test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Cult of the Dragon Foundry Contest Winners!

akromatikakromatik Member Posts: 1
edited November 2014 in The Foundry
Well, we did it Authors! I want to thank you all for your creativity and support that you brought to this contest. I really enjoyed playing through your quests and seeing how each of you interpreted the subject matter. There's a reason why we were rated as the #1 UGC community and it was readily apparent in these submissions.

Without further ado, here are the winners:

1st Prize: Relative Security by sarlacc1979 - NW-DJUTP3QSA - A Neverwinter Hero of the North Pack, a mount of your choice, and a companion of their choice!

2nd Prize: Shadows of Purple Wings by thrymskvida - NW-DEYV5SVQ9 - A Neverwinter Hero of the North Pack!

3rd Prize: Well of Dragons by waryur - NW-DTPJEKZCT - A Guardian of Neverwinter or Knight of the Feywild Pack (Author’s choice!)

Judges' Choice: Sharandar's Defense by topwicz - NW-DQ38CSSFW - A Dragonborn Legend Pack!

Another Judges' Choice: Arsleu'Tel'Quess by sn0wst0rmz - NW-DFAZGGI7Y - A Dragonborn Legend Pack!

Winners have been contacted via forum private message, so keep an eye on those inboxes!

It's been a wild ride with this contest, but everything worked out in the end. A big thanks to everyone who participated in this contest and another congratulations to the winners~!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    vandignescavandignesca Member Posts: 162 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Congratulations!
    Love yourself, and focus on the rest of the madness of life later.
  • Options
    boomba66boomba66 Member Posts: 221 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2014
    Congrats.

None of these made any of my lists of best five or close. Judges choices I thought where both mechanically horrible, but map beautiful. Guess that was what the judges liked.

The others are pretty good but the time they released was definitely a factor.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kithliskithlis Member Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Congrats to the winners!
  • Options
    sn0wst0rmzsn0wst0rmz Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    boomba66 wrote: »
    Congrats.

None of these made any of my lists of best five or close. Judges choices I thought where both mechanically horrible, but map beautiful. Guess that was what the judges liked.

The others are pretty good but the time they released was definitely a factor.

When I started this contest, it was made clear by the community that the deciding factors would more than likely not be on quality, but moreover quantity of plays. I told everyone I spoke too on the Foundry server what I was making, and why. I went for the best custom maps I could make with the tools at hand. I knew I would not place in the top 3, but I was very proud of what I had accomplished. I have not seen any foundy with the attention to detail that mine has... and that was what I was shooting for. Like I said before, I already bought the Dragonborn Legen pack with Steamcash, because I wanted it.

I've replied to the judges choice (just a few minutes ago), and I asked if they could make sure it's BOE so I could at least sell it and get something I could actually use and enjoy. I hope that's a possibility.

I do think this has been a huge learning experience for everyone involved.

Thanks for the great comments and the tips for those that enjoyed my foundry, I know it's a very long play through with little in game reward... but I did try to throw in an epic plot that would let you peel back the layers of it while having a grand spectacle of the eyes. I'll get started on a sequel.
    "I attack the darkness!"

Foundry Author of Arselu'Tel'Quess (NW-DDQ6P4IKQ)
  • Options
    docsc00terdocsc00ter Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    CONGRATULATIONS to all of the winners!

And, well, frankly... congratulations to the entire Foundry community! As Akro says, it's been a wild ride with this contest. But the end result was a whole batch of new adventures for us all to enjoy, a bunch of first-time Authors discovering the fun of the Foundry, a little extra focus on this special aspect of the game we love, and some really fun discussion along the way.

Not sure if they'll ever do it again (and, even if they did, I'm betting it will be a very different kind of contest next time), but I sure hope so. Meanwhile, keep those Foundry quests coming...!
  • Options
    dtzdtz Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Plus there were what, 50 authors who had their quests featured? And I'm pretty sure that for most of them it was their first time.
    Rank 8 Foundry Grand Master

Check out my Foundry questline, The Brightstone Explorers' Guild, now archived on Youtube!
  • Options
    docsc00terdocsc00ter Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    It's actually interesting to compare the final winners with tipadaknife's unofficial ratings that were posted throughout the judging.

