test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A few things I noticed about Characters.

warblade87warblade87 Member Posts: 78 Arc User
edited December 2014 in The Moonstone Mask (PC)
I've been playing this game since beta and have always loved roleplaying, both in Champions Online and in here. I've always found myself reading character bios every chance I get and I have noticed a rather large trend with casual RP.

1. Why are so many characters extremely sex oriented.

2. Why must all the characters be dark and edgy?

3. Drow are about half the population from what I see. Not a problem since they are a game option, but it feels like there are a lot of Drizzt copies running around. Good drow were supposed to be a rare exception.

Again, just some observations I have made.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ulvielulviel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 741 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Sex oriented? I didn't notice, to be honest. But you might have a point about "dark and edgy". I suppose it's because so many teens are playing, and they have such tendency, it's normal.
    My chars also wanted to share their opinions:

Ulv: I am in the Mask for dance and drink. Well maybe some flirt. But with cute guys only! That I have style, charming personality and a perfect body noone can resist doesn't mean I am sex oriented!

Ulf: Most of drow living on the surface are in fact not evil. If we were, we would be happy staying in the Underdark! But since we are not, we had to escape from there. Makes perfect sense.

Drizzt Do'Ulven: Not my fault mother had no imagination!

Ul'v Do'Ulven: Bah! Stupid surfacers won't realize we are here to conquer them in the name of Lolth! First we dull their vigilance, and then, when they think we help them with the rest of those "adventurers", we attack and...

Ulfein: I don't care about their reasons, I'm here only for gold. And for Lol... ekhm, Silvanus' sake U'lv, you're not even a real drow!

U'lv Do'Ulven: You insolent jaluk, one more word and I'll flay you!

Ulf *whispering*: Psst Ulfein, abbil, we don't tell her she's a sun elf.

P.S. Most of my chars are not drow in case you wonder.
  • warblade87warblade87 Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I always found it more fun to be the character who views adventuring as a job and views cults, dungeons, demons, devils, and horros to be just workplace hazards. Kind of like that Soldier who goes "I'm deploying again...well at least it's a paycheck."
  • ulvielulviel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 741 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    warblade87 wrote: »
    I always found it more fun to be the character who views adventuring as a job and views cults, dungeons, demons, devils, and horros to be just workplace hazards. Kind of like that Soldier who goes "I'm deploying again...well at least it's a paycheck."

Some of my chars share this point of view, but most of them lack the common sense :D
  • destinyknightdestinyknight Member Posts: 962 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I dont know what you mean about sex oriented.

But I definitly agree with Drow over population, and most characters are (trying to) be dark and edgy.
  • dragoness10dragoness10 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 780 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I've been playing this game since beta and have always loved roleplaying, both in Champions Online and in here. I've always found myself reading character bios every chance I get and I have noticed a rather large trend with casual RP.

3. Drow are about half the population from what I see. Not a problem since they are a game option, but it feels like there are a lot of Drizzt copies running around. Good drow were supposed to be a rare exception.

Again, just some observations I have made.

1) Too many people think SRP = best RP. Put that as "sensual roleplay" for politeness sake. It's an easy way to initially get attention, but not an assured way to keep it.

2) See above. Apparently bright and bland are harder to RP. I once sat there RPing a whole nap. I've RPed sneezes. It's the greater challenge to RP the mundane as it requires good storytelling skills.

3) Dritzz is a template "good drow" therefore expect copies. It's harder to come up with your own version, or people just love the character so much they want to BE it. It's like dressing up as Superman, and then running around saying "WHOOOSSHHH" pretending to fly.

I would suggest people try more Ellistraens as "good drow", or Ice Drow, or other Llothite loathers. There's even patriarchal Drow houses. Try a half blood drow that's "good"?
    " I tried to figure out the enigma that was you, and then I realized mastering Wild Magic was easier." - Old Wizard in Waterdeep

"Why is it dragons only use ketchup? I'd like a little wasabi please. Us silvers like a variety of condiments."

"Don't call them foolish mortals. One, they don't learn from it. Two, It just ticks them off." - An Ancient Red Dragon
  • vasdamasvasdamas Member Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Dark-edgy? Honestly, at first I had a real trouble finding at least one reasonable evil character around. Oh and all those ERPers they call themselves...probably bigger reason that the trolls for me not to RP any more. Just sitting and watching the others RPing now.
  • urlord283urlord283 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,084 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    sex oriented? what does that mean... I am really missing something

Dark? I am lawful good but I will deal with Some Lawful evil...simply due to my background

All the said

I find very limited interaction in the game

Urlord
  • hefisdohefisdo Member Posts: 709 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2014
    urlord283 wrote: »
    sex oriented? what does that mean... I am really missing something
    I dont know what you mean about sex oriented.

I think what he meant is that all the characters appear to be cisgendered.
    (´・ ω ・`)
  • avengingangel93avengingangel93 Member Posts: 192 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Completely sex-orientated = completely dumb. To me, it strikes to me that you're playing nothing but a ***** ingame. How does this reflect on you as a player?
  • colonelwingcolonelwing Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Not to mention the gates, this ERP stuff opens up for PEDOS.

• blackylukeblackyluke Member Posts: 261 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Not to mention the gates, this ERP stuff opens up for PEDOS.

