test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New DC player with pve / pvp questions

ezbeats1ezbeats1 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
edited February 2015 in The Temple
I am awaiting NWO for xbox1, never played it on PC. I played world of Warcraft for a very long time, looking for something a but more casual. I have tried to research what I can from forums and videos.

I'm looking to play a DC, what races are best for pvp? I've heard halfling is the best. What are some competitive options?

People have been saying DC as healers are unnecessary in NWO pve. How true is this? Does this change mod to mod somewhat?

People have also been stating NWO pve is trivial and easy, making me think to spec for pvp and still be able to clear pve content. I was always a strong healer in Warcraft, used to play a disc priest mainly.

Any ex warcraft players that can touch on how a DC class may relate in NWO to a healer from WoW? Feel free to be specific. :)

Thanks for any input!
Post edited by ezbeats1 on

Comments

• herundrionherundrion Member Posts: 238 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    PvP: Halfling is best, yeah. You can also try Dwarf for better stat distribution, but that 10% CC reduction from Halfling is nice. Similarly, Half-Elf provides good stat distribution too at the cost of that CC reduction.
    and, of course, Dragonborn or Human always works.
    Main thing to focus on with ability scores is Con and Wis - more heals and more HP. Some people max Dex too, but deflect is too much RNG compared to straight-up strong heals (which you will want). Going Halfling you lose 2 points in Wis, but you get CC reduction. Did I mention CC reduction is nice? yeah, it is.

PvE: Just anything that gives you Wis/Cha. Going for Str/Wis if you're into DPS. However, there's no race that gives you that (except for Dragonborn), so you might be stuck just going Human.
    Or get some Wis/Cha starting rolls, but max Str/Wis while leveling.

PvE might become less trivial with Mod6 (I don't know when/how it will translate to Xbox). Properly played DPS cleric can provide healing/protection for a weak team; and outDPS most strong teams. Full-blown Healer DC will just help weak teams and sorta help strong teams.

Main thing is that feats for a DPS Cleric provide damage boost - and that's the name of the PvE game for now. Healing DCs provide defensive boosts for the most part (aside from built-in damage boost via Divine Glow/etc.), which is the name of the game for PvP.

Never played WoW, so no clue. My friends are saying that we might move into that direction in Mod6, where healing might become crucial in PvE. In either case, everything but your class is respeccable (race reroll, full respec, feat respec), so you might as well just go DPS for now.

IMHO:
    Going for PvP you will need a lot of grindy gear - Profound Set (maybe a month) or BI set (who knows how long), and full rank 7+ enchantments (costly), plus artifact weapons/belts/necks (and refining them to purple will take forever).
    If you have any less than all that, it will be a frustrating experience; and even if you have all that it will be painful. Your best bet will be to find a buddy or two (preferably TR or CW) and just duo que all day.
    Who knows what it will be in mod 6.
    Co-Founder of -Valor-
    vih2r9.png
  • g0dfr3yg0dfr3y Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Herundrion answered everything else, so...

A DC is not a WoW priest. Closer to a shaman as far as armor goes (but no shield, unfortunately). Also, not as strong a healer as a WoW priest; this is an action MMO, so it's hard to target individual heals. You are more of an AOE healer, and more of a buffer / debuffer than a healer really.
  • tyrtallowtyrtallow Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 747 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    DCs also need to constantly attack/move around to power up their abilities (dailies, empowered encounters) and are more like Final Fantasy XIV healers in that they all have some offensive potential. The playstyle is very different from that of any WoW support class. DCs do specialize in buffing/debuffing as much as healing/mitigation, as mentioned.
    Every race is a competitive alternative to Halfling. Lots of people agree that Halflings/Dragonborns get amazing racial bonuses but feel free to treat the "best race for a (insert class here)" question exactly the same way as you would treat it in WoW.

