test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Gorgon Bugs & Issues

angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
edited April 2015 in Bug Reports (PC)
1) I used to do a lot of 3D Modeling/Animation/Raytracing - I know it's *hard* work.
2) I know the modelers and animators are not happy this was released UNFINISHED. (they are probably as angry as players about it. if not, they should probably reconsider career choice.)

3) I am saying what I mean and I mean what I am saying here - and I've never been this hard on the staff of this game studio, but here it is:

ANIMATION SYNC: Rider/Mount.
The synchronization of the rider animation with the mount run looks sloppy. I understand it's supposed to be a "rough ride" and look like the rider is struggling to stay on - I get it - but the sync disparity appears to only be the 'bounce' - it looks sloppy without the rider also "struggling" in his upper body (if this is the effect being attempted). Therefor the rider/mount animation looks more amateurish than anything I've ever seen come from Cryptic. Ever.

STANDING/IDLE MODEL COLLISION: Rider/Mount.
Except for the really bad-looking rider/mount bouncing sync during movement, the standing idle animation has rider legs clipping into the Gorgon model - the rider is not properly centered on the mount model as the right leg clips further into the side of the Gorgon model even more than the left leg; both legs clip into the model. This seems to be the case with all PC character shapes, including my very large Half-Orc character.

MOVEMENT ANIMATION: Mount.
The legs of the Gorgon model animation seem to be incomplete; rear left leg appear to 'lag' or 'flail' about.

MODEL TEXTURE: Mount.
It is relatively clear what the intended look of the model is to be, however the texturing of the Gorgon appears to be incomplete; no textures applied; color and specularity only. Which begs the question: is this supposed to be an animated statue? This is what it appears to be. For goodness sake: at least color the eyes.

The movement animation of the Gorgon with rider appears to have been created with keyframe and no fine-tuning, as though the tween frames were left as-is and this is unacceptable - it appears your standards of quality have fallen through the floor.

Even with the usual issues I have never, ever seen such a sloppy "release' from Cryptic Studios in City of Heroes/Villains, Champions Online, Start Trek Online, and Neverwinter until now. I have always championed the quality of Cryptic's modeling/animation work and now I must admit: I am embarrassed for you and I now publicly eat all those 'modeling/animation quality" words I've hyped over all these years.

Now that the Gorgon is released, please do not consider it finished; PLEASE REVISIT THESE ISSUES and fix them. No screenshots provided because all you have to do is actually use the thing and look at it.

@Modelers/animators: I feel for you; you were shortchanged on this - I blame the PRODUCER/PRODUCTION DESIGNER bosses for releasing your good work unfinished into the public against your recommendations. At least this is the only possible explanation for such slop I can even think of.

EDIT to clarify this: I know there are other threads mentioning one or two of these, but I wanted to create a thread that gives a detailed complaint so the Cryptic Staff know precisely what the complaint is and where the perceived problems lay - SO THEY CAN FIX IT.

NOTE TO NYONE WHO MAY REPLY TO THIS THREAD:
No need for the usual vitriol against Cryptic about how 'this is standard fair' and all that nonsense. They do work hard and we must recognize that. This post is simply my way of throwing down the gauntlet to let them know that this is unacceptable as compared to the quality of all their other work (regardless of how you feel about that other work.)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    ... I blame the PRODUCER/PRODUCTION DESIGNER bosses for releasing your good work unfinished into the public against your recommendations.

^ This is why we can't have nice things.

Digital Marketing: Short Term Profit vs Long Term Growth
    "In January 2012, Haribo released a TV advert showing the results of an interesting (if slightly halfhearted and biased) social experiment. Children were asked to sit at a table, faced with a single Haribo sweet. If they managed to resist eating the sweet for a short period of time, they would get two Haribo sweets to eat rather than one.

A no-brainer… surely? Apparently not. Not even one of the participants could resist the temptation of something they really liked, despite the promise of a better prize at the end of it."
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited January 2015
    Thanks for compiling this list angrysprite.

