test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Let's get one thing straight about PuGs

fantasycharacterfantasycharacter Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 675 Arc User
edited December 2014 in PvE Discussion
PuG PvP rules! It's chaotic and fun!

The majority of players PuG and don't premade!

"high End" Pvpers even do it! These will be the first ones to quit if the game gets a little hard, because the PuG life is not for premie carebears!

So why all the down on PuGs? Without us there would not be any PvP.;)
Post edited by fantasycharacter on

Comments

• Options
    tantivetyrelltantivetyrell Member Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Ah yes. Usually the wallet warriors in PuG are the first ones to ask for 'leader' so they can abuse themselves out of the game, because it was not as advantagous to fight.
  • Options
    cryptfoundationcryptfoundation Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Pugs quit when they don't feel like finishing the match. My match went over 20 mins and a pug afk'd in the campfire (we were winning). Pugs don't listen (probably speak a different language) they'll fight the same TR at base even after death after death. Pugs are not reliable, they'll spend the whole match trying to keep their kill/death ratio. Finally, there's basically no way to communicate with pugs, they act as if they're blind deaf and dumb

Before you flame.... THIS DOES NOT GO TOWARDS ALL PUGS BECAUSE IVE SEEN PUGS WITH 13k GS THAT CAN COOPERATE AND GET **** DONE.
  • Options
    alyaakhalyaakh Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    2 things:
    I find it odd when the 2 15k ppl in team rage at the other 10/11k pugs for "failing" when our team comes up vs a 18k+ team in domination. Seriously, blame the matchmaking, not the unfortunate pugs.

Also, when did it become possible to kick active members of a team? Just got myself kicked from a pug, even though was actively participating in match and had one of the 3 highest scores.
    Простая Кавказская девушка я, Но все же прошу послушать меня, Скажу вам-довольно огня и войны, Ведь мы же Кавказцы-мы духом сильны!
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited December 2014
    alyaakh wrote: »
    Also, when did it become possible to kick active members of a team? Just got myself kicked from a pug, even though was actively participating in match and had one of the 3 highest scores.

There is a bug which allows players to kick others from party during PvP. This is not intended to be possible, is considered an exploit and could result in action taken against your account if abused.
  • Options
    asterotgasterotg Member Posts: 1,742 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I play PuG, too. To say it rules is quite a fail. First of all, the matchmaking sucks. I had fights, where my whole team combined had my GS.

Second of all, tactics seem to be a foreign concept to most PuGs. I cant count the number of games I lost, bc.

- I backcaped and my teammembers ignored a red node to get the 300 points for changing the node I caped.
    - 4 ppl run around on home, trying to catch a perma.
    - ppl playing ranged classes dont step on node, bc they are ranged, you know, even when ALL of the team where ranged classes.
    - the rest of the team runs around in a pack of 4 bc they are afraid to die alone.
    - the concept of defending a node is alien to them.

This list could go on and on. There are a few PuG players, who know how to play for the team, but not many.

I could bang my head against the wall, everytime I backcap, fighting 1v2,3,4 or even 5 ppl, dieing more or less often, depending on the enemy team. First I ask them to cap, defend the other nodes and cap the enemy node, when I died. I ask again, politely. I tell them, that we will lose, if they keep their playstyle up. I get angry and I tell them that they suck and some troll tells me that I suck, bc he has more points then me...
    Chars: CW, DC, GF, GWF, HR and TR.
  • Options
    mehguy138mehguy138 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The worst thing about PuG matches is they're completely luck depended. Since there's no matchmaking, you may get any teammates against any enemies, which may result in playing with all players below 10k against 5 man top PvP guild premade.

I had a match as a 16k TR, where one of my teammates was 16k TR, that played very well, but others - 6k scrubs. Enemy team had 20k GF, 14k GF, a couple of 8k TRs and 13k warlock. We lost HARD, we both had 15/2/20 score but our teammates - 0/30/10 or even worse. Then one of them left, and another one told "I glad you've lost, p2w suckers". He was 6k GWF wearing 38 lvl greens.

I don't know if it's fun. I'm not sure.
    M6 almost drains your soul given how boring it is. (c) joocycuzzzzzz
  • Options
    nazghul22nazghul22 Member Posts: 407 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    PuG PvP rules! It's chaotic and fun!

It's certainly more fun since mod5 removed all the fighting aspect. Mod5 pvp is just bringing your mount where there is a red or contested base. Gear, rotations, focus this or that, it's over now, all this has been wiped out.

Now for the TRs it must be much less fun now, as they on the other hand, unlike the other classes, still have to use their powers. Well at least one. They still have to fight. Well, to kill. Admittedly it must be quite boring, like farming Blacklake District with a full-legendary lvl 60 char.
    ToD = ..........
    Tired of Dailies/Tyranny of Dailies/Timers of Doom/Tricked Or Duped/Tremendously Obnoxious Dailies/Try Otherwise, Devs
  • Options
    pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    asterotg wrote: »
    - the rest of the team runs around in a pack of 4 bc they are afraid to die alone.

Can you really blame them, when they are matched up against 23k monsters?

If I bring my 12k toon into a match and I see a 23k 6xLegendary monster on the other team, why do you expect me to stand there and *try* to defend a node against this guy? Or try to fight this guy 1v1? There is utterly no point. So yeah if I see this guy trying to take the node, I let him. Because there's no point otherwise.
  • Options
    kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2014
    There is a bug which allows players to kick others from party during PvP. This is not intended to be possible, is considered an exploit and could result in action taken against your account if abused.