As a WoW player you should be familiar with the typical MMO grind. Getting top gear in Neverwinter is nowhere near as difficult or time consuming, mind you, though you might get stuck using rank 8-9 enchants for a while. Luckily, enchantments aren't bound.
    The thing about PvP atm is that domination PvP queues do not take gear into account. The lack of support for less geared combatants (there are no subquests to do and the maps are pretty small - in the end domination PvP is mostly just fighting/capturing points) makes PvP a nightmare for many people here in the PC servers.
    Anyway that should not be the case in the Xbox version. You might still have a few people willing to pay their way to the top on your side, but our servers have been up for almost two years now so we have a LOT more overgeared people running around. It remains to be seen how Gauntlgrym/IWD plays out for you Xbox players.
    You there. New to the game? Feeling overwhelmed? Maybe you think getting to end-game is impossible for a casual player like yourself, or maybe you just need to be around a community that helps each other stay sane and competitive with the latest news, current trends, random chitchat and most of all LEGIT (that is, we try to keep things fair) gameplay. If you don't mind being around quirky people and the rare occasional drama (one of our prominent TR members is apparently a mafia godfather) join nw_legit_community at http://www.nwlegitcommunity.shivtr.com/forum_threads/2330542.
  • kazearimorikazearimori Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    As some of the above posters suggested, DC is very different from the ones you see at WoW. It does offer a little bit of similarity like WoW in terms of distinction of the cleric with the 3 trees, akin to WoW's holy, disc, shadow.
    But don't read too much into it as it's not that complex.
    The basic stuff like PW:S has something similar here like Astral Shield for eg.

I do see a big impact coming mod6 if you are really thinking of playing DC here since stat curve changes would most probably render the DPS tree out of the picture literally. Why so? One of the key sparks to the damage requires critical hits to activate.
    With the new stat curves, it will be extremely difficult to push critical stat above 15%.
    That's not all, entering past the preliminary random groupings, opponents starting to spot tenacity gears further impairs this inadequacy. A 20% tenacity value is easily attained. This means you won't be critting at all if you have low crit %.
    If you are pure support, there's still chance to play. DR% is almost non existent, but the faithful tree I guess will still provide a good lifeline. That's if play a pure heal fascinates you. I didn't enjoy it one bit although it's really hard to be killed. (you can't kill s*** too like holy priest >.>)

Long story short, if you are expecting huge entertainment like arena fights in WoW, it will not happen here. Maps are <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> and not many options, and mechanics of class are totally screwed to oblivion in many ways thinkable.
    Granted, I was only a 2k sub rating arena level when playing WoW quite a few years back, but that was still way more fun than here.
  • tyrtallowtyrtallow Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 747 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Xbox players are lucky then. By the time PvP starts to get interesting for them mod6 will likely have already landed, so their PvP experience will be different. Better or worse, it will definitely be different.
    Anyway I highly doubt any of the mod6 changes in place in preview are final. It never works out that way.
    You there. New to the game? Feeling overwhelmed? Maybe you think getting to end-game is impossible for a casual player like yourself, or maybe you just need to be around a community that helps each other stay sane and competitive with the latest news, current trends, random chitchat and most of all LEGIT (that is, we try to keep things fair) gameplay. If you don't mind being around quirky people and the rare occasional drama (one of our prominent TR members is apparently a mafia godfather) join nw_legit_community at http://www.nwlegitcommunity.shivtr.com/forum_threads/2330542.
  • kazearimorikazearimori Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    tyrtallow wrote: »
    Xbox players are lucky then. By the time PvP starts to get interesting for them mod6 will likely have already landed, so their PvP experience will be different. Better or worse, it will definitely be different.
    Anyway I highly doubt any of the mod6 changes in place in preview are final. It never works out that way.

I really hope not too.
    Not an extreme min/maxer myself but I did customize my gear stats in a way to try to get a good possible combo (with the current dimR charts)
    All that will go right out the window with the dawn of mod6.
  • suicidalgodotsuicidalgodot Member Posts: 2,465 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Re. Races, especially PvP:

The Dwarves in theory have a "vertical challenge advantage" buff :^) - which means that they will get back on their feet faster than others. In practice, this apparently doesn't work so well, plus a DoT resistance, which also might or might not work. So Halfling be the way. Might get fixed with Mod 6, though...

I'm personally running a DPS Half-Ellf DC, which is really good for killing stuff in both PvP as PvE - but has a naughty tendency to "go back to base" in PvP. Or in two words - a glass cannon.

There are quite some PvP-specced, ofc highly geared, ultra-tough DCs, kind of the unkillable power packs of the group. When they're part of a well-organised group, or when they're paired, it's nigh impossible to kill them. When they're alone they still require either a high spike damage char's crit or a coordinated effort of two or more players to get sent back. Several of those I saw so far were Dwarves.