test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How is OW PVP handled with the new level cap increase?

loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
edited January 2015 in PvP Discussion
Interesting question, because LVL60 toons need to do quests and complete their PVP campaign there. If 70s would be allowed in IWD, then I guess you would have no choice leveling to 70 before even trying to do stuff in IWP and DV.

On the other hand. You can't just exclude them either, because that would mean 70s couldn't complete their PVP open world stuff.

Takes?

This might be a non-issue though. Based on how easy leveling is, you probably will go all the way to 70 before gearing up in the future unless you really need a solid GS to attempt the new legendary questline.
Post edited by loboguild on

Comments

• Options
    mfgamesysmfgamesys Member Posts: 462 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Maybe there will be lvl 60 plus instances only. But this only a guess.
    Main-Lothor Syralth Guardian Fighter
  • Options
    rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2015
    Mostly a non-issue. They've done a good job of making open world PVP meaningless and unrewarding. Now if you could convert black ice into pure refining points.....
  • Options
    pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Mostly a non-issue. They've done a good job of making open world PVP meaningless and unrewarding. Now if you could convert black ice into pure refining points.....

If by "they" you mean "the PVP players themselves" then yes, they have neglected a great resource because the devs smartly didn't allow them to form roving bands of ****-stompers and just troll the entire zone.

To the original question: Perhaps they can have PVP flags that only work for characters of the same level, i.e., a lvl 63 player can only fight other lvl 63 players (but not lvl 62 or lvl 64 or any other lvl).
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    pointsman wrote: »
    If by "they" you mean "the PVP players themselves" then yes, they have neglected a great resource because the devs smartly didn't allow them to form roving bands of ****-stompers and just troll the entire zone.

So then you have another dead endgame option which is better.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    So then you have another dead endgame option which is better.

If the only "reward" that OWPVPers will accept is "trolling the entire zone with gangs of PKers roflstomping and humiliating everyone", then it's better that there be no reward at all.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    If the only "reward" that OWPVPers will accept is "trolling the entire zone with gangs of PKers roflstomping and humiliating everyone", then it's better that there be no reward at all.

Open world PVP is about killing other players. I don't know why you would describe that as trolling :D

But regardless, a game mode is still better than zero endgame. There are other PVE avenues in this game such as doing dailies for players such as yourself.
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Open world PVP is about killing other players. I don't know why you would describe that as trolling :D

But regardless, a game mode is still better than zero endgame. There are other PVE avenues in this game such as doing dailies for players such as yourself.

Yup and you guys can fight anyone that jumps into he red to flag. Complaining about not being able to kill anyone in the zone that does want to do the pve dailies kind of proves his point, that the real want is to troll.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    charononus wrote: »
    Yup and you guys can fight anyone that jumps into he red to flag. Complaining about not being able to kill anyone in the zone that does want to do the pve dailies kind of proves his point, that the real want is to troll.

So killing players in PVP who want to complete their daily PVP victory is also trolling?
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    So killing players in PVP who want to complete their daily PVP victory is also trolling?

But that is what we have now, and what you describe as "unrewarding" and "dead".

So please describe what you would consider "rewarding" OWPVP, if it isn't "trolling the entire zone".
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited January 2015

Not at all, that's part of the pvp daily. If they didn't want to pvp they shouldn't be doing the pvp daily. But from the comments I see about it, it seems that people want to be able to kill people doing the pve dailies and anyone else that zones the pass or the valley.

edit*
    Now granted back in mod3 I did have someone have a rant at me because I killed them when they were out of the red area but flagged, but once again, that's part of it. If you are going to flag, it's because you want to risk getting into a fight, but that was a rare occurance.
  • Options
    mirrorballsmirrorballs Member Posts: 877 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2015
    I wouldn't worry too much of it, sirs. Cryptic already has experience in coming up with a 'performance equalizer' sort of system which let's different classes scale to a varying degrees to close the gaping holes between different level players to more or less satisfactory levels. Happened the areas like Siren's Call or Warburg in CoH/CoV.

