test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Rework Armor penetration

burkaancburkaanc Member Posts: 2,186 Arc User
one of problems that allowed ppl to reach insane damage is the way armor penetration works allowing damage resistance to go in negatives, with stacking debuffs and ArP stat. that was also the reason life steal was too strong - there was too much damage

either remove it or make it work differently like 50% damage resistance gets debuffed by 20% = 40%, then next 20% reduce it to 32, next 20% to 25.6 instead of flat reduction making it 50-20-20-20=-10%

atm on live monsters have max 24% DR and you need 24% to ignore it, with these changes it would be reduced to 18.24

that would reduce the difference of damage dealt and player health making existing life steal more reasonable. 10% at 300k skill damage was more than full heal, if armor pen was different the damage would be much smaller and the heal would be smaller as well

the amount of arp in mod6 will make tank classes trash in pvp since their main defense - damage resistance will be ignored by everybody, with these changes the armor would still be good, and it would help the problem with players dealing too much damage

as alternative increase base deflect chance, add deflect to monsters and make ArP reduce targets deflect chance -would still be valuable stat, but not as strong

this(dr option not deflect one) could allow more options in monster design - you could make heavily armored monsters with smth like 90% damage resistance making players use different strategies - like dungeons with low armored monsters could be life steal tanked, might even prefer sentinel tanks, while armored ones would require healers/tanks or kiting since life steal wouldnt provide enough healing

and in the end it would reduce how much player damage can ramp up, atm ppl can probably go over 5~10x their damage with all the DR debuffs
Paladin Master Race
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• candinho2candinho2 Member Posts: 550 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    burkaanc wrote: »
    one of problems that allowed ppl to reach insane damage is the way armor penetration works allowing damage resistance to go in negatives, with stacking debuffs and ArP stat. that was also the reason life steal was too strong - there was too much damage

either remove it or make it work differently like 50% damage resistance gets debuffed by 20% = 40%, then next 20% reduce it to 32, next 20% to 25.6 instead of flat reduction making it 50-20-20-20=-10%

atm on live monsters have max 24% DR and you need 24% to ignore it, with these changes it would be reduced to 18.24

that would reduce the difference of damage dealt and player health making existing life steal more reasonable. 10% at 300k skill damage was more than full heal, if armor pen was different the damage would be much smaller and the heal would be smaller as well

the amount of arp in mod6 will make tank classes trash in pvp since their main defense - damage resistance will be ignored by everybody, with these changes the armor would still be good, and it would help the problem with players dealing too much damage

as alternative increase base deflect chance, add deflect to monsters and make ArP reduce targets deflect chance -would still be valuable stat, but not as strong

this(dr option not deflect one) could allow more options in monster design - you could make heavily armored monsters with smth like 90% damage resistance making players use different strategies - like dungeons with low armored monsters could be life steal tanked, might even prefer sentinel tanks, while armored ones would require healers/tanks or kiting since life steal wouldnt provide enough healing

and in the end it would reduce how much player damage can ramp up, atm ppl can probably go over 5~10x their damage with all the DR debuffs
    Power is going to be nerfed aswell, ppl wont get insane damage anymore because the power now is alot weaker, need 8k power for just 10% damage bonus, so ppl with 11~13k will get max 16~17% damage bonus, down from 50~60%.
    If ArP dint got buffed, players cant even kill mobs due to higher damage resistence and player lack of power bonus.
  • burkaancburkaanc Member Posts: 2,186 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    the power change doesnt help GF/GWF/Pala when all their DR simply ignored
    Paladin Master Race
  • hemkohemko Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Armor penetration never even made DR to go in negatives to begin with, what's your source on that?
    edited February 2015
    hemko wrote: »
    Armor penetration never even made DR to go in negatives to begin with, what's your source on that?

armor pen stat itself didnt, it just allowed to ignore all DR, but debuffs did take it in negatives
    Paladin Master Race
  • marnivalmarnival Member Posts: 1,432 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    There is no way around this defence/arpen/debuff scenario they way they built this game.
    To get some order in it you need to separate the damage into at least magical and physical damage and likely add elemental and poison damage to it.

