test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How To Fix PVP

chestnut13chestnut13 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 176 Arc User
edited January 2015 in PvP Discussion
If we can have a repository for ideas and suggestions, that may help. I don't know a thing about coding, but let's assume a major overhaul is not in the cards. My simple fix is as follows:

RAINBOW parties only in PVP.

Simple. What does it do? It lessens the effect of poor design and class balance. When one class is OP, there are always two per team. 40% of the match is dominated by an overpowered class which makes play suck, reduces interest in playing by weaker classes, increases que times, increases AD campfire sitting, and anihilates new players interest in PVP.

Even with an OP class, having only one on a team makes every other class involved more viable and engaged, and dramatically lessens the effect of poor balance. Yes Devs, it will hide your mistakes.

It also makes for a far more interesting strategic outlook for matches. This will enhance interest and enthusiasm to play. I think it's pretty simple to put in place and I believe it will greatly increase playability and lessen people's frustration level.
Post edited by chestnut13 on

Comments

• Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Here's the problem that makes this solution a no go even if any other problems didn't exist (which they do) two friends could decide they both like playing class X. They decide to try to pvp together and discover that they can't. This is just as bad a no pre-mades in tiamat. Anything that makes it where friends are unable to play with each other is horribly horribly wrong. I don't think a worse idea can be implemented in an mmo. The better option is that the classes are balanced for pvp as unlikely as that is. Once again I can not state enough how horrible this idea is in any mmo.
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Which would only make long queues even longer, unfortunately :(
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    ironzerg79 wrote: »
    Which would only make long queues even longer, unfortunately :(

Not saying OP's suggestion is the holy grail, but long queue times are a non-issue if the games behind it would be competitive and meaningful.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    charononus wrote: »
    Here's the problem that makes this solution a no go even if any other problems didn't exist (which they do) two friends could decide they both like playing class X. They decide to try to pvp together and discover that they can't. This is just as bad a no pre-mades in tiamat. Anything that makes it where friends are unable to play with each other is horribly horribly wrong. I don't think a worse idea can be implemented in an mmo. The better option is that the classes are balanced for pvp as unlikely as that is. Once again I can not state enough how horrible this idea is in any mmo.

Thanks for your reply ... hopefully you can see the benefit upon further reflection. If 2 people want to play together they have myriad options in PVE. Also, nearly everyone has at least one alt so that takes care of that. It would not increase que times for the game as a whole ... only for the OP class. This is about fixing a broken system so PVP can be fun. It's not about keeping the system broken because two TRs, or whatever class is OP per mod, can't romp through a match cause they are buds.
  • Options
    khimera906khimera906 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Here's the solution to PVP - it must be separated from PVE. Powers need to be fine tuned for each aspect of the game separately. Have each power behave differently on players than it does on monsters. Even even the Rogues were at the peek of their "OPnes" they weren't a match for Wizards in PVE, but they were and still are op for PVP, even after a few nerfs. This is the best thing they can do. Now, of course they'll never do it, cause apparently it's a bad investment, but I still hope.
    I hate dancing with Lady Luck. She always steps on my toes.
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    chestnut13 wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply ... hopefully you can see the benefit upon further reflection. If 2 people want to play together they have myriad options in PVE. Also, nearly everyone has at least one alt so that takes care of that. It would not increase que times for the game as a whole ... only for the OP class. This is about fixing a broken system so PVP can be fun. It's not about keeping the system broken because two TRs, or whatever class is OP per mod, can't romp through a match cause they are buds.

No the real solution is to do as other mention and separately balance pve and pvp. What you propose is a bandaid, a bandaid that will actually cause several problems that are the equal to the problem it's meant to solve. I'm not a hardcore pvp'er but I did enjoy casually going into pvp before mod3. I'd like that to be again, however I see in your bandaid just more things to drive people away from the game.
  • Options
    tsokushintsokushin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    khimera906 wrote: »
    Here's the solution to PVP - it must be separated from PVE. Powers need to be fine tuned for each aspect of the game separately. Have each power behave differently on players than it does on monsters. Even even the Rogues were at the peek of their "OPnes" they weren't a match for Wizards in PVE, but they were and still are op for PVP, even after a few nerfs. This is the best thing they can do. Now, of course they'll never do it, cause apparently it's a bad investment, but I still hope.

This is a terrible idea and here's why: manpower.

It is much simpler to focus on obtaining PvP class balance first, and then making PvE content that's centered around that PvP balance.

From a coding perspective, you want something to last when you actually code a feature, therefore, it's better to focus on the harder job involving more variables (PvP) than the simple job as you can take out the simple job at any time. This is simply prioritizing jobs.

In any case, Class abilities already have their different effectiveness in PvP and PvE due to the fact that players can think and react in contrast to instances and dungeons. This reactive environment in PvP are equatable to the extra variables involved in coding.

They can always just add more health, ad a level of control immunity to monsters in dungeons, but for a lasting PvP balance, the balancers will simply have to place more focus on PvP first and foremost. I already have a large thread existing on what PvP balances could be introduced for a more skillful and balanced gameplay: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?827901-Class-balance-in-PvP-has-become-utterly-disgusting-and-skilless
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    charononus wrote: »
    No the real solution is to do as other mention and separately balance pve and pvp. What you propose is a bandaid, a bandaid that will actually cause several problems that are the equal to the problem it's meant to solve. I'm not a hardcore pvp'er but I did enjoy casually going into pvp before mod3. I'd like that to be again, however I see in your bandaid just more things to drive people away from the game.

Sigh. Yes, it is a band aid ... It's a band aid because a band aid is required. The alternative ... competent development and separate balance for PVP is not a reality. This will probably get edited too but so what. If one believes that after 5 mods of unbalanced play and mega nerfs and uber buffs that create an OP class, all will be peachy,
    well I've get a bridge in Florida to sell you. This is simply to make PVP playable in the meantime.