test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Need reworking on armor/weapon enchantments

yolohahahayolohahaha Member Posts: 39 Arc User
edited December 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
I have been playing the game since 2013. In the view of a PvE player, I am very tired of being with Vorpal and Soulforged.

Why are vorpal and soul the most popular weapon/ armor enchant?
Cause they give the most ''realistic'' profit to players:
- Vorpal bases on Crit severity which means if ur daily/ encounters/ at-will deal more DPS, the profit of Vorpal will be increased by the same amount --> very flexible and effective.
* other weapon enchants:
+ mostly are limited cause they base on weapon damage (variate from some percents to around 20-30%) which is very very very stupid, the amount of weapon damage today places around (400 damage to around 1000 damage), so the dps that is produced by other weapon enchants(not vorpal) is surely under 300 for each proc.
+ in mod 5, mostly ever players have their power more than 7k, some even reached 10k - 14k power. that amount of power let players output dps like: 5000 damage (low GS) to even some hundreds thousand damage. As a CW my output dps always places around some thousands (at will) to 100k damage (encounters, daily)

> compare the dps we deal with the DPS that other weapon enchantments (not vorpal) produce, it doesn't make anything different at all. It's like 30k damage + 300 damage... Isn't this something really stupid?

- Same story with Soul, soul gives us a chance to raise up after death and it heals us too --> very effective in PvE, even in PvP now.
*So what is the point with other enchantments? When they proc their effect... they don't make anything difference--> useless x1. Then suddenly u need to wait for 20s 30s or even up to 60s so they can proc one more time --> incredibly useless X2.

So finally these lacks of profit lead to the situation that people only do Vorpal + Soul for the most --> it limits me and other people who want to create a new build with new enchants (not vorpal + soul) --> the game becomes bored when all players have same build and same playing style.

In near time, I hope Cryptic will be able to rework on enchantments and make them more ''realistic'' and more effective so people can enjoy the game in their own way.

Thank you.
Post edited by yolohahaha on

Comments

• lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    OR they could just include an option to turn off your armor and weapon enchants because, quite frankly, the enchants spoil the look and detail of the gear they enhance. I'm sick of running around with a big neon sign on my back!
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • vasdamasvasdamas Member Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I don't use soulforged, I think it's one of the most useless and deceiving enchantments due to two things:
    1) It sometimes does not proc at all.
    2) It grants a feeling of "immortality". You feel like you can facetank everything, ignore red zones and do whatever your squishy class is not supposed to do.

Barkshield is way better imo. Some extra HP pool + annoying adds won't drag you from your mount when you run near by.
  • shadevpshadevp Member Posts: 234 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Well, just bear in mind that from the devs point of view it's much easier to level all other enchantments by simply nerfing the ones that most people consider BIS.
    So, know your wishes ;)
  • yolohahahayolohahaha Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    vasdamas wrote: »
    I don't use soulforged, I think it's one of the most useless and deceiving enchantments due to two things:
    1) It sometimes does not proc at all.
    2) It grants a feeling of "immortality". You feel like you can facetank everything, ignore red zones and do whatever your squishy class is not supposed to do.

Barkshield is way better imo. Some extra HP pool + annoying adds won't drag you from your mount when you run near by.

it really depends on:
    - If PvE, Barkshield can't help me to improve my survive chance. With the huge number of adds and the insane DPS that adds deal on me, some thousands blocked damage from barkshield means totally nothing. In fact, my life saver is nothing but Life stealth , therefore, soul gives me a second chance to steal HP from adds.
    - If PvP, then Soul and bark are both good. But one more thing that i also have to mention here is that, ppl with high end gear deal insane DPS in pvp, some ppl can output a crit like 20k+ damage in once single encounter --> at this point, blocked damage from bark becomes suddenly useless. This is also the explanation to Why Barks are cheaper than soul in AH right now, ppl just skip over bark and turn to soul!

