test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Possible fix for lair bots.

eiagraeiagra Member Posts: 70 Arc User
edited January 2015 in Bug Reports (PC)
Anyone who's been in Sharandar or Neverdeath is aware of the bot issue. You need only hear "I have one word for you... leeches!" a bazillion times to understand what's going on.

Here's a possible fix: Lair throttling. It could be done one of two ways depending on how severe you want to make it.

One (more severe) - When you leave a lair, the quest is marked as "failed" and you abandon it. You have to walk back to the NPC to pick it back up. A cooldown timer (1 to 5 minutes) before you can accept the quest again could be appropriate (especially since Sharandar's quest is standing right there).

Two (less severe) - Just add a cooldown timer when leaving a lair quest. You cannot enter that lair again for 1 to 5 more minutes. If you try to do this in a party, your party cannot enter until everyone's cooldown timer expires. If your party is already inside, YOU still cannot enter until your timer expires.

As long as the red error message is clear (i.e. "You need to wait 217 more seconds before trying this lair again." "A member of your party is not ready to enter this lair yet.") so that new and innocent players understand what's going on, the impact on the general community should not be severe. Most people don't have to abandon a lair quest unless it's bugged anyway, so this shouldn't impact many legitimate players at all.

The downside is that, naturally, this would require additional code and development time, the latter of which is probably already densely packed with other tasks, and the former meaning Things Could Go Wrong. But I hope it's a helpful suggestion anyway.
Post edited by eiagra on

Comments

• sobacsobac Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 440 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    What's the purpose of those bots doing that?
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    eiagra wrote: »
    Anyone who's been in Sharandar or Neverdeath is aware of the bot issue. You need only hear "I have one word for you... leeches!" a bazillion times to understand what's going on.

Here's a possible fix: Lair throttling. It could be done one of two ways depending on how severe you want to make it.

One (more severe) - When you leave a lair, the quest is marked as "failed" and you abandon it. You have to walk back to the NPC to pick it back up. A cooldown timer (1 to 5 minutes) before you can accept the quest again could be appropriate (especially since Sharandar's quest is standing right there).

Two (less severe) - Just add a cooldown timer when leaving a lair quest. You cannot enter that lair again for 1 to 5 more minutes. If you try to do this in a party, your party cannot enter until everyone's cooldown timer expires. If your party is already inside, YOU still cannot enter until your timer expires.

As long as the red error message is clear (i.e. "You need to wait 217 more seconds before trying this lair again." "A member of your party is not ready to enter this lair yet.") so that new and innocent players understand what's going on, the impact on the general community should not be severe. Most people don't have to abandon a lair quest unless it's bugged anyway, so this shouldn't impact many legitimate players at all.

The downside is that, naturally, this would require additional code and development time, the latter of which is probably already densely packed with other tasks, and the former meaning Things Could Go Wrong. But I hope it's a helpful suggestion anyway.

Bots aren't people, a timer to renter would mean they would just be programmed to wait. The work would acomplish nothing.
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Bots are ruining the game for me a helluvalot more than any bugs or "player imbalance" issues. Blacklake skirmish during Skirmish event, for example, is completely hosed (and I mean really trashed) to the point where in most cases you are basically playing it solo as the bots just stand around doing nothing. You can't kick them because skirmishes now require a vote and the bots are programmed to always vote no.

In any case zone bots are just as bad. I know Cryptic is working hard to circumvent them, but it's now time they need to think-up something more reliable than just "decreasing profit" to discourage them (because that's affecting players, too).

~sigh~
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    eiagra wrote: »
    I see. So you're suggesting that not only will they never go away, they're actually better for the game?

I guess I won't bother offering ideas on how to combat it then...

No I'm saying artificial restrictions won't combat them. Just make things harder on legit users. What's needed is a warden like program to look for bot use. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warden_(software)

The other option is to destroy the ability of bots to make money via economic means. But with the pay model used that would destroy cryptics ability to make money as well so the only real solution is a warden like program. Nothing else will work at all.
  • mmm1001mmm1001 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    You can't fight bots with technical tricks.
    The only solution is to hit their business. Ban players buying from 3rd party sites, and bots will die soon or later.
  • silentraven72silentraven72 Member Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Or, just get rid of the item they are after in the lairs. We know what they are after, and I wouldn't miss them one bit.
  • zevathonzevathon Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I've noticed the audio spam in Sharandar. So to clarify, someone's leveled up a 60, done the quest, put them in Sharandar and has them lair botting? Is it the weekly quest? Why there? The numbers of chests?

So, for ideas, I've heard:
    1. Put an abandon timer on so that if you leave a lair, you have to wait.
    2. Actually have a GM ban bots. Does this not happen now?

I'd add these:
    1. Put an abandon limit on the quest. After 5 abandonments in an hour, lose the quest for a day. After 3 days of that, lose it for a week.
    2. Use some anti-bot measures to at least flag for GMs who the botters are. So, measure DPS or something in a skirmish. If DPS is zero, repeatedly, flag the account. If someone abandons the same quest more than 4 times, flag the account. Knowing some stats makes identifying botters easier. Maybe create an index for the GMs on accounts called a bot-risk index number which is based on these figures.

So, um, what *is* the item they're after? Is it taboo to actually say? I'm new here.