test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Calm down folks . . . don't turn this forum into League's toxic environment

silence1xsilence1x Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
edited March 2015 in General Discussion (PC)
Every time we have a new mod come out, people get nervous and start taking it out on each other in here.

"It's too easy. Make it harder."

"It's too hard. We can't progress."

"Why'd you nerf MY class and not everyone else's?"

"CW's are STILL OP!"

"TR's can't be killed or dodged in PVP."

"PVP PVP PVP."

"GF's are gonna be useless." (okay that one may have some merit) :)

Folks, can we all agree to disagree? Everyone has an opinion but you must also others to disagree. Just because you know your class and can use a formula doesn't mean your opinions are "better" than someone else's.

Major changes like the one coming in Mod 6 will affect EVERYONE; some more than others yes but all of us will have to adjust. . . . just like we always do. Every mod has made changes, some good and some bad (to us). Let's wait and see what happens.

Stop turning the forums into an episode of League of Legends. The toxicity over there is legendary (pun intended).

We are all here because we like this game. If it's no longer fun, stop playing and quit acting like someone stole your toys from the sandbox. Be nice - it may surprise you that most people are nice.

/end rant about rants
I aim to misbehave
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• vasdamasvasdamas Member Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Hmmm, just watch how many threads-replies appeared once people rebelled against CWs.
  • xgrandz02xgrandz02 Member Posts: 702 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The "League's toxic environment, Is the only reason why this forum is still alive!.
    people complain about their worries because it gave their hopes, to keep the playing the game.
    The last Door, when PPL are Uncertain to Quit the game is the forum.
    <::::::[]==0 GwF 0==[]::::::> ● Still waiting for the promised Improvement ●
  • henry404henry404 Member Posts: 690 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    silence1x wrote: »
    Be nice - it may surprise you that most people are nice.

Fact 1: Most people are nice.
    Fact 2: Most people are not on this forums.
  • vordaynvordayn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,283 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    xgrandz02 wrote: »
    people complain about their worries because it gave their hopes, to keep the playing the game.

Indeed, I just hope that the next module will deliver on its promises.

A lot of people are uncertain and post their fears, gripes, what-have-you, here. Some complaints are actually pretty important and point out imbalances, bugs, broken things about the game.

I guess it shows people still care about this game to post here. I hope the devs are listening to them, to us - not necessarily to do exactly what the person wants each time, but to see what the problem is, and try to make it more balanced, and well, fun.
    Vordon CW        Vordayn DC        Axel Wolfric GWF        Logain SW        Gawyn GF        Galad OP        Aspen Darkfire HR        Min TR
  • dreamhuntressxdreamhuntressx Member Posts: 453 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    vasdamas wrote: »
    Hmmm, just watch how many threads-replies appeared once people rebelled against CWs.

A well deserved rebellion, if u ask me.
    Leanan Sidhe (not "The Dresde Files" fairy!) - NW Legit Channel Moderator
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    henry404 wrote: »
    Fact 1: Most people are nice.
    Fact 2: Most people are not on this forums.

This is the truth. Less than 10% of the playerbase actually reads the forums...and probably less than 1% actually post. If people are happy about stuff, there's no reason for them to waste time they could be spending playing posting here.

But if people have complaints, then the forum is the first place they go.

So you have to keep that in mind. But it's also the reason why a lot of players have set up different sub-communities that they can police in the game, to minimize the amount of toxic players they encounter. Most if not all of my guildmates have /zone, /trade and /lfg turned off, and instead rely on community sponsored channels for their interactions, of which there's thousands of really nice people to play with.

If you look around and see nothing but mean, toxic people surrounding you, the first question I'd ask is not why is everyone so mean, but how did I end up here in the first place.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • clericalistclericalist Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Sure everyone has their own opinions, but that also means that there those with opinions that think what you wrote was wrong. You might call it "toxic", I call it providing feedback. I would rather have people complaining endlessly about the game than just praising it, because how exactly would praising it make it better ?
  • phoenix1021phoenix1021 Member Posts: 532 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    It's mostly the PvP crowd that throws a fit over anything. It's like that in any game though. Many take their playing way to serious, look what words are being thrown around here: "fear", "rebellion"...
  • wildwolf8wildwolf8 Member Posts: 161 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2015
    As someone who probably falls into your 'toxic' definition, I'll say that it's important for a community to open its eyes to things when a game is going in a horrible direction. We have all loved this game at one point or another. Most of us want it to continue to be entertaining. When we see it doing things that are completely against the concept of fun, we are going to call it out in the hopes that others will see what we see and possibly, the developers will realize how their actions are affecting the community.

