test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Bulwark Build (Paladin)

drakeos99drakeos99 Member Posts: 393 Arc User
edited April 2015 in The Citadel
So what are best feats to grab for building very solid off dps tank that can solo quests/heroics (even grouped)
Drakeos Lightblade - Human - Oathbound Paladin (Protection) (MAIN)
Drakeos Shadowbow - 60 Combat Pathfinder Hunter Ranger (Alt/retired)
Falados - Drow (Mez) Level 60 Trickster Rogue - Offically retired
Drakeos - Drow (Mez) Scourge Warlock/Druid (retired)
Post edited by drakeos99 on

Comments

• Options
    securussecurus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Yeah your not really ever going to be an off dps tank. The paladin was not designed for that, it was designed to tank or heal. You get very very little in the way of dps increasing options even the supposed "DPS" feat tree is about 90% support and not personal dps.

That said you can pretty much solo anything as the class is very very tanky in either healer or tank. The thing is it is going to take you three times as long as anyone else to kill anything. Even a GF in tank spec will do twice the damage you do if you tried to go full dps. The class is not built for personal dps but rather increases the group's dps. It adds a ton to a party because of his buffs can increase the dps of other players by 20% or more, but his personal dps is <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.
  • Options
    kaiserschmarrnkaiserschmarrn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 390
    edited April 2015
    I really hope we get some Avenger paragon path some day which makes a dps build viable. But currently it's either tank&protect or tank&heal.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Yes i would love to see an avenger paragon path ... i do like this class but sometimes stresses me out alot :(
  • Options
    translucentwolftranslucentwolf Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    You wanna solo, consider a Warlock. Paladins are party animals.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    You asked for a spec that can not be played, you want to go for tanking people can give you a main tank spec. What you asked for was an off tank/solo spec which does not exist and is not possible. Your option is to go full tank or full heal, neither will work well at the endgame without a party, its doable because its almost impossible to die if built right but so very very slow on damage. If you want a party based full tank build just ask and we can get you there.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I would like to full tank please :)
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    4ab3fd4ee27b44d644f1165bc2d81490.png

This what im using now with Shield Strike/Radiance Strike .... for solo play but want to change that to tank/dps aswell
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    So what should i pick up if i go into Bulwark and Light (and also what feats ?)
  • Options
    rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    drakeos99 wrote: »
    So what should i pick up if i go into Bulwark and Light (and also what feats ?)

Dude, spend more time playing and figuring out what works, then you will be the one helping your own self and others. It's still not the same as preview, so even those of us who invested the time into trying things out on the preview server are still working things out on live.

Build out to the tank you want to be based on what you think you will need. Your playing and testing will show you what works for you as well as what things do and do not work (like the Radiance capstone). You want to tank? Focus on Bulwark.
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Ok, here is a bit of help, I am not going to write out everything because I am not sure yet on exactly what is best. Generally for tanking your at will should be shielding strike and oath strike. You use shielding strike to keep up the shield and oath strike is great if you ever lose agro because it has a hard taunt.

Your auras should typically be aura of courage and aura of radiance, If your having really bad agro trouble you can swap in aura of valor for courage.

For encounters your main ones should be burning light as your main one and probably relentless avenger, other great ones are templar's wrath, and sacred weapon and vow of enimty. I would probably keep burning light, avenger all the time and swap around the last depending on the needs, like vow will let the dps never have to worry about agro, wrath gives you a lot of temp hp when used against groups.

As far as feats I would say
    Toughness and weapon mastery 2 t2 lights shield T3 Attunement and 2 whereever T4 Steadfast

bulwark Holy Resurgence(stamina regen t2 Stand Fast t3 this is a wash not sure really T4 probably exemplar T5 avenger's T6 1
    Then the last are kinda personal preference, I think they could equally work in either of the feat trees.

As far as companions when soloing I like to use a GWF for soloing to add damage or a healer if you need the extra heals, but generally the summoned companions are much better now than the stones for solo content. When your grouping I would say the stones are still the best option though.

That said I can see a lot changing over the next few weeks as they do balancing as well so who knows what it will look like for pallies in the long run. Also a lot will change through testing out different options. This is only a starting point, after that you have to look at what works and what doesn't and change them accordingly. Some things I said could not work out as I have not tested everything yet.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    rabbinicus wrote: »
    Dude, spend more time playing and figuring out what works, then you will be the one helping your own self and others. It's still not the same as preview, so even those of us who invested the time into trying things out on the preview server are still working things out on live.

Build out to the tank you want to be based on what you think you will need. Your playing and testing will show you what works for you as well as what things do and do not work (like the Radiance capstone). You want to tank? Focus on Bulwark.

Yes but what should i take this part is confusing i dont want to keep getting kicked from groups cause i dont have the skills to tank ...
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Yes but what should i take this part is confusing i dont want to keep getting kicked from groups cause i dont have the skills to tank ...

Then you need to spend the time playing and figuring it out.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Well then there isnt ANY guides or helpful post yet apart from other people posted except you all i asked is for simple help in which feats to pick for good full tanking build (that doesnt suck so much or end up getting one shotted and kicked by leaders)
  • Options
    moobenw1moobenw1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited April 2015
  • Options
    deathsremnantdeathsremnant Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 185
    edited April 2015
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?840401-Voltomey-s-Paladin-Review link to volts guide I found it useful

*Edit hah just noticed someone else posted it already
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Not a real proper guide though says both spec (tank and heals) and all i want is tank spec :(
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Not a real proper guide though says both spec (tank and heals) and all i want is tank spec :(

Then it might be your guide that you end up writing to help other people. Lots of things don't seem to be working, and everyone is in the same boat figuring it out via playing. While it is unfortunate that you don't think you have the help and support your want on the forum, many more people are playing and trying to figure it out than posting here.

So spend some more time in game playing around, and if you're still getting kicked from dungeons it might be a lot more about how you're playing than any lack of having a guide to give you a build. If you want to tank, take feats that give you more threat and let you stay up longer. Keep an eye on your log to see if things aren't working, and review it regularly. That is one of the most common ways how people figure out when things aren't working.

Alternately, don't bother with dungeons until you have a spec that you enjoy playing and that you think is working for you.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Additional thought: Since you have other characters, if any of them have 150 ardent coins available you might want to get the mace if you haven't yet acquired a paladin artifact weapon. It's decent enough to start with to get you through some of the tougher content in the early stages.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Already have my 70 main weapon and offhand also changed my spec to tank/heal spec and did well :)
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Already have my 70 main weapon and offhand also changed my spec to tank/heal spec and did well :)

So now you can share your build with the forum and make others happy! :)

• Options
    edited April 2015
    I dont have any builds mate that why i been looking since i been in justice tree for while yet looking for proper tank setup