1st Place ("Relative Security")
    was featured the 1st week. It also came in 1st for the number of stars on the unofficial chart. And it came in 7th for average player rating on the unofficial chart (4.27).

2nd Place ("Shadows of Purple Wings") was also featured the 1st week of the contest, and it came in 2nd on the unofficial chart for the number of stars. It ended up 11th on that chart for average player rating (4.23).

3rd Place ("Well of Dragons") was featured the 6th week of the contest. The unofficial charts had it listed in 4th place, just 9 stars behind "The Artifact" (which was another 1st week quest), so this one overcame the disadvantage of not being in the 1st batch of quests. Although it had lots of plays, it didn't fare as well in the average player ratings on the unofficial chart, coming in at 37th place (3.86).

The first Judges' Choice ("Sharandar's Defense") was featured the 7th week of the contest, was 2nd to last in the number of stars according to the unofficial chart (just 225 stars), but was 8th in terms of player ratings on the chart (4.25).

The second Judges' Choice ("Arsleu'Tel'Quess") was featured the 8th week, ranked 40th in terms of the number of stars according to the unofficial chart, and ranked 23rd in terms of player ratings (4.06).

Of course, it's important to remember that these are insights from the unofficial charts. Then again, those charts turned out to be pretty darn accurate (thanks, tipadaknife!). Fun stuff to ponder, and I'm looking forward to going back and re-playing some of those winning quests again, as well the "Top Ten" by Player's Ratings:
    1. "The Neverwinter Conspiracy" (4.66)
    2. "The Crypt of Ezra" (4.40)
    3. "Turtle Soup" (4.40)
    4. "A Call for Heroes" (4.36)
    5. "The Dragon's Prize" (4.32)
    6. "The Dragon has 3 Heads... or 5..." (4.30)
    7. "Relative Security" (4.27)
    8. "Sharandar's Defense" (4.25)
    9. "The Icy Depths of the Past" (4.24)
    10. "Tomb of the White Dragon" (4.23) / "Shadows of Purple Wings" (4.23) / "A Date With Destiny" (4.23)
  • Options
    grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    So my optimism was rather foolish.

I would have been satisfied with this being the winning list:
    docsc00ter wrote: »
    3. "Turtle Soup" (4.40)

All three i thought were great, and the community seems to agree.

Instead we got a joke of a result, which leaves a sour taste that cannot be washed out, thanks to all authors for their works and content.

Even though I am happy I created what I did, I think i should have just spent few hours putting a map together and entering for the first week.

What a shame.
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
  • Options
    dtzdtz Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Unfortunately, I don't think he really could have gone back on what he said about going by the number of stars.
    Rank 8 Foundry Grand Master

Check out my Foundry questline, The Brightstone Explorers' Guild, now archived on Youtube!
  • Options
    iandarkswordiandarksword Member Posts: 978 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    docsc00ter wrote: »
    It's actually interesting to compare the final winners with tipadaknife's unofficial ratings that were posted throughout the judging.

1st Place ("Relative Security")
    was featured the 1st week. It also came in 1st for the number of stars on the unofficial chart. And it came in 7th for average player rating on the unofficial chart (4.27).

2nd Place ("Shadows of Purple Wings") was also featured the 1st week of the contest, and it came in 2nd on the unofficial chart for the number of stars. It ended up 11th on that chart for average player rating (4.23).

3rd Place ("Well of Dragons") was featured the 6th week of the contest. The unofficial charts had it listed in 4th place, just 9 stars behind "The Artifact" (which was another 1st week quest), so this one overcame the disadvantage of not being in the 1st batch of quests. Although it had lots of plays, it didn't fare as well in the average player ratings on the unofficial chart, coming in at 37th place (3.86).

