test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[S. Warlock] most suitable race for PvP?

michelmontenegromichelmontenegro Member Posts: 64 Arc User
edited January 2015 in PvE Discussion
I liked the Dragonborn , but I have some doubts:
+3% (Power and Critical Strike): It seems to be focused on Critical damage?
+5% (healing from all spells and abilities): The healing it has synergy with S.W? (LifeSteal WorK ??)
+2 (to any two stats): 20CHA and 16CON or 18CHA and 18CON?

Compared with other races, it would compensate in PvP?

Races:
Dragonborn: http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Dragonborn
Tiefling: http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Tiefling
Human: http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Human
Halfling: http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Halfling
Post edited by michelmontenegro on

Comments

• kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2015
    If you're trying to min/max a PvP character, a warlock is probably the worst possible choice right now. Only go down this route if you're a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> with a lot of free time.
  • joocycuzzzzzzjoocycuzzzzzz Member Posts: 577 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    kattefjaes wrote: »
    If you're trying to min/max a PvP character, a warlock is probably the worst possible choice right now. Only go down this route if you're a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> with a lot of free time.

This lmao

Please pick another class srs.

OP if you're serious then Dragonborn is the best choice out of those, followed by either Human or Halfling.
    Beta player

One of the many Control Wizards that misses Shard Of The Endless Avalanche. RIP Shard (Beta-Mod3)
  • michelmontenegromichelmontenegro Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I already know about the SW this weakened in this Mod.
    But I intend to go with it, because I liked the class.
    Knowing this which races I recommend?

'+ 3% Power / Critical Strike "is a good status? (Does it matter?)

+5% (healing from all spells and abilities): The healing it has synergy with S.W? (LifeSteal WorK ??)
  • zibbioszibbios Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    There is only TR.
  • vasdamasvasdamas Member Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I am PvP SW, It feels miserable but I think halfing would always be BIS choice for pvp. Too bad I'd be ashamed of playing a race I don't like.
    zibbios wrote: »
    There is only TR.
    And DPS DC.
  • kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Knowing this which races I recommend?

'+ 3% Power / Critical Strike "is a good status? (Does it matter?)

If you want to be a party support, I'd suggest Dragonborn as a Temptation/Soulbinder combination, you'd be pretty darn survivable (particularly when doing damage!).

If you want to be more DPS support I'd suggest Fury/Soulbinder, solid DPS with Soul Scorch and Creeping Death along with the good defensive capabilities with the Soulbinder passives.

You can also go Fury/Hellbringer for silly PvP Damage, but I'd still recommend the Fury/Soulbinder for it's survivability.

However I am not a PvP expert, more PvE, but I know the class pretty darn well... :cool:

Hope that info/insight helps bud!
    va8Ru.gif
  • kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2015

No, it has not been "weakened in this Mod". It just hasn't ever been good for max level PvP. Almost no CC, no proper CC breaks, no proper dodge and mediocre survivability means it fails to tick all of the important boxes for PvP.

Also, the above overly coloured comments are very wrong. It's especially funny to see Temptation being suggested as being super-survivable in PvP. Way to misunderstand the healing depression mechanic. That's even before the fit hits the shan as regards casting time in PvP.

If you're happy with occasionally beating people that you massively outgear, when you take them by surprise, go ahead. If you prefer not to suck, you might want to look at another class- any other class. However, it's your time you're wasting- though you may regret it once the clues sink in :)
    edited January 2015
    Kind of agree with the comment above, temptation concubine is not any good for PvE since shift ability is just a waste. Rolling temptation just because of feat that gives us a ton of stamina when we are being HIT? No thanks, my survivability starts with ending my enemy faster than she/he does me.
  • darylhazdarylhaz Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    No, it has not been "weakened in this Mod". It just hasn't ever been good for max level PvP. Almost no CC, no proper CC breaks, no proper dodge and mediocre survivability means it fails to tick all of the important boxes for PvP.