I would say that right now Neverwinter is a great game for someone just entering the game. For the price of a normal game, you can get a mount and a pet and have fun for a few months while leveling your character. After that point, the long term players are consistently getting the shaft. No fun NEW content is being introduced, and anything we work hard towards is reset and will possibly only be reset in the future with the chance to do the same things over and over but buidling up another thing. To me, that shows a lack of vision from the developers. There is no reason for a long term player to keep playing neverwinter, and that is a problem.

And the forum is just the place to discuss feelings like this.
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    wildwolf8 wrote: »

Of course feedback is welcomed and encouraged.

But think of it this way. What if you're a chef in a restaurant. Which feedback is more helpful to you?

A) "Your food sucks. You're a terrible chef"

or

B) "Needs more salt."

And if you hang out on these forums long enough, you'll know which one tends to dominate here :)
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • amenephisamenephis Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I've been on plenty of forums, and seen them with both positive and negative atmospheres. I've found that more often than not, the general tone of the forum is a direct reflection of A) the subject matter and B) the way the forum is run.

Game forums aren't inherently negative. Something in the way the game is being run, the forum is being run, or both, drives them there.
  • suicidalgodotsuicidalgodot Member Posts: 2,465 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I look at your join date and assume that you started out with this game about the same time. Under this assumption I want to get some things out, because due to your being on this game since only half a year you might not have seen the phases before, and due to this you might mispercieve some things.
    [...] No fun NEW content is being introduced, and anything we work hard towards is reset and will possibly only be reset in the future with the chance to do the same things over and over but buidling up another thing. To me, that shows a lack of vision from the developers. There is no reason for a long term player to keep playing neverwinter, and that is a problem.

Most stuff isn't actually nerfed. The upcoming Mod 6 is the first time the nerfhammer hits this game in full force, and actually doesn't, really, because again there's the standard pattern visible in NWO: Something new, shiney, and presumably better is introduced at the very top with each module. Gear-wise even Mod 6 doesn't nerf your gear, it just introduce better stuff, which then replaces the current BiS. And Level-cap raises as a method to reset the economy are a standard issue in MMO's and similar loot-based games as far as I know them.

Also new content has been introduced to this game with every module so far. Whether that is fun, and even more whether it's still fun after the umpteenth playthrough, that is a different story, but to some extent a question of personal taste.

Lack of ideas: The whole game is popular among many of its players due to its fundament based on the D&D roleplaying system. While this on the one hand gives a wide background, on the other hand it also gives a certain restriction in terms of what the pinnacle of power may be. Next thing here is that it also narrows down the freedom of choice, and the cooperation and coordination with Wizards of the Coast further pulls on the reins of the game developers. I still think they're doing an acceptable to good job so far.

This however has little to do with the acidic inimical envy, deriding, nerf-calls, elitism, and patronizing that you currently find in this forum. Sorry to say so, but here this is way beyond the scope I've seen in other game forums. I'm all for the occasional sarcasm and/or snide remark, but in here apart from real newcomers' calls for assistance, every thread with a topic that offers the slightest opening for reiterating the same old flamewars escalates within two or three pages to just that.

And just that is what IMHO the OP wanted to criticize...

And he's right, it doesn't have to be spilled all over each thread, doesn't have to be that vitriolic, and doesn't have to ruin the occasional constructive controversy. Why can't people here confine this stuff to the few flamefest threads like they do in several other games I've been playing and foruming in so far?
    edited March 2015
    ironzerg79 wrote: »

But think of it this way. What if you're a chef in a restaurant. Which feedback is more helpful to you?

or

B) "Needs more salt."

And if you hang out on these forums long enough, you'll know which one tends to dominate here :)

Well the feeling I get around here is 'your food needs more salt.'

'ok. we're going to add pepper and increase the price.'
  • dragoness10dragoness10 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 780 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    silence1x wrote: »
    "It's too easy. Make it harder."

"It's too hard. We can't progress."

"Why'd you nerf MY class and not everyone else's?"

"PVP PVP PVP."

Then the poor Dev wakes up panting hard, trying to convince themselves it was just another nightmare, and gets out of bed in the morning. Customer Service people fare no better staring at the calendar for when the impending release date comes.

Just try to keep it fun, and know not everything can go ONE way. The ways are many, and the paths winding.
    " I tried to figure out the enigma that was you, and then I realized mastering Wild Magic was easier." - Old Wizard in Waterdeep

"Why is it dragons only use ketchup? I'd like a little wasabi please. Us silvers like a variety of condiments."

