test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Poll - support for the penalty of leaving pvp

tbhdk2tbhdk2 Member Posts: 78
edited February 2015 in General Discussion (PC)
I am pretty tired of being forced to waste time in pvp matches that cannot be won, where every time you are leaving the campfire you are being chased by minimum 3 opponents and got zero chance of capturing any point before a zerg gang arrive to eliminate you.

I used to just go out and die - but it happens way to often that a fight is totally off balance for it to be fun in the long run. So here we are jumping on the campfire - checking the ah and just waiting and waiting.

So I really wonder how many like me would like to see the leavers penalty either changed or gone?
Post edited by tbhdk2 on

Comments

• kythostkythost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Or even better, vote to resign match needing 3 of 5 votes.
  • oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Fix the matchmaking system and these issues might go away. I support the penalty if you leave.

I would support a faster point count when all 3 points are captured and I would support making sure there are either 2 possible spawn points, or 2 exists to each spawn. There should not be any way to lock down or camp people.
  • frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Solution: /surrender
    It's something I despise when overused, but some times things are just demoralising in which case you should have to play
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    There is nothing wrong with the penalty, in theory. The problem is that you have bugs with people kicking etc. Fix that and the penalty problem gets better.
  • jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Honestly?
    While I hate the Penalty, I hated the constant stream of Leavers even more.
    People Grief Leaving on winning teams during close matches.
    At least if I'm being stomped I can pay attention to what the Stompers are doing and maybe learn something from them.
    The Surrender Vote (requiring 3/5) might work.
    I say put it through on a trial basis (a guaranteed 3 month stint, then a review to decide if it will be permanent).

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • fantasycharacterfantasycharacter Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 675 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    tbhdk2 wrote: »
    I am pretty tired of being forced to waste time in pvp matches that cannot be won, where every time you are leaving the campfire you are being chased by minimum 3 opponents and got zero chance of capturing any point before a zerg gang arrive to eliminate you.

I used to just go out and die - but it happens way to often that a fight is totally off balance for it to be fun in the long run. So here we are jumping on the campfire - checking the ah and just waiting and waiting.

So I really wonder how many like me would like to see the leavers penalty either changed or gone?

PvP before the leavers penalty was:

- go in match.
    -if not winning within first fifty points -leave
    - don't like someone on team -leave
    -grief a winning team -leave

-Then once someone left it created a hole that the system had to fill. So even when you left a poopy match you would go into a cycle of entering half finished matches (always on losers side cuz that is the side with leavers).

-Then After about 10 half done matches you get into a good match again...then someone on your team or the lother team leaves for whatever trivial reason.

So, it may not be perfect but since it's implementation at least most people try.
  • godlysoul2godlysoul2 Member Posts: 661 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2015
    The only reason the leaver penalty is a problem at the moment is because of kicking abuse. I definitely think it should stay as it is as long as they fix the kicking. It is not too long to wait out a match if you know you cannot win and do not wish to try. However, a team vote forfeit option could be implemented if that is the issue you have with the system and others feel it is an issue as well.
  • zoiks100zoiks100 Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The leaver penalty overall is fine, though I'd like to see vote kicking implemented in pvp and the penalty should be changed to being the length of the match. In other words, as soon as you enter the queued instance your ACCOUNT receives a debuff which prevent queueing for anything until that instance is completed/removed, so you leave early you can't queue again until that match ends.

But the leaver penalty isn't the real problem, it's the way pvp has been designed in this game.

Personally here's what I think should happen.

First, fix the damned queue already. This is the ONLY MMO I've ever played where they can't get the queue to backfill when someone leaves, whether intentionally leaving or unintentional.

Second, change the gameplay mechanics to actually promote competitive play. Only reward players who actively compete, not just for sitting at the campfire or botting a path between nodes. Stop coddling players, if they don't want to compete, they shouldn't be queueing for pvp in the first place. This also means reworking the gameplay of pvp so that it isn't solely a gear score comparison, this means things like buffing the losing side so that they have a chance of making a comeback.

Third, introduce NEW gameplay, new maps, new modes, new types of battles. Capture the flag, tower defense, battle arena, dueling, companion battles, tag team, content races, etc. And then give these tools to the foundry users, like was originally planned anyway.
    Don't Panic.
    airplane-2-o.gif
    Okay, Panic.
  • tbhdk2tbhdk2 Member Posts: 78
    edited February 2015
    godlysoul2 wrote: »
    The only reason the leaver penalty is a problem at the moment is because of kicking abuse. I definitely think it should stay as it is as long as they fix the kicking. It is not too long to wait out a match if you know you cannot win and do not wish to try. However, a team vote forfeit option could be implemented if that is the issue you have with the system and others feel it is an issue as well.