Higher level players have more skills/powers, and even after scaling they still have a bit higher stats than lower level players, so in a pure 1vs1 sense the lower level players are still disadvantaged, sir, as they should be, but not too extremely. I would personally estimate the difference in performance might actually be lower than some of the extreme cases met in domination.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    charononus wrote: »
    Not at all, that's part of the pvp daily. If they didn't want to pvp they shouldn't be doing the pvp daily. But from the comments I see about it, it seems that people want to be able to kill people doing the pve dailies and anyone else that zones the pass or the valley.

edit*
    Now granted back in mod3 I did have someone have a rant at me because I killed them when they were out of the red area but flagged, but once again, that's part of it. If you are going to flag, it's because you want to risk getting into a fight, but that was a rare occurance.

I mean, jumping up and down their corpse, calling them names etc is of course trolling/griefing and there is no other way to put it.

But I believe this is a very specific zone in which other players hindering you from completing your objectives are a part of it.

Some people hate it and for good reason, but most of the game doesn't involve that.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    I mean, jumping up and down their corpse, calling them names etc is of course trolling/griefing and there is no other way to put it.

But I believe this is a very specific zone in which other players hindering you from completing your objectives are a part of it.

Some people hate it and for good reason, but most of the game doesn't involve that.

But it would be nice to know what you would consider "rewarding" OWPVP, and how the devs might implement that in IWD, if they are going to be making some modifications to it due to the level cap increase, so that it can be rewarding for PVPers like yourself.
  • Options
    loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I agree the area needs more incentives to come back next to trolling and scrimshaw tokens. I think they have to tie future PVP content to the area, let gear cost Black Ice, Scrimshaw Tokens or a new currency that drops from OW Domination.

I personally don't like scaling as much, because it's an additional balancing step, so I'd go with different instances for different level ranges. Or give the 70s a whole new OW PVP area on one of the new maps.
  • Options
    dragoness10dragoness10 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 780 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    "OW PvP"

:falls down:

Ow!
    " I tried to figure out the enigma that was you, and then I realized mastering Wild Magic was easier." - Old Wizard in Waterdeep

"Why is it dragons only use ketchup? I'd like a little wasabi please. Us silvers like a variety of condiments."

"Don't call them foolish mortals. One, they don't learn from it. Two, It just ticks them off." - An Ancient Red Dragon
  • Options
    mirrorballsmirrorballs Member Posts: 877 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2015
    loboguild wrote: »
    I agree the area needs more incentives to come back next to trolling and scrimshaw tokens. I think they have to tie future PVP content to the area, let gear cost Black Ice, Scrimshaw Tokens or a new currency that drops from OW Domination.

I personally don't like scaling as much, because it's an additional balancing step, so I'd go with different instances for different level ranges. Or give the 70s a whole new OW PVP area on one of the new maps.

That would require them to allocate more server space + separate player groups for lower population per zone -- for something that is pretty much already sufficiently handled through scaling mechanics, sir.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    But it would be nice to know what you would consider "rewarding" OWPVP, and how the devs might implement that in IWD, if they are going to be making some modifications to it due to the level cap increase, so that it can be rewarding for PVPers like yourself.

Having PVP armor ingredients drop from Icewind pass zones exclusively. This PVP armor should be BIS for PVP and superior to any artifact eqiupment (again, BIS for PVP).

You could also buff the PVP boons it gives directly, or buff it indirectly by making the boons PVE dailies give not applicable for PVP.

For people complaining about pots in PVP, you could ban PVE pots in PVP and instead also introduce PVP exclusive buff potion.

I'm sure more people could add to that but these are some additions that wouldn't affect PVE players playing PVE that much.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    loboguild wrote: »

Listen, we've already jumped the shark. Me and everyone else were very opposed to the huge powercreep provided by artifact equipment and the fact that you get them through the auction house and not PVE farming.

New players already have no chance of catching up unless they open their wallets. This wasn't the case back then as BIS gear dropped in dungeons as is.