test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What is the purpose of the Scourge Warlock in PvE and PvP?

ogariousogarious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
With the changes to Lifesteal the days of us being a useful healer look to be pretty much over. We will not be able to use the temptation build in a group for dungeons to keep the rest of our party alive VIA the lifesteal ability and the Temptation Capstone...

Also using Lifesteal, along with Warlock's Bargain will not allow us to steal enough health in PvP to outlast a enemy beating on us. Now granted we can still use Killing Flames and Soul Scorch when we have enough pips for it. But our survivability in PvP is not going to be improved with any of the changes coming with Mod 6. We have no abilities that allow us to break control effects unlike the rogue, or Great Weapon Fighter. We are still outdamage by Control Wizards, we are out controlled by all classes, and we have less survivability then the guardian fighter.

So what is the plan, how do we make this class viable in the already brutal PvP market?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ogariousogarious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I guess the lack of a answer says it all.
  • tomiotartomiotar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    PVE= strong DD
    PVP= free kill

The only change from Mod5 is that now they can't heal so u dont have to worry about different builds, u HAVE to make it Fury as u get nothing from temptation nor damnation.
  • rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    They're still a solid ranged DPS class. Until we see what the final form of the changes will be (this is the first preview patch for th mod, there will be others) it's hard to make a fair assessment. A fury build that stacks defense is still going to be a beast in PvE, just as a temptation build with AD is now.
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.

• rottersrotters Member Posts: 214 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    your kidding right...Fury hellbringer here, we own PVE content right now. no one comes near us in dps. in PVP we are very strong offensively, but defensively we are the weakest class right now.

Tabatha
    18.3 SW

Tabatha@rotters // Scourge Warlock // Co Leader // Civil Anarchy

Part of the -Fabled- Alliance

We are looking for non elitist guilds to join our alliance.
    edited January 2015
    tomiotar wrote: »
    PVE= strong DD
    PVP= free kill

The only change from Mod5 is that now they can't heal so u dont have to worry about different builds, u HAVE to make it Fury as u get nothing from temptation nor damnation.

Then why even bother to have other options with the class? And honestly Fury with creeping death doesnt do that much extra damage over temptation. With the old set I was useful in a dungeon as a healer as well as a damage dealer, and at first they were going to lower the healing so that clerics were not outclasses by a profession that was suppose to be a secondary healer, but instead they made clerics the mad damage dealers and didnt go through with the changes to us. So now instead they're vaping our lifesteal into unreliability. I just cant get a grasp on what direction they want us to go in. Creeping Death isnt as awesome of a capstone as everyone seems to think it is. Most of our best abilities dont even work with it.
  • thilidrichbthilidrichb Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I didnt really want to post anything on forums but i decided to not just stand and watch.

I am playing SW from the very first days it became possible to play, untill that time i am only playing it.
    I have outruned in DPS many good CWs (good by skill and by character) in various dungeons. Played pure Fury for a long time, played both paragon paths, now i am stuck at Soulbinder Healer as its good for PVP + helping new players in my guild.

SW is good enough when it comes to PVE but PVP, oh come on... we should get a huge boost in defense so that we could actually fight on atleast equal terms. We have a poor control, no resist to it, no dodges and more then 70% of our skills are useless, even at PVP we dont really heal that much.

Please think about it and make atleast tiny improve in our defense.

Cheers, Asuna.
  • vasdamasvasdamas Member Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    ogarious wrote: »
    And honestly Fury with creeping death doesnt do that much extra damage over temptation. it.
    Have you ever had a moment when you're reading OP's comment on his/her own thread and then your eyes come across cross some statement and you're like - *Points* "Stopped reading at this!". 23k you said?

