Install Arc

What's up with the graphics?

ihaveahiesihaveahies Member Posts: 518 Arc User
edited May 2015 in Bug Reports (PC)
s2s4ly.jpg
http://i57.tinypic.com/s2s4ly.jpg

rhpfms.jpg
http://i60.tinypic.com/rhpfms.jpg

It's happened for some time and just wondering what the problem is. I have a GTX 970, but happened with my older 6770 too and sometimes it takes time for stuff to render properly. Longer that I'd like...

Cpu: 3570k
Ram 16 GB
So it's not like my pc is under performing

One thing I wondered was if bank space was a reason for the delay.
Post edited by ihaveahies on

Comments

• alienwulfalienwulf Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    ihaveahies wrote: »
    s2s4ly.jpg
    http://i57.tinypic.com/s2s4ly.jpg

It's happened for some time and just wondering what the problem is. I have a GTX 970, but happened with my older 6770 too and sometimes it takes time for stuff to render properly. Longer that I'd like...

Cpu: 3570k
    Ram 16 GB
    So it's not like my pc is under performing

It can look a lot worse.

Same here I see this alot I beleive its the game and not us..they should fix it.
    CPU 4970K
    Ram 16g
    Dual Mars 760 quardfire
    So not me..either
  • torontodavetorontodave Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 992 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    guys its 2015.

which is why we have to use directx9

=(
    NW-DSQ39N5SJ - 'To Infinity, and BEYOND!' - Spelljammer Quest. Skyships, Indiana Jones moments
    NW-DC9R4J5EH - 'The Black Pearl' - Spelljammer! Phlo Riders and Space Orcs
    Thanks for all the fish.
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    If it's a new problem, try an older version of the nvidia pilot. If it works well enough for what you're playing, don't update it, it may create new issues.
  • suddenlyslowsuddenlyslow Member Posts: 818 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I don't know who discovered it, but setting "Character Detail Texture" in 'Advanced' under options to 75% seems to correct this problem as well as the icon issues.
  • sencientdragonsencientdragon Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Noticed this as well. As a game developer myself, if I had to guess I'd say it happens because game didn't load particle/fx image/mesh yet and those "blocks" are placeholders that are used instead. From my experience, it helps to turn off any software that uses network (except game of course), such as torrent clients, browsers, Steam, Skype, any updaters that may running (updater for NCSoft games such as Aion needs to be closed in particular as it uses much of HDD as well which slows things down even more) and so on. It really helps to do that.
  • quotablequotable Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    That looks to me like placeholders when stuff hasn't loaded properly. Does it go away after a while, or stay like that forever even if you stand there for half an hour waiting for things to load?

If it does stay like that forever, it could be corrupt art assets on your hard drive, or it could be a bug in the game. It's easy for something slightly wrong in code to make graphics look wildly wrong.

Quaternion from the previous forum
  • wixxgs1chtwixxgs1cht Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Had the same issue and a friend of mine had a fix for me:

/reduce_mip 1
    as well as reducing
    Character Texture Detail: 50%

Everything else I tried didn't work reliably.

Edit: When you've done that, typing "/reduce_mip" should return this:
    [17:02] reduce_mip_override: 1
    [17:02] reduce_mip_world: -1 (implict from world tex LOD level of 2.000000)
    [17:02] reduce_mip_entity: 2 (implict from entity tex LOD level of 0.250000)
    edited March 2015
    ihaveahies wrote: »
    Temporary, but it was a fairly regular thing that sometimes took a min or two. One thing that made it even more annoying was that if an inventory item didn't fully load and you moved it (or even a power) then it's pretty much impossible to see where you're moving it to. To solve that, I'd need to restart the client.

The character texture detail seems to improve things so far. Though decreasing any setting isn't really an ideal solution.

That sounds like a problem of things taking a long time to load. I haven't seen anything analogous, though I use an SSD. Does anyone who runs the game off of an SSD see these problems, or is it only hard drive users?

• matthiasthehun76matthiasthehun76 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,184 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I have posted such pictures like the OP for a long time.

DirectX11, Nvidia cards affected especially and server issues combined, that's where the solution is.

The graphics engine of the game is old, it has it's boundaries, still it can be stretched to a use DX11 somewhat, but it will never be perfect.

It would have been better if Cryptic would have used a more recent graphic engine, either own built or bought, but i think the decision fell on this, cause it's price, simple as that.

Have tested it tho, on university computers, same problems. Older graphic cards, which aren't native DX11, are actually in a better position lol.

I have to be fair too, what was or is achieved with the bit outdated engine, visually is great, but it is like an older human being, a bit slower in some cases and has it's grumpy side lol.
    The real honest man is honest from conviction of what is right, not from policy.
    Robert E. Lee

I only believe in statistics that I doctored myself.
    Winston Churchill

The human race is a herd. Here we are, unique, eternal aspects of consciousness with an infinity of potential, and we have allowed ourselves to become an unthinking, unquestioning blob of conformity and uniformity. A herd. Once we concede to the herd mentality, we can be controlled and directed by a tiny few. And we are.
    David Icke

edited March 2015
    It would have been better if Cryptic would have used a more recent graphic engine, either own built or bought, but i think the decision fell on this, cause it's price, simple as that.

