test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Which pack(s) for a new player ?

dahkoht72dahkoht72 Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 8 Arc User
edited November 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
Greets all,

I'm about to start playing NW (and in it for a long haul) , as an old school AD&D player and also huge mmo fan going back to EQ launch it just seems that for now what limited game time I have , I'd enjoy it in NW most. (Combination of setting , mix of solo and group , community seems decent etc).

Anyway as someone starting out I wondered if could get some advice on the worth of the current packs for a new player.

As in is the Heroes Pack still a decent value these days , or would buying something like the warlock pack and zen or a mix of the warlock pack and the dragon pack etc be better ?

Don't mind spending a few bucks on something I really enjoy , and planning on sticking with NW for the long term as other than possibly EQN (long way off)there's nothing on the horizon that I can see really looking forward to. (ArcheAge was a huge disappoint for me due to community and just overall support of the game from the devs and that was my last hope for a "new mmo anytime soon)
Post edited by dahkoht72 on

Comments

• sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I find the Feywild pack to be a solid starter pack. You get pretty much the same as the guardian pack but with the addition of the moon elf race unlocked.

The Dragonborn pack is nice, but due to lacking an account wide mount and companion unlock. Its not as useful as a starting pack.
  • dahkoht72dahkoht72 Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Thanks sock , probably going to decide later tonight which to get , the Feywild pack looks good too. I did notice both it and the Warlock packs etc seemed to have more all character items than the Dragon one , good point there.

Edit: Got mixed up between the Feywild and Hunter packs (Hunter looks like good bit of account unlocks while Fey is single , but cheap though)
  • zephyriahzephyriah Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,980 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    dahkoht72 wrote: »
    Thanks sock , probably going to decide later tonight which to get , the Feywild pack looks good too. I did notice both it and the Warlock packs etc seemed to have more all character items than the Dragon one , good point there.

Edit: Got mixed up between the Feywild and Hunter packs (Hunter looks like good bit of account unlocks while Fey is single , but cheap though)

You are still confusing the 19.99 feywild pack and the 59.99 knight of the feywild pack. The advice given was for the 59.99 pack. It has a 110% speed mount and a level 30 companion that are account unlocks. Every character you ever make gets them free. It also unlocks a playable race, the moon elf. Very good starting pack if you can afford and do not mind the Unicorn, it gets some hate for the "butterflies or doves" that follow it.
  • lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    zephyriah wrote: »
    You are still confusing the 19.99 feywild pack and the 59.99 knight of the feywild pack. The advice given was for the 59.99 pack. It has a 110% speed mount and a level 30 companion that are account unlocks. Every character you ever make gets them free. It also unlocks a playable race, the moon elf. Very good starting pack if you can afford and do not mind the Unicorn, it gets some hate for the "butterflies or doves" that follow it.

I have a Knight of the Feywild pack. I wouldn't care if the unicorn farted rainbows, it's a 110% mount. It gets me from point A to B in a hurry, and that's what matters. Plus it's accountwide.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • zephyriahzephyriah Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,980 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I have a Knight of the Feywild pack. I wouldn't care if the unicorn farted rainbows, it's a 110% mount. It gets me from point A to B in a hurry, and that's what matters. Plus it's accountwide.

Neither do I. I like both of my unicorns. Knight of the Feywild was my 1st pack. It was the Moon Elf that pushed me over. Eventually, I bought the Guardian pack, second choice, but the Dire Wolf became my favorite leveling companion over the Sylph. I think either of the 59.99 packs is a good choice for a starter pack as they fit any character. Whereas the 34.99 kits are mostly class specific.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    zephyriah wrote: »
    Neither do I. I like both of my unicorns. Knight of the Feywild was my 1st pack. It was the Moon Elf that pushed me over. Eventually, I bought the Guardian pack, second choice, but the Dire Wolf became my favorite leveling companion over the Sylph. I think either of the 59.99 packs is a good choice for a starter pack as they fit any character. Whereas the 34.99 kits are mostly class specific.

Yea, completely agree with this. The $60 packs are long term investments, and really good if you really plan on playing more then one character. Account wide epic level pets and mounts are hard to beat. The Warlock and Hunter packs are nice booster type packs, you get less, but they are really good if you are planing on playing one of the classes the pack supports. Although I gota admit, the Erinye pet in the warlock pack is one of the better pets in the game, even if its not epic quality.
  • dahkoht72dahkoht72 Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Thanks for pointing out that about I was looking at the wrong Feywild pack.

Looking them over and trying to pick a class , curious if race choice really sets you back if you don't go the min/max route ?

As in if I just like the idea of a Moon Elf guardian fighter or such would that still work well enough? ( I don't worry about being hardcore min/max just wanted to still be viable as a group tank if went that route or such).

Looking forward to jumping in and get going , just looking over the forums for class advice , guild recruitment ( I posted there couple weeks ago looking for friendly , no drama type guild for a over 40 career and family guy) etc.

