test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How do you beat an hr in mod 5?

wolhaiksong332wolhaiksong332 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 107
I'm a maxed HR, but I cant figure out how to beat TR's. Has anyone figured this out?
Post edited by wolhaiksong332 on

Comments

• Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited November 2014
    If you don't want to give advice then don't post.

The behavior in this thread has been completely inexcusable so far. Consider this an official warning to all posters which have found their posts removed.
  • Options
    magiquepursemagiquepurse Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Shadow of Demise is not functioning correctly and proccing of things such as DoT weapon enchants. You can't really beat a bugged class. Wait till they fix it.
  • Options
    helpimblindinrlhelpimblindinrl Member Posts: 972 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I'm sure everything will be fixed by tuesday and they wouldn't just say screw it and push it to live so long as it doesn't crash the server. Cryptic are professionals.
  • Options
    rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2014
    Really tough to beat a good TR in mod 5 since their DPS especially from the bugged (WAI?) skills is just too high.
  • Options
    candinho2candinho2 Member Posts: 550 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    so what about u do something to improve the game insteed of just deleting posts?? don't you have anything better to do? i dont see u testing anything, and when some ppl test and post on foruns u just delete posts?? go learn to live kid.
  • Options
    candinho2candinho2 Member Posts: 550 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I'm a maxed HR, but I cant figure out how to beat TR's. Has anyone figured this out?

get a TR, atm nothing can stand a chance against then. even if are at full health, SE kill you instantly, it's now 240% boosted damage, and 100% crit chance+ ignore resistence, also 225% crit severity (if using vorpal) so the tooltip says 25~30k, plus 225%+ combat advantage, a single hit of +/- 65~70k, only a gf can have that much hp.
  • Options
    rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    it does not ignore defences anymore and can be dodged.
    tooltip says 9k....pls
  • Options
    suddenlyslowsuddenlyslow Member Posts: 818 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Which TR in particular? The stealth one, the daze one, or the other one?
  • Options
    joocycuzzzzzzjoocycuzzzzzz Member Posts: 577 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    candinho2 wrote: »
    get a TR, atm nothing can stand a chance against then. even if are at full health, SE kill you instantly, it's now 240% boosted damage, and 100% crit chance+ ignore resistence, also 225% crit severity (if using vorpal) so the tooltip says 25~30k, plus 225%+ combat advantage, a single hit of +/- 65~70k, only a gf can have that much hp.

The TR is <bleep> and all, but don't exaggerate.

I'm a CW and almost always Survive SE, even below 30% health.

It respects DR and CAN NOW BE DODGED, the dodged part is all that matters for me, don't give a **** how OP it is.

To OP: How do you beat a TR as a HR? Just be a HR, that's all. Self-Explanatory. Nothing can beat a Ranger.
    Beta player

One of the many Control Wizards that misses Shard Of The Endless Avalanche. RIP Shard (Beta-Mod3)
  • Options
    cryptfoundationcryptfoundation Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    The TR is <edited> and all, but don't exaggerate.

I'm a CW and almost always Survive SE, even below 30% health.

It respects DR and CAN NOW BE DODGED, the dodged part is all that matters for me, don't give a **** how OP it is.

To OP: How do you beat a TR as a HR? Just be a HR, that's all. Self-Explanatory. Nothing can beat a Ranger.

Not true. Mod 5 TRs are better. DCs can't beat them but a good one also won't die to them
  • Options
    zvieriszvieris Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I don't get it. Is this thread about beating HR or TR? The title and first post are inconsistent with each other...
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Not true. Mod 5 TRs are better. DCs can't beat them but a good one also won't die to them

You sure you replying to the good post? Re-Read what I said.

If you mean a mod 5 TR can beat a HR... then.. lol. Because I witnessed otherwise many times.
    Beta player

One of the many Control Wizards that misses Shard Of The Endless Avalanche. RIP Shard (Beta-Mod3)
  • Options
    ralexinorralexinor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 576 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    You sure you replying to the good post? Re-Read what I said.