Joke aside, I have yet to meet a CW that can outperform my HB Fury in PvE, I just hate that we are so pushed to use Tyrannical Threat <.< And when it comes to PvP, I would not say I am a free kill after I respec'd to SB Fury and spread my stats for more defense. I don't argue whever SW is fine in PvP, I only say SW can be a power if played right. Just wish we could roll full tanky and be able to melt 45k HP GWFs in a matter of seconds like some other beloved ever-pseudonerfed caster class can.
    edited January 2015
    Well, to answer that I will say this. In GG with a soulbinder fury build I can dish out some very nice damage. But the second someone notices me, I am dead. Running 2300 defense (roughly) and around 1400 Deflect (also roughly) with around 42k hitpoints and If I end up going after the wrong rogue or CW Even with getting a full rotation in they just turn around and melt me. Switching over to Hellbringer even with a fury build makes me useless in PvP. And I've respect'd my character around 11 times so far trying to find a good build for PvP because that's pretty much all that is left for me to do. It's all my guild pretty much does anymore with the content we have at hand. And unless I want to switch to rogue or cleric or to a lesser point CW, I am just a hindrance and a free kill to the team I am on. And in domination I am less then useless. Cant hold a point, cant assault a point unless I get real lucky and come upon someone not knowing what they're doing or around 11k GS. I've busted my butt to get legendary gear and to get my stats where they are. And the build should be more then viable, and it isnt. Which makes it a class issue.

People can see most of my attacks coming a mile away. That is one of two main problems, the second being that I just dont have anything at all to help me with control effects. Plus the 2 control effects that I have take a year to use and dont work with fury at all, they both do fire damage not necrotic damage (Which is what our fury capstone needs for the extra damage)
  • vteasyvteasy Member Posts: 708 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    ^^you just did
  • critorisauruscritorisaurus Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The class is alright in PVE, it's just not as fun as it could be because TT is clunky, but it's our best daily. You have to cast it, then wait 5 seconds for the animation, then curse your targets, then start casting spells. And once you start casting spells it's gone a few seconds after, or your team has already killed the mobs. You should be able to curse targets first, then when you cast TT your curse turns into TT, so you can cast other spells right away without having to curse them again. Aside from that I liked PVE as an SW.

PVP is a completely different story, more like a nightmare. SW was never given the proper polish pass that it needed. Lots of spells need to cast faster, CWs got a casting speed increase to be able to deal with TRs. But SWs spells are even slower then CW spells were before their buff. It's crazy that Cryptic hasn't realized that and given SW a similar increase.

They need to rework several powers that are useless. They need to add more survivability in PVP. And from looking at the mod 6 changes, none of this is happening. There's one new class feature that will add 10% less dmg taken and 3% life steal if you're below 50% hp. But to use it you'd have to swap out an existing class feature, so the difference will be negligible. There's one new tempt feat that will occasionally add 20% movement speed. So we might be able to run away a little better then in mod 5. But with PVP being based around holding nodes, being able to run away might save your life, but you won't be winning matches that way. This leaves SWs in the same state that they've been in since they were introduced. A free kill for any competent player in PVP.

It's really sad because the class is so close to being really fun to play. The slow cast animations and the lack of any kind of defense just kills everything else that's good about the class.
  • candinho2candinho2 Member Posts: 550 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    rotters wrote: »
    your kidding right...Fury hellbringer here, we own PVE content right now. no one comes near us in dps. in PVP we are very strong offensively, but defensively we are the weakest class right now.

Tabatha
    18.3 SW

Well a TR can outdps your with or without TT, they just need to want to dps. I1ve went on a CN run when a TR did over 40m damage and even i spawning TT at all encounters i couln't get close to he's dps
  • katbozejziemikatbozejziemi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    There never was one, SW is just a worse CW, like many people said it would be.
    candinho2 wrote: »
    Well a TR can outdps your with or without TT, they just need Shadow of Demise
    Fixed that for you.
    edited January 2015

Fixed that for you.

Thank you sir xD
  • vasdamasvasdamas Member Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited January 2015

Fixed that for you.

Perhaps CWs need to be tonned down...a lil.

Oh well, I can dream on.
  • skinlikewinterskinlikewinter Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I haven't played an SW since it first came out but i would suggest that the curse that SWs can place on enemies, could heal the SW when the SW attacks the cursed target..

So have it work like the DCs Astral Seal, but only heals the SW who placed it, attacks that target, and not heal any others. Maybe downgrade the amount it heals as well.
    I show player support, by only playing Neverwinter as F2P
  • mehguy138mehguy138 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I haven't played an SW since it first came out but i would suggest that the curse that SWs can place on enemies, could heal the SW when the SW attacks the cursed target..

So have it work like the DCs Astral Seal, but only heals the SW who placed it, attacks that target, and not heal any others. Maybe downgrade the amount it heals as well.

