dodgododgo Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 870 Arc User
edited December 2014 in PvE Discussion
im thinking this ^
Post edited by dodgo on

Comments

• Options
    rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2014
    Well there is a thing called "fun". It is fun to queue with your friends. It is fun to queue with your guildmates. It is less frustrating as well.

Also, every raid has the option of queueing as a 25-man group. It is stupid that this raid from this particular MMO came out without one.
  • Options
    djoffer1djoffer1 Member Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    dodgo wrote: »
    im thinking this ^

Really guess my 10 out of 10 failures is just bad luck then??
  • Options
    tickdofftickdoff Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    djoffer1 wrote: »
    Really guess my 10 out of 10 failures is just bad luck then??

From my experience, yes. it is a run of bad luck.

Personally, I despise doing the Zerg method, and the vast majority of my failures are due to an improperly run Zerg. All I ask is that I be able to join the style of run that I desire. I wish everyone the best of luck in Zerging, but i do NOT want to be forced to zerg in every run, and that is almost the way it is now. I watch /Legit for the suggested time to attempt a "Tactical" run, but virtually every time it is highjacked by people wanting to zerg.

The reason for this is simple: If 4 people out of 25 want to zerg then they run to Black. Which means that Black usually has too many people, and some other head does not have enough. So the tactical approach will no longer work, due to the lack of a dedicated team for each head. In those (increasingly common) situations all of the good players, who are watching what is happening, adjust to compensate by joining the zerg, because they are stand up guys (and gals) who are willing to work for the good of the group despite not wanting to use the zerg method. In those situations the 4 people who want to zerg have now forced the rest of the group to do it their way. I DO NOT LIKE THIS.

I want to run with 24 other people who want to split into separate groups, each focus on a specific color, guard our clerics, help each other when needed, and have a nice, smooth, easy Tiamat fight. The vast majority of the Tactical runs I have been a part of were quick and easy with no stress, no complaining and I have managed to add several people to my friends list because of the teamwork.

However, since yesterday, it seems that the zerg has become pervasive. I am attempting to avoid the zerg groups, attempting to avoid it in every way I can. Unfortunately my ability to avoid the zerg is minimal. I want that to change.
  • Options
    lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    tickdoff wrote: »

Personally, I despise doing the Zerg method, and the vast majority of my failures are due to an improperly run Zerg. All I ask is that I be able to join the style of run that I desire. I wish everyone the best of luck in Zerging, but i do NOT want to be forced to zerg in every run, and that is almost the way it is now. I watch /Legit for the suggested time to attempt a "Tactical" run, but virtually every time it is highjacked by people wanting to zerg.

The reason for this is simple: If 4 people out of 25 want to zerg then they run to Black. Which means that Black usually has too many people, and some other head does not have enough. So the tactical approach will no longer work, due to the lack of a dedicated team for each head. In those (increasingly common) situations all of the good players, who are watching what is happening, adjust to compensate by joining the zerg, because they are stand up guys (and gals) who are willing to work for the good of the group despite not wanting to use the zerg method. In those situations the 4 people who want to zerg have now forced the rest of the group to do it their way. I DO NOT LIKE THIS.

I want to run with 24 other people who want to split into separate groups, each focus on a specific color, guard our clerics, help each other when needed, and have a nice, smooth, easy Tiamat fight. The vast majority of the Tactical runs I have been a part of were quick and easy with no stress, no complaining and I have managed to add several people to my friends list because of the teamwork.

However, since yesterday, it seems that the zerg has become pervasive. I am attempting to avoid the zerg groups, attempting to avoid it in every way I can. Unfortunately my ability to avoid the zerg is minimal. I want that to change.

The "zerg" strategy is something that over at STO we call the "10% rule". Unfortunately, since there isn't a displayed percentage of remaining health (as there is in STO), what happens is that this is usually eyeballed, and often the players go over that threshhold and thus cause the heads to regenerate a significant amount of HP on the next go-round.

This is why I think the tactical method of each person taking down a head works better. Although it is also true that no method works reliably without clear teamwork and everyone being on the same page....without communication and teamwork the entire encounter is much like attempting to herd cats. The adage of "no battle plan survives first contact with the enemy" clearly seems to apply here.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    tickdoff wrote: »

I keep getting tacticals that fail every time since I came back earlier in the week. The only groups I've had succeed were zergs.
  • Options
    hexanna22hexanna22 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 204 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2014
    If you were playing Pen and Paper, I highly doubt your group would split up and put only a couple on each head...Unless perhaps you were Demi Gods, but that is really rare. You would stick together and try one head at a time. Plus, They wouldn't have made the platforms so large, if they didn't want people to have the option to all fight a dragon head at once.

I have mostly pugged this and
    I am 36/37 Zerg Method
    And 9/21 split up at heads method, to be fair, I stopped the split up method since it was failing so much, maybe it is better, but
    This method doesn't guarantee each team can actually handle their head. Also, lower HP people can have huge issues. With zerg, there is usually so many healing buffs from chaotic growth going off, that people rarely die at the actual dragon.
  • Options
    izatarizatar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,161 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The success rate is well below 90%. The OP might think that success is so common because there is a specific behavior which greatly increases a player's chance of success, but that will remain undisclosed for now :D
  • Options
    ortzhyortzhy Member Posts: 1,103 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2014
    hexanna22 wrote: »
    If you were playing Pen and Paper, I highly doubt your group would split up and put only a couple on each head...Unless perhaps you were Demi Gods, but that is really rare. You would stick together and try one head at a time. Plus, They wouldn't have made the platforms so large, if they didn't want people to have the option to all fight a dragon head at once.

umm yeah and while all of you are killing one head the others are just watching a movie .... I would put a huge dmg area if one head is left unchecked
  • Options
    inthefade462inthefade462 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    hexanna22 wrote: »

lol if you were playing pen and paper all 5 heads would attack the group. The entire premise for the 5 platforms is that you have to split up into groups each taking on one head to prevent tiamat from zerging you. Of course the heads are hard coded so they can't move which is silly.
  • Options
    query523query523 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    My experience zerg success rate is maybe 20%. If I actually land a tactics group 90% success.
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    lol if you were playing pen and paper all 5 heads would attack the group. The entire premise for the 5 platforms is that you have to split up into groups each taking on one head to prevent tiamat from zerging you. Of course the heads are hard coded so they can't move which is silly.
    All 5 on one platform would be great. TT FTW!