It would be interesting to see what the threshold for this is. A notorious player from a well known PvP guild (full of openly exploitative and delightful individuals) does this constantly, has been reported repeatedly (complete with video), and continues to abuse this with total impunity. Somehow your words ring hollow.
  • Options
    mehguy138mehguy138 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    pointsman wrote: »
    Can you really blame them, when they are matched up against 23k monsters?

If I bring my 12k toon into a match and I see a 23k 6xLegendary monster on the other team, why do you expect me to stand there and *try* to defend a node against this guy? Or try to fight this guy 1v1? There is utterly no point. So yeah if I see this guy trying to take the node, I let him. Because there's no point otherwise.

Because sometimes by dieing over and over again you keep the node contested, which might likely help you to win the game.
    M6 almost drains your soul given how boring it is. (c) joocycuzzzzzz
  • Options
    catisiouscatisious Member Posts: 67
    edited December 2014
    Dudes im living the PUG life :) and its not a bad life at all
  • Options
    alyaakhalyaakh Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    kattefjaes wrote: »
    ...A notorious player from a well known PvP guild...
    That's an understatement.

Nevermind the trivial glory loss, it's the 30 minute ban afterwards that was so annoying.
    Простая Кавказская девушка я, Но все же прошу послушать меня, Скажу вам-довольно огня и войны, Ведь мы же Кавказцы-мы духом сильны!
  • Options
    noetic2noetic2 Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    2 things:
    I find it odd when the 2 15k ppl in team rage at the other 10/11k pugs for "failing" when our team comes up vs a 18k+ team in domination. Seriously, blame the matchmaking, not the unfortunate pugs.

The worst thing about PvP is not people who don't know what they are doing, but people who THINK they know what they are doing and fly into a rage when they lose. And you are right. Most of the time when my teams lose it is not because the team is totally inept, but because we are completely outclassed. A pug team with an average GS of 10ks is NOT going to be able compete against a guild team of 20k plus.
  • Options
    rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2014
    That's an understatement.

Nevermind the trivial glory loss, it's the 30 minute ban afterwards that was so annoying.

Yawn.

In the history of Neverwinter MMO's lifetime, I've seen different PVP guilds get away with stuff that was more detrimental to game's population than this.

This is nothing.
  • Options
    overdriver13overdriver13 Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    asterotg wrote: »
    I play PuG, too. To say it rules is quite a fail. First of all, the matchmaking sucks. I had fights, where my whole team combined had my GS.

Second of all, tactics seem to be a foreign concept to most PuGs. I cant count the number of games I lost, bc.

- I backcaped and my teammembers ignored a red node to get the 300 points for changing the node I caped.
    - 4 ppl run around on home, trying to catch a perma.
    - ppl playing ranged classes dont step on node, bc they are ranged, you know, even when ALL of the team where ranged classes.

This list could go on and on. There are a few PuG players, who know how to play for the team, but not many.

I could bang my head against the wall, everytime I backcap, fighting 1v2,3,4 or even 5 ppl, dieing more or less often, depending on the enemy team. First I ask them to cap, defend the other nodes and cap the enemy node, when I died. I ask again, politely. I tell them, that we will lose, if they keep their playstyle up. I get angry and I tell them that they suck and some troll tells me that I suck, bc he has more points then me...

lol this is such a long term and severe problem in neverwinter pvp. All go to home node at start but me, I got to 2. So from the start, the opponent has 2 nodes capped and bum rush home node just as my team is coming off it, and a big fight will happen right off home node, while one of them caps it. By the time that fight is done, my whole team is dead and the enemy has 3 nodes capped and the score is like 100-20. It is endlessly frustrating. If you know your GS is likely the highest of either team, or if you wanna chance it, it can work to just go straight to their node from the start and hopefully kill the 1 of them that is there, and start capping that node. Which will cause at least some of them to fall back from 2, preventing a full on rush of your own home node. A good player dies A LOT in forcing a pug win full of hapless scrubs ;)
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    mehguy138 wrote: »
    Because sometimes by dieing over and over again you keep the node contested, which might likely help you to win the game.

Dying to win is the way of pug pvp, indeed! Gotta be a kamikaze. Keep the node contested. Can't care about deaths. Sooo many times in a desperate situation where I have ranged dps standing way off node as the enemy caps two, I will barnstorm right through 2, through all the enemies, and make a b line for their base node. That almost always kites a number of them backwards to get me, and I usually at least make it to their node, which will almost always kite a tr all the way back. In that time, my ranged dps will have the numerical advantage at 2 and at least feel safe enough to put their sensitive little toes on the node its self. So 2 starts to be capped, my toon dies of course and I am teleported back to campfire and can either repeat or finish off the enemy on 2.

The fun thing about glass cannon builds is that you die a lot but you do so much damage that a few visits to a node with 3+ enemies on it means you can usually clear the node on third try, or at the very least, ave softened up the other team enough for your team to stomp em.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    noetic2 wrote: »
    The worst thing about PvP is not people who don't know what they are doing, but people who THINK they know what they are doing and fly into a rage when they lose. And you are right. Most of the time when my teams lose it is not because the team is totally inept, but because we are completely outclassed. A pug team with an average GS of 10ks is NOT going to be able compete against a guild team of 20k plus.

The higher gs team has a distinct advantage but I have found that they do not always win. That is the cool thing about node control. High gs does not mean tactical genus by any stretch. Fight on node when capping/red dominant, fight off node when defending/blue dominant. When I say "fight off node", I mean force them to fight you off node. Obviously regardless of the color of the node, you need to have as much as/more than they have on that node. Can die over and over again, as long as those nodes say blue. Constant trolling of their base node. If most of their party runs back to stop you from capping it, your team (unless it is stupid) will cap the other two nodes in the mean time.