---> analyzing in two perspectives (PvE and PvP) ---> soul is still the most dominated kind of armor enchants. GG.
    edited December 2014
    yolohahaha wrote: »
    it really depends on:
    - If PvE, Barkshield can't help me to improve my survive chance. With the huge number of adds and the insane DPS that adds deal on me, some thousands blocked damage from barkshield means totally nothing. In fact, my life saver is nothing but Life stealth , therefore, soul gives me a second chance to steal HP from adds.
    - If PvP, then Soul and bark are both good. But one more thing that i also have to mention here is that, ppl with high end gear deal insane DPS in pvp, some ppl can output a crit like 20k+ damage in once single encounter --> at this point, blocked damage from bark becomes suddenly useless. This is also the explanation to Why Barks are cheaper than soul in AH right now, ppl just skip over bark and turn to soul!

---> analyzing in two perspectives (PvE and PvP) ---> soul is still the most dominated kind of armor enchants. GG.
    Barkshield respects your damage resistance and deflection. It's flat HP pool and it always works, unlike soulforged so no thanks, I'd rather have something working for me all the time.

And soulforged leaves you prone/without stamina in PvE sometimes too, I've got enought lottery in PvE without that.
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    A rework of enchantments is already on the devs plate. Maybe next module?
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
    edited December 2014
    ironzerg79 wrote: »
    A rework of enchantments is already on the devs plate. Maybe next module?

Was it any info bou that on 4rum? can u link me? Thnx.
  • zvieriszvieris Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Barkshield respects your damage resistance and deflection. It's flat HP pool and it always works, unlike soulforged so no thanks, I'd rather have something working for me all the time.

And soulforged leaves you prone/without stamina in PvE sometimes too, I've got enought lottery in PvE without that.

If you have the lathander set, soulforged is so much more better than barkshield.
  • ortzhyortzhy Member Posts: 1,103 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2014
    Was it any info bou that on 4rum? can u link me? Thnx.

if i recall well it was in the first AMA with Rogers.. think you can follow a link from news page to it. But they;ve said they want to do it and not that they are doing it.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited December 2014
    A rework of Enchantments to better normalize their effects is/was being worked on however they have not disclosed if it can be expected any time soon. If I recall correctly it was mentioned by Gentlemancrush just before Module 4 (and numerous class balances) was released so it has been quite a while since we have heard anything.

However whether it is still actively being worked on or not it is still something the developers have said they are not happy with in its current iteration.
    edited December 2014
    zvieris wrote: »
    If you have the lathander set, soulforged is so much more better than barkshield.
    According to the devs artifact sets should be something barely noticable and look like a small bonus :) I can say that BI and Imperial sets fit that description but lathander is not, which makes me feel it's not going last for too long :P
  • rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Barkshield got ninja fixed. Before it shielded eay more than stated.
    It was common to shield a whole ibs just to name one.
    Vorpal and soul are the only usefull enchants.
    Then there is plague fire to abuse some bugs, stop
  • silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    the problem I see it is there, either the enchantment is overly useful compared to everything else and they clearly have some that have such limited usage, they are almost worthless, even if they marginalized the former, the latter are so underwhelming in performance, they will almost never be useful (cooldowns are yuck as well)
    edited December 2014
    Okay, only barkshield is somewhat good in some situations. But what about bloodtheft, thunderhead, briartwine, negation and frostburn armor enchantments? Thunderhead has too short stun (hardly noticable in pvp), bloodtheft is just laughable because it triggers below 50%. In current dungeons 50% HP is very often equals RIP. Briartwine? Well, not too bad for some deflect builds but still pales comparing to barkshield and soulforged IMO.
    Oh and negation...has some really interesting effect but the duration. Dunno, either this enchantment needs a complete overhaul or the duration/effect buffed a lil bit.