If you mean a mod 5 TR can beat a HR... then.. lol. Because I witnessed otherwise many times.

TR > HR in mod 5

Scoundrel TRs counter HRs because of the CC, Saboteur TR has crazy damage with the daily and even with just GC or DHS, Executioner is broken right now. MI can stay in stealth + dish out some nice burst damage for ages, and WK can just bleed you to death with 50k DHSes.

However, that's not to say HRs can't beat TRs - it's possible but still quite difficult and realistically, a TR can run offnode and you'll never ever find them because they're always in stealth. A WK can just hit you with DHS and run around until you die and there's nothing you can do about it if you can't find them.

On a node, with the TR starting at 0 AP or similar with no DC artifact, it's about a 50-50 chance between the HR and TR assuming the HR is good (against Scoundrel TRs that might be weighted a bit more towards the TR), but you still need to kill them before they get a daily up, i.e. about 30 seconds or less. There's not really anything you can do if you get CC'd and dailied unless you're lucky enough to resist the daze and dodge most of bloodbath. Executioner TRs will kill you regardless of if you dodged the daily or not (Shadow of Demise being broken atm).

Basically, long story short, TRs do have an advantage against HRs against this mod, especially if they have their daily up, and considering the new neck artifact with the AP gain, that's an awfully short timespan you have to kill a TR. It's pretty much GG if they have daily up because there's no amount of tankiness that can save you if you get hit.

Anyway, onto the advice: Maschenny (assuming I'm correct on who you are), I don't mean any offence, just stating the facts here, your playstyle isn't as offense-oriented as it needs to be in order to win against TRs. I've seen you fight and you tend to be too hasty in using your encounters as well. You CANNOT just spam your encounters especially as a HR against a TR, because a good TR will just bait your nukes (Fox, etc.) and cause you to waste them, meaning you're now another 15-20 seconds without an opener and nuke. The key to winning against a TR to play fully offensive and always pressure them to be dodging rather than attacking (less AP gain, less damage against you), which means you literally need to always been on their tail and right behind them, and that can be difficult if you don't know where they are initially. Once you find them it's fairly easy to keep on their tail but the main issue is finding them; sab TRs don't even need to go into ITC, meaning they're in stealth 100% of the time. Use Marauder's Escape to get from one end of the node to the other (gap closing so it's easier to find them), and if you see them dodge, Fox Shift in that direction unless you know they double dodge. If you're fighting a MI TR that uses GC, use Fox Cunning to block the next GC, hence meaning you don't need to waste dodges and can now find them, and when fighting WKs, use FC to after you go into Forest Ghost to remove the DHS tick. Additionally, if you can, interrupt Shadow Strike mid-cast so you force them to recast and hence waste their ITC time.

The only real thing you can do as a HR is just DPS vs DPS; kill or be killed.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    ralexinor wrote: »
    Snip

I saw you beat the same TR that I also beat yesterday though.. and quite easily. And I think you were playing a trapper. Melee has the Life Steal that can heal them back to full in a few seconds.

Bloodpath and SE are indeed OP, but they can be dodged thankfully.

Honestly at this time, it depends on who the TR and HR is. tbh.

And for Scoundrel... no one can escape it except GWF's and other TR's, but even those don't last long. They do garbage damage though.

I don't even know which feat tree is the most broken... the Exe SoD stacking, Perma-Dazing, or the upgraded Perma-Stealth.

I can feel a wave of QQ incoming in the forums, and TR nerfed once more.

Once Life Steal is nerfed (Confirmed) then yes, TR will win 100%.
    Beta player

• Options
    edited November 2014
    I saw you beat the same TR that I also beat yesterday though.. and quite easily. And I think you were playing a trapper. Melee has the Life Steal that can heal them back to full in a few seconds.

Bloodpath and SE are indeed OP, but they can be dodged thankfully.

Honestly at this time, it depends on who the TR and HR is. tbh.

And for Scoundrel... no one can escape it except GWF's and other TR's, but even those don't last long.

