test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Controls

leloesleloes Member Posts: 24 Arc User
edited April 2015 in General Discussion (PC)
Isn't there a better way to control toon? Unlike most MMOs the w,s, a,d don't do the same movements. I find my toon going all over the place unless I use my mouse at the same time to guide him. Any suggestions?
Post edited by leloes on

Comments

• henry404henry404 Member Posts: 690 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Not quite sure what you mean. It's pretty much the same as every other game and feels really natural to me.
    Hold W and steer with the mouse. Or, if you have a long way to go and/or need a sip of beer/coffee, then press T for autorun and steer with the mouse whilst taking that sip.
  • sokolnichiysokolnichiy Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    henry404 wrote: »
    Not quite sure what you mean. It's pretty much the same as every other game and feels really natural to me.
    Hold W and steer with the mouse. Or, if you have a long way to go and/or need a sip of beer/coffee, then press T for autorun and steer with the mouse whilst taking that sip.

I think that he might be willing to have A and D buttons function as rotation buttons not just "step left"-"step right".
  • leloesleloes Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Most other games the mouse is only used when casting spells, etc. With NW push the w to go forward and the toon goes all over the place instead of running straight.
  • wildwolf8wildwolf8 Member Posts: 161 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2015
    hold w to run. use mouse to look around. just like any game. even xbox. hold left directional pad forward to walk. use right directional pad to look around. same thing.
    edited March 2015
    Any other MMO I played the mouse was only used to cast spells, etc from hotbar. W was for running without use of mouse .
  • wildwolf8wildwolf8 Member Posts: 161 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2015
    oh i see what you're saying. yeah, neverwinter is set up more like a console game in that regard. to me, it feels more intuitive, and I feel more in control the way neverwinter does it. but that's mainly because I'm more of a console gamer most of the time.

also, there are many fewer encouters to use than the mmos you're talking about, so it's fluid to use keys for powers rather than clicking them with a mouse.
    edited March 2015
    wildwolf8 wrote: »
    oh i see what you're saying. yeah, neverwinter is set up more like a console game in that regard. to me, it feels more intuitive, and I feel more in control the way neverwinter does it. but that's mainly because I'm more of a console gamer most of the time.

also, there are many fewer encouters to use than the mmos you're talking about, so it's fluid to use keys for powers rather than clicking them with a mouse.
    So, how can I get it to where it's easier for me to direct my toon?
    edited March 2015
    The options page lets you change key assignments and add new ones but I don't think you can change the way movement keys interact with the mouse.

Another option might be to assign "go forwards" to the mouse wheel click so you can at least "drive" with one hand, even if it is not the hand you want to use.

Or you could just get used to the way it works now. It is quite intuitive and the mobs are so close together that you rarely get chance to let go of the mouse in any case.
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Neverwinter controls a lot like a first person game. The WASD keys move your character, but the mouse "steers" you. You aim your spells and can control how your character turns with the mouse. All your abilities should be activated with key presses. You don't cast powers with the mouse.

If you hit ALT it frees you from the mouse look mode and gives you a cursor so you can select stuff in menus, but otherwise the game is actually controlled in mouselook mode. It might take a few mnutes to get accustom to it, butonce you do, it's awesome.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • quotablequotable Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    What you're looking for is console commands:

http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Console_command

And more to the point, the particular commands /adjustcamyaw and /adjustcampitch

If you map those commands to keys, you can press keyboard keys or gamepad buttons or whatever you prefer in order to rotate. Be warned that it's not a hold for a continuous rotation as is typical, but discrete jumps each time you press a button. It's awkward at first, but you can get used to it--and it does make the game playable without requiring much mouse usage.

Unfortunately, they don't have a good GUI for setting console commands. What you'll end up having to do is to edit a keybind file using a text editor such as Notepad. Put that file in the directory where the game is installed. By default (assuming you use the English version), that's:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Perfect World Entertainment\Neverwinter_en\Neverwinter\Live

Once you've saved the file there (and gotten around Windows not liking you to put stuff in Program Files manually), you can use /bind_load_file in game to load the keybinds from the file.

It will probably take you several tries to get the syntax correct. The keybind system is buggy, and likes to put in (null) in a bunch of places, but doesn't know how to parse it, so you'll have to remove all occurrences of (null) in favor of "". You can use /bind_save_file to save your current keybinds to a file and get some idea of what the syntax looks like.

If you want to know how to put a console command in there, as the GUI doesn't let you do so directly, here's a copy and paste of part of my keybinds file:

0x3 "+PowerTrayExec 1"
    0x10 "adjustcamyaw -60"
    0x4 "+specialClassPower"
    0x12 "adjustcamyaw 60"
    0x5 "+PowerTrayExec 3"
    0x13 ""
    0x8 "adjustcamyaw -10"
    0x9 "adjustcampitch 10"
    0xa "adjustcamyaw 10"
    0xf ""
    0xb "adjustcampitch -10"
    0x803+0x2 ""
    0x6 "+tacticalSpecial"

For /adjustcamyaw and /adjustcampitch, you put the console command, a space, and then the number of degrees to rotate by all in quotes. I don't recall which command rotates which direction, or which way positive goes, but you can find that by trial and error.

Yes, it's a pain to set up. But it does work once you set it up, and it makes the game playable on a gamepad, only having to occasionally grab a mouse to click on menus. You can navigate most NPC chats with just a gamepad, too, if you set up buttons for it.

Quaternion from the previous forum
  • chipperdoomchipperdoom Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Or they (Neverwinter developers) could take the work done on XBOX and move that to PC options, since the work is done if feels like this should not take a huge amount of time.

Out of curiosity what are users preferred method for dealing with loot options without taking hands off of movement in the middle of battles? Been thinking of making the extra buttons on the mouse so I can choose and move on.
  • zshikarazshikara Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Most MMOs in my experience use mouselook like this game does. The only exception I have played recently would be World of Warcraft and other hotbar MMOs. Any action based MMO would use mouselook.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tired of running dungeons with exploiters and cheaters? Join the legit channel by visiting http://goo.gl/1zfnTS to apply!
    Performing ritual pony sacrifices to Tiamat to earn favor with the RNG Gods since 2014.
  • uvirith1uvirith1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 124
    edited April 2015
    Be grateful. The inability to click on hotkeys will make you a better gamer, even in other mmo`s
    edited April 2015
    uvirith1 wrote: »
    Be grateful. The inability to click on hotkeys will make you a better gamer, even in other mmo`s

Amen to that. Back in Guild Wars 1 as a healer you didn't even watch the action in the harder fights. Your entire world was the party health bars at the side of the screen. No mouse, no aiming, just mash the select person and heal spell keys in the right order, being careful to conserve your power for when the tank really needs that extra boost.