test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Cockatrice

faziskontrasztfaziskontraszt Member Posts: 36
edited November 2014 in PvE Discussion
Break this pet in pvp! It's such an unfair advantage, it's driving me crazy.

Alternatively, let players at least turn their characters while rooted, it would make the situation more bearable. A 30 sec cd or the root turning into a hr style grasping root would be way better though. It really sucks that an npc almost completely negates the ability to use your dodges/shifts etc. How does a chicken keep you from moving anyway.
Post edited by faziskontraszt on

Comments

• Options
    valencayvalencay Member Posts: 431 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    because it's a magic chicken bruh, never mess with a magic chicken.
    Aset Xharran, Oppressor CW
  • Options
    lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Because it's not "a chicken". A cockatrice is a bird that could turn people to stone. Since NW has no petrify mechanic, root is the next best thing.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • Options
    valencayvalencay Member Posts: 431 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    Because it's not "a chicken". A cockatrice is a bird that could turn people to stone. Since NW has no petrify mechanic, root is the next best thing.

i think winter wolves have a pretty accurate petrify
    Aset Xharran, Oppressor CW
  • Options
    magiquepursemagiquepurse Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    root is the next best thing.

You mean worse :)

And yes this is one crazy OP oPvP companion, but they already nerfed it once, so I wouldn't expect more fixes.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

Oh, I see. Now it makes more sense, I thought it was just some funky-colored chicken. Still, I think it's too strong, even for a petrifying bird.
  • Options
    asterotgasterotg Member Posts: 1,742 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    They are still available in the AH. If you want it, buy it. It is the best IWDPVP companion, but there will allways be a best companion. If it is not cockatrice, it will be will'o wisp, cankerous mage, blacksmith, rust monster or some other companions.

If cockatrice gets nerfed there will be a post, nerf companion x, then y etc.

Fight a CW with will'o wisp and epic cankerous mage, he will perma CC you.
    Chars: CW, DC, GF, GWF, HR and TR.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited November 2014
  • Options
    crixus8000crixus8000 Member Posts: 1,205 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2014
    It's power would be perfectly acceptable if it was actually a power and not an active bonus.

This is a quote from the wiki. "Any creature that a cockatrice bit could be permanently turned into stone" If the cockatrice isn't even summoned then how do I keep getting bitten ? o.0 unless it's also a ghost bird I don't think it should work this way. Even buff the root as long as it is required to be summoned, that's my opinion anyway.
    Crixus - PVP GF
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jaotutjaotut Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 576 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    just add a 10sec ICD
    Merlin - CW Merlyn - HR Psylocke - TR Black Widow - GWF

Have the gear and skills, but lack the friends to play with? Come and apply for Essence of Aggression. We have been here and strong since beta. (Immature, rude, and arrogant people will not be accepted)
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    jaotut wrote: »
    just add a 10sec ICD

Yes, even better 60 sec. Make it totaly useless. You know it got nerved, it is expensive and it is just viable in IWD PvP. You could ask for all kind of nerfs, if you want, but if the effect is not game breaking imo, you should not get it.

I did IWD mostly alone and I bought one, before the nerf. It did get nerfed, it is strong, live with it. If it is IWDdom or a random fight, the one with the better equip including companions, the better skills, better ping, superior numbers oe. has an advantage. If it is 1v1 I allways ask, if I should make it idle before the fight. If agreed upon, I set all companions on idle.
  • Options
    demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Break this pet in pvp! It's such an unfair advantage, it's driving me crazy.

Alternatively, let players at least turn their characters while rooted, it would make the situation more bearable. A 30 sec cd or the root turning into a hr style grasping root would be way better though. It really sucks that an npc almost completely negates the ability to use your dodges/shifts etc. How does a chicken keep you from moving anyway.

People like this are what will cause neverwinter to fail.
    People that complain over others companions (get the companion if you think it is so great, don't cry because you don't have one)
    People that complain over others items (get the items if you think they are so great, don't cry because you don't have them)
    People that complain over others ability to play the game better (spend more time testing situations if you want to play better)
    People that complain over others class tab functions (if you don't want us to use our tab functions don't use yours)
    People that complain over everything that they can because they somehow are lacking in certain areas. (try harder, play harder)

People like the person above cause nerfs to happen in game and so called QoL changes that make many of my friends leave this game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • Options
    letojarred1letojarred1 Member Posts: 306 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    MY GOD! couple months AGO this COCKaThrice made people CRY in OPVP asking for nerf cause its really broken "AT THAT TIME"
    then they nerfed it. Someone is now totally perplex about it, since you clearly don't have any idea how the pet's root WORK nor counter it. You go to the Forums and "CRY!" so the Whole community cater to your incompetence and ignorance.

