test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

grasping roots?

user4035user4035 Member Posts: 145 Bounty Hunter
edited January 2015 in The Wilds
I was reading the tooltips for grasping roots and it says its half effective vs players.
I read the stuns and CC stuff for my rogue and it says no such thing.

Why is this?

is it a balance issue? oversight? incompetence in game design?
Post edited by user4035 on

Comments

• query523query523 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    When HR came out People were using multiple roots to CC in PVP. It did not kill anyone but was extremely annoying so lots of folks QQed about it. Ever since then they have adjusted roots to make PVP happier...
  • rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    query523 wrote: »
    When HR came out People were using multiple roots to CC in PVP. It did not kill anyone but was extremely annoying so lots of folks QQed about it. Ever since then they have adjusted roots to make PVP happier...

HR roots are a given mechanic,
    you dont have to give up nothing for them.
    if you want to take Full advantages from roots you have to spec trapper.\

and yes, back in time things worked like query described.
  • user4035user4035 Member Posts: 145 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2014
    Ah so incompetence when it comes to game design. That's the reason, got ya.
    edited December 2014
    Well 1/2 design flaws and half the QQ-NerfNow mentality in the player base. Remember HR came out Mod2 along with the unstoppable GWF of doom. Like I said roots were not causing fatalities but they did prevent GWFs from closing with and killing everything in one rotation. Naturally everyone rolling the FoTM threw a fit over that. And yeah Raydan I'm rolling a Trapper build currently. I don't think it is better than a comparable combat in PVP but it's better in PVE and I do both. Besides I miss the old tab-spam you could do when we had concentrating aim and prime critical to get redonculous recovery.
  • ximaeximae Member Posts: 534 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2014
    well ur forgetting the thing about roots back then that annoyed people the most, they went through cc inmunities. Thats why trs and gwf QQd so much about them.

It was fun to lock bosses down in pve though XD.
    edited December 2014
    That was really what was lame about the change to constricting. In PVE having a tripple interupt to drop on mobs that CC when you have no CC immunity at all was a godsend. I basically used constrict and disrupt to block out CC mobs constantly. Noe back to just dodging them....
    edited December 2014
    ... And yeah Raydan I'm rolling a Trapper build currently. I don't think it is better than a comparable combat in PVP but it's better in PVE and I do both. Besides I miss the old tab-spam you could do when we had concentrating aim and prime critical to get redonculous recovery.

I respeced the other day to pathfinder. I haven't picked my feats yet. Any tips on how trapper is?
    I liked stormwarden but only really used the melee attack since the rest is kinda meh.

Trapper seems neat. I like switching stances alot.
    Also, how is best to use ambush? The stealth.... pve seems not needed and in pvp most people see right through it or just attack the air and hit you anyway.

ximae wrote: »
    well ur forgetting the thing about roots back then that annoyed people the most, they went through cc inmunities. Thats why trs and gwf QQd so much about them.

It was fun to lock bosses down in pve though XD.

Ah, so incompetent game design AND incompetent programming(bugs).
    edited December 2014
    I'm actually SW build but I can give you the highlights for Trapper: ]
    1. Swiftness of the Fox > recovery or RG bonus.
    2. The hidden joy in Master Trapper is the AP gain that makes things like Seismic pretty spammable. (side not it counts as a ranged attack for Serpent regardless of stance so if at full ranged serpent in melle you can full-serpent/ seismic/ melle attack for full serpent then switch to ranged)
    3. Thorned Roots makes stacking for strong root attacks pretty effective those ticks kill a lot of things. Ancient Roots really stretch this effect.
    4. You are going to be switching a lot so things like Deft Strikes and Serpent's Bite pay dividends.

From here you can guess most of my feat tree except first pick Trapper. I took the move speed as often I am closing while using ranged attacks.
    edited January 2015
    I'm actually SW build but I can give you the highlights for Trapper: ]
    1. Swiftness of the Fox > recovery or RG bonus.
    2. The hidden joy in Master Trapper is the AP gain that makes things like Seismic pretty spammable. (side not it counts as a ranged attack for Serpent regardless of stance so if at full ranged serpent in melle you can full-serpent/ seismic/ melle attack for full serpent then switch to ranged)
    3. Thorned Roots makes stacking for strong root attacks pretty effective those ticks kill a lot of things. Ancient Roots really stretch this effect.
    4. You are going to be switching a lot so things like Deft Strikes and Serpent's Bite pay dividends.

From here you can guess most of my feat tree except first pick Trapper. I took the move speed as often I am closing while using ranged attacks.

Thanks, this has helped alot and kinda makes the ranger a bit more fun.

I gotta ask which 'at will' powers do you use? I don't really know which ones to use.
    Split shot seems great, heck when the enemies are close sometimes I sitll use its ranged. Also its melee power annoys me with its camera zoom with each attack.
    Stormwardens electric shot is fairly weak for ranged but I love its melee power(when I was speced melee though...)
    Aimed shot doesn't seem that great unless you spec archer. The melee bleed power is ok.

Rapid shot is decent. But with all these other powers it seems like a dull power.
  • noetic2noetic2 Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Like I said roots were not causing fatalities but they did prevent GWFs from closing with and killing everything in one rotation.
    I am pretty sure that the reason Roots are in their present form is to spare Control Wizards. I have never played as a CW, so I can't say for sure, but I thought that it interrupted spells. At the very least, those brief pauses were deadly for them. As Roots are now, they (in theory) should, like in PvE, root melee players to the ground, but that is not going to matter much for players with ranged attacks.
  • avengingangel93avengingangel93 Member Posts: 192 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    They basically stripped the HR's rooting ability right down into something hardly adequate. A lot of HRs were offput by the "nerf."
  • noetic2noetic2 Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    They basically stripped the HR's rooting ability right down into something hardly adequate. A lot of HRs were offput by the "nerf."
    I would argue that they are "hardly adequate" in PvE, but far less than adequate in PvP. Especially compared to all the CC employed by some of the other classes. (TR's Daze.) I do well against weaker creatures in PvE, but feel like my damage is severely limited against creatures that are immune to Thorned Roots. And there seem to be a more of them than for the CC of other classes. I'll tag players in PvP with Constricting Arrow and they run off like it's nothing. I have played less PvP since the nerf, so I'm not really sure, but if they are not being rooted, how can they be receiving much damage from Thorned Roots, which takes some time to do anything significant?