You don't understand the problem. The problem, is that SW, especially in PvP, can't avoid being burst from 100 to 0. You can't outheal such extreme damage like what TRs, CWs, DCs and HRs are capable of doing. The only way to win is to kill them before you die. Here lies another problem - every class can put their CC first, because SW's cast times are too long. And there's another problem - you have no burst without daily. If you start a fight from zero, you're doomed. No amount of healing would save you. The only way to drastically improve SW's performance without overbuffing them is to give them proper dodging shift mechanics. At least this way, you will have a chance to dodge incoming burst combo and win some time before attacking your opponent, because now, even shifting, you lose half you your HP from a few encounter hits.
    M6 almost drains your soul given how boring it is. (c) joocycuzzzzzz
    edited January 2015
    vasdamas wrote: »
    Perhaps CWs need to be tonned down...a lil.

Oh well, I can dream on.

Maybe instead of toning down the CW they should do something to help the SW.....

Water's fine here in *censured so this doesnt get removed for talking about other MMOs*

I do hope they fix my class so that I can come back, just sayin.
  • denvalddenvald Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 702 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    ogarious wrote: »
    Maybe instead of toning down the CW they should do something to help the SW.....

Water's fine here in *censured so this doesnt get removed for talking about other MMOs*

I do hope they fix my class so that I can come back, just sayin.

SW is the weakest class in pvp, but you can make it work if you know how. Sometimes it's hilarious to have people raging at you because you're sending everyone to their graves from up there... SW would be twice as good in pvp if their profound gear had the set bonus of accursed diabolist and not this ****ty 9% dmg boost on 20% lower hp lol.

If you want a good pvp class roll a wizard instead of waiting for someone to do something cause you're gunna wait a while, GFs been waiting since the game came out and they still didn't get the cookie just sayin
    I am the monk, martial skill transcends the battlefield
    It is my my life style, my doctrine and my state of mind,
    You fight well, but without focus and discipline, you will fall.

More threads by me / Click on it B)
    My Support Warlock/Temptation Thread
  • tomiotartomiotar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    IMO if they want a SW that can do any good on PVP the only thing they have to do is just giving control skills to the soul pet. That will force the attacker to kill first ur pet giving u time to use ur own skills and at same time suddenly the damnation path is going to be considered as a possibility and not just a bad joke. If u want dd then u pick fury, if u want to heal then u pick temptation, if u want pvp then u pick damnation, problem solved for SWs.
    edited January 2015
    denvald wrote: »
    SW is the weakest class in pvp, but you can make it work if you know how. Sometimes it's hilarious to have people raging at you because you're sending everyone to their graves from up there... SW would be twice as good in pvp if their profound gear had the set bonus of accursed diabolist and not this ****ty 9% dmg boost on 20% lower hp lol.

If you want a good pvp class roll a wizard instead of waiting for someone to do something cause you're gunna wait a while, GFs been waiting since the game came out and they still didn't get the cookie just sayin

Actually sir, your incorrect. My friend is playing his GF right now and he's in the top 30 pages of the leaderboard. He would be higher if it wasnt for all the people who are abusing the system, or kicking people, etc.

So saying suck it up and go play another class....no. Fix OUR class. If I wanted to trollcomp I'd just hop on my 16k TR and go kill the higher GS people.
  • masterjewstarmasterjewstar Member Posts: 563
    edited February 2015
    [IMO if they want a SW that can do any good on PVP the only thing they have to do is just giving control skills to the soul pet. That will force the attacker to kill first ur pet giving u time to use ur own skills and at same time suddenly the damnation path is going to be considered as a possibility and not just a bad joke.]

what if before the puppet goes away it holds the enemy its attacking for like 2 seconds and then dissipates and for the damnation sw it does this every 5 hits or even has a chance of happening each hit? This makes the puppet a control feature.
    edited February 2015
    [IMO if they want a SW that can do any good on PVP the only thing they have to do is just giving control skills to the soul pet. That will force the attacker to kill first ur pet giving u time to use ur own skills and at same time suddenly the damnation path is going to be considered as a possibility and not just a bad joke.]

what if before the puppet goes away it holds the enemy its attacking for like 2 seconds and then dissipates and for the damnation sw it does this every 5 hits or even has a chance of happening each hit? This makes the puppet a control feature.

Now I wouldnt mind the pet having a control feature, for the damnation path only though....

If your a fury or temptation build control features should be put into different powers that are viable for that class. But a simpler thing would be to take some of our abilities and add to them. We can curse 3 people. Put some sort of a control effect or a control immunity buff on the curses. I wack you with a curse, boom. Your stunned for 1 or 2 seconds. Or knocked down whatever.

