test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

GWF useless and AoW the only good set ?

ggrrhhrrddggrrhhrrdd Member Posts: 10 Arc User
edited February 2015 in The Militia Barracks
Hello people,
i started playing neverwinter over 1 year ago and i have to say GWF is still my favourite class because of its playstyle. The only time i used AoW i had a tough time, because i died a lot to fast, but did a bit more damage. But i NEVER liked AoW because of its squishyness. Most of the time i used Fabled illiyanbruen 2/2 valiant duellists set, because they gave me a lot of damage and health, and my damage was always enough to outdamage people with GS close to mine, simply because i chose to be at min 30k hp and always be the first to engage any fight. When i changed to AoW, i had to move a lot more and lost the precious advantage of being able to engage on every add i spotted without dying but had to dance around the mobs to avoid their damage. Then i found the Draconic Templar Set. I know most people dont even consider this set worthy being looked at but it really is! of course i had to change most of my other gear to get my crit back up, but i gained more defense and power by getting the hp from set and not having to use my defense slots for radiants anymore but for azures. Also the difference of power between AoW and Draconic Templar is just about 500 but my defenses went up like crazy and also i gained more armor penetration and recovery and on top of that a 10% damage and damageresist debuff on every mob around me for EVERY player.
So getting Draconic Templar has increased my damage overall by giving me less cooldowns and more tankiness = more time hurting enemies and not having to avoid their attacks.
The change was expensive, but allowed me to do a lot of damage and still being able to help my team and to survive. Because more tankiness=more time to deal damage.
Also im using a full destroyer SM build, because the simple spamming of daring shout and come and get it is just to lame.
U may think whatever you want but Draconic Templar definitely is strong(er tha AoW) if u use it correctly and make use of your overloadslots correctly. And a destroyer with a little bit of base tankiness is definitely not the baseline in pve but definitely on the top if you know how to play.
Please dont change the GWF anymore, because it just is a great class to engage on enemys and being able to stand in their attacks dealing damage and tanking theirs. (and dont change that in the new mod :D)
In love with GWF since 25.11.2013
Post edited by ggrrhhrrdd on

Comments

• charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Sorry but I have to disagree with you. GWF needs the unstoppable and determination gain nerf undone. It's just plain flat out unfun to touch at the moment and that has nothing to do with gear. As far as the power difference. IIRC that is when the 4pc is not active, which essentially is a bit dishonest as it's the 4pc that makes the AoW set.
  • ggrrhhrrddggrrhhrrdd Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    i meant the powerdifference with the AoW setbonus active ofc ... and i dont have any problem to go unstoppable and get determination with my playstyle
    edited January 2015
    ggrrhhrrdd wrote: »
    i meant the powerdifference with the AoW setbonus active ofc ... and i dont have any problem to go unstoppable and get determination with my playstyle

Umm no. You're just flat out wrong on all counts on this. I just fact checked everything here

On the draconic templar set, you only have power on the head and chest armor, for a total of 1023 power.

The avatar of war set has power on all the pieces for 1271 power. Onslaught gives 1350 power. You very well may have more defense but every other part is factually wrong.
    edited January 2015

You have to lose a lot, I mean a metric ton more hp than you used to. Far too much imo. It killed the class imo.
  • theoddis1theoddis1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 353 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I run an IV destro Str Crit build with full AoW and apart from the occasional move out in Elol or Esot I never have to move out of the red I have respec my feats and dropped as much Arpen as I can and i am still borderline over on my resistance ignored. I can almost guarantee that you are over your resistance ignored if you are running Draconinc templar. the stats are absolutely abysmal for it I dont even think it is worth it if they put 4 overload slots instead of 2 on it. its a poorly designed set and cant compete with AoW in dps since you are wasting stats on arpen you dont need and having to gem for crit which means even less power when yo lose the 4pc of avatar

if you are having a hard time surviving in an AoW set get 2 things and you will be fine
    1. lifesteal to 10%
    2. the endless consumption boon from DR

and as long as you keep attacking you will not die
  • titaniumworldtitaniumworld Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    charononus wrote: »
    Umm no. You're just flat out wrong on all counts on this. I just fact checked everything here

On the draconic templar set, you only have power on the head and chest armor, for a total of 1023 power.

The avatar of war set has power on all the pieces for 1271 power. Onslaught gives 1350 power. You very well may have more defense but every other part is factually wrong.

The draconic templar 4 piece set is a debuff, that means when your armor pen capped it allows for negative resistance so another way it could be read is 5% damage increase that's equal to 834 power. add in a greater white dragon glyph and the advantage AOW has in damage comes down to 0.08% not a bad trade off for all the other stats you get.
  • ortzhyortzhy Member Posts: 1,103 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2015
    charononus wrote: »

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?818241-Avatar-of-War-vs-Draconic-Templar/page4

think you might want to read that...
    edited January 2015
    theoddis1 wrote: »
    if you are having a hard time surviving in an AoW set get 2 things and you will be fine
    1. lifesteal to 10%

unless you are cced and get 1 shoot.
    edited January 2015
    167 power = 1% damage

aow = 2621 power for a total of 15.69% damage increase

DT with glyph = 1823 power total 10.91% add in the 4 piece bonus when armor pen capped 15.91% damage increase

so I was wrong the damage is 0.22% in DT's favor and also DT has a lot less ramp up time as your first hit can proc the glyph and every hit has 25% chance to proc so it has a 100% up time from what I have seen.
    edited January 2015
    167 power = 1% damage

DT with glyph = 1823 power total 10.91% add in the 4 piece bonus when armor pen capped 15.91% damage increase

so I was wrong the damage is 0.22% in DT's favor and also DT has a lot less ramp up time as your first hit can proc the glyph and every hit has 25% chance to proc so it has a 100% up time from what I have seen.