ARE YOU SCARED? Im coming for u. ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Its the internet DURR! http://youtu.be/m5z5U_xd8EU
    Look at the game itself:
    Well lot of the armor is pretty... revealing and form-fitting.
    There is also this: http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Emperor%27s_Mail_Shirt
    Sex sells!

As mentioned before - teens.
    In addition the anonymity of the internet (true or not)
    gives people the feeling of being able to exploit the forbidden
    and restricted. This also has to do with sexuality.
    Basic psychology, yo!

I like the Superman comparison on that one.
    I'd like to mention it's not only Drizzt! Whole LoTR characterlist just as an example are found in
    every instance of PE!
    Only once I saw a character named "Negrolas", gave me a good chuckle.
  • tharguthargu Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Well, ERP is present everywhere you find RP, honestly. In every game, every forum, on every website and even in some P&P's I've played there were always some who aimed for RP just for ERP's sake. That's a sad truth. As is the fact that there are as many minors doing ERP as there are Pedos.

About the 'dark and edgy'.
    Well-played 'evil' characters can be so much more than just your everyday antagonist. I admit that most of my RP-characters are 'dark' at some point, simply because most of them are Drow. And that is just what they are supposed to be - this sinister force in the background, picking up the strings and playing you long before you even notice it. At least if they are not one of the 72652 Drizzt-copies. But even if they aren't, schemeing to a certain characters disadvantage is always a touchy topic, since most Players don't exactly appreciate it, no matter how carefully it was set up or how well-planned it is or how many people you involved to 'rightfully' get there. Which is perfectly understandable. But it really limits the things an actually 'evil' character can do, apart from picking random brawls and trying to godmod people to death. Which is also rarely appreciated, for obvious reasons.
    And yes, danger attracts. I consider myself, too, guilty in this regard. ;) People like the bad boys as long as they don't have to deal with them.
    Taking all this into consideration I have to admit that I, personally, find a 'good' character (especially lawful stupid ones) easier to RP than evil ones. Simply because it comes more natural to most than the opposite side of the coin, OOCly. But regardless of alignment, any character can be interesting, as long as the player is able to give shape and depth to it. And does NOT turn him or her into a Sunelven catwoman from the underdark that has been mysteriously rescued because Lolth apparently briefly forgot about her portfolio and decided to take action, making that elf a demigod for some weird reason. Oh, and that catwoman of course now bears a child she never conceived that is able to destroy all of Faerun.
    Not kidding.

That said - yes, there are a lot of Drow being RP'd. And yes, tables are, apparently, turned here with actually 'evil' Drow being the rare exception (meaning, reasonably RP'd evil Drow that are not just there to godmod people and pick random brawls as stated above) and the 'good' Drow being the majority. And yes, lore-wise, it makes little to no sense.
    Then again - welcome to the internet and the world of RP.

:)
    "My call is your command, recruit, and failure is unacceptable."
  • dragoness10dragoness10 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 780 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Let's not confuse SRP with ERP.

Hmm a challenge to explain this in an appropriate manner. Here's my best go.

ERP - You can dance, pour a drink, eat a lollipop, go swimming in the pool, or give somebody a furtive look. It ranks PG most times, but could be PG 13. It's the hints of it, the subtle innuendo, and the teasing furtive looks. It's a lot of actions before THE ACTION.

SRP - The next step in it. Rated R. (I don't suggest doing it here due to Rules of Conduct, EULA, etc.) It's more explicit in THE ACTION in description, and yes some people do this in video games. Sometimes it's best skipped anyhow if you're more of a "fade to black" in scenes person, or "skip a chapter" sort to assumed results of the SRP.

Now to explain all those Fairy Orcs...... uhm, just no.
    " I tried to figure out the enigma that was you, and then I realized mastering Wild Magic was easier." - Old Wizard in Waterdeep

"Why is it dragons only use ketchup? I'd like a little wasabi please. Us silvers like a variety of condiments."

"Don't call them foolish mortals. One, they don't learn from it. Two, It just ticks them off." - An Ancient Red Dragon
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I can't help but think that the people who do or say explicit things in local chat do so to try and get a response from others around them. If you wanted to partake in those types of behaviors, but in a "serious" way, then you'd either use team or private messages.

That being said, I have exactly 1 Drow, (out of about a dozen characters), and of said characters, only 1 has a dark backstory/personality, (a Sun Elf who followed the path of the Warlock due to having no prowess with conventional magic or martial skills).
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • destinyknightdestinyknight Member Posts: 962 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I truthfully dont really even like drow. Not too keen with elves in general, but drow are my least favorite.
    Out of 12 of my characters, none are drow.

elves in general are very over played (understandably so, being half of the total races in the game being elves). And I kind of just got tired of seeing elves around.

Scratch that I do actually have a drow character but she isnt actually a drow, at all.
    And two half elves.
  • ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I like skimpy drow, so sue me. The reason I'm playing this:p

My second choice are tieflings, guess they're overused too but oh well.

If I wanted to be a human I'd play a non-fantasy game.
  • blackylukeblackyluke Member Posts: 261 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Now to explain all those Fairy Orcs...... uhm, just no.

gMIEaND.png

Look at her tiny teeth...