"Don't call them foolish mortals. One, they don't learn from it. Two, It just ticks them off." - An Ancient Red Dragon
    edited March 2015
    shadw2012 wrote: »
    Question, if i may, but why so much hate towards CW's? Have they offended you in some way?
    Yeah, long story but to summarize it all - I think the game would have been so much better without CWs, or at least without that buff/nerf race to catch up with them. Other TRs, GWFs and now SW probably feel the same way, especially TRs.
    edited March 2015
    and for suicidal godot, I started playing before mod 4 hit, though I didn't start posting here until quite a bit after that. And from what I have seen, mod 4, while I HATE artifact gear, was fine. Mod 5 was fine in concept, but they failed tiamat so hopelessly by not allowing groups to enter and also having it drop t2 gear, making guilds mostly obsolete, that it was the beginning of the end.

and now mod 6 is asking us to get rid of the things we worked for in mods 4 and 5 to replace them with the same system that most people detest only to do the same things we have been doing over and over again already BUT harder versions of them that are going to force people into getting new shiney things, when we really just barely scratched the surface on our 'old' new shiney things.

this is a problem, and it feels horrible.
  • myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    It really comes down to maturity level, which varies widely here on these forums . . .
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
  • loexwellloexwell Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I would say that right now Neverwinter is a great game for someone just entering the game. For the price of a normal game, you can get a mount and a pet and have fun for a few months while leveling your character. After that point, the long term players are consistently getting the shaft. No fun NEW content is being introduced, and anything we work hard towards is reset and will possibly only be reset in the future with the chance to do the same things over and over but buidling up another thing. To me, that shows a lack of vision from the developers. There is no reason for a long term player to keep playing neverwinter, and that is a problem.

^^ this

I'm a new player that has almost finished the campaign and the feeling has been creeping up on me, for what am I doing this?
    To hang around WoD al day? Tiamat i've done so many times, I have 45 Linu,
    Play the same dungeon over and over again for new gear to do the same content?

I will never go through the same bore having to do quests over and over and over again on an new toon.
    So the one I have is the first and will be the last.
    The campaign is a kingsize PITA.
    I really love the gameplay so I will see what mod6 brings, but I fear that I will call it a day soon.
  • myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    ironzerg79 wrote: »

or

B) "Needs more salt."

That was so well-said it is an instant classic (in my opinion). Yes, the dominant response to differing opinions is insults. I am glad there are at least some mature people here or else I would leave and never come back - sometimes the hatred gets extreme . . .
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
  • djoffer1djoffer1 Member Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited March 2015

Not sure it Counts when you are behind half the replies in the thread....
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Are you new to MMOs?
  • commanderdata001commanderdata001 Member Posts: 307 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2015

You mean the same dozen loud ppl for a year using the preview section and probably spending more time on forums than actual playing...?
  • commanderdata001commanderdata001 Member Posts: 307 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2015
    Hope when they will release mod6 everone will have their hands full.
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Well the feeling I get around here is 'your food needs more salt.'

'ok. we're going to add pepper and increase the price.'

I love this analogy and I feel I might be using it elsewhere :p
  • ofnieslafofnieslaf Member Posts: 381 Arc User
    edited March 2015

no rebellion will work against CW, its futile

resistance is futile just stop pls, cw will always be #1

regards
    edited March 2015
    shadw2012 wrote: »
    Fair enough, I take it you talk of PvP? But what i dont understand if people don't play certain classes feel the need to rant and rave about them. I play a CW, and yes some things we do are, shall i say, a little overpowered. But from what i have seen in game and on forums, most are so enamored by the paingiver chart, or any of them for that matter, i do not, i could care less. I play the game to have fun, mainly PvE, i have dabbled in PvP.

Im sorry, maybe i do not truly understand it.
    PvP in this module was the red line. I'd say it's the hatred I've gathered in my trips as PvE rogue since m1 to m5. No matter what happens, ****ty cheap CW class is always the top one. And it's quite frustrating when you roll a class, it gets nerfed, you endure PvE for 5 modules, give up and roll a new class (which is a completet trash for masochists in PvP) and this one gets nerfed too. Such a toxic deja vu. And it's all about dps race since more dps = faster. CWs do more damage than SWs on preview plus the control the adds, there is no reason to play dps SW. I bet TRs will have it tough in PvE too, without ITC and smoke bomb it could easily equal death I.

You don't need to, just keep playing your CW and don't look at these forums.
    You mean the same dozen loud ppl for a year using the preview section and probably spending more time on forums than actual playing...?
    I've been reading preview for a while, that's the first time people have been cursing at Control Overlords so badly. Usually it's just a single person which then is being trolled apart by your vicious breathren. Too bad there are just too many for you to smallow now.