test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Idea for greater reward for pvping.

rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
edited February 2015 in PvP Discussion
pvp may be imbalanced.
pvp is still fun.
everyone want to pvp a couple of hours a week.
PvP gives glory.
Everyone get glory.

why not introduce as reward (paying glory ofc) blue marks (union, power, stability 3-4k glory each), refining points (70-80 glory/peridot), greater mark of potencies (10k-15k glory each) ?
new module will ask us to farm all these things while someone is not really into pve grinding.
Even pve people would be helped by this. Everything bound of course, we dont want to speculate with it.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• godlysoul2godlysoul2 Member Posts: 661 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2015
    There are many PvP-ers want to PvP that don't care for PvE as well as many PvE-ers that don't care for PvP. The problem is that right now the game only caters to the latter since there is nowhere near equivalent character progression to be earned from participating in PvP for hours as there is to participating in PvE for hours.

This is completely backwards. In PvE one could get by very easily with very sub-par gear/enchants/artifacts. In PvP it is the opposite. Why then, are we not able to give progression for participating in PvP when it plays such a crucial role and when there are many individuals who are opposed to PvE?
  • vinceent1vinceent1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,264 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    i thing they are afraid of bots. but there must be solid solution, only want to try a find
  • rubens14rubens14 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    This would be great now that non-pvp gear is suitable for pvp, mainly the equipments artifacts. And they need to be upgraded.
    But this is a far far away dream.
    They dont give chance of farming in pve as a way of making profits. Imagine doing it in pvp.
    And this would result in a bunch of not geared/non experienced people start doing pvp, what would require more of the matchmaking system. Work for devs.
    But a good idea of course.
    Listen to the words of experience.
  • fantasycharacterfantasycharacter Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 675 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The problem with marks is they may be bound but they are used to make desireable unbound items. So, you would get more botting, even though they are bound.

Would love to see greater rewards though.
  • rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The problem with marks is they may be bound but they are used to make desireable unbound items. So, you would get more botting, even though they are bound.

yes i thought about that too late, i had already click to post..
    the point still stands....pvp needs some kind of reward that gives a sense of progression ...
    sometimes after 2-3 hours i start to think....maybe it would have been better to farm sharandar a bit for dragon hoard drops.
    edited February 2015

I'm sure there is a solution to this. The reason we do not see this in PvE is because dungeons allow for kicking unlike PvP. If there was a way to better evaluate performance in PvP it would be an obvious indicator of who was a bot or not, but the way the point system is currently set up it doesn't accurately depict it.

A cool solution would be to have it just generate character specific RP value from matches which could be used only for that character. Those RP points could be put into any enchants, artifact gear, artifacts, ect. that the character currently has equipped/slotted, but then upon removal the character RP points are removed (possibly with a portion or all of the value returned to the characters RP value). It solves the progression & botting problem, but unfortunately still doesn't give PvP-ers a viable way to gain income like PvE-ers. Also this solution is probably too complex for them to consider implementing, but it could work.

Another possibility is to have the PvP reward be bound refining materials that can only be used for artifacts or artifact equipment since these will remain character bound. Similar result as the above except you could not use it for enchantment progression, but this would be a fantastic, very helpful starting point.

At some point they need to wake up and do something though. Every game has bots, but as long as most of them are gone no one cares. Most games achieve this. I fail to see why Neverwinter cannot implement anti-botting measures good enough to at least stop designing their content based on its potential to be botted.
  • rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2015
    Can they at least allow glory to be used to refine your artifacts? You can't sell or trade glory.
    edited February 2015
    Can they at least allow glory to be used to refine your artifacts? You can't sell or trade glory.

Yeah, haha. Forget what I said, it doesn't even need to be a refining stone. Just make glory usable to refine artifacts/artifact equipment since the currency and the artifacts/gear will remain character bound.
  • caexarcaexar Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited February 2015

If we are talking PvP items only that can be refined then sure. Otherwise I'd say no thanks. That makes it far too easy on PvP compared to the amount of pve effort that would be necessary.

PvP is an afterthought and will likely always be just that.
    Threat level 60 Guardian Fighter
    Gloom level 60 Control Wizard
    Dusk level 60 Trickster Rogue
    Dawn level 60 Devoted Cleric
    Eclipse level 60 Hunter Ranger
    Wrath level 60 Great Weapon Fighter
    Jinx level 60 Scourge Warlock
  • pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    It's not "hating on PVP" to note the obvious: PVP *is* an afterthought in this game (the two maps that we had were only added during the last few weeks of open beta), and it *will* likely always be that, as we have seen with each new mod, the overwhelming amount of resources are devoted to PVE compared to PVP.

My cynical opinion is that the only reason PVP exists in this game is to subsidize PVE by milking cash from the hyper-competitive "I will smash your face in" set that seems to derive sick pleasure from roflstomping newbs.

What irritates me the most is the entitlement mentality arising from the PVP crowd which thinks that PVP and PVE ought to receive equal footing. Umm, no it shouldn't.
  • theevilskeevertheevilskeever Member Posts: 31
    edited February 2015
    pointsman wrote: »
    My cynical opinion is that the only reason PVP exists in this game is to subsidize PVE by milking cash from the hyper-competitive "I will smash your face in" set that seems to derive sick pleasure from roflstomping newbs.

