test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

trying to understand fighter class

lanax64lanax64 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
edited December 2014 in PvE Discussion
I am still trying to understand some of the basics of this game. I have played alot of DnD old school style. what i dont understand is why do caster not need mana or ingredients for spells plus why are all the spells insta cast? why do Hr not need to have a quiver with a limited amount of arrows in it, they have free endless arrows. why do roques get unlimited free throwing knives? none of these things seems possible in a DnD world nor in the real world at that rate.

So then should not gwf and gf get unlimited throwing spears? it would only seem fair giving all the other rules have gone out the window..plus in DnD and in real life warrior do use spears to throw.

And please dont mention SoS it doesnt hurt anybody anymore.
Post edited by lanax64 on

Comments

• darkballaddarkballad Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Wizards and clerics not needing to memorize or pray for spells: I have two rationales for you. One, the spells are of such a low level that the caster is able to easily imbue items to cast unlimited. Two, they are easily cast as cantrips. Notice no fireballs, lightning bolts, finger of death, disintegrate, horrid wilting, or implosion.

All HRs are blessed with infinite ammo enchantments. That is a requirement to be an HR now a days. Same with rogues.
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Ummm because it's an mmo and the things you mentioned would make worse. Did you ever play wow wotlk or earlier? You had classes that had less inventory space than others, and needed to constantly spend tons of gold to be able to fight. Other characters had the more space and almost no gold expendatures. The removal of those mechanics is one of the best things in recent mmos. They add nothing to the game but inventory management that takes you away from playing the game.
  • lanax64lanax64 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    yes i did play wow 7 years..was hunter mostly and yes i kept the best arrows in game in my bag..that took time and effort and also seperated me from other hunters that would buy cheap vendor arrows..i was quite upset they took that out of game. however this is not the case in this game..still my question is should not the gwf and gf have unlimited throwing spears? given the fact other classes have taken away all the penalties of their class..for example while a wizard is casting a 2 round spell..this is the one chance a warrior can attack. if warrior doesnt he is probaly dead basicaly because normal armor does not stop a spell.
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    lanax64 wrote: »
    yes i did play wow 7 years..was hunter mostly and yes i kept the best arrows in game in my bag..that took time and effort and also seperated me from other hunters that would buy cheap vendor arrows..i was quite upset they took that out of game. however this is not the case in this game..still my question is should not the gwf and gf have unlimited throwing spears? given the fact other classes have taken away all the penalties of their class..for example while a wizard is casting a 2 round spell..this is the one chance a warrior can attack. if warrior doesnt he is probaly dead basicaly because normal armor does not stop a spell.

There's this thing they try to do called balance. In theory your fighter shouldn't need spears, hence they weren't programed in. Your fighters armor does however block spells in this game, your defense applies to all forms of damage. This means that even if you play a caster you need armor penetration as well. So no. I think you are completely wrong on in all parts of your argument.
  • tantivetyrelltantivetyrell Member Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    what i dont understand is why do caster not need mana or ingredients for spells plus why are all the spells insta cast?

This part is because of mystras murder and the spellplague. It changed the fundementals of how spells are cast, what kind of spells etc.
  • rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I am still trying to understand some of the basics of this game. I have played alot of DnD old school style. what i dont understand is why do caster not need mana or ingredients for spells plus why are all the spells insta cast? why do Hr not need to have a quiver with a limited amount of arrows in it, they have free endless arrows. why do roques get unlimited free throwing knives? none of these things seems possible in a DnD world nor in the real world at that rate.

So then should not gwf and gf get unlimited throwing spears? it would only seem fair giving all the other rules have gone out the window..plus in DnD and in real life warrior do use spears to throw.

i dont want to argue but let s make all the examples ok?
    a great weapon fighter using invisible shield ...
    a great fat 100kg armor weapon fighter running like a ferrari turbocharged ....
    casters who benefits from armor penetration....with magic...
    the game has only dnd features, you are not playing dnd
  • overdriver13overdriver13 Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited December 2014

This is an action combat mmo that has very little to do with dnd aside from the brand. Not very nuanced but it is fun! =)
  • dante126pldante126pl Banned Users Posts: 257 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2014
    would love to throw small axes or spears with my GWF o.o
  • burkaancburkaanc Member Posts: 2,186 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    would be nicer to have a bag of midget TRs and throw them instead, if we dont have to worry about inventory space, feeding them etc.
    Paladin Master Race
  • hypervoreianhypervoreian Member Posts: 1,036 Arc User
    edited December 2014

^^^

+1 friend.
    Ranged classes are OP in current NWO.Too much dps ,and easy one through passives(assailant-CWs ) or DoTs (ninja HRs).
    Above that they have supreme defence mechanics.Cws have frame immunity after dodges (in total duration more than our Steel defence feat lol :( ) and HR is plain broken.
    Exec Trs through a feat ignore 25% of DR.Trololol.

Simply put GWf/GFs are in extreme disadvantage in current NWo against ranged classes.

The devs need to raise hardcap from defence .I find it quite annoying and ridicoulous that GF dragon set offers defence as a bonus.250 defence made my DR from 48,4% to 48,8%.At the same time HR set gives them 250 arm pen and 250 power.Both oif that have no diminishing returns.

GF and GWFs are severely handicapped in current meta.DPS of all classes is skyrocketing through power/arm pen whilew defence has a hard cap and remains the same.

The animation for throwing javelin is already in the game ,the first att will of DC.The spear stabbing is also in the game-lizzard wariors in the floating island.
    If the devs wanted they could give a daily that would make a Gf to throw a javelin ,in no time.

But they don't,they do not play warrior classes (except Acro who is comm manager and not dev).