test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Black Ice Questions

rcethatsmercethatsme Member Posts: 79 Arc User
edited March 2015 in General Discussion (PC)
I have three questions I would like help with.

1. Can someone please tell me how the heck to level up the Black Ice Craft?
I have refined my butt off and still show zero experience earned. I want to be able to start crafting overload stone and I can see that this is possible at level 2. Does it have anything to do with my progress in IWD?

2.) Where can I get Corrupted Black Ice Gear?
I have my level 60 (71), GWF, who will be able to run IWD in mod 6, needing a Sword Knot and Boots to complete his set. But with set bonuses going away is it really worth it now. My 60 (71), DC already has his Purified set.

3.) Also what is with the Tier-1, Tier-2, and Tier-3 when I refine my Ice.?
Is there any advantage to going with more speed verses quality during refining?

P.S. I want to send an Advanced THANK YOU to any and all that answers.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• learch123learch123 Member Posts: 514 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2015
    black ice crafting is lveled up with the campain window up to rank 3 for no rank 5 with mod 6
  • rcethatsmercethatsme Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    So as I get to the next reputation level I will also level my craft?
    edited March 2015
    you will have access to upgrade it
  • ablettoabletto Member Posts: 34
    edited March 2015
    As learch said, you level up in campaign window by completing campaign tasks "Rank Up" (Or is it "Shape Up??"). Each one consumes Auril's Tears / Dwarven Coin / etc.

The most time consuming part of Black Ice in general is the large quantity of Reputation you need to open up these tasks in campaign window. It's something like a month and a half of doing the daily TT/AB quest in a row to hit Rank 3. Assuming you have all the reputation already you could likely get your levels within a day or two.

I actually quite like the system as it opens up the options to one of the best gear types via profession without actually having to really use it, since you are basically leveling via quests.

Tiers just represent your quality of tool (bonus) used for the profession task. In certain professions like Jewelrymaking this can mean the difference between a +5 ring worth junk and a +6 ring worth 120k. For Black Ice Refining I'm pretty sure the higher your bonus the larger quantity of 1,800 Black Ice you'll get compared to less bonus. If you look closely you'll see out of 1.8k you usually only get back around 1.4k refined.

Cheers
    edited March 2015
    And Salutations beck to you my friend
  • blackjackwidowblackjackwidow Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 424 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Quick thing to note - you get the reputation experience by completing the daily & weekly from the faction head - TT or AB. Basically, from doing Biggrin's Tomb weekly & the heroic encounter + black ice daily.

I wasted a lot of time doing the Auril's Tears/Dwarven Coins without always completing the HE/Black Ice daily, until I realized this. You need the others to actually do the campaign tasks, but you need the reputation for them to become available. Just in case you missed it (like I did). :)
    edited March 2015
    Please explain what are the " HE/Black Ice Dailey" I think that is what Im am NOT doing. I run all the quest ( three a day) and Baggins once a week. Is their another I am mossing?
    edited March 2015
    the only quest that gives reputation that i am aware of is needless distration
    briggens gives konig coins
    edited March 2015
    Ok so at least I am doing those right. I thought it was something I was not doing. All I have ever done is PVE and always by myself. I have had to learn on the fly so to speak.
    So again Thank You
    edited March 2015
    Isn'T it the coins that U need to get the reputation. Are they really not the same?
  • silence1xsilence1x Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Correct - only the daily IWD quest from either the TT or AB person gives you reputation. That's why everyone has to take 35 days to get all of the boons. BI crafting is in the middle of the campaign window and opens up as you get more reputation.
    I aim to misbehave
    edited March 2015
    coin are not the same you need rep to unlock tiers and coins to buy boons / crafting levels
    edited March 2015
    No both my Big guys have unlocked Dwarven, so I am ok their. I have completed both Sharadar and Dread, and I figured that out. Unlock whatever u can whenever U can. (provided U have thr AD)
    edited March 2015
    Ok ALOT of thing have become Clearer now. Still do not know weather it is better to go quailty or speed in refining Ice?
  • suicidalgodotsuicidalgodot Member Posts: 2,465 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Caer Konig Reputations is acquired by doing the dailies (only, nothing else!): "Needless Distractions" for AB, "Safe Keeping" for TT. Biggrins gives those Konig Coins which you'll need, too.
  • leeksieleeksie Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    rcethatsme wrote: »
    Ok ALOT of thing have become Clearer now. Still do not know weather it is better to go quailty or speed in refining Ice?

Black Ice Shaping is one of the 'better' professions in that both Speed and Quality have their place. The higher Quality results are more efficient (get more Black Ice from refining, get 2x the stones from crafting, get more Black Ice back with your crafted gear) but the actual items you get are the same at T1 as T2 and T3.

You can get the best Black Ice gear in the game (currently) with just your White Gauntlet and a T3 White Assistant Cryomancer. You don't even need the Graver tools if you don't want them. It will take a while to harvest and refine enough Black Ice and to get all the required components from the HEs and Quests, but it can be done.

Personally, I tend to go with the Quality path rather than Speed, but I'm not in a rush and so those extra few hours are not as important as maybe getting a better result. Having said that, this is one profession where Speed is a viable alternative, especially if you have lots of Black Ice to play with.

As others have said this this thread, with some of the other crafting professions, Quality is the only way to go as the T3 results are orders of magnitude better than the T1 or T2 results.
    Masashi - TR (Wisperknife / Executioner)
    Militides Hammerfist - GWF (Swordmaster / Destroyer)
    Apollo Deadeye - HR (Pathfinder / Archer)
    Percival Steadfast - GF (Swordmaster / Tactician)
    Shal Magmastrike - CW (Master of the Flame / Thaumaturge)
    Salazar the Damned - SW (Hellbringer / Fury)
    Tarl Tyrswrath - DC (Divine Oracle / Righteous)
    Sontag Tyrshand - OP (Devotion / Justice)
  • dodgododgo Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 870 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    DO NOT GET CORRUPTED OR PURIFIED GEAR> there is other better stuff next mod in black ice shaping