test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Interraction sequence question

hodielhodiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 17 Arc User
Hi all. Back to Foundry after a long time away, but still pretty new at it and trying to create something more detailed than previous attempts.

I'm trying to create a quest where you have to complete tasks in various rooms in the same building, leading up to something as close to a Boss battle as one can do in Foundry. I've created the building using individual rooms physically joined to each other, but if I want to create a sequence in which to do the various rooms, would it be better to use a different map for each room? At the moment each room is available to enter before the adventurer has officially picked up the quests, which isn't ideal.

Also, and this is the one that's really bugging me, I want to have a standard sequence in each room where you
1. Talk to an NPC- Character A
then
2. Fight enemies
then
3. Talk to a defeated NPC version of one of the enemies- Character B

I know that to talk to an NPC version I have to replace the combat enemy with an NPC version that appears in the same place, but what I'm having problems with is that Character B keeps on appearing at the start of the encounter in each room. I want it to only appear after the battle. I can get the enemies to appear after stage 1 given above, via a dialogue prompt, but when my adventurer walks into the room both A and B are there, ready to talk. Presumably because they are both dialogue objectives in the same map?
I'm sure there's a way around this, I think I've seen it in other Foundries, but I can't work it out and my google-fu has failed me so far.

Any comments and help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. :-)
Post edited by hodiel on

Comments

• eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Any NPC/Encounter that is a Story Objective automatically Appears When that Objective is valid.

So, if you want to talk to a "defeated" NPC, you should make the Encounter Complete a Story Objective, and set the Encounter Fight until subdued option. Tthen after that that encounter complete, you Disappear When the Encounter, and Appear When the NPC (which will automatically appear anyway once it's Story Objective becomes active.
  • bardaaronbardaaron Member Posts: 545 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2015
    Also, I would advise against making a different map for each room. Every map brings up a new loading screen, and people don't like to sit through those. If there is one for every room, people will get frustrated since they will be spending more time waiting for 1-room maps to load than they will spend actually playing. You can use objectives to guide the players from one room to the next, and setting doors to "appear when" doesn't make them invisible until then; it makes them so you can't USE them until that "appear when" condition. So if you don't want players to go through a certain door yet, just set its appear when for a time you DO want them to go there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    bardaaron wrote: »
    ...setting doors to "appear when" doesn't make them invisible until then; it makes them so you can't USE them until that "appear when" condition. So if you don't want players to go through a certain door yet, just set its appear when for a time you DO want them to go there.

Hrm? Nice tip. You should add that to the Foundry Wiki Advanced Topics.
  • hodiel01hodiel01 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Thank you for these! Great tip for the doors. I keep on having problems with the story objectives, but shall try what's suggested and- probably come back with more questions later. But this does help!

:-)