You know, considering the fact that PvP community is rather small, it sounds unlikely that they subsidize anyone. Probably PvE players pay for themselves with mounts, slots, companions, wards etc. Also, if PvP was such a large moneymaker, wouldn't Cryptic provide more of this type of content? Dual spec, large assortment of PvP gear, PvP zones, duels, PvP heroics - instead of boring daily grind zones? I agree with the rest of your post.
    edited February 2015
    caexar wrote: »
    If we are talking PvP items only that can be refined then sure.

If there are BIS PVP-only artifacts and gear then sure.
    caexar wrote: »
    That makes it far too easy on PvP compared to the amount of pve effort that would be necessary.

Only because we have a horribly grindy and awful refinement system in place right now. I actually suggested something that could improve it.
  • samothrace22samothrace22 Member Posts: 359 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Id be happy with RP from pvp, and definitely more fashion/transmutes/titles ^.^
    ────────────────────────────
    SAMOTHRACE
    Trickster Rogue
    ────────────────────────────
  • query523query523 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    This all seems a little odd to me. I remember not too long ago people asking to take the PVP quests out because too many PVEers were showing up in matchmaking and ruining their team. I mean I PVP for fun and challenge. That's the reward I want. People react to incentives. If there are real rewards for PVP content then a lot of people who don't really like PVP will PVP. I PVPed terribadly on PVE toons that I wanted Ravenskull on. I suppose there will be some ROFLPwns to be had at stomping them (whenever matchmaking sets you on the right team) I'm pretty sure that overall it would make PVP worse. Do I think RP rewards are a bad idea? Not really. Circumstantially they might be useless if L70 gear turns out to be better than artifact gear. I guess my point is that if PVP rewards are comparable to PVE rewards it leads to really really really awful PVP because people will que just to grind. I PVP because I don't want to grind.
    edited February 2015
    pointsman wrote: »
    It's not "hating on PVP" to note the obvious: PVP *is* an afterthought in this game (the two maps that we had were only added during the last few weeks of open beta), and it *will* likely always be that, as we have seen with each new mod, the overwhelming amount of resources are devoted to PVE compared to PVP.

What irritates me the most is the entitlement mentality arising from the PVP crowd which thinks that PVP and PVE ought to receive equal footing. Umm, no it shouldn't.

We can at least push for it since it is a game definitely with potential to be much more PvP oriented. Look to the Russian server. Either way though, you are correct. This is why most of the top PvP-ers have already left and the ones that are still sticking around are simply waiting for releases of games with similar combat/progression systems but more attention to PvP (Black Desert Online, Skyfroge, Blade and Soul). The only problem is there is no other game currently released that has quite a the same vibe which also includes a strong PvP community/attention to PvP/ PvP balance... Not that Neverwinter has these criteria. We recognize that Neverwinter is bad. It is just simply there is nothing good for PvP players out there at the moment. These ones do look promising though, which means in the not so distant future we will all be out of your hair :)
  • noetic2noetic2 Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I may be wasting my time, but I am currently putting aside Glory just in case there is worthwhile PvP gear for Mod 6. Don't quite understand this talk about adding refining points. Blood Crystal Raven Skull can be bought with Glory and the last time I checked, was worth 7500 refining points. Not much, but better than nothing.
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    rayrdan wrote: »
    pvp may be imbalanced.
    pvp is still fun.
    everyone want to pvp a couple of hours a week.
    PvP gives glory.
    Everyone get glory.

why not introduce as reward (paying glory ofc) blue marks (union, power, stability 3-4k glory each), refining points (70-80 glory/peridot), greater mark of potencies (10k-15k glory each) ?
    new module will ask us to farm all these things while someone is not really into pve grinding.
    Even pve people would be helped by this. Everything bound of course, we dont want to speculate with it.

All that would happen with any reward system is that you'd get more bots showing up. I don't think you can add more rewards till the botting problem is eased. You can't ease the botting problem with the horrible RP system. They show no sign of fixing the RP system with how they're adding 40 more levels to artifacts and increasing enchants to rank 12.
    edited February 2015
    macjae wrote: »
    Um, first, it's a waste to refine the base-level Skull; refine it to level 59 first, then put it in something else, and it'll be worth 600k RP for a 300k RP investment (+ some marks).

Second, the refinement points from Skulls and banners only work in regular artifacts, not in artifact equipment, nor in enchantments. That's what people are missing; a way to advance that gear through PvP.

Glad someone actually used his brain before bringing up the blood crystal artifact. Easy strawman to conquer.
  • rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    macjae wrote: »
    They can add rewards that the bots can't take advantage of. If you can buy BoP refining stones that go into artifact gear that's character-bound, botting it won't turn a profit. And if people bot for it on their own main characters? They can get reported and banned, or have their stuff reset to 0.

The can give all the rp they want without bots until botting pvp becomes more profitable than botting in pve.