I don't even know which feat tree is the most broken... the Exe SoD stacking, Perma-Dazing, or the upgraded Perma-Stealth.

I can feel a wave of QQ incoming in the forums, and TR nerfed once more.

Once Life Steal is nerfed (Confirmed) then yes, TR will win 100%.

Trapper > Combat for fighting TRs because of the shorter cooldowns, the CCs and the burst. Life steal is irrelevant when you're not hitting anything.

Additionally the TR I fought was not on the same gear level as I was and he didn't daily me + he hasn't played the game for a few months. I actually did lose to him earlier (we went quite a few rounds while he was WK, he was MI when you saw me fight him), because he either dailied me or I couldn't kill him fast enough before I died from the DHS ticks.

SE isn't that good, Bloodbath is the main issue especially if you get dazed; you have no CC breaks as a HR or CW and it can be quite difficult to dodge.

I'd rather TRs not get nerfed because they're in a fine position as they are. I do feel, however, that permastealth shouldn't be as easy or rewarding as it is right now, especially in conjunction with the damage TRs have now. But HRs also do need a bit of a tone-down in the healing and damage departments.

Also yes, it will depend on the TR and HR. I was speaking about similar skill and gear levels in my previous post. Obviously a more geared/skilled HR will beat the TR and vice versa.
  • Options
    kweassakweassa Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Fighting against a HR, from my experience of over 2 weeks of observations/tests in the preview with BiS level HRs I'd say:

※ Excluding Executioners as they're just plain broken with abnormal amounts of damage and probably due for fix:

(1) vs. WK/Sab: 7:3 odds in favor of TR
    (2) vs. WK/Sco: 5:5 even
    (3) vs. MI/Sab: 5:5 even
    (4) vs. MI/Sco: 4:6 odds in favor of HR

Most TR players still cringe about WK since it was always considered to be vastly underpowered compared to MIs, so people who're actually trying out WK builds still remain few -- mostly still limited to people who've witnessed just how powerful this paragon has become.

But anyhow, IMO currently the biggest threat to the HRs would be the WK/Sab/perma builds. When a HR fights one of these, there's literally nothing the HR can do. The damage incoming is mostly from Disheartening Strike, which now always crits. Typically anything between 1.5~2k damage comes in every second for 11 times, amounting upto some 16~22k damage on average, and this is an at-will. No recharge, easily reapplied, and most of all, ranged. From the receiving end, the HR literally has no way of playing to his strengths. He can't lifesteal from something he cannot see. All his mighty DoTs won't mean a thing when he can't see the TR to put CA on him in the first place. For the TR, all he needs to do is play safe, periodically refresh DHS, and time his attacks right and he can't lose.

Basically, the WK/Sab is like the old-perma, but much higher damage potential, and zero need to risk anything with DF. All his attacks are from range, and he doesn't even need all that many attacks in the first place. No major risk to take, keep distance, keep firing DHS, and perhaps occasional bursts of Impact Shot or a few CoS shots (these hit like 2~3k per pop from stealth).. and basically the HR is dead.

The major downside would be that it's difficult to contest nodes for the TR. The TR will be able to kill the HR and then take the node, but would be hard-pressed to do so if he needs to actually stay on the node. Being ranged, and devoid of ITC, this is the inherent weakness of the WK in PvP.

In a pure 1vs1 sense, IMO there's no way a HR can beat a WK/Sab, but in terms of Domination rules, things become a bit more complex.
    Stop making excuses. Be a man.
    If you know something to be broken, stop using it.
    Otherwise, you've got no right to be speaking of 'balance.'
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Thanks for your reply ralexinor. Yeah I def have some bad habits with unloading my encounters (no doubt because I can get away with that in mod 4). Thanks, the tips will be very helpful.

Can you speak a little bit about how to be more offensive, while being less hasty? (or were you referring to my gear, ie. Con Belt)
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Perhaps, the meta just dictates that another cass handle the TR's now. Are there other classes that can meet the TR in a 1v1 in mod 5?
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    GWF is probably best for handling TRs now.