Remember to convert the extra def/arpen/rec into power as well, also buff dmg applies a bit differently. You can read it all in the link above and discover what are the strengths and weaknesses of both sets.
    edited January 2015
    ortzhy wrote: »
    Remember to convert the extra def/arpen/rec into power as well, also buff dmg applies a bit differently. You can read it all in the link above and discover what are the strengths and weaknesses of both sets.

I forgot about that but than again I am to lazy to even try to do all that math :P
  • nazghul22nazghul22 Member Posts: 407 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Please dont change the GWF anymore, because it just is a great class to engage on enemys

Troll, I guess.
    Try EsoT and die at the very first fight. Yes, the fight with trash mobs. Die in the AoE. Die, OS-ed by the archer foe.
    Gwf is only playable if you play two modules behind, that is if you run PK with ToD artifacts and jewelry.
    ToD = ..........
    Tired of Dailies/Tyranny of Dailies/Timers of Doom/Tricked Or Duped/Tremendously Obnoxious Dailies/Try Otherwise, Devs
    edited January 2015
    nazghul22 wrote: »
    Troll, I guess.
    Try EsoT and die at the very first fight. Yes, the fight with trash mobs. Die in the AoE. Die, OS-ed by the archer foe.
    Gwf is only playable if you play two modules behind, that is if you run PK with ToD artifacts and jewelry.

I don't die, I soloed the Esot boss from about 75% to dead after everyone in my pug died.
  • ggrrhhrrddggrrhhrrdd Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    soloing esot boss is easy, because it has so easy mechanics and the same attackpattern all the time
    and i had the endless consumption and over 10% lifesteal on AoW, but still couldn't handle the adds as easy as in full DT
    and if you know how to play you can easily kill esot adds without dying ... you just have to evade the archers and the ragedrakes :D
  • wildwolf8wildwolf8 Member Posts: 161 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2015
    the main issue I have with gwf isn't with the gwf at all but with paingiver. it is really difficult to paingiver well on a sub-19kgs gwf who doesn't have perfect enchant and massive power. this of course depends on the group you're in. however, get rid of that chart and i'd feel much better about myself when I play gwf.

and just to give some perspective: when i play my sw I can paingiver about 2 to 3 times as high as on my gwf. however, actually doing the dungeon doesn't feel much different. I feel like I play both well, and the dungeon itself doesn't tend to feel much faster either way.
    though I can sustain the damage better on my sw, since i'm not getting knocked around as much, it doesn't actually feel as different as paingiver often shows it to be.

so, gwf not useless. aow not the only good set. gwf just difficult to score high on paingiver in similar geared party, so that makes it a frustrating and costly class.
  • tbhdk2tbhdk2 Member Posts: 78
    edited February 2015
    167 power = 1% damage

From a guide:
    "People keep saying 167 power is 1% more DPS. IT IS NOT. It is only 1% when you have zero power, as your power increase, that increase drops. For all you high power stackers, this graph is the most important."

For among others above reason I dont use AOW. I use Iliyanbruen.

At 13 k power before buffs,boons and stacks my GWF dont really get much from AOW.

The second reason I use Iliyanbruen is that it has a small but helpfull unstoppable bar recovery. That translates into a good deal more dps since you can go unstoppapable more often - hard to quantify what that translates into dps wise. The set bonus however only last 15 seconds per minute (3x5) So it has drawbacks in prolonged bossfights - but works great in zergs of dragons in iwd and heads of tiamat and everywhere else where a good deal of time is spend running or dodging.

The third reason is that I can use any skills I want with any lenght of cooldown - then I can use them as fast as I can press the buttons - then throw a weapon master strike and keep spamming sure strike with scaling dps until the cooldowns are over. You could do the same with with Aow - but lose a lot of uptime of the aow bonus.
  • emilemoemilemo Member Posts: 1,718 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    theoddis1 wrote: »
    I run an IV destro Str Crit build with full AoW and apart from the occasional move out in Elol or Esot I never have to move out of the red I have respec my feats and dropped as much Arpen as I can and i am still borderline over on my resistance ignored. I can almost guarantee that you are over your resistance ignored if you are running Draconinc templar. the stats are absolutely abysmal for it I dont even think it is worth it if they put 4 overload slots instead of 2 on it. its a poorly designed set and cant compete with AoW in dps since you are wasting stats on arpen you dont need and having to gem for crit which means even less power when yo lose the 4pc of avatar

1. lifesteal to 10%

Id say dont rush and invest in new gear and build because glass cannon GWFs as described in the quote above will be much weaker in mod 6 with the change to self healing
    Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream.
    Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, Life is but a dream.
  • lewel555lewel555 Member Posts: 616 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    emilemo wrote: »
    Id say dont rush and invest in new gear

Invest in new class.
  • theoddis1theoddis1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 353 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    ortzhy wrote: »
    unless you are cced and get 1 shoot.
    I have 30k hp so if a mob so much as looks at me funny I have enough determintation to go unstoppable and be CC immune I only get one shot in Esot or Elol if I don somthing stupid like run off in front of my party you just have to play a little smarter
    emilemo wrote: »
    Id say dont rush and invest in new gear and build because glass cannon GWFs as described in the quote above will be much weaker in mod 6 with the change to self healing

who said my build was glass cannon I have a lot fo survivabilty apart from just my lifesteal I have 3 points in armor specialization and +6 AC from my cloak I dont feel glass cannony at all even on test server I just have to actually use pots now and not just charge in pull an entire area and go ham on it.

from what i have seen on test those who are too comfortable with being uber lifesteal machines and refuse to play the class smart are gonna have a bad time next mod. Me personally I am having a blast on test. (still running AoW on test and I am lev 64)