you not succeed?
    Stay frosty.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    fgreyspear wrote: »
    I do not understand this part of your comment. Overall it reads as if you succeeded with your test, but here you say that you quit. I am confused. Did you or did you not succeed?

I said we downed the final boss to 60% then we had to quit because the lack of gear was an issue. Not everyone had T1 gear from VT/MC, so that was a major cause of trouble, but still we were able to kill the first two bosses and 40% of the final one, so I'd say it's a good measure of the difficulty. It would have been doable with everyone having T1 gear and 80-100K hitpoints instead of 55-60.

The test was "is it impossible" and the answer is nope, if people with ragtags of gear can do that a team with decent gear (as in "decent", not BiS) can do it.
  • Options
    thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Diogene, although there are a few of us that actually enjoy th is mod and its content who are not finding it impossible, there are also, unfortunately, many players who are lulled into the mod 5 way of thinking and "difficulty" who will complain and whine till module 6 is nerfed back to module 5 :( What I suggest is we make the most of this module while we can before it gets reduced due to the 80% of the playerbase who can't find it in them to adapt to the changes in module 6. Cragmire Crypts is the only dungeon in mod 6 that I will say needs some toning down however I expect that everything will get over nerfed, the way cryptic tends to do things. They like using sledgehammers to kill mice :(
  • Options
    fgreyspearfgreyspear Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 472 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2015
    I said we downed the final boss to 60% then we had to quit because the lack of gear was an issue. Not everyone had T1 gear from VT/MC, so that was a major cause of trouble, but still we were able to kill the first two bosses and 40% of the final one, so I'd say it's a good measure of the difficulty. It would have been doable with everyone having T1 gear and 80-100K hitpoints instead of 55-60.

The test was "is it impossible" and the answer is nope, if people with ragtags of gear can do that a team with decent gear (as in "decent", not BiS) can do it.
    Ok. So you did not actually win but rather won an insight on the current difficulty. I get it now.
    Stay frosty.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Diogene, although there are a few of us that actually enjoy th is mod and its content who are not finding it impossible, there are also, unfortunately, many players who are lulled into the mod 5 way of thinking and "difficulty" who will complain and whine till module 6 is nerfed back to module 5 :( What I suggest is we make the most of this module while we can before it gets reduced due to the 80% of the playerbase who can't find it in them to adapt to the changes in module 6. Cragmire Crypts is the only dungeon in mod 6 that I will say needs some toning down however I expect that everything will get over nerfed, the way cryptic tends to do things. They like using sledgehammers to kill mice :(

GWD's final boss isn't perfect either. The only issue I see is that it has a tad too much health. 10 minutes with our hobo's gear to down it to 60% is a bit excessive. I'd say it needs something like 20% less hitpoints but an increased arpen and crit resistance, to balance it between the have and the have nots. 15 minutes is a good duration for a boss fight. If it's a raid boss meant to be killed by trained players, you may make it a 25 minutes fight, and it better be the acme of the raid, because beyond that limit, there's the exhaustion factor and people will start doing a lot of mistakes.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Since you keep asking, even if it's off-topic. Yes GWFs are the top damage dealers in the current module. The buff to several at-wills, the new encounter and the 20% weapon damage buff made them top damage again. Clearly above CWs and TRs. They're top damage dealer but somehow still the top 1 QQ class too. There's never enough buffs, according to people who play the class.

is the top one about complains, between some reasons

1 - gwf is no longer fun.

2 - lost your secundary function when some classes have 3 or 4.

and the list goes on. the question here is simple: you say dungeons is fine, balance is fine, everthing is fine. fine for who? if a dungeon annulled my secundary function (or primary function of other classes), so is not fine. the format is not fine. that is all.
  • Options
    mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User
    edited April 2015

To put it simply.

- Range
    - CC
    - Immunity Frame Dodges

- no range
    - no real CC

about gf if can survive or not just check his encounters -dailies and feats and you will find how to defend ( + ofcourse the help of the team ). i was the gf in that pt.
    and i would tank better sorry guys i had a wrong setting in my graphics freezing me fixed:)
  • Options
    kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Hey bud, hope all is rocking well with you!

Just wanted to chime in on this...

- no range
    - no real CC
    Just wanted to say that in Mod 6 SWs can most certainly run CC focused rotations without sacrificing too much DPS. While running through Dungeons I tend to do that if our party comp requires it.

And no range? SWs most definitely have range!

Though sometimes I get overzealous and go all old school in your face melee style with Hand of Blight because...

LEEROY JENKINS!!! :cool:
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    rayrdan wrote: »
    no, cw still tops dps
    Not always good sir, not always... ;)
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    i am 100% sure 5 cw cant do the final boss in gray wolf den.they wil mitigate one two hits then? boom down stormcallers are hard cc.
  • Options
    comaetilicocomaetilico Member Posts: 69
    edited April 2015

To put it simply.

- Range
    - CC
    - Immunity Frame Dodges

- no range
    - no real CC

a few thing that should be amended:

1) 90% hr actualy play trapper... that means switching between melee and range... and most of your damage actualy come from melee so you stay melee or at best one dodge (one SHORT dodge) away from melee even when you swap to ranged bar so considering us ranged is really wrong... and a ranged trapper deal half the damage of archer and buff every 15 second at best... also don't talk about immunity frame to hr... yes short is better than none... but don't talk about that with us ;)

2) gf can actualy survive for a limited amount of time even without CC and massive healing (and a large amount of time with healing alone)... HOW? by using the right daily and class feature... steel defense grant 6 second of immunity to damage every time you use a daily... and as tactician GF you build daily really fast... so just be sure to end a fight with a loaded daily to begin the next one and you'r already halfway done... after this based on the kind of mob/boss you either use villain menace (if there are a lot of CC.. and it also give a 20% additional DR) or fighter recovery (if you see your health drop too fast for your healer to keep up...) you use the immunity frame to pull out your aggro encounter and build treat on mob and before it drops you use one of the new DR enahnce encounter (like IW, enforced treat or bull charge) and up your shield waiting for the daily to fill again (and it will appen pretty fast)

so... sorry but is not just the ranged that can PLAy in this new mod dungeons... as far as GWF goes... I have no imput on that.. I don't play one and none of my friends actualy have one so I can't give you a direct feedback... but still I've met a few good one running pug t1 (for t2 I prefer to go with guild but that doesn't make pug t2 impossible... just that I don't like the lottery of pug where you can get idiots or good player only based on luck ^^') they can't face tank mobs but can still survive one or 2 hit that would actualy send me to the maker (and you shouldn't get more than 2 casaual hit unless your tank is dead or sleeping)... and that while dishing the right amount of damage... sure they don't have extremely good buff or large amount of CC like HR or CW but you don't need 3 controller... 2 is already more than enough and actualy one can solve most of the problem if the GF know what to do...