If the TR can get a 25 foot stun EVERY time he goes into stealth, then why cant the SW have that?

Sometimes I wonder if different devs are working on the powers for each class, if so. I want a new dev for the SW.... :)
    edited February 2015
    Cursed Bite - pretty useless, no dmg at all, why not make that foes attacked by this get stunned for x seconds?

Pillar of Power - useless, why not make that when we stand inside it we get 80% dmg resistance?

Vampiric Embrace - the amound HP we got is way too low.

And there are more stuff useless for SW atm.
  • atriaratriar Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Cursed Bite - pretty useless, no dmg at all, why not make that foes attacked by this get stunned for x seconds?

Pillar of Power - useless, why not make that when we stand inside it we get 80% dmg resistance?

Vampiric Embrace - the amound HP we got is way too low.

And there are more stuff useless for SW atm.

Curse Bite - Preaty useful, necrotic encounter with so-so damage, can hit up to 3 targets even INIVSIBLE ones if they are cursed. For this ability recommended to use the Infernal Spheres encounter and the Vengeful Curse feat.

Pillar of Power - Yes useless at the moment. Make it cast like Hallowed Ground or Icy Terrain, so directly under the foot of the caster without targeting, and make the explosion part to prone OR daze the enemy it hit.

Vampiric Embrace - PvE wise this encounter rocks, in PvP the heal suppression kills it. Sadly.
    edited February 2015
    atriar wrote: »
    Curse Bite - Preaty useful, necrotic encounter with so-so damage, can hit up to 3 targets even INIVSIBLE ones if they are cursed. For this ability recommended to use the Infernal Spheres encounter and the Vengeful Curse feat.

Pillar of Power - Yes useless at the moment. Make it cast like Hallowed Ground or Icy Terrain, so directly under the foot of the caster without targeting, and make the explosion part to prone OR daze the enemy it hit.

Vampiric Embrace - PvE wise this encounter rocks, in PvP the heal suppression kills it. Sadly.

This guy uses curse bite, man you realy need to learn how to play as a SW. It hit less then an atwill. Or are u going to kill a tr with 2k crit damage??
  • cococyacococya Member Posts: 162 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    This guy uses curse bite, man you realy need to learn how to play as a SW. It hit less then an atwill. Or are u going to kill a tr with 2k crit damage??

Perma-stealth TRs will rip you a new one before you could get a chance to land a single hit with our slow *** casting. Couple this with Infernal spheres and Blades of vanquished armies and it's a might give you a small chance to get them.
    Granted, I've never used Cursed bite myself, but I can see it being useful in this scenario.
    edited February 2015

This guy cant read. "And there are more stuff useless for SW atm. "
    Look at the end of my post but to be nice enough i will explain it for you, so here we go boy: I just entitled some of powers that are useless on SW, useless so most of people dont use them.

Cheers, Asuna.
  • atriaratriar Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited February 2015

Erm... just from this comment you are probably a ~8-10k gs Damnation SW who is runing with lower than rank 1 at-wills.

This guy cant read. "And there are more stuff useless for SW atm. "
    Look at the end of my post but to be nice enough i will explain it for you, so here we go boy: I just entitled some of powers that are useless on SW, useless so most of people dont use them.

Cheers, Asuna.

This guy can read, just because i did not make comment on all of your stuff that doest mean i can not read, jerk.

With great respect, Atriar
    edited February 2015
    atriar wrote: »
    Erm... just from this comment you are probably a ~8-10k gs Damnation SW who is runing with lower than rank 1 at-wills.

This guy can read, just because i did not make comment on all of your stuff that doest mean i can not read, jerk.

With great respect, Atriar

Umm now i am confused, why did u took my response as an attack on you when i was quoting candinho2?
    edited February 2015
    My question would be why are we fighting amongst ourselves. We're all SW's here who are fighting for our class. So lets put the petty bickering aside and concentrate on getting the devs to understand that we're not getting any help and that of all the classes, we need it the most.

The abilities that are useless are easy to see if the devs just bothered to ask. Not that I want this to be a war against them, I just want them to see that our class is underwhelming to say the least. There is no flexibility in how we can do our class if we want to be effective and in PvP we are nothing but a dinner buffet set up for TRs, Clerics, and CWs.

They can do better, and they need to.