P.S. Don't use any DoTs that highly triggers the ROOT. GPF and its elk can do more harm than good for you.

I own 2 of em for my cw and gwf.
    StrawberryCheesecake TR
    BlackberryCheesecake CW
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    CheeseCake House :o
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Don't use any DoTs that highly triggers the ROOT. GPF and its elk can do more harm than good for you
    Really?

Am I expected to use what, if I fight you with my HR or CW, both are full of DoTs and Procs? Don't use Careful Attack? Don't spec Piercing Blade? Don't spec thaum with Elemental Empowerment? Avoid CoI and RoE?

What about SWs? They are full of DoTs?

This companion fully invalidates escape mechanics for classes that need it to survive. It was an extremely dumb idea to introduce something like this and it's the most overpowered thing in oPvP.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    macjae wrote: »
    It is still game-breaking. Some classes depend on the ability to dodge to be able to survive; some classes need to use dots to put out sufficient damage. So it disproportionately affects some classes over others.

More importantly, it's game-breaking in a different way: It's not fun to play against at all, which reduces the incentive to participate. For my own part, I don't go there as much as I would if it weren't possible to run into people running that companion. I consider it just about lame enough that I won't use it, and I don't like losing to people who use it solely because of the advantage it provides, so I stay away from the area as much as possible instead.

As said, it is different in a 1v1. Otherwise CWs can use it as any other class. Combine it with willowisp and cankerous mage and you will get a perma CC faceroll CW. Ranged classes can use better than other classes. I fought a CW with aforementioned setup. He ruled 1v1 in 95% of the fights.

Devs decided to use companions in IWDPvP. Use the right companions and you will have a huge advantage, Cockatrice is just one of them.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    asterotg wrote: »
    Devs decided to use companions in IWDPvP. Use the right companions and you will have a huge advantage, Cockatrice is just one of them.
    That was a very bad decision.

The solution is not for everyone to use a cocktrice, to make the situation even worse and horribad, obviously.

You can't expect **** from people, because as soon as one broken mechanic is made available (and we have many, and A LOT more to come in M5), all the nabs jump on the boat and try to get some free kills.

Pretty much the conclusion is you cannot have people self-regulating themselves, you need the devs to :

- stop introducing OP lame stuff
    - fix existing OP lame stuff without making it unusable (hello, Raven and Emblem)
    - test properly before releasing
    - closely collaborate with the PROVEN community members that know what they are doing/speaking about, not the self-interested dudes that just "want to be OP for a while" cause reasons, as I saw somebody posting recently
  • Options
    lewel555lewel555 Member Posts: 616 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    your incompetence and ignorance.

This bird's passive is not WAI. As a mod say the devs were unable to implement the actual "petrify" ability and chose a (terrible) root substitute instead. Cockatrice should simply not root. Therefore, learning to hijack it is not knowledge, and not even wanting to learn a hijack is not incompetence. Whining as you're doing, letojarred, is no substitute for factual reasoning.
  • Options
    rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2014
    I think it is probably the best companion to have at the moment in iwp.

I wished it was a quest reward companion from icewind dale if its' active bonuses where to stay the same as it is now to normalize balance.
  • Options
    jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    You leave my cockatrice alone !!! It's already only half as good as it was when I bought it. Poor birdy.
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • Options
    marko531marko531 Member Posts: 32
    edited November 2014
    This pet destroyed IWD pvp small player base into nothing, but even if they nerf it to the ground iwd pvp will never be popular, it has many problems not just cockatrice pet. Personally i think all companions and those 10 sec healing pots should be removed from IWD pvp. Just imagine the broken HR immortal who's using cockatrice + those pots and the regular pvp pots lol.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    People like this are what will cause neverwinter to fail.
    People that complain over others companions (get the companion if you think it is so great, don't cry because you don't have one)
    People that complain over others items (get the items if you think they are so great, don't cry because you don't have them)
    People that complain over others ability to play the game better (spend more time testing situations if you want to play better)
    People that complain over others class tab functions (if you don't want us to use our tab functions don't use yours)
    People that complain over everything that they can because they somehow are lacking in certain areas. (try harder, play harder)

People like the person above cause nerfs to happen in game and so called QoL changes that make many of my friends leave this game.

Now take off your blinders and respond to the suggestions you carefully ignored. Your comparison between a feedback on a valid issue and your list of various crying for nerfs is trash, btw.
  • Options
    obsydian666obsydian666 Member Posts: 329 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    This companion is too OP, i stopped going to OPvP becouse of Cockatrice. As a CW i must run to survive, but Cockatrice make it impossible. I deal a lot of DoTs from skills and plague then don't tell me stop use DOTs, cw isn't 40k one shot dealer like GWFs or Tanks. This is simply CWs killer, when i meet guy with Cockatrice it's mean for me death with no even possible chance to escape.