Also, the above overly coloured comments are very wrong. It's especially funny to see Temptation being suggested as being super-survivable in PvP. Way to misunderstand the healing depression mechanic. That's even before the fit hits the shan as regards casting time in PvP.

If you're happy with occasionally beating people that you massively outgear, when you take them by surprise, go ahead. If you prefer not to suck, you might want to look at another class- any other class. However, it's your time you're wasting- though you may regret it once the clues sink in :)
    You just don't know how to play it if you're saying is weak. I'm a 18k pvp SW and can take all other 20k+ unless they perma cc then that's a problem. If you want a pvp SW then roll Fury, if you wany dps and defense then roll a Fury/soulbinder.
    edited January 2015
    darylhaz wrote: »
    You just don't know how to play it if you're saying is weak. I'm a 18k pvp SW and can take all other 20k+ unless they perma cc then that's a problem. If you want a pvp SW then roll Fury, if you wany dps and defense then roll a Fury/soulbinder.

It's going be hilarious when you meet some real PvPers.
  • darylhazdarylhaz Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited January 2015

I have that's why I reply
  • mehguy138mehguy138 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Well, I'm 27 wins away from getting Dominion Champion on my 15k SW, so I'm gonna try to give some suggestions and hints.

SW is gimped because of lack of surviving/dealing damage mechanics based on weapon damage, autoprocs, piercing damage etc. To deal damage you have to actually aim your s**t. An it's so painfully slow.

What to build? Soulbinder/Fury if you wanna deal damage and actually kill someone, Soulbinder/Temptation if you want to troll people by running around the map with full bar of stamina. I use this feat build.

There are more or less three common encounter rotations - (1) Warlock's Bargain (WB) + Dread Theft (DT) + Killing Flames (KF); (2) Harrowstorm (HS) + Warlock's Bargain + Killing Flames; (3) Harrowstorm + Soul Scorch (SS) + Killing Flames.

I'm gonna leave Killing Flames out of the discussion because the use of it is obvious

(1) Warlock's Bargain into Dread Theft - use this if: you're good at timing sprint, against foes that have little to no CC, against foes that can't dodge
    PROS:

- ability to apply crazy amount of Creeping Death stacks;
    - gives you a lot of defense when you have x5 Dread Theft stacks;
    - you can track TR in stealth if you use DT on him when you see him.

CONS:

- easily interruptable;
    - using WB without DT and vice versa is a fail which lives you very offensively limited when any of those two is on cooldown;
    - WB is easily dodgeable, won't give you any HP back if you miss it.

(2) Harrowstorm into Warlock's Bargain

PROS:

- descent CC if you can aim it;
    - guaranteed apply of WB;
    - guaranteed landing of KF;
    - a chance to kill your opponent with passively reflected damage of WB.

CONS:

- you either try to burst with HS->KF or apply WB with HS->WB, because you won't have enough time to HS->WB->KF, for SW's cast times are very long, and the target usually gets up and dodges your KF, it's very tricky to land anything with SW;
    - you miss opportunity to use WB->DT and it's a very questionable choice to switch from DT to HS.

(3) Harrowstorm into Killing Flames

PROS:

- SS gives you a chance to burst your target when they out of stamina or CC'd or trying to run away;
    - you don't waste your HP on WB;
    - SS deals damage 3 times basically, if you use Fury tree;
    - you can't dodge SS's dot component.

CONS:

- you have to waste soul sparks to use SS;
    - KF deals almost no damage if your target has high HP.

There are other choices used mostly to track TRs in stealth, but those abilities deal so low and pathetic damage, that you'd better stick to usual encounter rotations.

Build as much HP and defense as possible, try not to be too close, sprint just in case time to time because everyone and their mother will focus you. With feated KF and SS, you'll be able to snipe some easy kills even on high geared players. Good luck, I wish you patience :)
    M6 almost drains your soul given how boring it is. (c) joocycuzzzzzz
    edited January 2015
    Also, the above overly coloured comments are very wrong. It's especially funny to see Temptation being suggested as being super-survivable in PvP. Way to misunderstand the healing depression mechanic.
    Oh, my bad!