Weapon enchantments don't suffer as much as the armor enchantments but still their effects are obsolete/depressed. Like bilethorn that is self-killing enchantment sometimes with ferocious reaction and other reflect powers (still does well in pve though. Not as p.vorpal but still well). Or lifedrinker...just don't know, some say it's good, I tested that in PvE and it turned out I had better survivability and lifesteal with my old perfect vorpal :D
  • pmabrahampmabraham Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I use Terror weapon enchantment as it helps the team vs. looking out for just personal DPS.
    edited December 2014
    pmabraham wrote: »
    I use Terror weapon enchantment as it helps the team vs. looking out for just personal DPS.

In PvP, It could be something.

in my PvE perspective, Terror isn't much usefull. Adds have nothing but tons of HP and a little bit number of armor, ... so armor penetration/ armor reducing effect is not a good choice. It's such a wasting of trying to hard to reduce adds' armor while they don't have much armor.
    edited December 2014

in my PvE perspective, Terror isn't much usefull. Adds have nothing but tons of HP and a little bit number of armor, ... so armor penetration/ armor reducing effect is not a good choice. It's such a wasting of trying to hard to reduce adds' armor while they don't have much armor.

Negative mitigation?
  • twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
    edited December 2014

Enchantments that reduce defence are actually a straight DPS boost in PvE because mobs don't have a defence stat. This applies to Terror, Plaguefire, Bronzewood, etc.
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder
    edited December 2014
    Negative mitigation?

does it even exist? have never read or heard about that thing.
    edited December 2014
    Enchantments that reduce defence are actually a straight DPS boost in PvE because mobs don't have a defence stat. This applies to Terror, Plaguefire, Bronzewood, etc.

Hm, this is new for me, didnt know that negative mitigation existed.
    edited December 2014

I use Barkshield on 2 toons (HR & TR) and Soulforged on two others (CW & SW). My DC currently has a Negation I had lying around. I'll be replacing that as I gear her up and can afford it.

I've never had a problem with Soulforge not proccing, although in most PvE content that's hardly a common occurrence. I do like Barkshield but the advantage with Soulforged is that you get 100% of the useful effect at Lesser. It's a handy fall-back if you mess up or get hit with a OHK from one of the newer bosses. Barkshield gives you a benefit 100% of the time but you need to level it to get the full benefit.

For weapon enchantments I have 2 toons with Vorpal (HR & TR), CW has PF, SW has Terror, DC has Bronzewood. Since I'm a poverty player they are all Lesser. I think the only other one that gets some use is Lightning on certain builds.
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Darquess - Soulbinder
    edited December 2014
    There's a good guide to how damage and debuffs work here, including formulas and examples:

http://laggygamerz.com/forum/index.php?/topic/382-kaelac%E2%80%99s-guide-to-damage-tenacity-reisistance-and-debuffs-in-neverwinter/#3

Basically, if you have at least 24% Resistance Ignored then your damage is boosted by roughly the listed debuff percent.
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Darquess - Soulbinder
    edited December 2014
    I'd really like to see a response of the developers on this. They said they had something in mind 2 modules ago and still not a single sign of change.
    Variety, where are you? ._.
  • rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    false, mitigation of defence is not equal to damage bonus. here the number assuming you have 2400 armor pen

g.plague fire = 9% damage boost
    p. terror = 4.5% damage boost
    g. bronzewood = 16% damage boost for 10 seconds every 20 seconds. 10 seconds downtime.
    edited December 2014
    rayrdan wrote: »
    false, mitigation of defence is not equal to damage bonus. here the number assuming you have 2400 armor pen

g.plague fire = 9% damage boost
    p. terror = 4.5% damage boost
    g. bronzewood = 16% damage boost for 10 seconds every 20 seconds. 10 seconds downtime.
    You don't need 2400 ArPen. You just need 24% Resistance Ignored.

PF and Terror are odd. They're the only cases where the tooltip defence debuff =/= damage buff and I'm not sure if they work differently or the tooltip is wrong.
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I'm afraid of these requests people make on these. I'm too cynical and keep thinking it will turn into a corrupt a wish.
  • aulduronaulduron Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,351 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Plaguefire, terror and higher rank lightning are all good.