If you separate the magical and physical damage you can build up defences differently and the need for something that fits all damage is gone.

Unless you separate magical from physical damage and give mobs more resist that tanks (or at the very least pretty much the same) players are going to build up enough arpen to negate all defence a player can muster making tanks walking paper dolls.

And with range having more damage more ccs more avoidence and about same hp/defence its going to be the world of range/casters all over with tanks being fish in a barrel..
  • effectensteineffectenstein Member Posts: 1,031 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2015
    hemko wrote: »

my unstopable is ignored 100% all the time because of RI % smart ***, you have 4 dodges ITC , CW shield and other stuff, but what the GWF has? not even a fox.

the only thing is they need to ADD ARMOR PEN RESILIANCE for TENACITY .
  • twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    burkaanc wrote: »
    armor pen stat itself didnt, it just allowed to ignore all DR, but debuffs did take it in negatives
    Nope.

Against players RI ignored DR directly and Defence debuffs reduced the Defence stat. Neither could be taken negative.

Against Mobs - who don't have a Defence stat - RI ignored DR directly and Defence debuffs were converted into a damage bonus. Again, nothing was taken negative.
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • mfgamesysmfgamesys Member Posts: 462 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Armor pen resistance was on preview for mod 5 testing(though set to 0%), it is clearly needed with the change to arpen.
    Main-Lothor Syralth Guardian Fighter
    edited February 2015
    Nope.

Against players RI ignored DR directly and Defence debuffs reduced the Defence stat. Neither could be taken negative.

Against Mobs - who don't have a Defence stat - RI ignored DR directly and Defence debuffs were converted into a damage bonus. Again, nothing was taken negative.

and what is the opposite of damage resistance ?
    Paladin Master Race
  • ladysylvialadysylvia Member Posts: 946 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2015
    Nope.

Again one guy, that seem to be intelligent, but struggle with one of the easiest elements of gamemechanics. Every Debuff have a fix value, even when the text itself state somethin different. -% Defense is in every case the same -x% DR. Independent if it hit a mob, boss, player with y% DR or player with z% DR. But instead of testing, which I have done for example, over and over the same false phrases are spread out.

HOW can numbers with over 100k+ Damage happen, when the defense stat are heavy under Diminishing Returns, which would make even -10,000% of the defense stat less hardcore as a plain -x% DR? With 5.3k Defense I'm at ~40% DR with it. Going up by +400 make a difference of uh yeah 0.5% DR. But how a base hit of 10k can achieve, even if it would be a crit, then 100k+? When the solostat defense can't be reach in ANY case 100% DR?

This is one of the problems with defense.
    a) It need a very high value to reach a high value
    b) It's bypassed due many debuffs, which reduce it direct
    c) Arpen is much higher rated.

If we compare the situation on PTS: With my current stand, I would need 16k! defense stat to achieve the same DR as I now have @lvl 60. And how many Arpen(one off stat) would need one to negate it? Only 4k or even less! Then any debuff isn't considered.

Even the above mentioned rework isn't good. with 50% ignored, I would drop to 20% while one with 10%! would have 5% at the end. A difference of 15% for 30% difference. I would either say, that the Arpenvalue need to be lower than the defvalue to be a fair off vs. defstat comparison. Else this stat make any other(power, crit, recovery) extrem more powerful without needing a high 'waste' in arpen.
  • mehguy138mehguy138 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Nope.