Cryptic made their own engine, didn't they? I thought the idea was that they built an engine, then used it for Champions Online, Star Trek Online, and more recently, Neverwinter. If you've got someone competent (not necessarily great but at least competent) building it, rolling your own engine is going to handily outperform anything you could license.

Graphical artifacting has nothing to do with which DirectX version you're using. If DX9 caused artifacts, we'd have seen it in all DX9 games ever. It's either a particular bug--which can happen easily with any graphics API--or else things taking too long to load. And I'd lean toward the "things taking too long to load" explanation--and if it is that, the problem is parts of the game engine that neither know nor care which graphics API you're using.

If you're not making extensive use of tessellation, then all DX11 offers over 10 is some minor tinkering around the edges. And I've yet to see a commercial game use tessellation sensibly; most don't use it at all, and those that do tend to do stupid things with it.

• matthiasthehun76matthiasthehun76 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,184 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    quotable wrote: »
    It's either a particular bug--which can happen easily with any graphics API--or else things taking too long to load.

Exactly, i think too, this might be the core problem.
    The real honest man is honest from conviction of what is right, not from policy.
    Robert E. Lee

I only believe in statistics that I doctored myself.
    Winston Churchill

The human race is a herd. Here we are, unique, eternal aspects of consciousness with an infinity of potential, and we have allowed ourselves to become an unthinking, unquestioning blob of conformity and uniformity. A herd. Once we concede to the herd mentality, we can be controlled and directed by a tiny few. And we are.
    David Icke

• suddenlyslowsuddenlyslow Member Posts: 818 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    That sounds like a problem of things taking a long time to load. I haven't seen anything analogous, though I use an SSD. Does anyone who runs the game off of an SSD see these problems, or is it only hard drive users?

It used to happen with me with an SSD (never did until about mod 4 or 5 and then it started). The solution that worked for me was what I described earlier with a reduction in character detail. I also used to have some other odd issues like inspecting players would ld me or looking at the collections would ld me or a profession task finishing would ld or opening the 'find persons' tab in social. These went away but when considering them all together it does seem like a network or loading issue. I never had these problems when I had NW on an HD so I even tried reinstalling it on an HD but that didn't solve it either so I am back to the SSD.
    edited March 2015
    It used to happen with me with an SSD (never did until about mod 4 or 5 and then it started). The solution that worked for me was what I described earlier with a reduction in character detail. I also used to have some other odd issues like inspecting players would ld me or looking at the collections would ld me or a profession task finishing would ld or opening the 'find persons' tab in social. These went away but when considering them all together it does seem like a network or loading issue. I never had these problems when I had NW on an HD so I even tried reinstalling it on an HD but that didn't solve it either so I am back to the SSD.

Iam running Samsung SSD's in rade 0 and see the problem often..did reduce character detail and helped. For a game this old now should not have graphic bugs like this. But seems Crytic only will do the min needed. I was a beta tester and Founder and am sad at the ton of different problems this game has. IMO..
    edited March 2015
    alienwulf wrote: »
    Iam running Samsung SSD's in rade 0 and see the problem often..did reduce character detail and helped. For a game this old now should not have graphic bugs like this. But seems Crytic only will do the min needed. I was a beta tester and Founder and am sad at the ton of different problems this game has. IMO..

Good to know that it's not purely a hard drive limitation.

But I'd like to recommend ditching the RAID 0 setup. A single good SSD is so fast that outside of synthetic benchmarks or something very unusual such as trying to record uncompressed video, all that RAID 0 does is increase your chances of failure and data loss.

• swoods74swoods74 Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Thx for the posts all, i was wandering if i had a card problem (radeon 7800) glad i read this before buying a new one:) This issue definitely needs resolved on their end. I run on samsung ssd and high speed cable connection and a very decent gaming computer. Again thx for post and saving me the money of new gpu.
    edited March 2015
    Good to know that it's not purely a hard drive limitation.

But I'd like to recommend ditching the RAID 0 setup. A single good SSD is so fast that outside of synthetic benchmarks or something very unusual such as trying to record uncompressed video, all that RAID 0 does is increase your chances of failure and data loss.

You are so right..I was heavy into benching and OCing I should realy reset back to one SSD. Will take your good advice.
  • alexgabriel23alexgabriel23 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 276
    edited March 2015
    thats weird i have way lower stats in my pc then the poster and im using all settings to max except (debriss 300) which is 0.... hmm try to put debriss on 0 ? maybe helps ? i rarely rarely have a graphic problem and my pc is inferior to the poster pc
  • alexgabriel23alexgabriel23 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 276
    edited March 2015
    also i dont have any SSD in my pc and does graphic problems deosnt affect me at all , maybe its a glitch with newer nvidia cards
  • sobacsobac Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 440 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I have NVW installed on 2TB 7200 rpm drive, and I can clearly see that it's not drive related prob at all. I can check HDD graphs and for already cached parts/maps, there's almost inexistent drive load, a few MB maybe. An already mentioned fixes works great, but visually game looks too blurry for me, and I prefer to reload the game instead from time to time.
    This "bug" was there since beta, but starts to be very annoying since M5. They solved it somehow but it still appear from time to time.
  • bowiecool1bowiecool1 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    turned off antialiasing=worked pretty fine for me