test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Computer hardware and graphics question

aumdadaraumdadar Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 9 Arc User
edited April 2015 in General Discussion (PC)
Hello,

Sorry if I posted this is the wrong forum. I recently started playing Neverwinter and enjoy most of it; however, the graphics are killing it for me. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to make the graphics appear less pixelated. I've listed my computer's hardware below hoping there is a solution. I have maxed out the video settings, but it still appeares pixelated.

Samsung montior with max resolution of 1024x768
10 GB RAM
Geforce GT 640 1GB
AMD FX-4100

Any suggestions?

My image currently looks like this while playing and I know I can get something better.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/zxJ3b_7cqQU/maxresdefault.jpg

Maybe something like this

http://www.gomultiplayer.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Neverwinter-Online-CBT4-14.jpg

Thanks in advance.
Post edited by aumdadar on

Comments

• Options
    angrymanagementangrymanagement Member Posts: 487 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    This game has had bugged graphics for some time now, and it doesn't look like there has been any attempt to resolve it.
    If your dealing with the issue with the skins not loading in a reasonable amount off time, then Turn Shadows OFF and Turn Character detail (next tab over) down to 100%. Then restart the game.

Your sceenshot looks like something different. Looks like you are getting a 640/480 resize. Are you sure the game is set to 1080p resolution?
  • Options
    aumdadaraumdadar Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Angry,

Those screenshots are not mine. I am using them as references of whay my image looks like and what I would like to see.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    ihaveahies wrote: »
    It seems to be down to you having a low resolution monitor maybe? Possibly the game doesn't handle such low resolutions well.

I was kind of leaning that way, but was hoping someone could give me a difinitive answer on resolution affecting the outcome before I went and purchased a new monitor
  • Options
    halfquarthalfquart Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Your monitor cannot display more than 1024 x 768 pixels. A new monitor with a higher resolution will resolve that limitation. However, your GPU and CPU are very close to the minimum hardware required to run the game. I looked up the specs for the GT 640 and in base performance it is only a little better than the 8800 GT which is the minimum recommended GPU for Neverwinter. A new monitor is certainly a wise investment, but don't expect the results in your second screen shot.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    What do you suggest halfquart?
  • Options
    dll32exedll32exe Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Look if ur resolution scale is 1.00. Option-->Display-->Resolution scale
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    ihaveahies wrote: »
    IIRC I used to play with an 8800gt and did quite well at 1080P. At least I think I did, I did upgrade it to a 6770 and then later a GTX 970. The 640 is still low end though which is why I mentioned there'd be increased performance demands and that even when seeing some issues they may be due to game issues.

Okay, now that I am home and can look at my computer rather than going from memory, I was wrong on the CPU. I have an AMD Phenom II X4 955 quad-core processor. From my understanding, this CPU is comparable to Intel's i7. I was correct on the graphics card and will be replacing that.
  • Options
    securussecurus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    aumdadar wrote: »
    Okay, now that I am home and can look at my computer rather than going from memory, I was wrong on the CPU. I have an AMD Phenom II X4 955 quad-core processor. From my understanding, this CPU is comparable to Intel's i7. I was correct on the graphics card and will be replacing that.

I am not sure where you get that, that is not even close to an normal i7, it actually is not really even comparable to the newer i3's. It is about equal to one of the lowest end i7's from about 2008 and the intels actually work better for games, its really about comparable to one of the mid grade i3's in performance in games.
  • Options
    halfquarthalfquart Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    aumdadar wrote: »

Yes, that's a better CPU than the one you first mentioned though still not a blazing CPU by current standards. It sounds like it would be worth a GPU upgrade to go with your shiny new high-resolution monitor. :) Graphic cards are difficult to recommend but for $125 to $200 you can obtain a significant upgrade to what you've got now. Towards the low end, check out the Radeon R7 260X (get the 2GB RAM version to support 1080p). If you can part with a bit more Zen, consider the Geforce GTX 960. The next sweet spot is the Geforce GTX 970. I've got one of these and the game plays very smoothly at max settings almost everywhere but large population Heroic Encounters involving dragons when my machine will bog down a bit. A 970 should last for three to five years, depending on your upgrade cycle so is a solid investment.

(Disclaimer: these are just personal recommendations based on my own research as a gaming enthusiast.)

Edit: Note that your CPU and motherboard will bottleneck higher-end GPUs so only invest in such a card if you intend to upgrade the motherboard and CPU at some point. I strongly recommend shopping at the low end of the GPU range if you will be using this machine for the foreseeable future.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    securus wrote: »
    I am not sure where you get that, that is not even close to an normal i7, it actually is not really even comparable to the newer i3's. It is about equal to one of the lowest end i7's from about 2008 and the intels actually work better for games, its really about comparable to one of the mid grade i3's in performance in games.

From this comparison chart: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-5.html
  • Options
    mrtwster11mrtwster11 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I have discovered the Nvidia GForce graphics do not play nice with Neverwinter. Switch to Radeon and you will have a better experience
  • Options
    balthezar2balthezar2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    as far as CPU and Graphics card, my graphics look like the second screen shot, and I have an Intel Core2 CPU, and an ATI Radeon 4300, and 5gb Ram, so quad cores and pricey graphic cards aren't necessarily the answer...just my 2 cents :)
    oh, and I have a Samsung SyncMaster 940bw monitor, if that means anything to you :D
  • Options
    kisakeekisakee Member Posts: 193 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Make sure your resolution scale is 1.0, you didn't have V-Sync acticated, get a monitor with minimum 1900x600 resolution, any graphic card except NVidia (recommended Radeon with 1GB or higher) and you will get a nice and clear gaming experience.
    r9jtqurw.jpg

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Thank you everyone.