test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Translation of the game to other Languages...

teeborgteeborg Member Posts: 5 Arc User
edited January 2015 in General Discussion (PC)
Hello people!

This topic should be about the translation of the game to your language.

So basicly I'm enjoying the game by reading all of the lores and quests what the game shows to me, but I can imagine that there is a lot of hungarian people who would do the same if they could understund all thing what is wrote on those lores and quests.

An idea just formed up in my mind that I know the game's developers are most likely never going to translate the game to different languages just by themselfs, because it is not profitable enaugh.

So what if the developers give a chance to the community to translate the game all by ourselfs to our mother tongue.
I would take a part in the translation to Hungarian language for sure, and I know there is a lot of other people who thinks like the same.

Any idea bonded to this topic are welcomed.
Post edited by teeborg on

Comments

• Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    teeborg wrote: »
    Hello people!

This topic should be about the translation of the game to your language.

So basicly I'm enjoying the game by reading all of the lores and quests what the game shows to me, but I can imagine that there is a lot of hungarian people who would do the same if they could understund all thing what is wrote on those lores and quests.

An idea just formed up in my mind that I know the game's developers are most likely never going to translate the game to different languages just by themselfs, because it is not profitable enaugh.

So what if the developers give a chance to the community to translate the game all by ourselfs to our mother tongue.
    I would take a part in the translation to Hungarian language for sure, and I know there is a lot of other people who thinks like the same.

Any idea bonded to this topic are welcomed.

Won't ever happen because they'd still need to hire a translator to be sure that you weren't just putting in a bunch of profanity.
  • Options
    zazaajizazaaji Member Posts: 186
    edited January 2015
    charononus wrote: »
    Won't ever happen because they'd still need to hire a translator to be sure that you weren't just putting in a bunch of profanity.
    Here I was trying to think of a nice way of saying that.....

Despite his bluntness, charononus is right. This has been thought of on many other MMORPG's forums over the years, and that's always the same problem. Odds are that some people really and truly just want to translate the game to their native language (I'm one of those as well), to get others that only speak that language to play it. Unfortunately there are some people with less-than-credible "translations", that will throw in cuss words or other inappropriate things. Without a Developer that speaks said language that will also get paid for extra translation checking work, it just won't be possible.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    zazaaji wrote: »
    Here I was trying to think of a nice way of saying that.....

Despite his bluntness, charononus is right. This has been thought of on many other MMORPG's forums over the years, and that's always the same problem. Odds are that some people really and truly just want to translate the game to their native language (I'm one of those as well), to get others that only speak that language to play it. Unfortunately there are some people with less-than-credible "translations", that will throw in cuss words or other inappropriate things. Without a Developer that speaks said language that will also get paid for extra translation checking work, it just won't be possible.

Yup and it only takes that one guy out of hundreds that does things like that and ruins it for everyone.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    So what about choosable add-on?

Since I'm quite new to this game, I don't know if the coders wrote such thing like a way to put add-ons to the game, but if they did, then it is free again to make an add-on and a player based decision if he wants to put that add-on on work or not. Ofcourse it is not made by devs, so they would't guarantee that all things is right on the translation, but still... players could choose if they want to play the game by they native language what translated by the community, or they want to play the original english what made by the devs.

I think it would be a good thing to have.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    I think first the writings would be a good stepping stone to climb.
    And I can agree with some things you said there, but comeon lip-sync??? :)) You can choose any of the language of this game but none of them going to have a proper lip-sync. This game is not a movie, the subs shouldn't be a problem.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    magenubbie wrote: »
    It takes too much time and doesn't generate any revenue.

I don't want to get far away from the topic so I try to stay close to it.

Actualy I totaly don't agree with that. It would generate revenue, the question is more like how much would it generate.
    The more options the player can choose the more enjoyable the game is.
    And only if there is no such things like add-ons on the game, then the devs should totaly make some way to the community to make some. The consequences made by add-ons are often wery positive. For example there is a lot player who download add-ons for other games, becuase they enjoy the game with them more.
    And ofcourse if a player enjoy the game he/she plays with it more.
  • Options
    rollingonitrollingonit Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    teeborg wrote: »
    Actualy I totaly don't agree with that. It would generate revenue, the question is more like how much would it generate. .

Most likely it wouldnt generate more revenue than itd cost to employ translators.
    We can pretend.
    Fox Stevenson - Sandblast
    Oh Wonder - Without You

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
    - Dylan Thomas
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Most likely it wouldnt generate more revenue than itd cost to employ translators.

And don't forget that's a translator for every expansion as you have to keep the support up for the life of the game or you pay all kinds of negative pr.
  • Options
    rollingonitrollingonit Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    charononus wrote: »
    And don't forget that's a translator for every expansion as you have to keep the support up for the life of the game or you pay all kinds of negative pr.

Yah Ive seen it. Ive also seen when the translations are all wrong and that doesnt turn out well for anyone either.

OP, some kind people in other games have translated them for other people though, its always been Russian (insert diff language) to English not vice versa (cause I play NA/US based games typically)
    We can pretend.
    Fox Stevenson - Sandblast
    Oh Wonder - Without You

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
    - Dylan Thomas