test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Map Transfer Crashes

kain9primekain9prime Member Posts: 2 Arc User
edited January 2015 in Bug Reports (PC)
Game crashes when I try to go to BLACKLAKE. It's done it with 2 characters, one of which, I deleted. When I try to re-log, it get's stuck patching. No progress, or numbers or anything meaningful that shows there's some progress....just, "patching." It's not just for Neverwinter either - the log in screens for Star Trek and Champions will lock out after that and just sit there trying to patch themselves until I reboot the computer. When the computer turns off, there's a screen that says Ending program: Cryptic joystick - or whatever it is.

I'm able to transfer to other maps with no problem on all my other characters and games UNTIL I come to this game and try to go to BLACKLAKE. Safe log in and Normal log in DON'T WORK. It continues to crash, so I'm left having to delete the characters since they're useless in crash limbo. So is anyone else having a map transfer issue to BLACKLAKE or anywhere else that causes this mess?

:/
The artist formally known as Romulus_Prime
Post edited by kain9prime on

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Initializing...
    Attaching to crashed process...
    Harvesting data from crashed process...
    Mode: Customer
    Gathering Data Validation Info...

I have this little thing on the bottom rt hand corner, so has it even been sending all my error reports?

• Options
    lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    First suggestion would be to turn off on-demand patching in the launcher options.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Just tried it again. It crashed again.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    I have a feeling this thread is going to disappear into obscurity, and my game problems will not get fixed by official means. That's what happened with STO - Cryptic said the problem was on my end, the ONE and ONLY time one of their reps responded to the issue I was having was just a "we'll look into it and I'll get back to you" message. I think that was the summer of 2011. Still waiting for that guy to get back to me...

• Options
    kacsanwkacsanw Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    kain9prime wrote: »
    Game crashes when I try to go to BLACKLAKE. It's done it with 2 characters, one of which, I deleted. When I try to re-log, it get's stuck patching. No progress, or numbers or anything meaningful that shows there's some progress....just, "patching." It's not just for Neverwinter either - the log in screens for Star Trek and Champions will lock out after that and just sit there trying to patch themselves until I reboot the computer. When the computer turns off, there's a screen that says Ending program: Cryptic joystick - or whatever it is.

I'm able to transfer to other maps with no problem on all my other characters and games UNTIL I come to this game and try to go to BLACKLAKE. Safe log in and Normal log in DON'T WORK. It continues to crash, so I'm left having to delete the characters since they're useless in crash limbo. So is anyone else having a map transfer issue to BLACKLAKE or anywhere else that causes this mess?

The neverending patching is caused by the crashed (client) process. Start Task Manager, switch to Processes tab. You will find the running (but stuck) client there. Just force close it w/ End Process and attempt to run the game again (or restart the system, but it is slow).
    I have no clue why entering blacklake causes the crash.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    kacsanw wrote: »
    The neverending patching is caused by the crashed (client) process. Start Task Manager, switch to Processes tab. You will find the running (but stuck) client there. Just force close it w/ End Process and attempt to run the game again (or restart the system, but it is slow).
    I have no clue why entering blacklake causes the crash.
    Thank you! I'll give that a try when I get home from work tonight.

:cool:
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Just tried it. It closed out the never ending error report that apparently went no where, but the Cryptic log in screens continued to remain locked in "Patching" mode.

---

So WTF Cryptic? Do I just delete this character like my last one, and NOT attempt any other map transfers with my long-term characters? What do I do with your game at this point?

• Options
    kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2015
    kain9prime wrote: »
    Initializing...
    Attaching to crashed process...
    Harvesting data from crashed process...
    Mode: Customer
    Gathering Data Validation Info...

I have this little thing on the bottom rt hand corner, so has it even been sending all my error reports?

Sadly, the bug reporter is.. incredibly buggy. You couldn't make it up.
  • Options
    blackjackwidowblackjackwidow Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 424 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Do you have a toon that is NOT trying to get into Blacklake? Can that toon get in and change maps to somewhere you've been before? It does sound a lot like the on demand patching is on.

The other thing you said - shutdown brings up 'ending cryptic joystick' - if you get in-game, go to your options menu and turn off game controller support (unless you have a game controller, I suppose). I can't find this in any of my processes or services, I know I've left it disabled. Perhaps this is the cause, a simple accidental check one day?

If you just turned off 'on demand patching', it may not be locked in patching as much as actually patching. When the server load is high (especially toward the end of an event, like now with the winter festival), it can take a really long time to download all the maps if you've never done it. Incredibly frustrating, but it may take hours.

If you've always had on demand patching off, and just force-closed stuff, I would also suggest completely shutting down the computer and then starting it back again. I know, sounds like an uninformed 1st level tech support, but starting around Windows Vista, the 'restart' isn't really closing out all processes. So, just as a 'to be sure' measure, you should shut it down completely and force it to totally reboot.

I wish you great luck. If nothing else works, try out the suggestions and post in this thread:
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?185612-Feedback-Lag-and-Rubberbanding
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Do you have a toon that is NOT trying to get into Blacklake? Can that toon get in and change maps to somewhere you've been before? It does sound a lot like the on demand patching is on.
    Yeah, that character was able to to the first mission where you try and get to the crown, and she was able to go to the Winter festival and back with no issues.
    The other thing you said - shutdown brings up 'ending cryptic joystick' - if you get in-game, go to your options menu and turn off game controller support (unless you have a game controller, I suppose). I can't find this in any of my processes or services, I know I've left it disabled. Perhaps this is the cause, a simple accidental check one day?
    I don't think so. Both incidents occurred with new characters, but I'll see if I can find it and double check it.
    If you just turned off 'on demand patching', it may not be locked in patching as much as actually patching. When the server load is high (especially toward the end of an event, like now with the winter festival), it can take a really long time to download all the maps if you've never done it. Incredibly frustrating, but it may take hours.
    Already did that. It still does it, unfortunately.
    If you've always had on demand patching off, and just force-closed stuff, I would also suggest completely shutting down the computer and then starting it back again. I know, sounds like an uninformed 1st level tech support, but starting around Windows Vista, the 'restart' isn't really closing out all processes. So, just as a 'to be sure' measure, you should shut it down completely and force it to totally reboot.
    Trust me, I've tried all of that. I'll keep at it.
    I wish you great luck. If nothing else works, try out the suggestions and post in this thread:
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?185612-Feedback-Lag-and-Rubberbanding
    Thank you - I truly appreciate any help from anyone here. The community on STO helped me fix the problems I had after Cryptic implemented Season 4: Misfire, so it's nice to know people here are just as awesome.

:cool:
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Couldn't find an option for "game controller support." Quite a bit of slowdown going on also - much more than there was 4 months ago when I last played consistently.