I do appreciate the tips here on the packs.
  • ghosty2aghosty2a Member Posts: 276 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Also, for the Dragonborn Pak, it may not have account wide unlocks for mounts or companion, but it does have an account wide unlock for a Dragon Hoard bag. Thats a 30 slot bag, for all toons you roll up. And of course it unlocks the Dragon Born Race.
  • inthefade462inthefade462 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    my HR is a moon elf because they are pretty, yet they are a terrible race for HR

my GF is a halfling cus I thought it was hilarious to make the shortest/skinniest girl halfling with the largest bust size possible a tank. It turns out that halflings ended up being pvp master race and they are decent gf too.

Race choice doesn't really matter, unless you are minmaxing to the extreme. The worst possible race choice for class x can still get the job done 95% as good as the best race choice.

how you roll your initial stats matter far more than race choice. "best" race is 2% more dmg or 2% more crit (depending on class) than the worst race assuming you choose the same stats. The game won't allow you to choose abysmal stat distribution, ie the worst you can do is 15 13 14 for primary / secondary / secondary so it's not like you can roll a wizard with a 3 int or anything.
  • zoiks100zoiks100 Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Anyway as someone starting out I wondered if could get some advice on the worth of the current packs for a new player.

Honestly none of the packs are worth their costs unless you especially want something in them.

For example the feywild pack everyone here is mentioning, unless you really want a unicorn mount or a sylph companion (only really useful if you plan on doing a lot of open world pvp...which isn't especially doable currently anyway) the feywild pack is only worth maybe $35, because you can buy equivalents, or better, directly from the zen store/AH for that same amount of zen.

Personally I would recommend picking a zen store mount (they are all account-wide) you like, the stormrider Clydesdale being the cheapest at 2500, and maybe another 1000-1500 in zen you can convert to AD to buy things such as a bag or two, level scaling gear, and maybe a fancier healing companion like the fawn or sunite priestess. You'll save $20 that way and get more useful items.
    Don't Panic.
    airplane-2-o.gif
    Okay, Panic.
    edited November 2014
    Appreciate the further tips.

What about if I had decided to go warlock , would the warlock pack be worth it then ?

(down to either that or GF or GWF)
  • dodgododgo Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 870 Arc User
    edited November 2014

it does <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> rainbows. couldnt beleive it either but saw it with my toon eyes while zerging a dragon HE
  • helpimblindinrlhelpimblindinrl Member Posts: 972 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Real talk, don't spend money. If you had a good time on your way to 60 and want to throw them a bone spend money on an ioun stone or a horse. Buying Shadows of Mordor on steam is like 50 euro/dollar. That's an amazing game. If you spent 30 hours soloing in neverwinter and had a meh its fine response its not worth a feywild pack quantity of money. Its just not. Give them what you think they deserve.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    OP: Let's get some key pieces of information from you, so we can make the best suggestions based on your play style:

1. Do you plan on creating loads and loads of characters, or only 1-2?

2. Do you plan to stick mainly to PvE, PvP, or a combination of the two?

3. Are you more concerned with actual character performance, or are things like aesthetics important to you as well?

4. What kind of budget are working with, and do you see yourself playing NW for more than 3 months? 6 months? A year?
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Honestly, it all depends on what that amount of money MEANS to you.
    If it is a major thing in your life to spend $20.00 US and this money comes from careful penny savings, then you could do much better than ANYTHING in this Game. Play, earn AD, convert to Zen, and get stuff that way.
    If this represents just some Mad Money that you were going to blow in mindless entertainment ANYWAY, go nuts. The Night Of The Feywild Pack is great. So is the Dragonborn Legend Pack (it's pricy, though).

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
    edited November 2014
    Thanks all and sorry I should have given more info up front.

Here's the deal , I despise single player games , and oddly enough Shadows of Mordor I just bought a few weeks ago and got one hour of playtime out of it and got sick of the same scenery and while I can see how its a great game , its not my type of game.

Money wise, I'm not rich at all , but work two jobs , support a wife and kids and have expenses , but spending say 100 a month on computer games of some sort is easily in my budget for entertainment for myself.

Bio as to your specifics ,

1. Mostly likely 1 main , one alt possibly.

2.Combination of the two , leaning towards PVE slightly (used to be hardcore PVP , now just like to dabble in it)

3.Aesthetics is a tie for me actually , I want to actually enjoy looking at my character (example in previous games even if two hander dps was slightly behind dual wield I'd do two hander as I really enjoyed the style if that makes sense).

4.I'd say at least 6 months , due to ArcheAge disappointing me , my love of mmo's , and EQNext is the only option on the horizon for me and its one year plus out atm. Budgetwise I can afford the Hero pack no issue etc. I've wasted far more on my Steam library that sits there unused often. And in no way am I "rich" as stated , but I'm an engineer and teach a couple nights a week , so spending a bit on myself for entertainment isn't an issue.

(and I love the Neverwinter setting , and looks like theres some friendly guilds here that I'd fit in with hopefully too )
    edited November 2014
    Thanks all and sorry I should have given more info up front.

Here's the deal , I despise single player games , and oddly enough Shadows of Mordor I just bought a few weeks ago and got one hour of playtime out of it and got sick of the same scenery and while I can see how its a great game , its not my type of game.