Well that really depends on how many matches you lose in a row - I had a long streak of losses yesterday earning about the same amount of glory I spend on pvp potions during pvp event hour.

Since Elo cant make balanced matches right now - they seem pretty rare - the forced stay or penalty is really an annoyance and made me waste a couple of hours yesterday.

And to add insult to injury - I lost connection at the end at the match I did actually win and was no 1 in. So just managed to come back to a no reward screen and a 50 pages drop on leaderboard.

But I have to admit that it was really bad when people left for no good reason.

Still I stick with wanting the penalty gone or atleast lowered considerable - like to 10 minutes or so.
  • noetic2noetic2 Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Could care less if a guy leaves when my team is getting trounced. The thing I hate above anything else in creation is a guy who abandons my group when we are WINNING. Seems like the penalty should be greater for that.
  • azahronazahron Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    There should always be a penalty for ditching a match, otherwise people would just re-queue constantly until they got the perfect winning team. Something I've seen on MMOs that didn't (initially) have a leaver's penalty.
    That being said, I learned early on not to bother with Neverwinter's PvP. It's always been grossly unbalanced, and the kicking system entirely ridiculous.

I remember when the game launched how people would constantly kick GWFs, GFs and other "undesirables" from PvP matches solely based on class. These various poorly thought out systems, that are highly exploited by the douchier elements of the community (of which there are a lot in game sadly) have always been what ensured that my stays on Neverwinter are always short ones.
    Although I have to admit that the devs are learning. I was honestly surprised to find there's no BS mechanic in Tiamat that allows lowlifes to screw other players over.
    Artificer.jpg
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    azahron wrote: »
    There should always be a penalty for ditching a match, otherwise people would just re-queue constantly until they got the perfect winning team. Something I've seen on MMOs that didn't (initially) have a leaver's penalty.
    That being said, I learned early on not to bother with Neverwinter's PvP. It's always been grossly unbalanced, and the kicking system entirely ridiculous.

I remember when the game launched how people would constantly kick GWFs, GFs and other "undesirables" from PvP matches solely based on class. These various poorly thought out systems, that are highly exploited by the douchier elements of the community (of which there are a lot in game sadly) have always been what ensured that my stays on Neverwinter are always short ones.
    Although I have to admit that the devs are learning. I was honestly surprised to find there's no BS mechanic in Tiamat that allows lowlifes to screw other players over.

If you think Tiamat improved anything, in any way shape or form, you have no common ground with most players.
  • rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2015
    azahron wrote: »

You're kidding right?
  • azahronazahron Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    charononus wrote: »
    If you think Tiamat improved anything, in any way shape or form, you have no common ground with most players.

Thank you. That is quite the comforting thought. ;)
    Artificer.jpg
  • ebonyshadowebonyshadow Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The ban isn't the problem, if the matchmaking wasn't throwing 10k-14k teams against teams full of 20k-24k GS so much (From what I have experienced, a majority of the time, but maybe I've been unlucky?) then there would be no reason to leave or even sit by the campfire. If I think I have a hope in hell then I keep fighting, but I am not going to provide gank fodder for a team of folks close to twice as geared. I don't live out of daddys wallet, I have bills to pay and can't throw £100's of pounds into it just to get geared, so it is slow, sure and PVE for me.

I'v never been the most PVP oriented player, but I did (Here and elsewhere) used to indulge a little.... But the way things are currently, that little has gone to virtually none existant... I'v had one match in the last couple of months where the teams where reasonably even and it was a good close hard fought match, the other 8 or 9 times I've played, I'v been the highest on my team, or one of the highest, whilst the other team has maybe has a single player lower than 20k GS.... when it is that one sided, there simply isn't any point, you are just a moving target that has next to no chance of even seriously damaging one of the other team before you get flatlined, usually one shotted.

No point, not fun and frankly there are better things to do with my time. PvP currently = pay v pay more, so I leave it to those already geared or those who buy their way to BiS in order to be on the other side of that divide.

Sort that problem with a decent matchmaking system before looking at how to prevent leavers and AFKers... but removing the penalty is just making a problem for IF that ever gets sorted.