If a player has 30% DR and you have 30% RI, all your DR debuffs will increase the damage the target receives, which will result in basically turning their DR into negative.
    M6 almost drains your soul given how boring it is. (c) joocycuzzzzzz
  • goldenregisgoldenregis Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    ladysylvia wrote: »
    If we compare the situation on PTS: With my current stand, I would need 16k! defense stat to achieve the same DR as I now have @lvl 60. And how many Arpen(one off stat) would need one to negate it? Only 4k or even less! Then any debuff isn't considered.
    Right now, on PTS, 4k ArP is hard to reach unless you sacrifice a lot of other stats. Not to mention 4k ArP only will give you 10% RI at the level 70 stat curves
    Heh. Mod 0 player/guild, "The Jolly Rogers"
    edited February 2015
    Right now, on PTS, 4k ArP is hard to reach unless you sacrifice a lot of other stats. Not to mention 4k ArP only will give you 10% RI at the level 70 stat curves

Are you sure? Some mention, that they had very high RI values with only a bit more Arpen as @lvl 60.

A screenshot would help.
  • mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    4000 armor penetration on leven 70 is -38.2% ignore thanks.
  • destinyknightdestinyknight Member Posts: 962 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Armor penetration negates Damage resistance, and thats it. Once it reaches 0. it does nothing else.

Any OTHER effects that decrease defense or DR besides armor penetration grants instead a damage bonus against the target after ARP negates all Damage resist. ex: Terror and Plaguefire enchants.
    edited February 2015
    mehguy138 wrote: »
    If a player has 30% DR and you have 30% RI, all your DR debuffs will increase the damage the target receives, which will result in basically turning their DR into negative.
    You only have one direct DR debuff - RI. It can't make DR go negative. Defense debuffs in PVP reduce DR indirectly by reducing the Defence stat. Again, DR can NOT go negative. Once your RI is equal to o greater than a player's DR you do 100% damage. Further defence debuffs do not add damage. This has been pretty exhaustively tested.

BTW there is a difference between a defence debuff and a debuff that flat increases damage taken. You may be confusing these.
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Darquess - Soulbinder
    edited February 2015
    You only have one direct DR debuff - RI. It can't make DR go negative. Defense debuffs in PVP reduce DR indirectly by reducing the Defence stat. Again, DR can NOT go negative. Once your RI is equal to o greater than a player's DR you do 100% damage. Further defence debuffs do not add damage. This has been pretty exhaustively tested.

BTW there is a difference between a defence debuff and a debuff that flat increases damage taken. You may be confusing these.

Sorry dude, but you have no clue. -45% defense value is less than -15% DR applied. With 5.2k reduced to 2.8k def is more as 30% vs. 40% from the begin. Second: the damage values wouldn't reach 3x of the base, if it wouldn't be -200% DR. So how you will explain this? Because the defvalue, can never ever reach 100%. Regardless in the positive or negative manner.
    edited February 2015
    Sorry dude, but you have no clue. -45% defense value is less than -15% DR applied. With 5.2k reduced to 2.8k def is more as 30% vs. 40% from the begin. Second: the damage values wouldn't reach 3x of the base, if it wouldn't be -200% DR. So how you will explain this? Because the defvalue, can never ever reach 100%. Regardless in the positive or negative manner.
    I'm sorry, but the damage formula this game works with are known and are quite clear. Simply removing DR or Defence from a player in PVP cannot drive damage above 100% by itself. There is no negative DR. Period.

In PvE different formulae apply because there is no Defence stat to be reduced by all those 'reduces defence by x%' debuffs. Instead, those debuffs are converted into damage buffs. But not - and here's the important bit - by driving DR negative. In fact DR always applies against debuff bonuses even if you have more RI than the mob has DR. And finally - stacking ArP to drive RI way above the max DR of a mob will not increase damage.

If you want to show me some ACT parses of what you claim is happening then I'd be wiling to look at it again. But every test I've ever done and every parse I've ever seen holds with what I've described. Kaelac has a really good guide on all this that was correct up through Mod 4 at least and AFAIK nothing was changed in Mod 5.

http://laggygamerz.com/forum/index.php?/topic/382-kaelac%E2%80%99s-guide-to-damage-tenacity-reisistance-and-debuffs-in-neverwinter/#2

And BTW - no need to get aggressive about this.
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • tomiotartomiotar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I'm sorry, but the damage formula this game works with are known and are quite clear. Simply removing DR or Defence from a player in PVP cannot drive damage above 100% by itself. There is no negative DR. Period.