The first Judges' Choice ("Sharandar's Defense") was featured the 7th week of the contest, was 2nd to last in the number of stars according to the unofficial chart (just 225 stars), but was 8th in terms of player ratings on the chart (4.25).

The second Judges' Choice ("Arsleu'Tel'Quess") was featured the 8th week, ranked 40th in terms of the number of stars according to the unofficial chart, and ranked 23rd in terms of player ratings (4.06).

Of course, it's important to remember that these are insights from the unofficial charts. Then again, those charts turned out to be pretty darn accurate (thanks, tipadaknife!). Fun stuff to ponder, and I'm looking forward to going back and re-playing some of those winning quests again, as well the "Top Ten" by Player's Ratings:
    3. "Turtle Soup" (4.40)
    4. "A Call for Heroes" (4.36)
    5. "The Dragon's Prize" (4.32)
    6. "The Dragon has 3 Heads... or 5..." (4.30)
    7. "Relative Security" (4.27)
    8. "Sharandar's Defense" (4.25)
    9. "The Icy Depths of the Past" (4.24)
    10. "Tomb of the White Dragon" (4.23) / "Shadows of Purple Wings" (4.23) / "A Date With Destiny" (4.23)

First and foremost, Congrats to the Winners! It's also notable that all of the place winners came from weeks that had absolutely no other events (passive or not) running to subtract overall plays and their corresponding ratings. It would also be interesting to see the 5 winners in one encore week. The contest did increase the awareness that the Foundry exists, and that good creative quests are available. Again, congrats everyone!
    "I don't know, I'm making it up as I go..."
    Featured Foundry Quest: Whispers of an Ancient Evil [v3] - NW-DQ4WKW6ZG
    Foundry Quest: Harper Chronicles: Blacklake - NW-DCPA4W2Q5
  • Options
    pingconcherepingconchere Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Congratulations to the winners! I am pleased with the judges' awards; those two would have been my choices.
    "The Neverwinter Conspiracy" (4.66)

Wow, I didn't know it had such a high rating at the time. My quest (that one) was actually disqualified from the contest for taking way too many liberties with the lore, but I sort of expected that. However, I did not expect that it would actually get featured outside of the contest. It makes me feel like I accomplished something. Sadly, the rating has dropped since then, though that's because I'm getting a ton more reviews (including those that rate low for length or something like that).

I'm motivated to start that sequel I've been putting off, so hopefully more secrets of the Conspiracy will be revealed soon! Again, congrats to the winners and the Foundry community for making this happen.
  • Options
    sn0wst0rmzsn0wst0rmz Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Honestly, since I already have the Dragonborn pack.... I have this code for another one for trade. Any offers?
    "I attack the darkness!"

Foundry Author of Arselu'Tel'Quess (NW-DDQ6P4IKQ)
  • Options
    waryurwaryur Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 167 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Wows.
    Thank you to everyone. Shocked that I won anything at all, let alone third place. This has been an amazing experience for so many reasons. But importantly, it brought a lot of attention to the Foundry, for players and for authors, new and old. Attention it deserves, and for that I am forever grateful.
    Now, let's go script some new adventures. :D
    Hidden Valley Ranch - NW-DPNGENL6E D&D Adventures Part I
    House of 1000 Corpses - NW-DIEYVLCML D&D Adventures Part II
    Well of Dragons - NW-DTPJEKZCT Third Place Winner CotD Foundry Contest
    It's Just a Flesh Wound Pt. 1 - NW-DM8GHAME2 Monty Python!
    It's Just a Flesh Wound Pt. 2 - NW-DFADOS4EX Monty Python!
  • Options
    reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Congratulations everyone, this was a very fun contest to take part in, and I really hope we get more of these in the future.
    Even though I didn't win any prizes I did got my silverback bear thanks to this contest so I'm more than satisfied haha.
    Congratulations to the winners too, I've yet to play all of the winner quests but I'll definitely do it now :)
    Thanks to Akromatik for organizing this aswell, and I wanted to say I'm realy happy and proud to see so many entries from the community.
    2e2qwj6.jpg