Please accept my sincerest apologies for not understanding how the Scourge Warlock class, and the immensely complex equation known as 'Healing Depression', works.

I'll just take my ball, now that the experts have arrived, and go home then... :cool:

To the OP, I'll suggest trying out different builds on the test shard, and test the PvP nature with a friend in the Open PvP Area of Icewind Dale. See what you like, and feel free to rock with that! :)

Edit: mehguy138's post above mine has a slew of good information in it!
    va8Ru.gif
  • nazghul22nazghul22 Member Posts: 407 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    a warlock is probably the worst possible choice right now.
    Bar gwf of course. But it's easy to forget this extinct class.
    For the race, DB or Halfling.
    ToD = ..........
    Tired of Dailies/Tyranny of Dailies/Timers of Doom/Tricked Or Duped/Tremendously Obnoxious Dailies/Try Otherwise, Devs
    edited January 2015
    mehguy138 wrote: »
    SW is gimped because of lack of surviving/dealing damage mechanics based on weapon damage, autoprocs, piercing damage etc. To deal damage you have to actually aim your s**t. An it's so painfully slow.

Yep, that's a real irritant. The casting animations, too.. they're laughably slow, making you so easy to predict and counter. Even the at-wills are glacial :)
    Oh, my bad!

Please accept my sincerest apologies for not understanding how the Scourge Warlock class, and the immensely complex equation known as 'Healing Depression', works.

I'll just take my ball, now that the experts have arrived, and go home then... :cool:

Please do.
  • letsrollsomeletsrollsome Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The Warlock is by far the best class in game!

It can heal!
    It can spawn army to help you kill stuff!
    It haz lazerbeam pewpew!

Stick with it, others just jelous, dont listen to them!

They had to buff TR so OP so that they dont complain getting killed by mighty warlock all time!
    Because warlock haz ballz and mighty lazerbeam!

BITE IT!
    edited January 2015
    *frowns and waves dismissively*

Some trollfest comming our way
    edited January 2015
    vasdamas wrote: »
    *frowns and waves dismissively*

Some trollfest comming our way

I could be wrong, but I believe it's a little parody in the style of "Alamo teechs u 2 play DURID". Maybe I'm overthinking it, but I did chuckle.

The point is sound, though. The class needs a lot of fixing to not fail at PvP. The fact that the class is a wrecking ball in PvE proves little, as the skill ceiling has become so amazingly low of late, that the overexcited "high-end PvErs" have become something of a curio.. Why do they even exist, other than to seek the validation of the terminally bewildered, just starting out?

If you ignore the gibberingly hyperbolic, the soundest advice would come from people not suffering from a spot of Dunning-Kruger, who understand enough of the problems of the class to know that it's bad- and have formed useful mitigation strategies. I quite liked mehguy's suggestions above- as at least they're practical, realistic, and read like he has actually done some PvP against conscious opponents.
    edited January 2015
    Bottom line OP, I hope you enjoy the SW class and even though it may not be the best in PvP, you can definitely still have fun with it!

Please do.
    You're not particularly good at understanding tongue in cheek sarcasm via text based communication, eh? In all honesty it can be hard to pick up on, and much is lost in translation... :cool:

That's fine bud, hakuna matata!
    I quite liked mehguy's suggestions above...
    See, we DO agree... :D
    va8Ru.gif
  • stah01stah01 Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited January 2015

I might agree with that until you fight Singood and get your *** handed to you. Guy is the best SW on server. SW does need some PvP love but Dev's will go too far and it will be the new FotM class and be OP.

I think a good choice for SW is dragonborn if you have the pack. If you dont want to pay for that I would probably go Tiefling. I dont think I have seen a halfling SW yet.
    GShBCGl.jpg
  • rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2015
    Very poor CC skills. Poor CC breaks.

And yes, that Singood guy is probably the best PVP SW on the server, but the class handicap hinders him from being one of the best pvp forces in the server.