In PvE different formulae apply because there is no Defence stat to be reduced by all those 'reduces defence by x%' debuffs. Instead, those debuffs are converted into damage buffs. But not - and here's the important bit - by driving DR negative. In fact DR always applies against debuff bonuses even if you have more RI than the mob has DR. And finally - stacking ArP to drive RI way above the max DR of a mob will not increase damage.

If you want to show me some ACT parses of what you claim is happening then I'd be wiling to look at it again. But every test I've ever done and every parse I've ever seen holds with what I've described. Kaelac has a really good guide on all this that was correct up through Mod 4 at least and AFAIK nothing was changed in Mod 5.

http://laggygamerz.com/forum/index.php?/topic/382-kaelac%E2%80%99s-guide-to-damage-tenacity-reisistance-and-debuffs-in-neverwinter/#2

The main question here is, did u test this on Mod6 instead of posting obsolete values found on an old Mod? The test server has reworked basically everything, so it would be nice if u can provide accurate data for what is being tested rigth now instead of sticking to old formulas.
    edited February 2015

Nope. What you say is simply false. With 0 Arpen and no other RI source, you would get reduced by full DR if your debuffs 'works' like you decribed.
    edited February 2015
    Nope. What you say is simply false. With 0 Arpen and no other RI source, you would get reduced by full DR if your debuffs 'works' like you decribed.
    OK. If you have 0 RI and you hit a player your damage is reduced by their effective DR percent. If they have no debuffs on them your damage will be reduced by their full DR. If you have a debuffing enchant then their Defence stat will be reduced and their DR will be lower as a result but will still apply. This is why RI is way more efficient against players than debuff enchants - it directly ignores DR.

If you want to show me some evidence that it works differently then I'm happy to take a look at it. At the moment all you've come up with is 'it doesn't work that way because I say so' which is kinda hard to discuss sensibly.
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Darquess - Soulbinder
    edited February 2015
    tomiotar wrote: »
    The main question here is, did u test this on Mod6 instead of posting obsolete values found on an old Mod? The test server has reworked basically everything, so it would be nice if u can provide accurate data for what is being tested rigth now instead of sticking to old formulas.
    I haven't seen anything in the patch notes that says they've fundamentally changed the damage formulae or the way DR works. I also haven't seen anything in game that seems different either. Values have been changed and stat curves are different above L60 but nothing has been mentioned about a change in the DR mechanic itself. Unless I've missed something? Which is entirely possible.
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • mirlegrismirlegris Member Posts: 309 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    A lot of things are not in patch notes ( DS ninja nerf ? ). We need tests. If stats are rework, maybe formulaes too.
  • windquakewindquake Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 134 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    candinho2 wrote: »
    Power is going to be nerfed aswell, ppl wont get insane damage anymore because the power now is alot weaker, need 8k power for just 10% damage bonus, so ppl with 11~13k will get max 16~17% damage bonus, down from 50~60%.
    If ArP dint got buffed, players cant even kill mobs due to higher damage resistence and player lack of power bonus.
    If you are now able to have 10k power 4k crit 3k Arp and 2k recovery in "avg"(better) gear still not BiS, then if you basicly double those numbers =(20k power 8k crit 6k ArP 4k recovery) then those are the numbers you will get as fresh 70. So all you need is to get ArP cap and you can still go after crit and power + dont forget I am talking about "fresh" gear not even close to BiS you have right now. Crafted weapon has around 2,5* more stats then artifact rank 60. So its not double but almost triple stats then you have right now. As my friend said around rank 80 your artifact will catch to the crafted weapon which means you still have 40 more rank to increase your power which may end as up to 4* or even 5* more stats then your correct weapon has. If you think it over even if it would be only "double" then people with 12k power would have 24k power ( and there is where multiple classes in group goes in) (paladin increase your power by x%, temp warlock increase your power by x%,cw x%...etc) in the end you may end with 40k power in 70lvl bis (or more) and have the same %dmg bonus as you have right now.