That was a real experiment Eldarth and the Haribo one doesn't seem...accurate...more like an advert.

It was originally done in the '70's if I recall correctly with Marshmallows. What was found was that few kids could resist but all those that could would be successful in life. While I don't exactly know where the original study was here is the TED Talk discussing the second study in February of 2009.
  • Options
    hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,462 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    For the left-rear leg issue, you can see it in action to a lesser degree just by walking up to it at the stables: the hoof moves in and out on its own as the creature breathes. It looks like the bone weighting wasn't done correctly on that part of the model, and the flopping around when riding is from the hoof extending to extreme lengths.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • Options
    stah01stah01 Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Rear left foot does not seem to be attached to the skeleton and sticks to the ground when you make moviement or jump. I believe its only that foot but should be rechecked.

svtZc3D.jpg
    GShBCGl.jpg
  • Options
    loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    When riding, you sink into the mount.
    fm0Gasx.jpg
    xsIQZbv.jpg

When standing, feet are still inside it.
    3MXPcC8.jpg
  • Options
    wenche78wenche78 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I gotta agree, this mount did not tempt me, I have seen people riding around with it.
    I dont see many things like this from Crypt, only thing i wanna point out is my female halfling on her black steed (dont remember the name, its maintenance, so cant check) but its a armored horse 110% speed.
    There her legs is so deep within the mount she is probably giving the horse a good heartmassage when she rides.
    Have not seen it on other races.
    Only thing that annoys me other than that graphic-wise is the armor always sticking out THROUGH any cloak you use, making it impossible to have show cloak on unless you are constantly running so the cloak floffs out behind you.
  • Options
    amunguspamungusp Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Very happy when I opened the box and there was the Gorgon mount.
    Not so happy looking at what I look like on it :(

Gorgon.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    amungusp wrote: »
    Very happy when I opened the box and there was the Gorgon mount.
    Not so happy looking at what I look like on it :(

It's an awesome mount, but by far the absolutely worst release in terms of quality they've ever released. The model is awesome, the gallop animation is *okay*, the jump animation is *tolerable*, the hoof "clackity-clack" sound is *decent*.

But anything and everything to do with synchronizing Player Character the the Gorgon model is downright horrific: riding animation is completely out of sync, rider leans to the right as though intoxicated (and ready to fall off) - nasty clipping issues during movement and standing idle.

~sigh~

We can only hope they get to fixing this thing sometime before Mod 9 and three or four new lockboxes from now.
    yeah: I'm just a little disappointed in this one.
  • Options
    ratjamratjam Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    amungusp wrote: »
    Gorgon.jpg

Oh boy I just can't stop laughing :D:D:D
  • Options
    cyencecyence Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    ratjam wrote: »
    Oh boy I just can't stop laughing :D:D:D
    I am done laughing. Now I just want it fixed.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    cyence wrote: »
    I am done laughing. Now I just want it fixed.

Ditto.

I have actually put mine away and returned to my Clydesdale because riding the Gorgon has become outright *irritating* and *annoying*.

Yes.
    Really.

Abso-fekking-lutely the worst, sloppiest job ever to come out of Cryptic in all their history.

Hell, I still have 20k Z in my account, considering the other lockbox super-prize: the Metallic Dragonborn race ability is broken, think I'll spend it on anything at all right now, much less lockbox keys? You get three guesses and the first two don't count. LOL

My confidence will become restored and the Gorgon out of my bank storage only when I actually see a patch note that states the Gorgon has been fixed. Until then, no more 'blind' purchases of anything from me.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Finally fixed. (http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?888831-Gorgon-Slop-is-Finally-Fixed&p=10549671#post10549671)

@Cryptic management: shame on you.
    @Animators: Thank you for finally finishing this. And thank you for fixing the Bear run animation on all bears; it finally runs like a bear and not a jackrabbit.