Money wise, I'm not rich at all , but work two jobs , support a wife and kids and have expenses , but spending say 100 a month on computer games of some sort is easily in my budget for entertainment for myself.

Bio as to your specifics ,

1. Mostly likely 1 main , one alt possibly.

2.Combination of the two , leaning towards PVE slightly (used to be hardcore PVP , now just like to dabble in it)

3.Aesthetics is a tie for me actually , I want to actually enjoy looking at my character (example in previous games even if two hander dps was slightly behind dual wield I'd do two hander as I really enjoyed the style if that makes sense).

4.I'd say at least 6 months , due to ArcheAge disappointing me , my love of mmo's , and EQNext is the only option on the horizon for me and its one year plus out atm. Budgetwise I can afford the Hero pack no issue etc. I've wasted far more on my Steam library that sits there unused often. And in no way am I "rich" as stated , but I'm an engineer and teach a couple nights a week , so spending a bit on myself for entertainment isn't an issue.

(and I love the Neverwinter setting , and looks like theres some friendly guilds here that I'd fit in with hopefully too )

OK, so from your feedback, here's what I'd suggest:

Currently, the cheapest rank 3 mount (fastest speed) is 988,625 ADs, which equates to about 1980 Zen, (or $19.80 US). That mount would only work for 1 character, and the cheapest R3 mount from the Zen store is 2500 Zen. At level 20, you should get a 15% off a mount coupon from your level-up box, which would bring that down to 2125 Zen. The key here is that Zen store mounts are account-wide unlocks, so you'd gain access to that mount on all your current or future characters. Even if you only plan on playing 2 characters, that would then work out to about 1063 Zen per character, which is an even better deal, (which only gets better the more characters you make).

A fast mount is a great convenience in PvE, but becomes more important in PvP, so that's another plus in favor of buying a R3 mount.

In terms of aesthetics, the Knight of the Feywild pack (the $60 one) has a R3 mount, access to an exclusive race, some ADs to spend, AND a fashion set that all your characters will gain access to. That set is pretty nice, and you can always dye it to give your characters a more distinctive look. Of course, you can simply buy fashion sets from the Zen store or off the auction house as well, (check out the Waterdhavian set from a past event - it's really nice IMO).

The 1-60 game is actually pretty short - you can get to max level in just a weekend of hard play. It's the post-60 game that takes the longest. The good news is that there is a lot to do at 60 - you start Tyranny of Dragons around level 30, then there's the Feywild and Dread Ring campaigns, and eventually Icewind Dale, then Rise of Tiamat in a few days.

I would suggest transferring in at least 500 Zen though, as you will get the first time buyer's pack with that, which has some decent stuff as well.

You can also look at it from a price breakdown:

R3 Mount - about $25
    Level 30 companion - about $25 (though there are some on the in-game auction house for 385K ADs, which works out to only about 770 Zen) - that is a single companion for 1 character, though, whereas the companions from the packs are account-wide
    Fashion set - The cheapest fashion set if 800 Zen, but there are many many sets on the in-game Ah for a lot less, (though those aren't exclusive and are single character purchases).
    Exclusive race - the only equivalent is the Dragonborn race unlock, which is another 2500Zen.

Again, you have to break things down to what they are worth to you.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    edited November 2014
    Much appreciated all , I decided to go for two packs , the Fey knight pack and the warlock pack. The combo works out well for my starting plans. Main will be a warlock , wanted the moon elf , and my daughter will enjoy watching the Hellraising warlock riding about on the unicorn as a bonus :)

Planning on having one alt , likely a GF or GWF so will get a couple starter packs out of it too plus some AD , and the companion on the warlock set seemed fun for the short time I got to play last night.

Looking forward to leveling both and getting to know folks in the community.
  • myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I personally like the Warlock Pack because of the companion - as you create additional characters on your account, this companion can be had by other character as well, unless someone can verify that it only applied to existing characters at time of purchase.

If you've got the cash to invest, Id get the Warlock Pack as well as the Feywild for the 110% mount that all of your characters can unlock/obtain at level 20. :)
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
    edited November 2014
    Much appreciated all , I decided to go for two packs , the Fey knight pack and the warlock pack. The combo works out well for my starting plans. Main will be a warlock , wanted the moon elf , and my daughter will enjoy watching the Hellraising warlock riding about on the unicorn as a bonus :)

Planning on having one alt , likely a GF or GWF so will get a couple starter packs out of it too plus some AD , and the companion on the warlock set seemed fun for the short time I got to play last night.

Looking forward to leveling both and getting to know folks in the community.

There's a fairly small backlog of Zen for AD on the exchange right now, and character slots are currently on sale. If you think you'll stick around for a while, get some extra character slots while they're cheap. If nothing else, you can get those characters up to level 10, and start building up the leadership profession on them - those tasks can earn you gold, potions/kits, and astral diamonds. They can also generate XP for that character, so you can eventually level them up to 60 just by running those profession tasks. They'll also be good for the 7-day invocation coffers, which can produce enchantments, refinement stones, preservation wards, or even coalescent wards.

Good luck, and most importantly, have fun!