By being offensive I mean just disregarding the dangers of being hit by Gloaming Cut for example (within reason) and just press forwards and attacking without going on the defensive at any point in time. You cannot just try and dodge everything (because you'll get hit by the TR sooner or later, you can't avoid everything forever).

Well, that's not really being clear but I'll try explain it a bit better. For example, you can use shift to dodge Gloaming Cut, or you can use Fox Cunning to dodge the next attack and hence also use a dodge to get closer to the TR. Avoiding damage isn't really a priority (depending on the playstyle though). Finding the TR is more important so you can pressure him and force him not to attack. A dodging TR is a TR that doesn't attack. Don't just spam encounters when you find them though, count their dodges and then bait a dodge before you hit Boar/Fox.
  • Options
    ikapamkikapamk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 294 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2014

Just theorycrafting, but thorn ward should help - it auto targets through stealth (or it did, anyways). From there, you can follow the ticks.

Of course, a good TR will just stay out of the red dot, but it's a start. If you're a trapper, you might be able to catch them while they're visible (definitely vs scoundrel - they're stealthed the least)
    Carpe Jugulum
    Sharra Del'Armgo - SW Trapper Hybrid HR
    Ogghra Bar'Ghuzumn - MI Scoundrel TR
    Vænna Thrymskjöldr - IV Protector GF
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    ikapamk wrote: »
    Just theorycrafting, but thorn ward should help - it auto targets through stealth (or it did, anyways). From there, you can follow the ticks.

Of course, a good TR will just stay out of the red dot, but it's a start. If you're a trapper, you might be able to catch them while they're visible (definitely vs scoundrel - they're stealthed the least)

Thorn ward doesn't damage stealthed targets, which is a bug.

(When you put the lowest graphics and fire thorn ward, there's an humanoid standing right in the middle that acts as an NPC's... and you know the relation between NPC's and stealth

>"?" <
    )
    Beta player

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Thorn Ward can help in terms of bursting a TR down for when you catch them, and can help with giving a relative idea of where they are, as TW targets the TR but does not damage. I still think Marauder's Rush/Escape is better on a combat HR because you need the mobility to make up for the lack of dodges and high cooldowns, and with combat you can't keep TW up 100% of the time. Thorn Ward works well with trapper because of the lower cooldown + trapper's higher mobility and burst.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Thorn ward doesn't damage stealthed targets, which is a bug.

(When you put the lowest graphics and fire thorn ward, there's an humanoid standing right in the middle that acts as an NPC's... and you know the relation between NPC's and stealth

>"?" <
    )

Thornward is a summon, not a simple AoE. It requires the summoned entity to target and fire a power. In that sense, the only "bug" with thornward is that it is firing 'something' at a target which it should not be seeing.

Fixing the bug means thornward staying quiet if the target is invisible.
  • Options
    effectensteineffectenstein Member Posts: 1,031 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2014

CAN ANYONE CLOSE THIS THREAD , CUZ IT'S CLEARLY A TROLL THREAD !!
  • Options
    edited November 2014

CAN ANYONE CLOSE THIS THREAD , CUZ IT'S CLEARLY A TROLL THREAD !!

Nah, the op probably had TR and HR mixed up. It sometimes happens to me as well.
  • Options
    effectensteineffectenstein Member Posts: 1,031 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2014
    kweassa wrote: »
    Nah, the op probably had TR and HR mixed up. It sometimes happens to me as well.

no, they are both OP on PTR, but the problem is this guy it's trollin saying that HR is underpeforming, cuz thats not quite true.

HR it's a strong force
    TR has still buggy things
    DC the same

only 3 classes are balanced GWF(without intimidation) GF / CW .
  • Options
    froszztfroszzt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 284 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2014
    hey! what about SWs LMAO

I hope that was a joke. Tyrannical threat on SW is so broken it makes me cry every time I see it. When I run with a SW that uses TT it is very common that they can do 2-4m dmg in 1-3 seconds.

WAI? Hardly.